This is my training journal. I'm bad at titles. (Comments welcome!)

A short update, as everything this week was easy running.

Monday: 6 miles easy
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 7.5 miles easy
Thursday: 7.5 miles easy
Friday: rest
Saturday: 9 miles easy
Sunday: 13 miles easy; did not complete

Yes, Daniels really did schedule 43 miles right after an all-out HM effort. Zero chill.

I missed the 13-miler Sunday because I participated in a community fun run instead! I was again a sweeper although I walked most of it; about 100 people from the neighborhood signed up to run a 5k and do yoga. A beautiful day all in all, and I love these community events that encourage people to get outside. Worth much more to me than 13 miles!

This week: A return to intervals as I tackle 3 LT miles at my new pace, which should be quite challenging. Also running but not racing the Cherry Blossom 10-miler - that will be a 10 mile M Tempo workout.

Last edited:
March 27 - April 2

Four weeks until Broad Street Run

Total mileage: 39.0mi
Total time: 6h 6min

Monday: 6 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 60+53 = 113 (...)
  • 9:28, 9:41, 10:48, 10:55, 9:42, 9:34
The T+D was over 100. I don't want to talk about it.

This was a run club night. I don't worry too much about pace at these. Plus, even at "slower" than I "need," it's still a beneficial run.

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: 7 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 49+30 = 79
  • 10:06, 9:39, 9:43, 9:40, 9:50, 9:38, 9:32
Thursday: Threshold Workout: 1.5 Mi WU + 3x 1 Mi LT (8:06) w/ 1:00 RI + 1.5 Mi CD, T+D: 38+18 = 56
  • WU: 9:59, 9:48; CD: 9:41, 9:30
  • 3 Mi LT (8:06)
    • Mile 1: 8:04
    • Mile 2: 8:00
    • Mile 3: 7:59
This was my first post-PR (did I tell you I got a PR in a half marathon 2 weeks ago?) interval run. I had been training LT at 8:26, so 20 seconds faster is a pretty sizable jump. And we're not easing into this thing, as it's 3 full miles with only 60 seconds of rest in-between.

I was pretty surprised that the first mile was fairly easy. I was even more surprised when the second mile was tough. I was sucking serious wind by the end of the third mile. I guess running it 7 seconds faster will do that. I'm not too concerned about this being a hard effort because it is the first time I'm running at faster intervals, but it's something to keep in mind. Glancing at V.O2 reveals every week leading up to Broad Street has at least one LT workout (and one week has 2!), so I'll get plenty of opportunities to test this out.

Friday: Rest

Expo day for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler! The expo was open from 3:45 PM to 7:45 PM. I got there a little before 5:00 PM, and there were two lines wrapped all the way around the building. According to those on the scene (because heaven forbid someone would put a sign up), one line was for the 5k and one line was for the 10-miler. If you were a double blossom entrant, you hand to stand in both lines! Plus, from what friends relayed to me, the line for 5k bib pickup closed at 7 PM because it was too long.

giphy.gif

Needless to say, I was very thankful to only be running the 10-miler. I also don't know why Cherry Blossom picks such a small place for their expo considering the event attracts so many runners. I believe the Rock n' Roll half marathon attracts less than half what Cherry Blossom does, and they used the Convention Center for their expo (much like every other large organized race).

Saturday: 7 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 65+60 = 125 (...) and rain; Actually ran 6.25 miles
  • 9:19, 8:39, 10:00, 9:56, 9:23, 9:45, 9:34
Another run club day! It was kind of rainy and miserable, plus with the Cherry Blossom 5k that morning there were a record-low number of us out for the run. But that's ok! I cut my run down once I got back home because it was miserable out there and I knew I'd be getting extra miles Sunday.

Sunday: Cherry Blossom 10-Miler! M Tempo: 2 Mi WU + 10 Mi M Tempo (8:39) T+D 47+30 = 77; Actually ran 3.5 miles WU

So, with the debacle that was getting to the Rock n' Roll half (paying $50 for an Uber - do not recommend) and Metro not being open prior to the race unlike years' past, I decided just to jog from home to the Washington Monument. V.O2 called for a 10-mile M Tempo workout with a 2-mile warmup, which was basically perfect given it fell on race day. And running more miles easy was fine. Probably.
  • 10 Mi M Tempo (8:39)
    • Mile 1: 8:53
    • Mile 2: 8:44
    • Mile 3: 8:29
    • Mile 4: 8:33
    • Mile 5: 8:48
    • Mile 6: 8:35
    • Mile 7: 8:43
    • Mile 8: 8:42
    • Mile 9: 8:43
    • Mile 10: 8:24
    • Mile 0.14 (brought to you by inflation): 7:43
  • Nutrition
    • 2 scoops concentrated Tailwind 5 minutes before leaving home
    • EGel 15 minutes before race start
    • 2 scoops concentrated Tailwind at mile 5
Lots to unpack here! First, @WillRunForPizza was also here. You already know how this story ends. We were on opposite ends of the same corral with a sea of people between us.

Second, the pre-race and staging areas were a mess. Long bathroom lines, and the corrals were nowhere near large enough to accommodate the number of runners in each corral. I was assigned to the second corral - orange - and because the corrals were totally full I had to wait outside the corral with lots of other people and simply file in once everyone started. I ended up starting with the third - pink - corral. Oh well. Post-race was also kind of a mess, but I ducked out and went home quickly.

Third, Cherry Blossom is the only big race I'm aware of that the medal is an upcharge. That's kind of a bummer. All things considered, I don't think I'm going to do this race again, which is a shame because it really is a good course with lots of crowd participation at a great time of year where the weather is typically beautiful. Today it was cool and sunny - and very windy, although that was only a bother while waiting for the race to start.

All that being said, none of that matters when I cross a starting line, and I had a great time running this. I finished in 1:27:45. Don't mind me, I'm just here dropping PRs during a training run. This was a little less than 3 minutes off my fastest (and only) 10-miler, also Cherry Blossom, about 18 months ago.

It's a testament not only to my fitness but also my attitude that I've improved this much. 18 months ago, Cherry Blossom was an awful run for me. I had a bad attitude and it was my first real ego check as a runner. Today, I was focused on the workout, and what do you know, my workout is now faster than my all-out effort. This wasn't a totally easy effort as it was the first workout at my new, faster marathon pace, and yeah I am tired, but it's another day and I'll be running again tomorrow.

2023 has been good to me as a runner. It's allowed me to clear my mind and focus, and I'm avenging bad past experiences one race at a time. I hope to knock down another PR at Broad Street, but even if I don't it's a great feeling knowing I'm beyond my last 10-miler.

It was also a great experience to practice a 10-mile run before my big race in 4 weeks. Not often you get to do that!

Also, I think I like Tailwind? Concentrated Tailwind is way way too sweet, but it does go down easier mid-race than a gel. More testing needed!

And running more miles easy was fine. Probably.
This is what I keep saying too 😅

Second, the pre-race and staging areas were a mess. Long bathroom lines, and the corrals were nowhere near large enough to accommodate the number of runners in each corral.
Absolutely - it is ridiculous how poorly the "para-race" elements were organized given how popular this race is.

I finished in 1:27:45. Don't mind me, I'm just here dropping PRs during a training run. This was a little less than 3 minutes off my fastest (and only) 10-miler, also Cherry Blossom, about 18 months ago.
NBD, not even trying hard 🤣 Congrats!

April 3 - April 9

Three weeks until Broad Street Run

Total mileage: 33.0mi
Total time: 5h 25min

It's been a very interesting week. V.O2 scheduled me for about 42 miles of running, but I missed a day (Thursday). We had some wild, miserable heat here in DC on Wednesday and Thursday, and heat + DST means I haven't slept much at all. It all caught up with me on Thursday and I wasn't able to do my interval session. Luckily it's cooled down, but it's a stark reminder of how long and miserable the summer is, and I need to ease into it because my acclimation (for whatever that's worth) is slow.

I've been thinking about what I want to race this fall. I'll probably decide for sure after Broad Street. A lot will also go into the timing with Dopey (assuming I get in). I'll want to target something in October, preferably in mid- to late-October. The Army 10-miler is very popular here, but it's in early October and the temps are probably going to suck. I also kinda want to do something away from DC. I've always heard good things about the Baltimore Half, which is mid-October, but the downside is it doesn't start until 9:45 AM - again, bad temperatures. Still searching!

I'm also starting to get hints that my body is reaching its limit in this training cycle. There's a reason we don't perpetually continue training cycles, and I think I'm stretching this one a bit long. I started January 2, so I just finished my 14th week, and the cycle has included an all-out half marathon and a pretty drastic increase in training paces as a result of the PR (did I tell y'all about my crazy good HM PR?). I can feel the fatigue building up. Luckily there's no injury, and with only 3 weeks to go until Broad Street - including only 2 interval days, and the rest easy running - I'm hoping I can stretch things out. But I'll be watching things carefully, and I'll axe some mileage/interval day if necessary.

Monday: 7.5 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 68+47 = 115
  • Splits: 10:12, 10:13, 9:40, 9:36, 11:11, 10:13, 11:51, 11:49
Another run club Monday! At first these Monday night runs depended entirely on what my Tuesday work morning looked like, but nah, these are awesome. I make it a point to always go.

Wednesday: 8.5 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 61+58 = 119
  • 9:42, 9:42, 10:00, 10:16, 9:59, 9:57, 9:53, 9:47, 10:02
The first truly hot and humid day of 2023. Even though the air temperature wasn't that high, the dew point was high, and it was fully sunny. I was drenched by mile 2. Looking back, it's clear I should have slowed down , as I continued to run these like I always do - on the upper end of the pace range.

Thursday: Threshold Workout: 2 Mi WU + 3x 1 Mi LT (8:06) w/ 1:00 RI + 6x 200m R (7:03) w/ 200m RI + 2 Mi CD

This one didn't happen. I did try - I got through the 2 mile warm up and the first LT mile, but I struggled through the second LT mile and called it a day. I was exhausted, as I recorded barely 5 hours of restless sleep the night before - a trend during this steamy week - and the fatigue caught up with me.

I don't recall the exact T+D, but it was just under 130. The air temperature was in the mid-60s, and the dew point was in the low-60s. A dew point of 60 or more is relentless humidity, so I'm not surprised I struggled so much. Add that to over-running my effort over 8.5 miles the previous day plus awful sleep all week, and that's a bad recipe. Oh well.

Somehow, despite all that, I still slept awful. Something like 4 hours of sleep. The temperatures barely cooled overnight. It was still over 80 degrees at 9:30 PM according to Capital Weather Gang - that's more like a steamy summer night, and one that we don't really experience all that often.

Saturday: 8.75 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 47+28 = 75
  • 10:08, 9:42, 10:01, 9:48, 9:45, 9:48, 9:51, 9:53, 11:06
Finally, with a blast of seasonably-cool air, I slept for over 9 hours. Desperately needed. And a beautiful, crisp morning for running. Perfect weather! Another run club morning. This time, because I had so many miles to cover, I went out early and ran about 5 miles, then ran the final 3.5ish with my running club.

Sunday: Threshold Workout: 2 Mi WU + 2 Mi LT (8:06) + 2:00 RI + 2x 1 Mi LT (8:06) w. 1:00 RI + 2 Mi CD; T+D 43+36 = 79
  • WU: 9:50, 10:12; CD: 9:55, 9:57
  • 2 Mi LT (8:06)
    • Mile 1: 8:04
    • Mile 2: 8:07
  • 2x 1 Mile LT (8:06) w/ 1:00 RI
    • Mile 1: 8:08
    • Mile 2: 8:03
This was the next workout on tap in V.O2. I debated simply re-doing the Thursday workout, but this clearly is a harder workout, and with much more favorable weather I simply wanted to see if I could do it. 2 straight LT miles without a break is a pretty tough workout, then adding more behind it? Quite the test.

I breezed through the 2 straight LT miles with surprisingly little difficulty. It got a little tough in the second mile, hence why it's a tad slower, but that's still right on target.

The 3rd mile, even after a 2-minute resting interval, was brutal. I don't know why, but I struggled through the entire thing. I walked the full minute rest interval and expected to slog through the final LT mile, but weirdly it was actually pretty easy. I guess by that point my body was primed? Maybe this Jack Daniels guy knows what he's doing.

Next week: All easy runs! Even on the interval day. Only difference is Thursday/Sunday are slightly longer easy days with strides at the end. With the fatigue that's been building plus a return to miserable heat next week, I'll take it. These are not April temperatures! Then again, our winter has been nonexistent so I guess this is a continuation of our non-seasonality this year.

Last edited:

April 10 - April 16

Two weeks until Broad Street Run

Total mileage: 34.5mi
Total time: 5h 39min

This week was all easy runs. Very welcome as my body fought off the fatigue and the temps are rising. I continue to think maybe Jack Daniels knows what's up and might have a future in this running business. I also figured out why I was struggling last Sunday - ended up with some kind of food poisoning/stomach virus/biblical plague the rest of the day. But then I was totally fine by Monday. Go figure.

Monday: 6 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 62+29 = 91
Wednesday: 6 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 59+45 = 104
Thursday: 7 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41) + Strides; T+D 59+53 = 112
Saturday: 5.5 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 68+63 = 131
Sunday: 10 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41) + Strides; T+D 66+63 = 129

Look at those T+Ds this weekend! I would like a refund on winter.

I was pretty sluggish on my 10 miles this morning despite the easy pace. I was quite tired (editor's note: hung over), which didn't help. I've continued to practice with Tailwind though - 2 scoops in a 5oz bottle before starting and at the 5 mile marker. They're working well even though they don't all taste very good.

And I'm registered for Dopey! For some reason.

So now my hunt continues for a fall half marathon. Baltimore in mid-October is a bit too early. Richmond on November 11 is a possibility, although a tad later than I'd like. The Greenville, SC half is on October 28 as another possibility - but it's quite hilly. A friend is getting married November 4, so that weekend is out. I do want to travel outside of DC, though. The search continues.

April 10 - April 16

Two weeks until Broad Street Run

Total mileage: 34.5mi
Total time: 5h 39min

This week was all easy runs. Very welcome as my body fought off the fatigue and the temps are rising. I continue to think maybe Jack Daniels knows what's up and might have a future in this running business. I also figured out why I was struggling last Sunday - ended up with some kind of food poisoning/stomach virus/biblical plague the rest of the day. But then I was totally fine by Monday. Go figure.

Monday: 6 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 62+29 = 91
Wednesday: 6 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 59+45 = 104
Thursday: 7 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41) + Strides; T+D 59+53 = 112
Saturday: 5.5 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 68+63 = 131
Sunday: 10 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41) + Strides; T+D 66+63 = 129

Look at those T+Ds this weekend! I would like a refund on winter.

I was pretty sluggish on my 10 miles this morning despite the easy pace. I was quite tired (editor's note: hung over), which didn't help. I've continued to practice with Tailwind though - 2 scoops in a 5oz bottle before starting and at the 5 mile marker. They're working well even though they don't all taste very good.

And I'm registered for Dopey! For some reason.

So now my hunt continues for a fall half marathon. Baltimore in mid-October is a bit too early. Richmond on November 11 is a possibility, although a tad later than I'd like. The Greenville, SC half is on October 28 as another possibility - but it's quite hilly. A friend is getting married November 4, so that weekend is out. I do want to travel outside of DC, though. The search continues.
Is mid October too early because of the weather? There’s a great half marathon in Iowa in mid October and the average here that time of year is only 64 but you’ll likely be finished before that time of day. The low is 44 which is much closer to race time temp and in my opinion ideal running temp.

I totally understand why Iowa may not be in your radar but you’d get to cross off a new state if that’s your thing 😊

https://www.desmoinesmarathon.com/

I have not personally run Richmond but had friends that did and loved it. Well organized, good weather, good crowd support and fast.

Is mid October too early because of the weather? There’s a great half marathon in Iowa in mid October and the average here that time of year is only 64 but you’ll likely be finished before that time of day. The low is 44 which is much closer to race time temp and in my opinion ideal running temp.

I totally understand why Iowa may not be in your radar but you’d get to cross off a new state if that’s your thing 😊

https://www.desmoinesmarathon.com/

Ooh - thank you! I'll look into it. Yeah, mid-October is mostly because I'm a wimp about heat, haha.

I have not personally run Richmond but had friends that did and loved it. Well organized, good weather, good crowd support and fast.

Thank you for the input! I've always heard good things about the Richmond full but no one talks about the half.

Have you considered or ran Detroit Free Press Half? It's international so you run in two countries. It's in Michigan so that means you will start the race freezing with icy temps and ready for a dip in the pool by noon. 😂

https://www.freepmarathon.com/marathon/

didn't it also rain last year for the first few hours of the race? low 40s and rain.....Pure Michigan. :rolleyes:
LOL! No, actually, it did not thank god. DH and I ran the half last year and the weather was SPECTACULAR! Mostly cloudy and 45-50 degrees, which to me is perfect for running. 😂 I think it rained later in the day though...

I LOVE this idea. Thank you! I'm between this and MCM now, hah.
YAH!!! You will love it (if you have not run it before). Honestly, it's one the most organized races I have ever run, the spectators are terrific and the course is fun (over the ambassador bridge to canada and back through the tunnel -- so cool!) And if you like bling, the medals are nice. GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to see what you decide!!! :-)

April 17 - April 23

One week until Broad Street Run

Total mileage: 30.8mi
Total time: 4h 59min

Mileage and moving time is definitely coming down.

Monday: 5 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 64+34 = 98
  • Splits: 9:24, 9:02, 11:29, 10:53, 11:09
Run club Monday. I think I was guiding someone here so my last splits were a tad slower than usual, but that's fine.

Wednesday: 5.5 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); T+D 73+24 = 97
  • Splits: 9:39, 9:41, 9:53, 9:35, 9:33, 9:19
Thursday: Threshold Workout: 1.5 Mi WU + 3x 1 Mi LT (8:06) w/ 1:00 RI + 1 Mi CD; T+D 58+52 = 110
  • WU: 10:00, 9:58; CD: 9:40
  • 3 Mi LT (8:06)
    • Mile 1: 8:02
    • Mile 2: 8:02
    • Mile 3: 8:01
This one... wasn't bad. 3 full miles at LT with only 60 seconds of rest remains a tough workout, and for whatever reason I slogged badly through the second mile, but mile 1 was okay and mile 3 was easier. I'll count that as a win.

Saturday: 5.5 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41); Actually ran 4.72 miles
  • Splits: 9:23, 9:40, 11:21, 10:14, 8:54
This was super fun! Instead of our usual run club Saturday, we met a little later and merged with a different group to do an Earth Day run. The intent was to pick up garbage from a local park after the run was over. The problem was there were 2 separate groups - one ran a 5k, and one ran 6.5 miles. Several of us that ran the 5k waited around for supplies, but didn't realize we had to wait for the longer group, and also somehow ended up in the wrong place so we never got supplies. Also the park is meticulously cleaned every few days by neighborhood attendants, so there wasn't much to do. Anyway, I bailed after waiting for about an hour because I was hungry. I figured Earth would still be around on Sunday. Turns out that was accurate. Also, I was out until 1 AM the night before so I was a tad tired.

Sunday: 10 Miles Easy (9:43-10:41) + Strides; T+D 59+43 = 102

No issues with 10 easy miles today. Took in 2 scoops Tailwind both pre-run and at the 5 mile mark. Total breeze. My run club also did a beer run down the Metropolitan Branch Trail which I forgot to record on my watch, but that was fun and now I have a slight headache. Not sure what that could be all about!

Next week

It's race week! Will make a post later this week about my race strategy. At the moment, T+D looks to be around or just under 100 with a decent chance of rain. Could be a tad miserable! I'm looking forward to it.

Haha yes I have also been keeping track of the forecast and it's not great with that rain! Trying to remind myself that a rain forecast 1 week out is not 100% reliable. We have definitely had multiple years where this race was during an absolute downpour however. It's a risk this time of year. I'm steeling myself to do the race anyway no matter the weather, we have trained all these months after all. At least you have other races before & after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!