They Should Make Margaritas a Snack Credit! - September 2011 Dining Review

Hey Jen! Loved your review of Jiko! It really helps since I'm debating eating there when I go back in February. Oh and I took a bit of a DIS hiatus. I hope to stay caught up now on your thread. Missed ya :cutie:

Never been to Jiko. It looks and sounds fantastic!!!

Yes every place in Disney has the best creme brulee. I'm not sure how that is possible, but it is true. The only place we didn't try it was the French boulangerie, because they wouldn't let us take it to go. Too hot out.

No brulee for you!

Boma has a watermelon salad, too, with ...

never mind- it was grapefruit, avocado and papaya

It sounded weird, so I didn't want to try it but my DH insisted. And he was right. Yum.

IMG_1846.jpg

Yes, please share your bread pudding recipe!

Recipe one of two... as requested. :goodvibes

Ginger-Jam Bread Pudding
(Adapted from Nigella Lawson recipe)

6Tbs Unsalted Butter
3Tbs Scotch
@10Tbs Ginger Preserves
1 Egg
2 ¼ C. Heavy Cream
1 tsp ground ginger
1/3 C. Golden Raisins
10 Slices brown bread
4 egg yolks
3 Tbs sugar
¾ C. + 2 Tbs whole milk
2 Tbs Demerara Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease dish with butter. Put raisins in small bowl, cover with scotch and microwave for 1 minute, then leave to soak.

Make sandwiches with the bread, butter, and jam, should have a bit of butter left over. Just into triangles (diagonal) and arrange them evenly in dish with points sticking up. Sprinkle with raisins and leftover scotch. Whisk yolks and egg together with sugar, cream, and milk. Pour over bread triangles and leave to soak for about 10 minutes. Smear exposed crusts with extra butter. Mix demerara sugar and ginger and sprinkle over pudding. Sit dish on baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until custard has set and puffed. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes.

We interrupt this report to allow Jen to go on her mini Disney vacation!:banana: We're heading out Friday morning and I'm not sure I'll have time to update between now and when our flight leaves. Weather looks to be typical Florida confusion, so we'll see what we get.

Coming back on Wednesday, and will pick up the report from there!

Hope everyone is doing well!:goodvibes

Jen

Remember me? ;)

Yeah, I'm back to the DIS. After a 4 month absence. (Though I've seen you on FB and Pinterest, of course!)

I've read all your reviews, however, this will be my only comment:

Holy moly, that bowl of granola at CRT was HUGE!

Hope you're having fun on your mini-vacation!

Flame Tree Barbecue

While in the Animal Kingdom, we decided to grab a quick lunch at Flame Tree. I really couldn’t resist the smell of smoked meat every time we walked back around from DinoLand. First impressions, the lines are super-fast, though like many other counter service areas in Disney they “Enter” and “Exit” areas are convoluted and a bit awkward.

That being said, it wasn’t long before we brought this back to a nice table under a covered pavilion:

100_0177.jpg

While I’m on the subject, do not, I repeat, do NOT sit under one of the open areas. I don’t care how lovely it seems to sit under the trees on a gorgeous day. Don’t do it. You know why? Birds like trees. Trust me, it will not end well for you. :rolleyes1

I went for the Pork Sandwich and Mike decided to get the ½ Chicken and Ribs plate.

First off, a thought on the two different BBQ sauces they offer. If you like Carolina style BBQ, you probably won’t like either one. Yes, I’m a Carolina BBQ fan. I like vinegar. Mike hates it. Let’s just say we eat fish and chips on opposite ends of the table…. The smell bothers him that much. Anyway, I digress. The “sweet and spicy” sauce is pretty good, the other, eh.

Beans to us? Also meh.

Coleslaw was surprisingly good! Pretty fresh, and not a ton of mayo, which I like.

My sandwich was decent, but dry. Mike’s chicken on the other hand? Wow, it was shockingly good! (As a side note, we just got back from our Feb trip and I tried the combo platter. The chicken on that was not as good. You have to go with the half chicken to get the breast meat, which is far superior). I probably ate three bites of my pork then stole most of his chicken from him. I will absolutely order this next time we go!

Pudding was ok, but not cold. The key lime “thing” was downright nasty, *shudder*.

Overall, good meal, though I’d make some changes next time. Also, the portions are large, this past trip, we split one meal between the two of us and there were still leftovers… so keep that in mind as a cost savings!

Thanks for the Flame Tree BBQ review. DW keeps bugging me EVERY trip that she wants to eat there, but for some reason, we always end up at Pizzafari. Thanks to your review, I'll be heading straight for the half chicken.

Thanks for the Flame Tree BBQ review. DW keeps bugging me EVERY trip that she wants to eat there, but for some reason, we always end up at Pizzafari. Thanks to your review, I'll be heading straight for the half chicken.

I'm so glad it helped!:thumbsup2 I don't think you can go wrong with the chicken, and I should have mentioned I'm also not a big chicken fan in general. It was that good.:goodvibes

How is Pizzafari, btw?

I don't think I've heard one person like that Key Lime Pie cup from Flame Tree.

Ha, I know, right?:lmao: Here's my thought on the subject. This is a BBQ joint, it's hot in there. It's also hot outside. So how do they think that pudding will stay nice and cool while you eat your meal in...oh...95 degree heat?;)

Remember me? ;)

Yeah, I'm back to the DIS. After a 4 month absence. (Though I've seen you on FB and Pinterest, of course!)

I've read all your reviews, however, this will be my only comment:

Holy moly, that bowl of granola at CRT was HUGE!

Hope you're having fun on your mini-vacation!

HOW DID I MISS THIS???

Welcome back Shannon dear! :hug:

I had to laugh when you mentioned FB and Pinterest, I think I even gave up on FB for awhile, Pinterest sucked me in!!! To think it all started with a friend telling me it taught her how to curl her hair with socks....:rotfl2:

That bowl of granola is why I am swallowing my (newly formed) fear of Disney Princesses and booking CRT again for our October trip. The stuffed french toast may be amazing, but it will never match the bananas....:banana:

Not that banana, the caramelized ones! :goodvibes

On our trip in 2008, I was determined to eat at the Flame Tree after reading so many excellent reviews. Well my family was starving and I think it took me over an hour to find the restaurant. We walked back and forth from Asia to Africa a couple of times and by the time we got there, everyone was in a pissy moody.

Food was ok, didn't blow us away (again, think the moods may have had something to do with it)

We haven't been back, but I would like to try it again. Maybe I'll lure the teens there. They like BBQ, right?

I'm a day late, but I thought this would be appropriate for your report

NationalMargaritaDayFebruary22.jpg

On our trip in 2008, I was determined to eat at the Flame Tree after reading so many excellent reviews. Well my family was starving and I think it took me over an hour to find the restaurant. We walked back and forth from Asia to Africa a couple of times and by the time we got there, everyone was in a pissy moody.

Food was ok, didn't blow us away (again, think the moods may have had something to do with it)

We haven't been back, but I would like to try it again. Maybe I'll lure the teens there. They like BBQ, right?

Ok, first off, LOVE the Margarita Day! Shame I missed it... being sick and all. (I think this means I get Margarita Makeup Day!!!)

So, I will say this about Flame Tree. I think the timing of your visit might matter. Did you go later in the day? This past trip we headed over around 2, 2:30 or so, and while it was good, the ribs were a bit dry and our chicken portion, well, smaller. I wonder, depending on park attendance, they might run out of "prime" cuts?:confused3

Moods also have a lot to do with it. Which is why I'm going to give San Angel a shot again next trip if we can work it in....

Helooooo everyone!

I hope some people are still hanging around here, I've been HORRIBLE about updating this... might have something to do with three reports going at the same time....:lmao:

But, I am here to tell you THAT IS ABOUT TO CHANGE!

That's right, tomorrow I plan on spending the ENTIRE DAY UPDATING THIS DINING REVIEW! That is all I am going to focus on.

...well, and laundry.

But AFTER that, this has me 100%.:wizard:

Hope you're still there, because the reviews are going to start pouring in!:rotfl:

Helooooo everyone!

I hope some people are still hanging around here, I've been HORRIBLE about updating this... might have something to do with three reports going at the same time....:lmao:

But, I am here to tell you THAT IS ABOUT TO CHANGE!

That's right, tomorrow I plan on spending the ENTIRE DAY UPDATING THIS DINING REVIEW! That is all I am going to focus on.

...well, and laundry.

But AFTER that, this has me 100%.:wizard:

Hope you're still there, because the reviews are going to start pouring in!:rotfl:

I'm waiting here in anticipation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter