Tiana's Bayou Adventure..Yea or nay?

the movie isn't a fav of mine, not even close. I don't enjoy it, I don't like the music or the story. My kids to like it but are too scared of rides with drops, I will ride it but can't see it being a fav like Splash is.
I am a MASSIVE Brer Rabbit fan so it cuts deep for me.

Yeah, Splash's days were numbered regardless. I do still wish they were doing different themes at DL and WDW though.
It was most likely cheaper on Disney's end to keep the same theme across both coasts than for each resort to get a different theme. No need to pay for different animatronics when you can use the same molds twice.

If it eventually gets rethemed in Tokyo, the theme will probably not be Princess and the Frog as that is not a popular movie over there.

It was most likely cheaper on Disney's end to keep the same theme across both coasts than for each resort to get a different theme. No need to pay for different animatronics when you can use the same molds twice.

If it eventually gets rethemed in Tokyo, the theme will probably not be Princess and the Frog as that is not a popular movie over there.

Oh, I'm sure it was cheaper - I still wish they were doing something different.

Actually too, on ething to note, Splash only is what it is so they could reuse the America Sings animatronics. They probably only chose the story as they looked through the back catalog for singing animals.

Last edited:

This is most likely the case. The maintenance is probably easier not to mention the creation of the animatronics for both coasts is more efficient if they do both and keep them uniform.

I'll disagree that Tokyo will ever get a retheme. I think the sensibilities and historical context of both the ride and the Song of the South origin just doesn't matter to Japanese audiences. Also, given it's not really under the management of Disney, it won't get rethemed. To the Japanese, I'd imagine all of it is just a story about an animated rabbit trying to escape an animated fox and bear.

Oh, I'm sure it was cheaper - I still wish they were doing something different.
I wouldn't have been opposed to the original concept being in DLR and the new concept in WDW. That would have been super cool, they probably could have reused some molds that way to.

This is most likely the case. The maintenance is probably easier not to mention the creation of the animatronics for both coasts is more efficient if they do both and keep them uniform.

I'll disagree that Tokyo will ever get a retheme. I think the sensibilities and historical context of both the ride and the Song of the South origin just doesn't matter to Japanese audiences. Also, given it's not really under the management of Disney, it won't get rethemed. To the Japanese, I'd imagine all of it to Japanese audiences is just a story about an animated rabbit trying to escape an animated fox and bear.
I agree in that regard about Splash and the movie it's based on to Japanese audiences. The Brer characters are considered to be "cute" which they LOVE. I even heard that the original movie is public domain in Japan so I'm not sure if OLC would even need Disney's permission to keep the IP (not an expert on that stuff, so don't quote me on that).

I said "if" it got rethemed because I don't think it will either. There are rumors that Disney showed OLC the plans for Tiana and asked them to consider the retheme, but OLC said no. Not sure at all if that is true or not.

I wouldn't have been opposed to the original concept being in DLR and the new concept in WDW. That would have been super cool, they probably could have reused some molds that way to.
Are you meaning the concept of the ship in the tree or Splash staying at DLR?

I agree in that regard about Splash and the movie it's based on to Japanese audiences. The Brer characters are considered to be "cute" which they LOVE. I even heard that the original movie is public domain in Japan so I'm not sure if OLC would even need Disney's permission to keep the IP (not an expert on that stuff, so don't quote me on that).

I said "if" it got rethemed because I don't think it will either. There are rumors that Disney showed OLC the plans for Tiana and asked them to consider the retheme, but OLC said no. Not sure at all if that is true or not.
Yes. I'd imagine all of that is accurate. I don't want to make assumptions but I would imagine a ride centered around a black princess might be a difficult concept for Japanese audiences to warm up to. Especially if it's replacing a beloved ride which is thought of by many as the definitive version of the ride.

I know the ride needed to come down but I'll reiterate that I wish it had stayed at WDW but with an acknowledgement of problems with its origin plastered on it. Maybe that would've taken guests out of the Disney bubble but I think it would've been a good compromise versus complete erasure. Disney does that with Disney+ content from bygone eras with the disclaimers before old cartoons and movies like Dumbo.

Actually too, on ething to note, Splash only is what it is so they could reuse the America Sings animatronics. They probably only chose the story as they looked through the back catalog for singing animals.
When it first opened, they got a lot of flack for re-using old characters. I hope they keep history alive and bring a few of the original America Sings characters to the new attraction. If nothing else, maybe some hidden homage similar to Melvin, Buff and Max on the Pooh ride.

This article about America Sings is fun to read. It has videos of the old ride and characters.

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2010/7/3/america-sings.html

When it first opened, they got a lot of flack for re-using old characters. I hope they keep history alive and bring a few of the original America Sings characters to the new attraction. If nothing else, maybe some hidden homage similar to Melvin, Buff and Max on the Pooh ride.

This article about America Sings is fun to read. It has videos of the old ride and characters.

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2010/7/3/america-sings.html

I think they will because the talking/singing animals fit right in with the story from the movie. Likely the generic creatures will remian.

the movie isn't a fav of mine, not even close. I don't enjoy it, I don't like the music or the story. My kids to like it but are too scared of rides with drops, I will ride it but can't see it being a fav like Splash is.
I am a MASSIVE Brer Rabbit fan so it cuts deep for me.
I really wish Disneyland had built Tiana her own original ride. What's going to happen in 30+ years if people get tired of Bayou Adventure? I wonder if they'll retheme it again.

Yes. I'd imagine all of that is accurate. I don't want to make assumptions but I would imagine a ride centered around a black princess might be a difficult concept for Japanese audiences to warm up to. Especially if it's replacing a beloved ride which is thought of by many as the definitive version of the ride.

I know the ride needed to come down but I'll reiterate that I wish it had stayed at WDW but with an acknowledgement of problems with its origin plastered on it. Maybe that would've taken guests out of the Disney bubble but I think it would've been a good compromise versus complete erasure. Disney does that with Disney+ content from bygone eras with the disclaimers before old cartoons and movies like Dumbo.
Having been on Tokyo's version of Splash, yeah it is the best one. The animatronics look amazing because they were actually maintained unlike in WDW and DL. I rode Splash in WDW in late December of last year and it was a little heartbreaking to see how bad that ride looked. From videos, DL's didn't look as bad but it wasn't good either. I really, really hope Disney puts in the effort (aka money) into maintaining Tiana, especially if the animatronics are more advanced than the America Sings figures.

This is just me personally but I didn't even know Splash was based on a problematic movie until I was an adult. I had no clue who the characters were as a kid or that they were from a movie. But in terms of showing the more "problematic" movies on Disney+ I agree with that.

I really wish Disneyland had built Tiana her own original ride. What's going to happen in 30+ years if people get tired of Bayou Adventure? I wonder if they'll retheme it again.
I'm sure they will. We know characters in Disney movies are added for merch sales. Do you ever watch Disney movies and wonder if the movie was written for a theme park ride or show? I couldn't help but imagine a new WOC when I watched Raya.

They are expanding on the New Orleans/Southern theme for that region of the park. For example, the next couple of weeks, Celebrate Soulfully will have artists signing at Eudora's Chic Boutique instead of at Disneyana. I'm sure there will be films released in the future with the intent to build on that southern theme.

I'm excited. I think Disney will plus it up enough to make it a worthy successor to Splash Mountain. Will it top SM, probably not. There's a lot of nostalgia it will be going up against. I'll be honest though, I think Guardians is much more enjoyable experience at CA than Tower of Terror was. However, I like that ToT is still an option in Orlando. I would be unhappy if it was made into Guardians there. I wished they could've kept Splash Mountain in WDW as it just fit better in that park.

All that said, Tiana at DL makes too much sense given the proximity to New Orleans Square. It's almost a natural bridge from NOS to Haunted Mansion (Garden District), out to the bayou.

Now if you really want to wow me, Disney, put in some Dr. Facilier and the Shadow Friends when you're about to climb the final hill before the drop. It almost makes too much sense to make that ominous climb with "Are You Ready" playing as you go up. But I get Disney is probably going to make it less scary so it's friendly for most ages. It just feels like that's a missed opportunity.

Our next return trip to DLR is after this opens.
That is the BEST idea!!! I honestly got chills reading your idea...can't you just hear it? It would really set the stage for the drop.

That is the BEST idea!!! I honestly got chills reading your idea...can't you just hear it? It would really set the stage for the drop.

Yeah, I like it too. Leaving out Facillier is a huge miss, if that is indeed the plan. They seem so concerned about it being scary for kids, but dark rides are supposed to be a little scary. Snow White's Scary Adventures was the name of her ride, and even though they changed the name, they didn't really remove anything scary (the Evil Queen/witch) from it.

Yeah, I like it too. Leaving out Facillier is a huge miss, if that is indeed the plan. They seem so concerned about it being scary for kids, but dark rides are supposed to be a little scary. Snow White's Scary Adventures was the name of her ride, and even though they changed the name, they didn't really remove anything scary (the Evil Queen/witch) from it.
Because the 50-foot drop on the ride isn't scary. 😂😂😂

I just hope they don't cut corners with the special effects. I feel like Disney has been super cheap on special effects over the years (Rise of the Resistance excluded). And their newer or updated rides are almost a little underwhelming.
I think I'm more excited for the restaurant, and really hope that it'll be open by the time we visit in October.

I have a feeling that this ride will be like that and I find it especially awkward that they're putting a Disney Princess IP on a thrill ride. Little girls who like the IP may be too short or scared to ride and people who like thrill rides may not care for the IP. I just don't see it making sense unlike Radiator Springs Racers and Cars.
I seriously doubt people who like thrill rides and don't like the IP are going to avoid it. They want to ride a flume ride, and they want to get wet. I've got two little girls who love Tiana and love thrill rides. I'm sure the ride will do just fine with the Tiana theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter