Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Good Sunday Morning!

We aren’t football people, so we don’t care about the SB - we may not even watch.
I’m going to go with sports & games - narrowing it to my DD19’s softball game days.

#1 - I’m grateful for watching all the sunrises with my DD when we‘d have to be at the field by 6:30am for an 8am game.

#2 - I’m grateful for all the slushie runs between games with my DD and her teammates on hot days. The awful smell of feet (they’d have their cleats off) and BO from adolescent girls (young teenage girls sweat ALOT) was enough to make me gag, and my mini van ALWAYS smelled like a locker room, but I wouldn’t change it for anything.

#3 - I’m grateful for being one of DD’s coaches for 10 years so I could be in the dug out during all of my DD‘s triumphs and defeats, and also her teammates. I’ve hugged and high fived a lot of girls over the years and also hugged and wiped away a lot of tears. I’m blessed to be the team mom and loved being with all my girls.

Sports and Super Bowl

1. The commercials. Looking forward to the Christian one this year..

2. ACC basketball. You don't grow up in NC without pulling for Duke, NC State, or UNC. My grandmother literally prayed for Duke every game.

3. Atlanta Braves. Don't watch as much, but I used to all the time and my favorites where when they had Dale Murphy, Chipper Jones, Griffey, Andruw Jones...those were the days. My Gramps loved them, too.

Sweet memories

1. Not really into Superbowl Sunday much at all, except for 2010, when the Saints were in it. Not enough words to express how much Saints fans have suffered for decades, still supporting them, never dreamed in a million years they'd ever win a super bowl.

2. More on the above. Saints and Colts had traded scores the whole game, but when Tracy Porter caught that interception, returned it for a touchdown, that turned the tide.

3. Hope the commercials are good this year. used to record the superbowl to make sure we caught them all, could re-watch, back before we could just google them.

Not a football or really sports fan really. 3 things that do bring me gratitude and joy about sports are:

1 How God used both the Dodgers (most all my life) and Atlanta Braves to bring me additional peace in His Holy Presence, comfort, and good memory.

My childhood wasn't always positive. Tuning into Vin Scully on KABC AM 790 in those days or on TV Channel 5, provided me so very much of a positive escape. Dad, Grandpa, and I growing up attended some Dodger games as well. God willing one day when Covid has ceased, it would mean so very much to me to make a special Dodger game experience happen for my Dad.

The Braves and Skip Caray, will also always have a place in my heart. Not over the course of my life as with the Dodgers, but in a very special God-gifted way during the mid 90's when I was attending college out of Dodger range. God used Skip and the Braves when He knew I most needed to be assured He was forever beside me and feel as though I were in a tiny way a part of an extended Braves family. Through Skip, God sure blessed me that way and thensome much as He did during my childhood with Vin Scully.

2 Sports can bring people together in a positive and fun, healthy way indeed while also being a source of fun.

3 I was so blessed a number of years ago to get to know through letters Bryan Stow and his family. Bryan is the Giants fan who was attacked at Dodger Stadium and has since by the Grace of God, triumphed and used his traumatic and plain horribly violent experience to make a positive difference to so very many. I haven't been in touch with the Stows in some time. I believe Bryan's foundation centered on anti bullying programs especially in schools. Absoloutely a wonderful example of courage and God bringing joy and positivity out of darkness.

Today's Topic (Sat 2/11) - 3 things you're grateful for beginning with E
Out of town yesterday at a funeral, so miss this.

1. Eggs - Have to jump on the egg bandwagon. I have eggs most mornings for breakfast, and they are so good for you.
2. Ears to hear - Working in Elementary, I am often reminding the kids that they ears are listening. And I hear some great things throughout the day - these kids can be so funny!
3. Electricity - I don't really think about it until it goes out. I am so happy to live in a time with electricity and indoor plumbing. I enjoy camping, but live returning to the luxury of modern life!

Today's Topic (Sun 2/12) - 3 things you're grateful for about Super Bowl Sunday or sports & games in general

Also not a Football watcher, or really into sports in general, so games may be the focus here:

1. I am grateful for sports in general as they are such good exercise to help our bodies. I grew up in a sports household, but married someone who did not, so I have experienced both. We did lots of Family things that involved sports, and they kept us fit and having fun together. Good Memories!
2. Every few months we spend a weekend with our cousins playing board games. So grateful that we have this connection based on board games. They have become some of our closest family/friends, and it all started with playing board games.
3. Double Date Night with good friends monthly playing board games. DH and has good friend are huge gamers (both computer and board) and play at least 3-5 times a month (friend plays 3-4 times a week) and we have instituted Double Date Night where we get together to play after the littles are in bed (DD is almost 14, so we can leave her alone now). It is so fun to get together and visit while we play games. I am not sure we would have this friendship if the guys had not been brought together over their love of board games.

Okay, so maybe these are all more based around relationships, but they all connect to games! :banana:

Today's Topic (Sun 2/12) - 3 things you're grateful for about Super Bowl Sunday or sports & games in general

1. The Chiefs are in the Super Bowl. I think it took a few years, but since the Rams left St. Louis (DOn't get me started on that one...) it seems the Chiefs get to claim the entire state of Missouri now, rather than just most of it. Ha!
2. The St. Louis Cardinals!!
3. The St. Louis Blues

I’m glad the Eagles are in SB.

Heard from our younger DS today and when they come to Cape May for their June trip, we’ll all be going to a Phillies game. There will be a concert with AJR that night and that makes our DGSs very happy!

3 Es

1. Evening walks with my dogs
2. My friend Evan
3. Elephant Head at sunset

Super Bowl/Sports related

1. The camaraderie that comes along with being part of a team/supporting a team. I work part time for the Phillies and there was nothing like the post season!!!

2. I’m grateful to have been able to see my kids do so well in their sports.

3. I’m grateful to have played sports as a kid. I feel that being part of a team teaches life lessons that you can’t learn otherwise. I also know that not all kids get that opportunity which makes me extra grateful.

1. I'm grateful for the SuperBowl gatherings of friends and family
2. For sports in general, my favorite is definitely baseball and watching my St. Louis Cardinals! DH and I have a goal of seeing the cards play in every stadium. We've done 10 stadiums so far, but now that they are playing more inner league games, it will be much easier.
3. watching my kids play sports. My girls played softball and tennis and DS played baseball and soccer, so we had such great times with sports when they were growing up!

It’s the start of a new week :yay:

#1 - I’m grateful for my Grandma (RIP) whose name is Irene. We were very close and did a lot together. Some of my best childhood memories were with my Grandma.

#2 - I’m grateful for all my memories of watching Illuminations with my family, especially when DD24 was 2 years old (her first WDW trip). When fireworks would go off she’d raise her arms and yell Wee! Wee! It was so cute (my description does not explain it well). She had seen fireworks before, but never up close. She was mesmerized and I will never forget the look on her face.

#3 - I’m grateful for the gift of imagination, especially other people’s like Walt Disney, JK Rowling, Imagineers, anyone that has given us wonderful creative characters or things and my DH. I don’t mention myself because my imagination is not very good, like other people’s. My DH has a great imagination and when anything creative needs to be done - he’s the guy to help. I never helped with school projects, he always did - my contribution was buying the items for it - he’d give me a list and then I’d go get everything and then him and DD would work on it - all finished projects were awesome.

Today's Topic (Mon 2/13) - 3 things you're grateful for beginning with I
1. Innovations -- In the medical field and otherwise. (More on this after my list)
2. Ice cream (Enough said)
3. Imagination (Similar to number 1, I guess?)

So going back to number one, I had to find some way to fit this in today.

10 year ago I had hip replacement surgery before I turned 30. I always celebrate/acknowledge the date, which may seem odd for a non life-saving surgery. But while it may not have been life-saving, it was life altering, in a good way.

I had hip dysplasia as a child, and while it's always been a significant part of my story it wasn't until my surgery as an adult that it all kind of hit me. It's not the surgery so much (though that is part of it) but what God has allowed me to do with it. I hesitate to say it gave me a "new purpose" because as a believer, my purpose (which I mess up all the time) should be to glorify God in all I do. But... I do think it's given me a new way to do that.

I've been able to share my story and encourage others. It's given me a heart and desire to connect with and pray for children with disabilities and other medical complexities. Every year, I do a "color run" (walk) and I walk in honor of a child going through treatment for hip dysplasia. I've been able to meet so many amazing families through my "Color Run Kids" I've been able to bring awareness to hip dysplasia, what I now like to call "The most common disorder you've probably never heard of." (Although, as I always say, I hope by now those reading this know about it!)

I've finally been able to get my "full story" consolidated a bit more, and I love the intro they wrote for me.
https://miles4hips.org/allisons-story

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter