Tipping on Cruise

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
going on our first cruise in January...do you tip the waiter/waitress each evening, in the beginning or at the end?

At the end. You get small envelopes to give to basically everyone that served you daily with the suggested tip amount (it is calculated * number of cruise days).

You can also pre-pay your tips if you want. All you have to do is give them a call. I always do that.

Envelopes will appear in your cabin before the end of the cruise and then you can add extra tips if you want.

The exception being if you do any of the upcharge adult dining (Palo or Remy). In that case, you would tip them when you receive the bill.

The tip will automatically be added to your account (you can adjust it as needed at guest services, or add more cash to the envelopes at the end if you wish.) The standard gratuity amount is $13.50/cruiser/day...if you have 4 people in your room, you'd pay $54/day in tips. The $13.50/cruiser/day breaks down as $4.50 for the stateroom host, $4.50 for the server, $3.50 for the assistant server, $1 for the head server. As others have said, you'll get slips/envelopes to give to the 4 people towards the end of your cruise.

The only other tips you may want would be some cash for the free room service (we do $1/item ordered), and tips for adult dining, (and maybe for luggage handling in the port). Any drinks ordered from the bars already have a 15% tip added to them, and spa services already have a tip added to their totals. The auto gratuities are meant to cover ALL your regular dining on the ship--breakfasts/lunch/snacks/dinner, etc--doesn't matter who is helping you at the other locations.

What if you order the wine package - do you tip separate each night you have wine? Or still no tip til the end?

What if you order the wine package - do you tip separate each night you have wine? Or still no tip til the end?
When you buy the wine package they add the auto gratuity to the cost of the package (like for all beverage purchases). No extra tip is required, unless you feel the service warrants it.

Reactions: AGP
I always pre-pay the gratuities and typically add a little extra for exemplary service.

If I have breakfast in the morning before debarkation I’ll give them their envelopes then, but the last cruise we had to get off super early (7:30 express) to catch our flight so we ate at cabanas (pretty decent offerings-I was expecting a continental) so I tipped them the night before.

You can also pre-pay your tips if you want.

Although all this does is create a credit on your account; the recipients still don't get it until the end of the cruise the same as if you didn't prepay. You have the same options to increase or decrease at the end regardless of whether you prepay or wait until later.

When you order drinks, there will be an autogratuity that is added to the charge which is shared amongst bar staff. You can still add another tip, or not as you choose (we always do), and that goes to the specific server or bartender.

Although all this does is create a credit on your account; the recipients still don't get it until the end of the cruise the same as if you didn't prepay. You have the same options to increase or decrease at the end regardless of whether you prepay or wait until later.

When you order drinks, there will be an autogratuity that is added to the charge which is shared amongst bar staff. You can still add another tip, or not as you choose (we always do), and that goes to the specific server or bartender.
Agreed...and I’ll generally leave $1.50 per drink on top of the autogratuity (I believe it’s still 18%) based on the service.

If you add your tips to your cruise fare and use your Disney Visa 6 month no interest it just helps spread out the payments . If you wait to put it on your visa at the end of the cruise it doesn’t qualify for 6 months interest free. You can bring gift cards to apply to your shipboard account for the gratuities.
Note*
If you prepay the gratuities the charges and credit no longer appear on your shipboard account invoice during the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter