Tip for the Lowe's delivery guy?

A friend's husband works for Lowes and his employee went above and beyond a regular delivery by moving other things around for her, she tried to tip him $20 and he refused, so she gave him a $10 and told him to go buy lunch with it. She called Lowes to tell them what a great job he did and how happy she was and that she bought him lunch....he got fired!

That is horrible. When it is really a busy time of year a lot of big box stores use independent contractors to ensure the next day delivery policy. So they are not subject to the same rules as an employee of Lowes. These drivers are paid by the stop not by time. If he was employed by Lowes directly, he probably was receiving a salary or hourly wage. Lowes saw it as him using the stop for personal gain. Still stinks.

I don't see why you can't at least offer. If they can't accept tips, they'll politely decline. If they can accept tips, they'll appreciate it. I would absolutely at least offer.

We always tip and well,too. I agree with someone who said people "in real life" probably tip a lot more than the thrifty group we have on the budget boards. Which I am on and Love!
Our employees get cash all the time at service calss, installations that can be 1 day or many. They have people get them drinks, food, buy them lunch... They've recv'd 10/20 all the way to 100 each.
We wouldn't even think of not tipping.

We always tip. I am sure the deliverymen's salary is on the low side. To the poster, who is comparing tipping a deliveryman VS tipping a doctor or nurse, that is comical.

I just had a delivery and tipped $30. I think they deserved at least that much! Great guys and they did a wonderful job. I don't buy lots of new products and I'm not frivolous with money..my thinking is that since I don't waste money on coffee runs every day or have a house keeper, gardener or pool guy, I can tip well when I do make a purchase and make someone's day. We need to be nicer to one another! I work very hard for the money I earn and so did the delivery guys today. Thanks Lowes for having such great service!

We got our refrigerator from Lowes, and I didn't even think about tipping. Maybe I am a cheapskate or something.

I know when I worked in retail, we were not allowed to accept tips. Of course I wasn't lugging appliances or anything. I worked for Walmart, and believe it or not, I was actually offered a tip a couple times.

Yup I worked in several retail jobs starting at a 7-11. I never really got offered tips but at some jobs it was policy to turn it down and even gifts over $15 (so that box of chocolates better come from CVS not Godiva lol). For me as far as I was concerned I accepted the job at the rate they offered and never expected anyone to tip me even if it seemed like I was doing more work for them. I don't tip from big box retailers because as far as I am concerned the delivery is part of the purchase or they charged a fee for it (furniture, refrigerator, etc). I did tip my movers as they worked for a small independant company and provided great service, so it was money well spent. I don't think I'm cheap but I do totally feel you need to draw a line and if I purchase an item that must be delivered to me such as a mattress, I shouldn't then have to give the employee some cash for doing their job that is required for the company to get the product to me. Some people have UPS at thier house everyday with amazon orders but never think to tip then so its the same difference to me.

This is an old thread...Lowes doesn't even employ delivery people anymore, they contract it all out to owner operators. And their contracts do say taking a tip will result in their contract being canceled. My wife's nephews manage Lowes stores in Texas, and none of their delivery contracts want to lose the contract. It is hard work, but they make great money.
Tipping of course is a personal choice. For me, it is only something I do for someone making near minimum wage, not someone making $25+ an hour.

We always tip $20, it's always been accepted; Lowe's, Home Depot and Sears included.

I don't tip for furniture or appliance delivery. Those guys probably make more than I do. If the are working an 8 hour day they can probably average 4-5 deliveries per day. If the are tipped $10 for each delivery that is $200 to $250 a week extra! They knew what the job involved when the were hired. What about the people at the warehouse that load the trucks, or the workers that load the trucks at the manufacturers? They are all lifting the same heavy appliances and not getting tips. I tip generously for food delivery, restaurant servers, and other positions when I know that tips make up a good part of their salary.

So, checked this thread while the delivery guys were in my kitchen putting in my new refrigerator. They hauled the old one out and had to take my front door off to fit it in. They were beyond polite and very careful. I visited this thread to make sure the $50 tip I was giving them wasn't going to be an insult. They were clearly independent contractors and I don't really care what they get an hour. When they are delivering my very expensive fridge, installing it in my house, and taking the old one away, I felt they deserved a gratuity. Just my 2 cents.

Most people tip the pizza gal, or guy, and all they do is drop off a pizza at the door! Appliances weigh 150-400 pounds and have to be maneuvered up stairs, around furniture etc. Do the math, those guys deserve a tip! Even $5 or $10 adds up, and it shows your appreciation for all of the extra effort that goes in to hooking up your appliance, and hauling away the old one (or moving it to the garage).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter