"There must be more than this provincial life..."

What a wonderful disney moment. I can just imagine the screaming and the jumping that went on.

I don't blame you about being selfish about your ADR's. You had planned months in advance and done the homework. I wouldn't be willing to just give them up either.

So sweet! I would have loved to see a picture or video of that little reunion! After all that frustration of getting your ADR's I'm sure you were a bit panic-y after your brother's announcement. What a fun addition to the trip though. Looking forward to more! popcorn::

O.K., my brother isn’t mean, coarse or unrefined, but what an excellent title!
I thought he was hairy.

(What? Don’t you celebrate Arbor Day? Send Arbor Day cards? Have the traditional Arbor Day feast of circus peanuts, asparagus, and liverwurst sandwiches?).
So that's what I've been missing all these years.

DB – older, much older, than me. He survived his wild youth, became an architect, and then a successful entrepreneur. He is a dork.
And covered with hair.

I’ve told them many times, if they ever broke up, I’m keeping her and sending DB back to her family.
I wish I had ONE in-law I could say this about.

CONFESSION TIME: :maleficen I was excited to have DB and DSIL traveling with us, but I was also being quite selfish about my ADRs.
I wouldn't expect any different. Not that I'm slamming your character (because I'm sure it's a perfectly nice one), but I would have done the same thing. Let's face it, ADRs are gold during Free Dining Days.

Those little girls saw each other, screamed, ran together, and wrapped their arms tight around each other. :hug: They were laughing and talking at the same time, and all we could is smile. I looked around, and saw a few people, strangers in the lobby, tearing up just a little. One of our best Disney moments ever.
I actually teared up myself when I read it! What a wonderful surprise. :cloud9:

I love your TR!

So sweet! I would have loved to see a picture or video of that little reunion! After all that frustration of getting your ADR's I'm sure you were a bit panic-y after your brother's announcement. What a fun addition to the trip though. Looking forward to more! popcorn::

Yes, very fun. After the panic-y part!

I thought he was hairy.

And covered with hair.

Not that I'm slamming your character (because I'm sure it's a perfectly nice one), but I would have done the same thing.

Youk know, he is kind of hairy, not that you have me thinking about it. Eeew.

As far as my character, well, you know, :maleficen.

Thanks for playing along, guys!

Hi Fellow Buckeye!

Loving your TR so far. I am glad that I am not the only ocd one when it comes to reservations, adr's, so on, and so on. :) Can't wait for the next installment.

Hi Fellow Buckeye!

Loving your TR so far. I am glad that I am not the only ocd one when it comes to reservations, adr's, so on, and so on. :) Can't wait for the next installment.

:welcome:

Go Bucks!

Glad to have you here, and I am working on an update soon.

Stumbled onto this and it is the funniest TR ever. I actually laughed out loud, which was bad because I'm at work! Hope you don't mind if I lurk (I'm the one crouched in the corner, just ignore me and go about your business)...

I love this report.

(I think my favorite is "good girl" for the ADR's - oh, and the CM recommending yoga....:rotfl2:)

More, PLEASE!

:welcome: MrsSpratt!

I am working on an update, just trying to pare it down to make it more digestable (How much do you really want to read about rain in Kentucky, or bladder problems? You're about to find out!).

I am cheap.

Not buy-my-wedding-dress-at-Walmart cheap, but I definitely know how to stretch a dollar until it screams for mercy. And I ask you, is it wrong to feed your kids generic brand cereal? To re-use aluminum foil? To steal extra shampoo from the mousekeeping cart? To buy your pregnancy tests at the dollar store? If that’s wrong, baby I don’t want to be right.

But I’m also lazy. My motto is: why stand if you can sit, and why sit if you can lie down and take a little nap? I’m often trying to reconcile my cheap side with my laziness, and that’s how I end up working a few extra hours so I can pay a cleaning lady, so I can take a nap on Saturday afternoons. That whole conundrum is getting easier as the girls get older and can handle more chores around the house (“DD13, go throw in a load of laundry, would you? Mama can’t get up off the couch. And hand me the remote on your way out of the room.”).

OFF TOPIC: Please don’t get all outraged and post about child labor laws. I’ve stopped making them chop firewood, and I rarely ask them to drive to town to get me cigarettes anymore, O.K.?

I’ve just learned that there are things I will pay for, and things I won’t. I will pay for a trip to Disney, but I won’t pay for a deluxe resort. I will pay for a preferred room, but I won’t pay over a thousand dollars for us to fly to Orlando. I will pay for tickets to Blizzard Beach, but I won’t pay $8 for a little plate of eggs and toast for breakfast. If these things don’t make sense to you, well, you should start a support group with my DH. And you definitely should stop reading this right now, and go do your taxes or something.

How a Cheap Person Chooses a Resort

:teacher:

After our first few trips (Rack rate at the CR? Seriously?) and after discovering the DIS, I realized with better planning we could go back the WDW more often. DH, bless his little heart, was right on board with that, as were the girls (duh).

So we started our odyssey of trips to the All Start Resorts. We found ourselves in the minority of people that love All Start Sports, and we usually splurge on a “preferred” room. It is a little piece of heaven, after watching Wishes and waiting in line for 7 hours and 45 minutes for a bus, to know we are just a few steps from our room.

I know when we check in at Sports, no one says “Welcome home!” But it feels like home. Especially the out-of-date pictures on the walls (you know, the sports “stars” from, like, 1992...just like home). With Nana and Papa along, we put one of the girls in their room and we have plenty of space for everyone (not that I would ever consider putting five people in a room that allows only four, oh no, not me, no sir). We always get a room looking over the pool and close to the laundry room (easy access for DD13).

We also like the food court, another thing that puts us in the minority. But I think the variety is great, the prices are livable, and we can watch T.V. while we eat (just like home).

DD13 and I were shopping in the GF one time, and she came up and whispered, “Mom, this is the same stuff we have in the shop at our hotel, but why does it feel like it is more expensive? Let’s just go back to our hotel, like the good little rednecks we are.” That’s my girl!

So, All Start Sports (cheap) preferred room (lazy). Check!

How a Cheap Person Saves on Airfare

:teacher:

Driving (cheap, but requires effort) versus flying (not cheap, but much easier, and we can pack as much junk as we want) was harder to decide. But we’ve come up with a system, and to save $1000 we can live with it. I come home from work Friday evening and go to bed, while DH finishes loading the car, feeds the kids, does baths, and gets them to bed (I like this part of the plan – I sleep while he works). We get up and leave around 2:00 in the morning, with me driving. :drive: If I really haul butt, I can have us in Tennessee by the time they all wake up. We get some breakfast, I crawl in the back of the van, and DH takes over. I sleep until lunchtime in Atlanta. Then we cruise through the rest of Georgia (Bor. ing.), and hit Valdosta by dinner. We stop for the night, get up early, and get to WDW before noon. No muss, no fuss. Until this year.

We got up, as usual, and hit the road. Everyone (expect for me) fell back to sleep, I fired up the iPod, and set the cruise control. And it started to rain. Not cute little “drip, drip, drop, little April showers” but more like “the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down” thunderstorms. And the windshield wipers weren’t working. You know, when they leave that really wide strip of rain directly in your line-of-sight? I was suddenly driving like I was 95 years old, terrified of every little splash and noise. But I couldn’t slow down! We have a plan! Atlanta by lunch time! Have. To. Keep. Driving. I thought they were going to have to surgically remove my hands from the steering wheel, I was gripping it so hard.

Then, out came the raccoons. (DO NOT read on if you have a weak stomach, or are a member of PETA). Driving on backroads in the middle of the night, I swear I hit seven raccoons on the road this year. It was disgusting, and I made a mental note to get out and make sure we didn’t have roadkill stuck to the front of the van before the girls got out.

And the fog rolled in. How can it be foggy and rainy at the same time? Doesn’t seem possible, but I drove through pea soup from Dayton to breakfast time.

Speaking of Dayton, that’s where the construction began. Not little two lane back ups, but “we’re completely demolishing the entire interstate” construction where you have high concrete walls on either side of you. Yep, just me and the semis, which I couldn’t see clearly through the rain-covered windshield and the fog. It lasted, off an on, all the way through Ohio and Kentucky. :sad:

And DH and the princesses slept away. Buttheads.

But we had a schedule to keep, so I kept driving, and driving, and driving.

“Through the mist, through the woods, through the darkness and the shadows…”

DH woke up around 7:30, and asked, “How are thing going?” I wanted to bludgeon him with the iPod, but I couldn’t unfurl my hands from the steering wheel.

As soon as he woke up I was done. I took the next exit, pulled into a gas station, got out of the van, and walked away. In the rain. Took a few deep breaths, and maybe let out a little scream of relief. I felt better, and DH had the usual talk with the girls about how Mama is a little crazy, but that’s O.K. because we love her, yadda, yadda, yadda. He has to do that once in a while.

I went into the gas station and asked if there was an Auto Zone nearby, and the clerk told me there was one right around the corner. God love her. DH dropped us at a Burger King, and went to Auto Zone for new wiper blades. He asked them for the best, most expensive pair they had, and for the love of God, make it quick because we had a schedule to keep.

After breakfast and potty, we got back on the road. I was in the back, with a beautiful, fabulous little bed all set up, and as I drifted off the sleep, I noticed that it stopped raining. Seriously.

(ANOTHER WARNING: way too much information ahead. I’m not apologizing or anything, but you should be warned.)

I woke up as we crossed into Georgia. Oh, and what is this? What other delights do we have in store for us today? I know that feeling. I have a bladder infection. :sick: Yes, I can tell, just like that. So I got on the phone with my doctor’s office. They have Saturday morning hours, but apparently Nurse Ratched wasn’t happy about having to work that day and took it out on me. She didn’t think the doctor would call in a prescription for me without seeing me, and where would he call it into anyway? I told her all about my trip binder, conveniently stocked with a list of Walmart pharmacies all along our driving route, so I could give her the number for one in Atlanta – which we would be passing in about 90 minutes. She sighed, and said fine, she would call me back. She didn’t call (I knew she wouldn’t). After a while I called her, and she said yes, the doctor was going to call something in for me. And reminded me that he really shouldn’t be doing this. She really didn’t get it when I told her to have a magical day as we hung up! :tongue:

We got into Atlanta, and stopped at Walmart. And the pharmacy was closed for lunch. :headache: So we browsed through the store (like we haven’t spent enough of our lives inside a Walmart) and took a little potty break.

NOTE: It is so unfair that, because we have three girls, DH can make a pit stop in about 45 seconds, while I am in there for 25 minutes minimum. If you didn’t think I was weird before, this should convince you: I travel with my own little bathroom cleaning kit – paper towels, cleaner, rubber gloves, the whole bit. Before my little princess’ bums hit that seat, it has been scrubbed clean. One time we were at a gas station (EEWWW!) and I was doing my obsessive-compulsive cleaning thing, and another lady came in. I told her the other stalls were open, but she said no, she wanted to wait and use ours since she knew it would be clean. :rotfl2:

At 1:00 on the nose, I was first in line at the pharmacy. The clerk was a doll. She told me the doctor called this prescription in himself, and told them to make sure to have it ready because we had a schedule to keep! Soon we were off like a prom dress, with me properly and happily medicated.

Of course at this point, the schedule was pretty well shot, and we limped into Valdosta around 7:00, which I consider a complete failure.

Oh, yeah, driving seems like a REALLY good idea now!

In the morning, we got up and hit the road. We began to notice how hot it was (a foreboding sign of things to come). Once we got on the highway, we realized the air conditioning wasn’t working. So we drove the next two hours with the windows cracked until we finally stopped at this dumpy little gas station that advertised 24-hour repairs. As soon as we turned the van off and the on again, the air started working. We had done something to the system with the automatic start that caused the problem. Brilliant!

Fortunately, that was the end of the drama for the trip down, and we drove under that beautiful welcome sign just before lunch.

:cloud9:

I am so in love with you it hurts! :love:

Minus the OCD srub a dub a thons you do...right down the the UTI's and knowing your body better than an CT scan....we are the same person!

I have read the whole thing in one sitting and I cracked up and laughed till it hurt.

I am so excited to keep reading this and I love your whole family and your outlook on travel!

Okay - I will creep back to my stalker shadows! :cool2:

So glad you posted the other day (ahemmm...I mean you might have posted if it was tsill there but it is not so it is a banquised post so does that still count? Did your ticker deplete one?)

Can't wait for more!!! :lovestruc:yay::dance3:

I am so in love with you it hurts! :love:

Minus the OCD srub a dub a thons you do...right down the the UTI's and knowing your body better than an CT scan....we are the same person!

I have read the whole thing in one sitting and I cracked up and laughed till it hurt.

I am so excited to keep reading this and I love your whole family and your outlook on travel!

Okay - I will creep back to my stalker shadows! :cool2:

So glad you posted the other day (ahemmm...I mean you might have posted if it was tsill there but it is not so it is a banquised post so does that still count? Did your ticker deplete one?)

Can't wait for more!!! :lovestruc:yay::dance3:

HEY! It's Disneydawn!

I don't mind being deleted, but darn it, I still better get the credit for the post!

Anyway, thanks for coming over, and for not calling me the weirdo I am.

Dawn told me I just HAD to come and check out your TR so here I am...

Good stuff :thumbsup2 6 pages and you just drove under the welcome sign :rotfl2:

Dawn told me I just HAD to come and check out your TR so here I am...

Good stuff :thumbsup2 6 pages and you just drove under the welcome sign :rotfl2:

Isn't it like the trip itself, months and months of planning and anticipation, and then poof! it's here, then it's over.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter