Throwaway room (read post #2041 or #2710 before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true, any resort, but I think you would actually have to go and check in that day. Might be worth it I suppose if you were spending a week offsite.

I would imagine this is a loophole that Disney will endeavor to close in the near future.

The problem is the people get desperate when what is important to them is threatened. Anyone who has spent years planning, obsessing and or trying to create the perfect trip, whether it be once in a lifetime or several times a year has at some stage in the last few months felt some form of panic, dismay, disappointment, frustration .... something resulting from the feeling of 'losing control' over what is important to them.

Anyone who can say that all the recent changes have had no effect on them whatsoever IMO does not have a pulse :rotfl:

I do anticipate this is going to become a problem, and if not, at the very least, a hot topic on this forum

You would book it, pay for it online, and then you should be able to customize your Magicbands within a month I believe, and sign up for your FPs at 60 days. I'm not 100% sure if you have to go check in, you could just call and say you can't make it or something. As long as you're not asking for a refund, I can't see how they would care.

Now, what I don't know is if you will be able to get FPs for more than two days (one check in, one check out) even if you link tickets to it that are longer. I believe they closed that loophole that people were using earlier. So if you are thinking about that, just be aware of that.

I don't see any moral issues with this as long as a person keeps the reservation and pays for it. Plenty of people do this at Universal to get the Express Pass privileges.

ETA: Of course any of this could change at any time.

I had never heard about it. I'm not sure it's worth $200 just for magicbands lol Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
I was tempted when I saw Sports as low as $68 for one of our nights. Considering it would have saved us $30 in parking too not a bad deal. Just never got my act together to do it. Good thing too. We haven't really needed FP's this visit cept for Soarin one day.

I would guess Disney must be laughing gleefully at the prospect of renting rooms like this.

I don't see any moral issues with this as long as a person keeps the reservation and pays for it. Plenty of people do this at Universal to get the Express Pass privileges.

ETA: Of course any of this could change at any time.

I think you are absolutely correct. People do it all the time for extra privileges at Universal.

I would imagine this is a loophole that Disney will endeavor to close in the near future.

I remember reading that they've already started charging for these rooms well in advance of when you would receive the bands. Not sure if this is confirmed. Maybe some people were reserving and then canceling after they got their bands.

Hi

The difference with doing this at universal is that you only get the express pass only for the amount of visit. If you pay one night at a Universal Hotel and get the express pass for that day and check out day, but if want to spend more days at Universal you won't have the fast pass.

I am not sure if the OP is talking about just getting bands for the one or two day visit or using that one night for a weeks worth. I thought I read on another post you have to have nights matching your magic bands for fastpass+.

Can't you only get FP+ for nights that you are staying onsite? Haven't used it yet but that was my understanding. And since the bands are linked to your account, if you canceled at the last minute that would make the bands useless...

So if you really want to pay for an onsite room that you aren't going to use, just so you can get 2 days of FP+, I don't see why Disney would have a problem with it... It's still playing by the rules, and costing them less overhead in leaving a paid-for room empty.

But, maybe I'm missing something... Is that not how FP+ works?

Hi

The difference with doing this at universal is that you only get the express pass only for the amount of visit. If you pay one night at a Universal Hotel and get the express pass for that day and check out day, but if want to spend more days at Universal you won't have the fast pass.

I am not sure if the OP is talking about just getting bands for the one or two day visit or using that one night for a weeks worth. I thought I read on another post you have to have nights matching your magic bands for fastpass+.

Yes, I think I read that too, that the FPs are only good for as many nights as you booked the room for, just like Universal. Not the length of ticket attached.

Can't you only get FP+ for nights that you are staying onsite? Haven't used it yet but that was my understanding. And since the bands are linked to your account, if you canceled at the last minute that would make the bands useless...

So if you really want to pay for an onsite room that you aren't going to use, just so you can get 2 days of FP+, I don't see why Disney would have a problem with it... It's still playing by the rules, and costing them less overhead in leaving a paid-for room empty.

But, maybe I'm missing something... Is that not how FP+ works?

You have it right, at least as far as I understand it.

I don't think Disney would have a problem with it at all. Seems like part of the design to me ;)

I remember reading that they've already started charging for these rooms well in advance of when you would receive the bands. Not sure if this is confirmed. Maybe some people were reserving and then canceling after they got their bands.

I remember people were doing that, more back in the August timeframe. I think there was a time when you could cancel and still keep the FPs but I think they closed that loophole now. So you have to book the room and pay for it to keep the FPs. Not sure what happens to the bands if they already shipped, I guess they would let you keep them.

To do this now, you would have to at least pay the one night deposit for a room-only reservation, and that would get you two days of FPs.

I was tempted when I saw Sports as low as $68 for one of our nights. Considering it would have saved us $30 in parking too not a bad deal. Just never got my act together to do it. Good thing too. We haven't really needed FP's this visit cept for Soarin one day.

I would guess Disney must be laughing gleefully at the prospect of renting rooms like this.

Yep. Part of the design I suspect. Just like a competitor up the road.

They would like it even better if you never show up and physically check in. Then they don't even have to re-clean the room if it's never been accessed.

Yep. Part of the design I suspect. Just like a competitor up the road.

They would like it even better if you never show up and physically check in. Then they don't even have to re-clean the room if it's never been accessed.

Just for free parking for 7 days it would balance itself out, the FP+ would just be a bonus IMO

Just for free parking for 7 days it would balance itself out, the FP+ would just be a bonus IMO

Also wondering what would happen if I didn't check in?
The campsites are as low as $80/nt.
Parking for 7 days = $105

It's a win win if I buy a room!

I current have a one night reservation at BC prior to my Dolphin stay in June. I will keep it if it gives me access to FP+ for my vacation (as well as letting the kids experience SAB). I have heard conflicting reports and I am not convinced that they "closed that loophole". I am waiting until the end of March to try it myself. If it doesn't work out, I will simply cancel and stay somewhere much cheaper. I just made a room only reservation, and cancellation is still just 5 days out, so yes you can still get MB's then cancel in time (depending on your moral compass...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!