This is us..

I so felt William with the coke. I know it sounds simple but you have no control over so many things when you're palliative, so it's not little.

My father's palliative nurse was very firm on one of her first visits - "He is to eat or drink anything he wants - you are not to deny him at this point". Steroids made his blood sugar insane and he wasn't diabetic And even with that it was something that was relayed.

How's this for a scenario -- Jack gets drunk because Rebecca hurt his feelings. He's too drunk to drive, so he calls Kate for a ride. On the way home they're in an accident and Jack dies. Kate blames herself for his death so she can't talk about it. Maybe Miguel had helped him get drunk so naturally the kids resent him for that.

See, my take on Randall is he's putting up a good front and won't LET anyone help him. At that point it wasn't clear to any of them he was at his breaking point. I think he was trying to follow Jack's example. We have different takes on the family/work situation but I'll say this, my DH would have been highly insulted if I had gone and arranged for someone else to take care of our kids. Doesn't Beth work also? Why would it be on her to arrange care?

On Kevin, him leaving the play showed tremendous growth on his part. Until now he's been completely shallow, rarely showing empathy and has resented Randall his entire life. Suddenly, it clicks that his brother needed HIM, Randall called HIM. Kevin heard what Randall wasn't saying. What would Jack do? Drop everything and help. It was 100% selfless, something that as far we know he's never been. In that moment nothing was more important than his brother. I would hope my kids would react the same, no matter what.
I don't know, Kevin seemed very nervous about doing the play, and he did let others down.

I don't know, Kevin seemed very nervous about doing the play, and he did let others down.
Well, who wouldn't be? Given his history if he wanted to just bail on the play, he would've just bailed or not even bothered showing. And yeah, he did let the others down but for the first time ever (that we've been shown anyway) he didn't let Randall down. Randall was in such a precarious state it took precedence. I know for myself had that been one of my siblings there is no way I could have just gone about my business. It was a huge breakthrough for the character. He may not have done all the right things in the right ways but he DID something. For me, personally that's what counts.

Well, who wouldn't be? Given his history if he wanted to just bail on the play, he would've just bailed or not even bothered showing. And yeah, he did let the others down but for the first time ever (that we've been shown anyway) he didn't let Randall down. Randall was in such a precarious state it took precedence. I know for myself had that been one of my siblings there is no way I could have just gone about my business. It was a huge breakthrough for the character. He may not have done all the right things in the right ways but he DID something. For me, personally that's what counts.

I see both sides wenrob.

I thought it was an extreme choice as he could have taken a minute and alerted another family member to go to him and went straight to Randall's side after the show. That is still a new choice for his character.

I'm surprised at my own reaction, since I'm the first to help/realize an extreme need and feel the same about your comment about your siblings, but that's what I thought regardless. I would have felt completely different on a performance during a regular run. Or if I had more knowledge of what was happening in that moment.

I see both sides wenrob.

I thought it was an extreme choice as he could have taken a minute and alerted another family member to go to him and went straight to Randall's side after the show. That is still a new choice for his character.

I'm surprised at my own reaction, since I'm the first to help/realize an extreme need and feel the same about your comment about your siblings, but that's what I thought regardless. I would have felt completely different on a performance during a regular run. Or if I had more knowledge of what was happening in that moment.
Don't get me wrong, I did think about how he left all those people hanging quite a bit but that he didn't give it a second thought and went to his brother is what made it okay for me. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I know that instinctually I would have gone to my sibling, I don't think Kevin knew until that moment that he would, kwim?

Don't get me wrong, I did think about how he left all those people hanging quite a bit but that he didn't give it a second thought and went to his brother is what made it okay for me. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I know that instinctually I would have gone to my sibling, I don't think Kevin knew until that moment that he would, kwim?

I get it. :thumbsup2

I also think Kevin went to Randall because he called HIM, not his mom, not his wife..he reached out to Kevin.

I always delete the show when I'm done watching and I always regret it the next day. They all deserve a second and third viewing.

(I can't watch it on the NBC site..wrong side of the border)

I also think Kevin went to Randall because he called HIM, not his mom, not his wife..he reached out to Kevin.

I always delete the show when I'm done watching and I always regret it the next day. They all deserve a second and third viewing.

(I can't watch it on the NBC site..wrong side of the border)
You can't recover it? On my TiVo I can recover stuff as long as there's room to keep it in the deleted section. I've learned not to delete for a few days though, lol. Lots of recovering the first couple of weeks.

eta: And YES, exactly. He called Kevin, that's significant for me and makes the difference.

You can't recover it? On my TiVo I can recover stuff as long as there's room to keep it in the deleted section. I've learned not to delete for a few days though, lol. Lots of recovering the first couple of weeks.

No, once it's gone, it's gone. From now on I won't delete it..if I remember lol

This show never disappoints me - just watched it tonight. So many of the things we discussed after the last episode were addressed in this one. The fact that Kate and Toby have moved very fast in their relationship and need to slow down a bit. The fact that Randall's kids seemed too perfect. The fact that Jack and Rebecca's relationship seemed too perfect. What a great episode to delve deeper into all of this. And I was so happy to see Kate tell that jerk Duke off. Not what I was expecting after how they ended it last time, and I'm so happy I was wrong and she didn't let him manipulate her.

Randall continues to be my favorite character on the show. His wife does annoy me a bit because even though she says that she knows how he takes everything on and will stress himself to the breaking point, she seems unconcerned with making sure that doesn't happen again. The whole "calling marriage" for the chess tournament showed how she is just oblivious to his pressures at work. William also doesn't seem to fully get it either unfortunately. Maybe with him it can be explained by his not knowing Randall as well, but there isn't really an excuse for his wife not stepping in and trying to help him.

I also started to dislike Rebecca even more in this episode. I've never been a big fan of hers. She just seems selfish to me. Not telling Jack that she dated her bandmate and then saying she didn't want him to get in her way? Wow.

Anyway, another great episode with a lot of character growth for Kevin and Toby as well.

I absolutely watch them again!! The first time I watch, it's all I'm doing (well, except maybe drinking coffee) but DH usually doesn't get to them for a few days, so they stay in the DVR. I usually put them on one or even two more times while I'm fixing dinner, folding laundry, on the computer, or whatever.

See, my take on Randall is he's putting up a good front and won't LET anyone help him. At that point it wasn't clear to any of them he was at his breaking point. I think he was trying to follow Jack's example. We have different takes on the family/work situation but I'll say this, my DH would have been highly insulted if I had gone and arranged for someone else to take care of our kids. Doesn't Beth work also? Why would it be on her to arrange care?

On Kevin, him leaving the play showed tremendous growth on his part. Until now he's been completely shallow, rarely showing empathy and has resented Randall his entire life. Suddenly, it clicks that his brother needed HIM, Randall called HIM. Kevin heard what Randall wasn't saying. What would Jack do? Drop everything and help. It was 100% selfless, something that as far we know he's never been. In that moment nothing was more important than his brother. I would hope my kids would react the same, no matter what.

This is making me cry all over again. They did such a good job of showing how Kevin let his resentment of Randall affect their relationship, but he's growing - he went to the love of his life and this time he put aside his own very strong desires to go to his brother who was having a breakdown. He knows Randall internalizes things, and instead of ignoring him for his own needs (remember his first response when Randall said he wasn't going?) he realizes, or strongly suspects, what's happening with Randall (I think in his right mind Randall would never have skipped his brother's opening because family is so important to him), and goes to him. I loved this, even though it was painful, and I was in tears.

I can't help being angry at William, too, because he's so selfish, but then, I remember - he's dying and most of his son's life he hasn't been able to be with him. He's trying to capture as much as he can with the little time he's had left. He hasn't had to compromise before because he's basically been on his own (not counting his close friend), so I don't think he really understands that Randall is in a highly competitive job. I also noticed that Kevin doesn't really know his brother. He just traipsed in and admitted he didn't really know what Randall does. This whole episode showed how Kevin resented and really didn't consider Randall's feelings, until the end - huge growth.

As much as I love Mandy Moore, I'm so disappointed in Rebecca and how she takes Jack for granted. When she said that he was in her way - that just cut. I agree that I think that he dies while driving drunk, and am hoping it doesn't happen this night. I'm glad that there is some indication that some time goes by, but the kids are the right age when they lost their dad.

I'm glad Kate told that guy off, but surprised she got kicked out, and I like how she and Toby are trying to go deep, and even though he's disappointed that she won't confide in him totally, he let her know that he'll wait.

I really enjoy this show every week. I must really like to cry.

This episode had so much!!!

I thought that we were going to find out how Jack died. My heart started racing when he asked the question.

I am definitely team Toby tonight. My opinion changes every week.

Ugh, when Kevin sat down and held Randall..so much emotion for no dialogue.

Given the lst scene, my guess is that Jack dies while he's driving drunk. I also believe within the next week or so we'll see both deaths play out.

William saying that he was tired of having a new problem every day pain wise..I hear you William.

Given the ages of the kids, OMG I just had a thought..what if Jack starts drinking while Rebecca is on the road and he drives Kate somewhere while he's drunk and that's how he dies.

When someone fictional dies and it breaks your heart, you know you're watching an amazing show.

I can't wait for the analysis over the next week. I love seeing things from a different perspective.

I went to bed analyzing the show last night! My first thought was that he died from drunk driving also, but my husband (who claims to hate this show) says that Kate seemed to have trauma over his death, so that wouldn't make sense. Then I wondered if he drove drunk and killed another person. Your theory holds up.

I was on the edge of my seat when Toby asked, also! I think I spent the rest of the show with my hands on my face!

This is making me cry all over again. They did such a good job of showing how Kevin let his resentment of Randall affect their relationship, but he's growing - he went to the love of his life and this time he put aside his own very strong desires to go to his brother who was having a breakdown. He knows Randall internalizes things, and instead of ignoring him for his own needs (remember his first response when Randall said he wasn't going?) he realizes, or strongly suspects, what's happening with Randall (I think in his right mind Randall would never have skipped his brother's opening because family is so important to him), and goes to him. I loved this, even though it was painful, and I was in tears.

I can't help being angry at William, too, because he's so selfish, but then, I remember - he's dying and most of his son's life he hasn't been able to be with him. He's trying to capture as much as he can with the little time he's had left. He hasn't had to compromise before because he's basically been on his own (not counting his close friend), so I don't think he really understands that Randall is in a highly competitive job. I also noticed that Kevin doesn't really know his brother. He just traipsed in and admitted he didn't really know what Randall does. This whole episode showed how Kevin resented and really didn't consider Randall's feelings, until the end - huge growth.

As much as I love Mandy Moore, I'm so disappointed in Rebecca and how she takes Jack for granted. When she said that he was in her way - that just cut. I agree that I think that he dies while driving drunk, and am hoping it doesn't happen this night. I'm glad that there is some indication that some time goes by, but the kids are the right age when they lost their dad.

I'm glad Kate told that guy off, but surprised she got kicked out, and I like how she and Toby are trying to go deep, and even though he's disappointed that she won't confide in him totally, he let her know that he'll wait.

I really enjoy this show every week. I must really like to cry.
On the William thing, I kind of skip over him in these discussions because everyone adores him so. Not that I don't but I have my own hang ups and it's really hard for me to let his flaws go. My mother left me and my sister when we're just babies so it's really, really hard for me to forgive him for abandoning Randall even though it was for the right reasons. However, I find myself giving him a pass for being a pita. My Dad is not a well man. I spent the better part of a year sitting in the ICU with him. Being that sick has made him incredibly selfish and self centered. In a bout of frustration when he was being particularly hard to deal with I called him on it and pointed out just how hard it is on the rest of us. While I don't regret it, I have come to understand over the last couple of years how someone can become that way when their days are numbered.

On the William thing, I kind of skip over him in these discussions because everyone adores him so. Not that I don't but I have my own hang ups and it's really hard for me to let his flaws go. My mother left me and my sister when we're just babies so it's really, really hard for me to forgive him for abandoning Randall even though it was for the right reasons. However, I find myself giving him a pass for being a pita. My Dad is not a well man. I spent the better part of a year sitting in the ICU with him. Being that sick has made him incredibly selfish and self centered. In a bout of frustration when he was being particularly hard to deal with I called him on it and pointed out just how hard it is on the rest of us. While I don't regret it, I have come to understand over the last couple of years how someone can become that way when their days are numbered.

I'm with you on the William thing. I can see cutting him some slack for his behaviors now in reaction to the illness, but I wouldn't be quite as willing to let go of the past. I feel like the show has really glossed over all of that.

I also think they're leading up to an alcohol-related death for Jack and somehow Kate feels more personal guilt for it than anyone else does. I get the feeling that her reluctance to talk about his death is more than just grief for losing her father. I think she feels responsible for his death in some way, whether she actually was or not. I wonder if Jack was driving to pick her up somewhere when he crashed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter