Timekeeper *NOT CLOSING FOR GOOD*

JMack12

Earning My Ears
According to some very reliable CMs we talk to quite often at MK, Timekeeper will *NOT* be closing for good. It is only down for a summer rehab, with new projectors and a new A/C system scheduled to go in. We have been told that TK will reopen by Labor Day weekend.

Nobody seems to belive me when I say things like that, apparently, I've been "breathing too much pixie dust." It's nice to see a post about Timekeeper that's niether hysterical or angry. Thanks for that, it's refreshing to read.

I tried to say the same thing on another thread and was quickly told that I shouldn't believe everything I hear.
Go figure...
Thanks for all the great information you give us Steve! You are usually right on the money!

Strange that they would be replacing the A/C? That had to be the coldest A/C in WDW. The cold air was a joy to feel even standing just outside the doors.

Hi all,

Please tell me that as part of the rehab they
will add seats. In my opinion this would help
this attraction the most.

Originally posted by HorizonsFan
I tried to say the same thing on another thread and was quickly told that I shouldn't believe everything I hear.
Go figure...

I'm the one who told you not to believe everything you hear....and I'm saying the same in this case as well.

I hope TK re-opens. I personally enjoy the show. I really like Robin Williams work with it.

But I'm not holding out hope. I hope I'm wrong, but correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't 20K go down for a temporary rehab as well? Weren't the CM's told it would re-open shortly?

Reports from yesterday indicate that all signs referring to the attraction have been removed, it no longer appears on park maps, and it is no longer mentioned on the TTA.

Doesn't sound like a rehab to me.

The official WDW website still has it listed and says it's closed for rehab. They probably don't want to go around mentioning a ride that's being fixed up. But hey, what do I know?

Intercot.com is reporting:

Timekeeper Not History Yet?
Recently Walt Disney World closed the Timekeeper attraction in Tomorrowland. Many rumors have circulated that the attraction would be closed permanently and a new attraction would be developed to take its place,
possibly even another character meet and greet. Although this may be a temporary solution to utilize the space, it appears it will only be temporary. Timekeeper is currently scheduled to be closed until at least October and the Timekeeper animatronic will be totally rebuilt to increase reliability and correct some chronic problems that have developed over time. Unless the current plan changes, Timekeeper will return.
-May 10

...as one of those who is likely to say things like "don't believe everything you hear," I just wanted you to know that I never mean to imply you're personally becoming pixie-dust-addled.

I do think it's reasonable, in this situation, to point out that 20,000 Leagues was originally listed as "closed for rehab," and that it never opened again.

You've never given me any reason to doubt the things you've told me. If I seem to sometimes, it's because I suspect Eisner has to cut a few budgets every day before he can settle in for a good night's sleep, and that he might not check with park CM's before changing previously announced plans.

It's not disbelief in your word that makes me suspect the 'Keeper may be running out of Time. It's the historically low attendance versus capacity at that attraction that makes me think it might end up looking like low-hanging fruit on the budget-cut vine before it gets a chance to re-open.

Jeff

Originally posted by wbk
Intercot.com is reporting:

Recently Walt Disney World closed the Timekeeper attraction in Tomorrowland. Many rumors have circulated that the attraction would be closed permanently and a new attraction would be developed to take its place,
possibly even another character meet and greet. Although this may be a temporary solution to utilize the space, it appears it will only be temporary. Timekeeper is currently scheduled to be closed until at least October and the Timekeeper animatronic will be totally rebuilt to increase reliability and correct some chronic problems that have developed over time. Unless the current plan changes, Timekeeper will return.
-May 10

I have a hard time believing that. First of all, as already mentioned, all references to the attraction have been removed from the park. That is very untypical for an attraction undergoing refurbishment.
Secondly, a longer version of the attraction has been operating at DLP for more than 2 1/2 years longer. It seems unlikely that the newer animatronic would have developed serious problems that didn't show up in the original before. Reports about the attraction malfunctioning have been very rare, so it's hard to accept this as a valid reason.
I would love to see it reopen, preferably with the FULL version of "From Time to Time", but I just don't see it happening.

If rehab was in order wouldn't they have been more forthcoming about this. Why not say "for the benefits of our guests we are going to do an overhaul. Look for TK to be back later in the year". Just like they did with HOP. Maybe, it's fate is pending customer response to the closing?

Given that attendance is reported to be thin, does it make sense to put much money into this attraction. Maybe, better to operate on a limited basis and save the money for something new.

Hi all,
Just an FYI,we were there last week and as previous posters mentioned,<b>All</b>references to the Timekeeper have been removed from the attraction and park maps.CMs we spoke with in T-land also said it was to be no more.And if I'm not mistaken,I'm pretty sure it use to be part of the spiel on the TTA and this time it was not.:(

A lot of CMs told us COP was gone for good, too, a few years ago when it was down for rehab and they changed the theme song back to the original. Wait and see....

For the summer, the lobby of Timekeeper is to be used as a Character Greeting area. There is no Character presence currently in Tommorowland, so they decided to put some use to the lobby area. It will be run similarly to the Fantasyland Character Festival in the old 20K queue line. Hmmmm................

-May 10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a hard time believing that.

Everybody was quick to believe Intercot when they said Timekeeper was closing. Why is it so hard to believe them now? Perhaps because some want fuel for their fire...

There's enough problems with Timekeeper (lack of seating) to justify closing it for good, there's also enough magic to make it worth fixing. In My opinion, 20k is a horrible example as that ride mechanism sucked. I know I've repeated it a million times, but 20,000K was not repairable. Every trip I ever took to WDW when the ride was still there, the ride was broken down. This is from the early 80's on. So to me 20K and Timekeeper are Apples and oranges.

My oldest DD and I liked Timekeeper a lot. My youngest DD didn't (too many loud hisses, etc. in the beginning) and my DH didn't like it either, mostly because there were no seats.
The "no seats" part is what I heard people complain about most.
The last times we went on it, it was far from full. Most people didn't listen to the preshow and then didn't get what was going on in the show. From what I have observed and I read somewhere, many Americans don't have a clue who Jules Verne and H. G. Wells are. Without that piece, Timekeeper is just a 3D movie with characters you have never heard of.

We saw a fair number of people walk in and go right thru to the exit when they saw it wasn't a ride. My DD and I enjoy the theming of that whole ride. It was interesting to us to see how they used the building and changed it from the 3D around America movie that was there into a "you are in the future and this is one of the new products we are showing you" theme. A lot of people are not interested in that though. We seem to hear a lot more "don't theme it at all, just drop me or move me fast" mentality in the parks. (I actually heard someone say that after coming out of TOT). IMHO, the theming is what makes the rest of the ride worthwhile and makes the trip to WDW an experience.

For 20,000 leagues, I'm surprised it stayed open as long as it did. It was slow to load and often not working at all. Even when it did work, it was a low volume ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter