This is my training journal. I'm bad at titles. (Comments welcome!)

Oh I am definitely doing this unless it's simply unsafe. There's something about blasting across the finish line in the rain that I find weirdly appealing, plus you only get wet once! The forecast is showing rain here in DC that weekend as well, so if that verifies it could be some kind of large system moving through.

Mid-week, pre-race update!

Monday: 4.5 Miles Easy
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: 1.5 Mi WU + 6x 400m R (7:03) w/ 400m RI + 0.5 Mi CD
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Rest
Saturday (planned): 3 miles Shakeout + strides

Haven't run R reps in a while. My target 400m time was 1:45, and my actual splits were 1:38, 1:43, 1:42, 1:44, 1:43, and 1:39. That first rep was way too fast - whoops!

I've got a slight bit of pain in my leg, so I'm resting today and tomorrow. I think/hope it's nothing, and one more easy day of running isn't giving me any extra fitness.

It's race week!

The weather

raining-raining-sideways.gif

Plus a projected starting T+D of a bit over 100.

Actually, it looks like we may luck out. It's definitely going to rain most of the day Saturday and later in the morning/day Sunday, but race morning might be dry? I'm running rain or shine unless it's unsafe with lightning and the like, and that doesn't appear to be the case!

The pacing

Based on my 1:49:25 half at RnR last month, VDOT shows a 1:22:01 10-miler, or an 8:12/mile pace. I definitely don't feel the energy surge I had prior to RnR this time around. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have allowed V.O2 to increase my training paces based on RnR given it's only been about 6 weeks since the race, but there's nothing I can do about that now! On the other hand, while some of the faster intervals have been tough, nothing has been more than I can handle, and I think I can probably trust Jack Daniels.

When I signed up for Broad Street, I had a super-duper stretch goal in my head of sub-1:20, or an 8:00/mile pace. Based on everything I know and with a solid recent HM under my belt, that seems highly unlikely. In order for me to hit a time like that, a few things would need to be true: a favorable course (check), very favorable weather (T+D over 100 means it will be warm, so no), and I'm actually faster than what I ran at RnR. That last one is probably not true. Yes it's a hilly course and yes that probably cost me a bit of time, but not that much - I felt pretty maxed out after the half.

All things considered, I'm in a very good place. I blew my HM PR out of the water at RnR and got a comfortable qualifier for A for Dopey. I'm relatively confident I can PR my 10-miler. I don't know if I have 1:22 or better, but I'm going to find out what my body has for me on Sunday. I'm going out at 8:10-8:15 and seeing how I feel at the 5-mile mark. It might be too much. Or I might surprise myself again, just like I did at RnR!

The nutrition

Maurten 320 drink mix 10-15 minutes before start, because the taste of death makes me run faster. EGel at 5 miles.

The travel

I'll arrive at Pennsylvania 30th St Station via Amtrak around 1:30 Saturday and head straight for the expo. I wish I could come in earlier, but circumstances are not allowing that. The expo is open until 6:00, so it should be plenty of time. I head back home about 24 hours later!

And that's about all I have to say. I'm pretty nervous about this one considering the circumstances surrounding my last running/racing trip to Philadelphia. 2023 has turned into a sort-of reclamation for myself and my running journey. Broad Street is for me and only me, no matter how the race goes. And to that end, I've already registered for my fall race - I'll address that in a separate post next week.

This will wrap up a highly successful spring season. Assuming I come out of the race feeling good, I'll likely sign up for the Capitol Hill Classic 10k in late May, but that won't be a goal race.

Race report to follow Sunday or Monday!

Broad Street Run

Today has been a blur. I'm home now, relaxing and sipping on a Mai Tai, as one should do. I believe this is the first time I've traveled on the same day as an all-out race effort, and despite it being only a 2-hour train ride, I'm pretty beat!

Expo

Comparing and contrasting the Rock n' Roll expo (Convention Center) to the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler (Building Museum), I'm always grateful when races know they're going to get a ton of people and plan for it. With almost 36,000 runners, a big expo space was required. The Broad Street Run is immediately on my good side because the expo was at the Philadelphia Convention Center, and it was of course super efficient and I was in and out in 15 minutes. Also, I love the shirt!

PXL_20230429_174513843.jpgPXL_20230429_181749812.jpg

Race Morning

My alarm went off at 5:00 AM. With Rock n' Roll, I made the mistake of eating my usual breakfast and it almost cost me at the race. This time, I stuck with my trusty bagel plus some coffee.

@SheHulk was gracious enough to offer to meet me before we headed to the starting line. Somewhat serendipitously, I picked a hotel that was literally 3 blocks from where she lived. Didn't even plan that! We exchanged texts and I headed out the door about 6:10 AM, and also met her DH and her adorable Boston terrier/bulldog mix dog. The streets were mostly quiet, but the runners were already shuffling around.

I've also never been so grateful for a trash bag. There was no rain - yet - but there was a light mist. Thanks again for thinking ahead @SheHulk! I started to get concerned that I should've brought my rain jacket because it was quite chilly outside (T+D something like 53+53, with some wind and mist), but I know how hot I run and if it rains during a race, not even a rain jacket will help.

We headed for the Broad Street subway line and rode up to the race start at Olney Transportation Center. That train ride gave me an appreciation for just how long this race was! I also mentioned in my pre-race update that I was anxious about this race for many reasons, and geez I was nervous. I had a brief panic attack while riding the train (which @SheHulk immediately sniffed out and graciously talked me out of), which was rather embarrassing.

I do not remember much at all before the race. We ran into one of @SheHulk's coworkers and chatted for a while. I used the port-o-potties and waited for the race to start. It was good to talk to everyone and keep my mind off of things. We headed for the corrals around 7:30-7:35. All runners were required to be in the corrals by 7:40.

I was in the orange corral. The seeding went elites/red corral, purple corral, then orange. I figured I would start somewhere around 8:10, so I drank my Maurten 320 drink mix at 7:55. And my corral started right at 8:10!

PXL_20230430_120749074.jpg

Broad Street Run

This race is a total blur for me, probably not the least of which is we were literally running down the same street for almost the entire race. I decided once again not to bother with any pace alerts and instead run entirely by feel, just like I had with RnR. Also for whatever reason, Strava did not correctly copy the data from my Garmin, so my splits will be based on Garmin Connect. I wish I could use the Strava time, because it's faster! Alas, my Garmin elapsed time is dead-on with my official result, so we'll go with that.

Mile 1: 8:09 (GAP 8:17)
Mile 2: 7:54 (GAP 7:57)
Mile 3: 8:05 (GAP 8:07)
Mile 4: 8:01 (GAP 7:59)
Mile 5: 8:06 (GAP 8:11)

I was quite surprised at how many rolling hills there were in this race. At the expo, there was a sign alerting runners to an uphill at mile 2, which I appreciated, but really Broad Street is a big series of rolling hills. I wasn't tracking my GAP, but these are the values according to Garmin. I think it's interesting I out-ran my GAP on every mile except one here in the first half. Also, my Garmin mile matched exactly to the race course miles for both the first and second miles, which is the first time that's ever happened to me. I guess when you're running in a straight line, it's easy to follow the tangents!

In my pre-race update, I also talked about pacing. My goal was simply to hit my VDOT conversion from RnR, which was 1:22:01. I also felt like my stretch goal of sub-1:20 was unrealistic based on my fitness.

At mile 5, my Garmin elapsed time was 40:14. When we passed the actual mile marker 5 miles in, I vividly remember I checked my watch to see how much total time had elapsed - 40:33. I felt okay to good. Not great, but not bad either. But 5 miles were already gone and it went quite fast. I had my EGel and mulled things over.

If I was going to make my stretch goal of sub-1:20, I would need a negative split of 33 seconds. After some quick mental math, I was going to need to average a 7:52/mile or thereabouts for the duration of the race to have a chance. I wasn't sure if I quite had that in me today, but it wasn't totally unreasonable either.

I decided to go for it.

No matter what happened, I was leaving everything out there on Broad Street today.

Mile 6: 7:57 (GAP 7:55) Elapsed time 48:12
Mile 7: 7:45 (GAP 7:44) Elapsed time 55:56

So if we're counting an 8-minute mile average, and I was halfway through the race, I knew I needed my elapsed times at each mile marker to be somewhere around 48, 56, 64, and 72 minutes for the second half. The first step was getting my Garmin mileage under that time. Miles 6 and 7 were good starts. I don't remember my actual elapsed time at the mile markers on the race course for any other miles except the halfway point, but I do remember that slowly but surely, the seconds were coming down.

Mile 8: 7:55 (GAP 8:00) Elapsed time 1:03:51
Mile 9: 8:00 (GAP 7:59) Elapsed time 1:11:51

Based on my Garmin, I was on track. Of course, the mile markers were a little beyond my Garmin tracking, and I was just a little behind my targets of 1:04 and 1:12. I don't remember the exact times, but I was doing what I needed to do. Mile 9 was a little slow if I was going to do this, but I figured no matter what I needed a burst at the end because I was so close. I also ran right by a race photographer around this time and it made me laugh, because I (like everyone else) was soaked head to toe. I'll have to buy that picture if it comes out well and definitely post it here.

And then? Disaster struck.

Somewhere around mile 9.25, I felt something hitting my shoe. I looked down, and OH NO!! My shoe came untied! In all of the 118 miles I had put on my Topo Specters before today, not once had they ever come untied on me. I guess the soaking rain made them heavy and out they came.

I had no choice. 3/4 of a mile was too far to run and risk tripping and/or an injury. I moved to the side and tied my shoe. It took about 15-20 seconds, and at that point I knew my quest for sub-1:20 was very likely not happening today.

But I kept at it!

Mile 10: 8:00 (GAP 8:03) Elapsed time 1:19:51

So okay, unofficially I had a sub-1:20 10-miler. Yay! But the race wasn't over yet. I could see the finish line ahead. I gave it everything I had and ran.

I glanced at my watch and I saw a pace of 5:xx. I'm not sure that's accurate, but frankly given the way I was booking it, it was possible. But sadly I couldn't hold on and I had to pull back. Even with the finish line in sight, my body simply had nothing left to give me. I was starting to feel that nausea and lightheadedness that comes when you know you've spent absolutely everything you had.

Mile 0.04: 7:23 (GAP 7:31)

Total Time: 1:20:09
Age Group: 559 / 2,106
Overall: 4,053 / 27,673

Man, so many thoughts about this one.

So first, my previous PR was an M Tempo training run at the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler on April 2, which came out to 1:27:45. Clearly, this was a huge PR, and I am thrilled about smashing over 7 minutes off my best 10-miler effort. Comparing it to a 10-miler I raced, I would have to go all the way back to September 2021, the only other 10-miler I ran, which was a 1:30:23. It's totally surreal to me that my fitness took that big of a jump in just 6 weeks. Watching my paces jump in VDOT is a weird kind of dopamine hit.

Second, it obviously stings just a little that I missed my stretch goal by 10 seconds. I probably would've made it if my shoe hadn't come untied! Life is funny that way. When I saw my time on my Garmin after crossing the finish line, all I could do is laugh. Running is so fickle sometimes! But I'm not angry or upset in the slightest. Honestly, I'm re-reading my pre-race update and remembering my mindset going into today, and I couldn't even fathom sub-1:20. It seemed so unrealistic to me that I totally dismissed it and I focused my mindset and preparation on hitting that 1:22:01. To come so close to making sub-1:20 on a day with a cycle that I didn't think could get me there? Unreal. It gave me chills, none of which were caused by the pouring rain. Okay, maybe a few were.

Third, I'm happy to report that not once during the race did I think about the marathon last year or any of the other stuff I went through. I was laser-focused and locked in for the entire race. When I crossed the finish line I cried, but this time it was for entirely different reasons. This was for me. No matter what time I ran, today was a success.

What else... oh yeah, my birthday is tomorrow! When I got into this race, I knew I would make it special no matter what.

Thanks for reading!

What's next?

I already signed up for the Capitol Hill Classic 10k on May 21. Racing is fun! Yay running! Probably not a goal race, but it'll be a fun race with friends.

Last edited:
Great recap! I am sooo thankful to have had you to travel to the race, and do pre-race with this morning. It was a real pleasure.

200w.gif

... oh yeah, you told us ;)

Happy birthday B!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter