Things to help with the heat

MADE our kids hydrate with WATER!

I also do this. I hold whatever they want to do hostage until the water is drank. Not heavy handed, just hand them a bottle of water and say 'we won't xxxx, until this is gone', or half gone, whatever the current need is. Then just fill in the blank with whatever they want to do next....leave for the park, ride that ride, go for lunch, get that snack, go for a swim, etc etc

You really want to watch how many restroom breaks your kid is taking (or diaper changes for the wee ones -pun intended-). When you realize you left the hotel at 8am and it's now 2 pm and they've not gone, you've got a problem on your hands.

'Hydration begins before the race' drink a lot in the days leading up to the heat exposure and your body will be better equipped to handle it, don't wait til you're actually in it.

Eat lots of 'water' type foods like grapes and watermelon. This is good for 'tricking' kids into hydrating too.

You all have had some great suggestions! Thank you so much! I am purchasing a few things on Amazon right now. How about sunscreen? Anyone have a favorite kind (especially for the kids)?

I use a sunscreen spray for the kids because it's quicker, so I think they'll be more likely to stand still long enough for me to use it! But you have to be careful that you're using enough. I read an article that said you need to spray 6 seconds on each area, which is at least twice as much as I started out doing. To do this, I spray them thoroughly all over once, then repeat.

I always try to buy one that says it's water-resistant as well, although I do still apply it after getting out of the water.

I do use a separate "faces" sunscreen, a lotion, for faces.

Most importantly, be sure you take the sunscreen with you into the parks so you can reapply as needed as most only last 4 hours or so.

We're from Seattle, so my kids are pretty pale! My dad has had skin cancer, so I'm very diligent with the sunscreen! Here's a link to a good article listing some recommended brands:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/sunscreen/a/best_sunscreen.htm

We use Banana Boat sunscreen. The Ultra Defense sheer protect SPF 50. My kids both have sensitive skin and it's worked great. My youngest is a red head, so we re-apply a lot all day.

I use water babies, it works really well for me! :) Though I generally use whatever I can get my hands on.. my favorite is water babies. After I am out in the sun I use a aloe vera lotion (I forgot who its by, but it has like Hawaiian something something) to help soothe skin regardless if I am burned or not.

Eat at least one banana before heading to the parks each day. The potassium in bananas works extremely well in reducing the effects of heat stroke. Of course lots of water is essential. Fruit smoothies works for us as well.

Thanks for the banana tip! :banana:

I had never heard it before and I'm willing to try it. A banana with breakfast sounds like a great idea in any case.

Two of my favorite places to eat in hot weather are Hungry Bear and Pizza Port. Both have shady, cool, plentiful outdoor seating and offer a break from the crowds, so we can eat in comfort and sit for a while and rest. :)

I have lived in the desert for over 30 years, with temps of 115F in the summer not uncommon.

Some things I have learned: Move slowly; drink a lot of water; keep the area of the carotid arteries cool, maybe with a small wet rolled-up towel; wear a hat, but not a tight one as heat escapes through our heads; take breaks in the shade; wear loose-fitting cotton clothing (no polyester).

The Animation Building in Hollywood Land is one of our favorite spots to sit and relax out of the heat.

DLR cools down at night, so we take advantage of that time.
Some good advice here, but I'm also going to have to disagree with the bolded portion. Cotton traps moisture and wet cotton doesn't breathe. Synthetics wic moisture away from the skin so that it can evaporate which helps keep things cool. Cotton socks are bad in the heat and can lead to blisters, especially if you ride attractions that leave you with wet feet. I wear synthetic golf shirts and hiking shorts and can get completely soaked and be dry in less than an hour.

Other than that, drink lots and lots of water and make sure you sit down in the shade and rest every once in awhile.

Well it was crazy hot last week & some of the things we did to get through the days comfortably were:
~ hydrate constantly! We were never without a drink of some sort in our hands/bags, the colder the better!
~ take advantage of & enjoy the cooler rides if the outside queues are short: Ariel's, soaring, tot, buzz, star tours, haunted mansion, etc.
~ go see shows (Aladdin, tiki room, Maleficent preview, muppets, etc.
~ animation academy
~ dine at restaurants with AC
~ take breaks!!!! Swim, nap, whatever it takes to recharge you to face the evening. :)
~ walk in the shade whenever possible
~ most washrooms have AC
~ wear hats, sunglasses & sunscreen!

We brought a cooler with ice in a ziplock bag. My kids won't drink water but they love to chomp on ice bits. We stood in line in 100 degrees while eating ice and it made all the difference in the world.

Anyone have better idea than using a ziplock and our hands??? I brought plastic cups for each child but those ended up on the ground and in the garbage in no time. When I gave them their own by, they were drenched... Shoes and all ( they were in the stroller). Prepping for another trip in the heat!

Start early. Take a break from 12 - 3 and go swimming, come back into the park extremely fresh. This is when you see people red faced, exhausted, and looking for shade. You'll be whistling Dixie. :cool1:

One of the WDW blogs .... probably DIS . . . has a list of items and they link to Amazon for items to cool you off . . . one of my favorites was the Cool Off wipes --- they do lower your body temp . . they contain witch hazel and alcohol. They also list some body creams, one being Body Glide. I found an awesome pair of capris at Athleta --- well worth the $59 ... called Cute Capris. I wore these every day in April in Florida (they were having extremely hot weather). Easily washed out at night and were dry by morning. Best money ever spent!

Start early. Take a break from 12 - 3 and go swimming, come back into the park extremely fresh. This is when you see people red faced, exhausted, and looking for shade. You'll be whistling Dixie. :cool1:

If you are staying nearby, then I think this is v best advice of all. Arrive at opening, enjoy the parks during cooler morning hours (and crowds are lighter too) until it starts to get really hot at midday. Then leave for your hotel. Nap, swim, eat lunch, take an extended rest out of the sun. Then just before sunset return to the park for all the special night time fun. This works best in summer (when of course it is hottest) and the park stays open until midnight or 1am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter