Time to bring back fast passes!!!

@JETSDAD and @disneygirlsng those situations only work if you are able to stack your FP+ to use them quickly. If you really want to ride SDD and your FP+ is 6:30p then you are out of luck unless you get lucky to bump it up.
I would never tie FP's up for an entire day with an evening FP. Use them early and often and keep using them throughout the entire day. I might grab a later one just to make refreshing quicker but you could ride so many more rides through the day with little to no wait through the FP line that even if you did not get a SDD FP you would still be much further ahead with that one wait. That being said, even headliners like SDD and FOP could be found day of.

We can argue about it until the cows come home but I am pretty sure, given the way crowds tend to behave and the information provided by Disney about FP+, that it benefited very few people and actually decreased satisfaction for a larger number of guests as well as reduced in-park spend since people who are in line don’t spend money, and people who don’t enter the park until their return time aren’t in the park in the first place. I believe there is a data site for this so maybe I will put that masters in Analytics to good use and put some numbers behind my theory.

I know many of the one-time visitors I have talked to, and these include many people in income brackets Disney would love to attract, have been totally appalled that they could pay $10k for a vacation and maybe (or maybe not) get a FP for Frozen for their 4 year old. Many chose to do VIP tours rather than deal with it - Disney’s dream customer. You can bet if there were unlimited FP they’d buy it, and if there were no FP at all they’d be game for that too, because most people on vacation don’t want to need a spreadsheet and 6 people with super fast smartphones just to be able to do anything on vacation.

I would love to have the old free FP system back.
I have seen several FP threads on these boards in the last few months and it seems that the same group (10-20 people) of people who hate the old FP system posting on all of them.

Most of the people who have been going to the parks during pandemic are AP holders, DVC owners, or locals. Parks are already crowded with these groups. These are not big spenders for Disney. Disney already has their money. Yes, because of the social distancing, lines seem much longer, but it wouldn't matter if you still have to wait close to an hour in line.

Big spenders are once a year visitors who spend money on hotels, tickets, souvenirs, and restaurants. Many of them are from overseas or stay onsite for 2-3 weeks. These people will show up after the pandemic is over. Imagine the crowds you will see at that time. If you are spending $5-10K per visit, imagine how frustrated you will be if you have to spend hours in line. You might say, they are spending thousands per visit, it wouldn't matter if you spend another $1K for FP. With FP, ME (pay for transportation), EMH, etc... gone, they all add up. So, now, our repeat visitors will decide to go to other desirable locations (Universal, Europe, all-inclusive resorts). Disney would no longer be a repeat visit for these people. Disney might see a big surge in crowds after pandemic and 50th anniversary, but it will not last and they will have to bring back discounts to increase profit.

I would never tie FP's up for an entire day with an evening FP. Use them early and often and keep using them throughout the entire day. I might grab a later one just to make refreshing quicker but you could ride so many more rides through the day with little to no wait through the FP line that even if you did not get a SDD FP you would still be much further ahead with that one wait. That being said, even headliners like SDD and FOP could be found day of.

I actually agree with you because I also "use" the system but for many a specific ride is important to them and it does completely stop them from getting extra FP+. If I am being objective I just think it is a broken system, but will continue to gain an advantage where I can if that is what is in place.

Side Note: I was put on a timer which had to finish before I could post again. Did I do something wrong? That has never happened to me before

Making it fair for everyone
Disney has never been about making it fair for everyone. It's always been, and always will be, pay more, get more.
The days of virtually unlimited free fastpasses for those with nimble thumbs are, I strongly suspect, gone for good
I believe you're right about this. Why would Disney continue to give away it's most valuable commodity, when almost every other park charges for that kind of convenience? The pandemic was just what they needed to rip the bandaid off.
Disney spends an incredible amount of energy trying to make things better for its guests. You’ll see. Let’s talk again in 8 months.
I'd argue that Disney does spend an incredible amount of energy...trying to figure out ways to get guests to pay for a better experience.
Early Magic Mornings, After Hours, Halloween starting in August, Christmas Parties, Desert Parties, Club Level FP offering, etc. Logic suggests the main FP system is next.
Maxpass style at WDW would be an entire different beast. Assuming an increase to $30 a person a family of 4 on a five day trip that is an extra $600, if that same family does a 10 days trip that is $1,200
Couldn't agree more. Even at $30pp per day, the way WDW prices everything else, it will be seen as a mandatory add-on. Ticket prices will instantly go up by whatever they charge for it. Everyone will have it and nothing will change.

I’m amused that people dislike fastpasses because they “lengthen the standby lines”. Why are you getting in a long standby line. Pre-pandemic we had not gotten into a standby line of over 20 minutes in years. Learn how to use the system. We easily get 8+ Fastpasses in a day and routinely can get FoP, SDD, Seven Dwarfs, Frozen, and other e-rides on the day of. I just shake my head at the people in a 2 hour long stand by line. It just makes no sense with the Fastpass system, although I do feel some pleasure in knowing I don’t have to get in those lines because so many don’t know how to effectively use FP+... I know, shame on me.
To add, we only used the basic 3 fastpasses a day and still never waited more then 20 minutes.

Disney has never been about making it fair for everyone. It's always been, and always will be, pay more, get more.

I believe you're right about this. Why would Disney continue to give away it's most valuable commodity, when almost every other park charges for that kind of convenience? The pandemic was just what they needed to rip the bandaid off.

I'd argue that Disney does spend an incredible amount of energy...trying to figure out ways to get guests to pay for a better experience.
Early Magic Mornings, After Hours, Halloween starting in August, Christmas Parties, Desert Parties, Club Level FP offering, etc. Logic suggests the main FP system is next.

Couldn't agree more. Even at $30pp per day, the way WDW prices everything else, it will be seen as a mandatory add-on. Ticket prices will instantly go up by whatever they charge for it. Everyone will have it and nothing will change.
My point was, if you’re not going to monetize it, then it should be open to everyone. The old system, which required you to physically show up at a ride to get “in line” for it, was much more equitable. Pro users had a whole strategy and runners and all sorts of crazy things, while everyone else was free to simply grab one for a ride they wanted and do something else. The current system requires you to know exactly what you want to do, when, and how; Disney is probably learning that forcing people to plan everything reduces the impulsive behavior that they profit a great deal off of. Now that they’ve had the excuse for the experiment, they will not go back, it will become paid or it will go away completely to a day-of system like MaxPass.

To add, we only used the basic 3 fastpasses a day and still never waited more then 20 minutes.
I love when these type of posts are dropped into FP strings:rotfl2:. No context. Just a "everything is all good" and then sit back and wait for the fireworks! haha

My point was, if you’re not going to monetize it, then it should be open to everyone. The old system, which required you to physically show up at a ride to get “in line” for it, was much more equitable. Pro users had a whole strategy and runners and all sorts of crazy things, while everyone else was free to simply grab one for a ride they wanted and do something else. The current system requires you to know exactly what you want to do, when, and how; Disney is probably learning that forcing people to plan everything reduces the impulsive behavior that they profit a great deal off of. Now that they’ve had the excuse for the experiment, they will not go back, it will become paid or it will go away completely to a day-of system like MaxPass.
Fair enough.

However, if they miss this opportunity to relaunch as a paid (partial or completely) service, the entire upper management team should be fired for mismanagement.

I actually agree with you because I also "use" the system but for many a specific ride is important to them and it does completely stop them from getting extra FP+. If I am being objective I just think it is a broken system, but will continue to gain an advantage where I can if that is what is in place.

Side Note: I was put on a timer which had to finish before I could post again. Did I do something wrong? That has never happened to me before
I don't think you did anything wrong. DId you make several posts in a row? Do you type fast? (I've had that happen a few times when I've made a few short posts in a row).

I love when these type of posts are dropped into FP strings:rotfl2:. No context. Just a "everything is all good" and then sit back and wait for the fireworks! haha
I'm sorry my fact causes fireworks. This is a truth for us. You need more context- we open the park and take a break mid day. I'm not spending thousands of dollars to stand in long lines with screaming littles who don't have a miraculous level of patience. This has been true for us in March-October time frames. (We don't go during flu season). I'm not sure why your tone and insults were necessary.

Been going to DW every year since it opened. We always are at rope drop and do fast passes, ADR's and never wait in line. Usually we rode everything that we wanted. In November lines were so long we rode 1 ride in most parks. There were no shows, no rides that "never have lines", no stop anywhere to eat. No fireworks, shops had lines to get in. Nice restaurants had only a few menu items and some places used inferior ingredients. It seems to have gotten even worse. Have you seen pics of Valentines Day?!
Went to MK on Valentines day. It was total madness lol! We kept seeing people go in through the fast pass line for whatever reason (rider swap etc) and my dad would go "can we go ask if we can do that??". So we definitely felt the lack of fast passes that day. We went to Universal in 2018 and got unlimited express pass from our resort, and it was AMAZING! I think if Disney could implement something like that, where depending on your resort you get more fast passes built in, that could really work and would persuade a lot more people to stay on property.

For whatever reason, you cannot post again immediately after posting. It happens to me often... might think of something else I want to say and try to send a send another post quickly, and I get the pop-up telling me I have to wait to repost. Just have to wait for the time to count down, then you can send your second post! You didn’t do anything wrong 🙂 (Sorry if that sounds like a tongue twister!) lol

I'm sorry my fact causes fireworks. This is a truth for us. You need more context- we open the park and take a break mid day. I'm not spending thousands of dollars to stand in long lines with screaming littles who don't have a miraculous level of patience. This has been true for us in March-October time frames. (We don't go during flu season). I'm not sure why your tone and insults were necessary.
While it may be a fact or truth for you, I think you can agree, it needed context. No? After you use your 3 included FP, you actively avoid long lines with your little kids, because they don't have the patience for them. Makes perfect sense. Those of us with little kids completely understand.

I do apologize for my mocking, but I stand behind context was needed.

It's very similar when people post in FP strings about getting whatever they want, whenever they want...only to find out later they are solo travelers, with an AP, who go multiple times per year.

I do miss fast passes.
We went in Dec. and end up leaving everyday after lunch. By then the lines were too long. We have been often enough, and always get fast passes, it wasn't worth the wait for us.
The lines do look longer than they are, but there is a person or a sign saying how long the wait is.
But.....mornings are so nice.
just play along with me what would you do while waiting for your FP time? no parades, no meet and greets, lines waiting for food and to shop. play areas not open. I am just wondering things are not the same yes you dont want to wait in lines but what are you going to do while waiting?

The old paper FP system was incredibly difficult for single parents or those traveling without help while caring for others. Physically criss crossing a park can be very difficult for those with mobility issues as well.

Reactions: CJN
While it may be a fact or truth for you, I think you can agree, it needed context. No? After you use your 3 included FP, you actively avoid long lines with your little kids, because they don't have the patience for them. Makes perfect sense. Those of us with little kids completely understand.

I do apologize for my mocking, but I stand behind context was needed.

It's very similar when people post in FP strings about getting whatever they want, whenever they want...only to find out later they are solo travelers, with an AP, who go multiple times per year.
My whole point was the current/precovid fastpass structure wasn't all bad creating long lines in everything and only benefitting those who are logged on to their phones constantly or who have special knowledge. Our family will not be able to handle a price hike to the degree paid fast pass would entail and the current lines do make it impossible for us to do any rides like SDMT which my 5 year old would enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter