Throwaway Campsites for Magic bands

Perhaps Disney could take a $20/head/night "deposit" to be held on the customer's card until the time of check in. Upon check in the card would be cleared and if they don't check in with their 10 guests then they get charged that amount. $20 is arbitrary...could be more or less, however $20 x 10 people is somewhat painful if you aren't gonna show up. Where there's a will there's a way to come up with a solution. Disney may not have the will, however.

At this point I think they just do the on-line check-in and never actually set a foot on the Fort Wilderness Property. While they may not be breaking any rules, they are violating the intent of the rules and that in turn hurts others who would be make a legitimate campsite reservation. The rule being those special perks, like free parking, 60 day out FP+ selection, advance dinner reservations and others that are intended for people who actually stay on property.

As Tiggerdad said above - While I understand why they are doing it, to make a more affordable vacation, I don't appreciate the "I don't care if I block another family from being able to stay, I only care about what I get out of it" open attitude that some of them present. - theses are people who only care about themselves and not the affects of their actions on others. Until Disney decides to stop it this will continue to happen, as there are always going to be those who will find a way to exploit a loophole for there benefit no matter who else it may negatively affect.

terrible how some people are..........

-Russ

At this point I think they just do the on-line check-in and never actually set a foot on the Fort Wilderness Property. While they may not be breaking any rules, they are violating the intent of the rules and that in turn hurts others who would be make a legitimate campsite reservation. The rule being those special perks, like free parking, 60 day out FP+ selection, advance dinner reservations and others that are intended for people who actually stay on property.

As Tiggerdad said above - While I understand why they are doing it, to make a more affordable vacation, I don't appreciate the "I don't care if I block another family from being able to stay, I only care about what I get out of it" open attitude that some of them present. - theses are people who only care about themselves and not the affects of their actions on others. Until Disney decides to stop it this will continue to happen, as there are always going to be those who will find a way to exploit a loophole for there benefit no matter who else it may negatively affect.

terrible how some people are..........

-Russ
I hadn't thought about the online check-in aspect. I would be willing to forgo that perk if it meant I could get a campsite when I wanted to, for sure.

In the other 70 page thread, there were some good options discussed (among the flames). The most realistic option was to cancel all on site perks (including FP+, dinner resies, free parking and all the MB+ stuff) if the group is not checked in on site by midnight of their first night.
Last time I did online check in, I still had to go through and get my packet and site. Maybe that has changed now, but there should be some way for them to see if you are actually there.

As others have said, Disney could police this if they wanted to. There is little motivation for them to do anything at this point.

j

Really looking forward to our first stay on site-and at the Fort; renting a camper (not a pop up lol). We went back to Disney for the first time in 10 years this past june-It never occurred to me to rent a "throwaway"! We have a timeshare we trade for area resorts, and frankly the hype over MDE and and not getting FP+ seems to be a bit overblown-and when there are problems Disney needs to do a much better job of recovery(another topic lol). While I had no problems getting my FP selections at 21 days out, I do realize that may not be the usual for all. Maybe they weren't all at ideal times but they were there. We got our ADRs without issues too-even did TRex the last day without any advance planning and no wait.

Frankly what ever happened to good old fashioned "guilt" in this putting yourself over everyone else at whatever cost?

Maybe the (potential) upside of MDE eventually is sure-go ahead make FP+ selections, ADR etc but if you are onsite then those things aren't "activated" in your account until you physically check in -at least for stays of <2 days, or someother high risk qualifier. Sure that is going to be an inconvenience for some honest people-but after you have shown a pattern of 'responsible' behavior then you get the online check in privlage.

Anway-I changed where I wanted to stay based on Disboards and how much FUN the campgrounds seems to be!:)

As so many have said, Disney could prevent this if they wished. Hard to say if they make more money from someone using a "throwaway" and planning to be in parks which means money for Disney vs. money from a site reservation and perhaps money spent in parks, etc. In any case, doesn't seem clear cut enough for them to be concerned. Unless there was a clear monetary advantage in closing such a loophole, I don't believe they would do it regardless of the intent of the reservation system to be used by on site guests only....this seems to be one of those "it is what it is so I won't let it irk me" things.

There has been an improvement with dining reservation availability because of the $10 @ person held for no shows. So they can change things in a passive way. One thought of mine is 10 is to many for a campsite. This causes (per our July trip) 3 cars and 2 golf carts on the site next to us. The number at the campground should be the same as resorts.

Unfortunately Disney has to make it 10 per site based on camper capacity. Standard rooms have 2 queen beds which equal 4 people. My camper for instance sleeps 12, so in actuality I am being shorted on my capacity. It was a middle ground decision that Disney had to make I am sure based on ever expanding camper sizes.

I do see where you are coming from though. The simple fix is this: if you are not actually set up on your reserved site by midnight of first day then all benefits linked to your stay are suspended until you do setup. This would still allow for people who had an accident or breakdown to keep their benefits once they finally arrived.

As far as parking goes at campsites, the rule is 1 vehicle, Disney just needs to enforce it. When I stayed I couldn't get into my site because the second vehicle at the site across from me kept me from making my turn. Luckily a passing castmember simply went over and talked to them and the second vehicle was moved. I assume to the overflow lot as another person left the site on a golfcart and later returned with the driver.

........ The simple fix is this: if you are not actually set up on your reserved site by midnight of first day then all benefits linked to your stay are suspended until you do setup. This would still allow for people who had an accident or breakdown to keep their benefits once they finally arrived.

This is a great (and very reasonable) fix! :thumbsup2 Simply verify occupancy.

-Russ

I had no idea that this practice existed. Just read through a couple pages of the looooong thread about it. Wow. :faint:

Most of the attitudes over there are " So what if someone will actually use the site, I am taking nothing away from them, they had the same opportunity as I did to reserve the site"

Some have gone so far as to say ridiculous things like: " If I am standing in front of you at Dunkin Donuts and there is only one chocolate frosted left in the case and I feel like buying it and then walk right over to the garbage can and toss it should I feel bad that you wanted it, I paid for it I can do what I want "

My feeling is if you reserve a tent site you should have to go and physically check in. Prove to a CM you actually have a tent. Let a CM come out and see it, afterall you can't sleep in a car at a tent site Right ? I don't think even one real tent camper would object to this.

That rule would totally knock smug attitudes out of them especially the ones that are flying in and taking DME. Where's your tent wiseguy ? No FP+ for you ! :laughing:

There's absolutely no incentive for Disney to do that. Not only do they get to say their resorts are at 80%+ capacity, but they got paid for something they "give away" and it took absolutely zero effort on their part. It's free money for Disney. While you say that it could have stopped someone else from reserving it, there are people who will change their vacation around that one night. There's just no incentive for Disney to do anything about it.

Do I support it? No. Do I agree that it's wrong? Yes. Do I feel anything will be done about it? No.

However, I feel the people who do this are a little dumb. It just doesn't make sense to me. I think one of the things Disney can do (if they really want to and decided this was a big enough problem) is require a minimum night stay for tent sites. That might cut down on it.

I agree with everything you say, Maria , except for one thing. These people are dumb like a fox. Even taking the FP+ benefit out of the equation.

If you stay off property and want the magicbands that's what $25. a piece :confused3 Shove 10 people on that throwaway tent site customize the bands in an MDE account and they are sent to your home. Right there they benefit.

Ruthie

I don't really understand why they don't let you customize the bands and then pick them up at your resort on check-in. I wonder how many people forget them. :confused3 So making a minimum night stay along with picking up magic bands at check-in would eliminate most of this problem I would think.

I just got back from FW late last week. I stayed in the 1500 loop (tent/popup) and so they are the cheapest sites. I had seen a thread similar to this so I glanced around and I can ensure you there were no empty sites. I am not saying this is not happening but wouldn't it make sense if you are going to get Disney Property just for the benefits to get the cheapest site? I guess what I am saying is, yes this may be happening, but I don't know if it is as relevant as we think.
PS Went through the 2000 loop (the other tent/popup) are and much the same almost all, if not all sites, looked occupied.

I just got back from FW late last week. I stayed in the 1500 loop (tent/popup) and so they are the cheapest sites. I had seen a thread similar to this so I glanced around and I can ensure you there were no empty sites. I am not saying this is not happening but wouldn't it make sense if you are going to get Disney Property just for the benefits to get the cheapest site? I guess what I am saying is, yes this may be happening, but I don't know if it is as relevant as we think.
PS Went through the 2000 loop (the other tent/popup) are and much the same almost all, if not all sites, looked occupied.

This.

When I was at the Fort back in March, I spoke with a Manager about the issue of ghost sites at the Fort. They were aware of the issue and said they had looked into it (and at the Value Resorts) and did not find much/if any evidence of it. It was their opinion it didn't happen as often as it might sound like on the boards. So that's the main reason why it looks like Disney is not willing to do anything about it - because it's not that big a deal.

Bama Ed

Ah, that makes sense too. Forgive me for my ignorance. I'm a new comer to the Fort and just learning about all this stuff.

It's not as much the "campers can't camp" as much as it is the smug attitude that some of them have about doing it. That is what gets a lot of people angry about it.

To be honest I think some of them just post their "I don't care if you get a site or not" just to see if they can stir something up. Ultimately if you want a site you just need to book well in advance and you should be fine.

You're not ignorant Madonna3. Only those who don't ask questions are ignorant. You've gotten replies that give you a well rounded view of the topic which is what the boards are truly for.

It's not as much the "campers can't camp" as much as it is the smug attitude that some of them have about doing it. That is what gets a lot of people angry about it.

To be honest I think some of them just post their "I don't care if you get a site or not" just to see if they can stir something up. Ultimately if you want a site you just need to book well in advance and you should be fine.

You're not ignorant Madonna3. Only those who don't ask questions are ignorant. You've gotten replies that give you a well rounded view of the topic which is what the boards are truly for.

Perfectly said :thumbsup2 and reassuring too. I need to stay away from those threads all it really does is cause my blood pressure to rise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter