Throwaway Campsites for Magic bands

OMG!

Are you trying to get me in trouble?
Don't get me started on this one...I have had my warnings...

Disney is out for the $$$'s only - not who gets hurt by the process.

Oh, how things have changed at WDW over the years! (Most not for the better either) :sad2:

Don't get me started on this one...I have had my warnings...
I'm with TiggerDad on this one. I hadn't seen anything on this in a while. I thought it had gone away.

Feel free to do a search from a few months ago on this. I know there was a lot of speculation (and heated posts), but not a lot of solid proof it was impacting much. Since it had died down, I figured there wasn't much to it.

*** Actually I just checked the link at the top. This is the same thread from 2 months ago. Someone decided to drag it back out. I guess 60 something pages wasn't enough.***

But here we go again...

j

So the people on that thread are probably the ones who prevented us from being able to stay at the Fort on the last night we were there (July 4th).

I didn't read it all because I knew upit would just get my blood pressure up!

I really have to say that I am ashamed that people actually do this. We are using the military tickets when we go but we opted to stay at the campground because it is cheaper and we are just looking for a few day getaway. I don't think people know what they are missing out on or pushing people out of. :confused3

The problem I have is they talk about throw away rooms. Ok, they are gaming the system. But the ones most affected are FW guests. Because we bring our rooms with us, the rates are much lower then even economy resorts plus the 10 person max at no additional charge. Until Disney can find a proper way to close the loophole, it will be gamed and at the expense of the campers.

Because we bring our rooms with us, the rates are much lower then even economy resorts plus the 10 person max at no additional charge.

And the 10 person max becomes a problem as well. I've heard of travel agents using this "throwaway campsite" trick. (Sorry, no link.) They'll reserve throwaway campsites for multiple families...two families of 5; one family of 4 and one family of 6; even two families of 4 and a couple. Everyone gets magic band, EMHs, 60-day FP+, free parking. Everyone is happy.

Except those who legitimate want the campsite. :furious:

This topic and related ones show up periodically and since nothing beneficial comes out of them, I've nothing else to say.

Bama Ed

I agree with Ed fully on this. The only thing it has ever gotten me is warnings...

As far as agents, I can attest to calling an agency, quite well known one, and was asking about booking rooms offsite to compare prices and what benefits were lost. The agent brought up the "throwaway" campsite as a solution to my problem. This agency is well known, especially on these boards, thus there isn't going to be a thing done to anyone, except maybe those whose complain.

Bottom line is Disney allows it, Disney could easily fix it, but Disney doesn't want to because to be honest, Disney loses money on us campers because we typically don't spend as much at their parks, namely on food.

What the heck is a throw away camp site.? I can tell agents can no longer make reservations for pre or post stays with out first calling disney.

A lot of people stay offsite when visiting Disney for the big benefit of cheaper stays. The problem is, they don't get a lot of the onsite Disney perks such as free parking, earlier booking of FP, etc. To offset this, they book a night at the campsites which are cheaper. They use this to get the onsite perks, while at the same time having no intention of actually staying on the site. This prevents campers from being able to book sites. So it looks like the campground is full, when in actuality it isn't.

While I understand why they are doing it, to make a more affordable vacation, I don't appreciate the "I don't care if I block another family from being able to stay, I only care about what I get out of it" open attitude that some of them present.

Thus the "thowaway site", they just throw it away to get the perks when they link their stay to that one or two night. Disney allows it, which makes Disney partially responsible.

Again, I see why, I just don't like the attitude that some of them present.

A lot of people stay offsite when visiting Disney for the big benefit of cheaper stays. The problem is, they don't get a lot of the onsite Disney perks such as free parking, earlier booking of FP, etc. To offset this, they book a night at the campsites which are cheaper. They use this to get the onsite perks, while at the same time having no intention of actually staying on the site. This prevents campers from being able to book sites. So it looks like the campground is full, when in actuality it isn't.

While I understand why they are doing it, to make a more affordable vacation, I don't appreciate the "I don't care if I block another family from being able to stay, I only care about what I get out of it" open attitude that some of them present.

Thus the "thowaway site", they just throw it away to get the perks when they link their stay to that one or two night. Disney allows it, which makes Disney partially responsible.

Again, I see why, I just don't like the attitude that some of them present.

Thank you for explaining this. If they know it is not in use ever, they have the advantage of letting someone else rent the site. They are still being paid for it. Such a waste. Hopefully in the future they will change this.

from what I have read I think they are booking a single night at FW and buying park tickets for multiple days linking the ticket to the reservation and reserving fast passes at the 60 day window for the duration of their off-site stay.FW would be ideal for this because you can have up to 10 people on a site and large groups/families usually stay off site for the larger accommodations.

Perhaps Disney could take a $20/head/night "deposit" to be held on the customer's card until the time of check in. Upon check in the card would be cleared and if they don't check in with their 10 guests then they get charged that amount. $20 is arbitrary...could be more or less, however $20 x 10 people is somewhat painful if you aren't gonna show up. Where there's a will there's a way to come up with a solution. Disney may not have the will, however.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter