"There must be more than this provincial life..."

Normangirls

DIS Veteran
Shared experiences. I love the WalMart commercial that aired on Christmas day – two neighbors, in their backyards, digging through the trash.
One asks, “What are you looking for?”
The other replies, “A hairbrush for a Rapunzel Barbie.”
Been there.

Writing a TR is about shared experiences. Enjoying someone else’s take on our favorite rides. Someone else’s perspective on Values versus Moderates. Relaxed versus commando. June versus December. Pull the kids out of school versus going during busy season. Paper versus plastic. Deal versus no deal.

:hyper2:

So this is just my little take on the experience of Walt Disney World.

Since I didn’t plan a TR, and have the short term memory of Dory, I can’t produce a day-by-day account of our trip. Instead it will be random ramblings of a troubled mind. Plus some hints I would share with anyone who is interested. Plus some commentary absolutely NO ONE should read, let alone take seriously. Consider yourself warned.

:upsidedow

This was my nineteenth trip to WDW, but this is my first trip report. I cannot promise to be as clever as some, or as entertaining as others, but I can promise my spelling will be meticulous.

I don't think I can come up with links to each installment. I am just not that capable. Holy Toledo, I’m somewhat surprised when I know how to ctrl-alt-del properly!

As for my title, we live in a very small town in rural Ohio. How much more provincial can you get? While we love it here, and wouldn’t raise our children anywhere else, we do sometimes yearn for a change of scenery.

Specifically, ::MickeyMo mouse-themed scenery.

:tinker:

It was so out of character for my parents to do something that crazy. To go on a two-week vacation somewhere they had never been? Both had grown up pretty sheltered, and were (and still) very naïve.

But a friend had been there, and told them all about it. And for some reason they decided to go camping at Fort Wilderness for two weeks in the winter of 1977.

That was the beginning. They have been a total of almost 50 times.

Each year we went about the same time, and other families apparently did, too, so we would run into the same kids each year. Remember, there was just the campground, the Contemporary (me to my Mom: “Someday I’m gonna stay there, Mom, even if it really does cost $100 a night!”), and the Poly. So there were fewer people staying on-site, and it was easy to make friends.

I was nine years old, and my parents let me run around not just the campground but the entire resort alone. Can you imagine?!?!

We went to the Magic Kingdom, and shopped at the Village (now Downtown Disney), and swam at River Country. We saved our Christmas money to rent a boat on Seven Seas Lagoon. We saw the Hoop-De-Doo-Revue and the luau.

We began going with friends, and would sometimes have four or five campsites in a row. My grandparents went with us, and I remember riding Small World over and over with my grumpy, crotchety, cantankerous Papa. He smiled the whole way.

Then I grew up and got married. DH had never been, and didn’t understand the appeal. But when DD13 was 2½ years old, we needed a vacation. Badly. Where else could you go with a small child (I reasoned to him)? :rolleyes1 Well, we might as well go to Disney World, of course. And he was hooked from day one. Sucker!

As a kid my parents took me every March break to camp at Fort Wilderness too! We always went with an other family or two. I have great memories of getting off the boat to the MK and going for a swim right at the beach there before heading to our campsite. We loved the outdoor movies and the tetherball courts they had.

Followed you over from Great Biscuit's TR.

I miss the old days! We never stayed at FW, but we did stay at the Poly and the Golf Resort. Remember that place?

As a kid my parents took me every March break to camp at Fort Wilderness too! We always went with an other family or two. I have great memories of getting off the boat to the MK and going for a swim right at the beach there before heading to our campsite. We loved the outdoor movies and the tetherball courts they had.

:welcome:

Thanks for posting -- I feel much less pathetic this morning!

My parents often still camp when we go, and my girls love the campfire and movie. We forgot our s'mores supplies once, but no worries -- someone is always offering to share.

Aren't you amazed we didn't get some horrible bacterial infection from swimming in that lake? Maybe I did, and it explains why I am the way I am today: :dance3:.

Followed you over from Great Biscuit's TR.

I miss the old days! We never stayed at FW, but we did stay at the Poly and the Golf Resort. Remember that place?

Thank you for coming over!

Isn't the golf resort where Shades of Green is now? Or was it over by the shopping center (Disney Village/Downtown Disney)?

We only went once as kids, but it was to Fort Wilderness and it was in 1977! And yes we loved swimming at the beach almost as much as the MK. Almost.

We only went once as kids, but it was to Fort Wilderness and it was in 1977! And yes we loved swimming at the beach almost as much as the MK. Almost.

Maybe they don't swim in the lake now because of alligators (not bacteria) but we never saw any of those, either!

We wanted swim no matter what, and it was pretty chilly sometimes. And the water itself was COLD. Even at River Country, if I remember right.

As I had told my mother, when I grew up I just had to stay at the Contemporary. It was beautiful. It was cool. It was contemporary (at least it was back then). What’s not to love? :lovestruc

And how I loved it! Back then we pool-hopped over there every chance we got (no flames – it was 30 years ago, so the statute of limitations has run out). We went to the arcade, and ate at the restaurants. We rode the monorail around and around just to go THROUGH the building. No, really, the monorail actually went through the building! It was crazy!

So get this: when DH and I decided to go, I called and made a reservation for a week. I paid rack rate. :sad2: I booked airfare out of Toledo all by myself, and didn’t know any better.

And I called my parents naïve? What a dork I was.

Not only had I not yet found the DIS, I didn’t even know about the other resorts (Moderates? Values? Huh?). I just knew I wanted to stay at the Contemporary, so we did.

Then, three years later I did it again. My husband had a conference in Orlando, so we took DD13 (then 5) and DD9 (then 6 months). I called Disney and paid rack rate at the Contemporary. We had a “garden view” room in the north wing, but I asked the guy at the desk for something special, and did he deliver! When we opened our drapes, we looked right over at Cinderella’s castle. :cloud9: I cried. DDthen5 fell asleep each night with the drapes open, looking at the lights of the Magic Kingdom. That’s good stuff, right there.

So finally my Mom mentions something called a Value resort. What is this Va-lue thing of which you speak? Maybe I should look into this. I get on the internet, and search for “Disney” and “value.” And I find the DIS. Cue light shining down from above, choirs singing the Alleluia Chorus, and doves dropping rose petals on my head. Ooh, isn’t this amazing!

Let me add this disclaimer: I am not usually that clueless, ignorant (blissfully or otherwise), oblivious, or unaware. On those two trips I did realize the number of resorts had grown somewhat since the 1970’s. I was just so happy to be there, with DH and our little princesses, at the Contemporary, that I paid very little attention to anything else. That’s what is so weird – it’s like (despite all my trips as a child) I was a newbie, until the DIS-lights came on. :idea:

And so I began to learn. :surfweb: It’s about the true meaning of the word value. It’s about discounts. It’s about codes. It’s about PINs. It’s about time!

And was I entertained! I discovered trip reports to read. If I found a good TR, I’d search for other TR’s from that person. Can I tell you how awesome it was to discover and read, almost start to finish, the Battle for My Wallet series?

Now I love the DIS. I love, love, love it. I like the people, the community, the appreciation as wonderful as Disney. Really, what else could we share with our children that is almost completely impervious to corruption? There are no false idols here. No athletic heroes whose imperfections only add to their personas. No movie actors who decide to preach their political opinions to us, like they are in some way qualified to do so. No, with Disney, what you see is what you get – it all started with a mouse and in many ways is still that simple.

O.K., off my soapbox now – just one last shout out to the people of the DIS who helped me rediscover Disney – THANK YOU!

:moped:

In memory of ZZUB. I loved his reports too.

I came to the disboards through the unofficial guide book.

Since we are confessing here. I too paid rack rate for our disneymoon (I didn't know any better then either). I do now.

:moped:

In memory of ZZUB. I loved his reports too.

I came to the disboards through the unofficial guide book.

Since we are confessing here. I too paid rack rate for our disneymoon (I didn't know any better then either). I do now.

I wish I could say I aspire to write like ZZUB, but then we would all be let down!

As I had told my mother, when I grew up I just had to stay at the Contemporary. It was beautiful. It was cool. It was contemporary (at least it was back then). What’s not to love? :lovestruc

And how I loved it! Back then we pool-hopped over there every chance we got (no flames – it was 30 years ago, so the statute of limitations has run out). We went to the arcade, and ate at the restaurants. We rode the monorail around and around just to go THROUGH the building. No, really, the monorail actually went through the building! It was crazy!

I too have a crazy fascination with the Contemporary and it's completely because of nostalgic reasons. I remember being fascinated with the resort that had a monorail riding right through it when I was a little girl and swore that one day I would stay there. I came back to Disney with three other girls on our senior trip and none of them were impressed at all. But I still love the CR.

As far as your pool hopping...I have done far worse and threw it in my trip reports. I haven't been flamed yet, so I wouldn't worry much. ;)

Oh, and I discovered the DIS because of my sister. We were both getting reacquainted with our Disney love at that time.

I too have a crazy fascination with the Contemporary and it's completely because of nostalgic reasons. I remember being fascinated with the resort that had a monorail riding right through it when I was a little girl and swore that one day I would stay there. I came back to Disney with three other girls on our senior trip and none of them were impressed at all. But I still love the CR.

So did you stay there on that trip?

To follow tradition (and make this look more like a real TR), here is my cast of characters.

:maleficen Me (“Look there she goes, that girl is so peculiar…”): mother, professional woman, and villain. At the Magic of Disney Animation, you can take a test to see which Disney character you are most like – I am Maleficent. And I like it that way. I am the bad cop in our little good cop / bad cop routine at home, and most of the time at work, too. I am a stickler for details, insist on following routines, and am a clean freak (read: germophobe). Good thing I am also so gosh-darned cute (not really, but I wanted to soften up my bio just a little).

:sulley: DH (“Just watch I’m going to make Belle my wife…”): best dad in the world, businessman and farmer. He is a good old country boy, and could support our family with what he grows and/or hunts. He is the good cop (meaning he is complete and total push-over for his three baby girls, and would move mountains to make them happy). He also enjoys volunteering, and is a natural-born leader; everyone's go-to-guy. He will end running for public office someday (no one will leak the contents of this TR to the press, will they?). My Beauty and the Beast quote for him is, paraphrasing, what he told his friends about me the day we met.

We are both 42 (good heavens, how did that happen?). We met in college when, I swear it is the truth, his fraternity was “conducting” a panty raid at my sorority house. Seriously. I was a born-and-raised city girl, and my parents still don’t believe I married a farmer (disbelief in a good way).

::MinnieMo DD13 (“With a dreamy far off look, and her nose stuck in a book…”): This child is smart, sweet, nurturing, polite, and just a good girl. She excels in school and loves 4-H (cough, cough, Ohio State Fair Grand Champion Hereford Steer, cough, cough). And is a very, very patient big sister – much more patient that I would be. Her favorite princess is Aurora.

:tink: DD9 (“Look there she goes, a girl who’s strange but special…”): This one is spunky and outgoing. Also very smart and a born leader like her Dad, we must make her use her powers for good and not evil. She starts showing in 4-H this year, so watch out – that 1200 pound steer doesn’t stand a chance against her. Her favorite princess is Cinderella.

:stitch2: DD4 (“Right from the moment when I met her, saw her, I said she’s gorgeous and I fell…”): We call her “Boo” because she surprised us. We tried a long, long time to have DD13, and then again to have DD9. So when I got pregnant with Boo we were beyond shocked. Even my doctor asked if I was kidding. For my fellow Steelers fans – she is our one for the thumb. She is ridiculously ornery and spoiled (she has all the rest of us at her beck and call) but loves her big sissies beyond belief. Her favorite princess is Ariel.

In case you hadn’t guessed, these girls are the loves of my life.

We usually go to WDW with my parents and sister, introduced below. I’m out of Belle quotes, so if you would please, just open another browser, bring up a You Tube clip of that song, and let it play in the background as you read the following. It’ll be worth it, I promise. Go ahead, I’ll wait. :rolleyes1

What? No? O.K. But we both know I’ve planted the song in your head for rest of the day. See? Maleficent.

pooh: DM: also known as Nana. She has five granddaughters (you’ll meet the rest soon) and loves them beyond anything. She is retired and likes to shop and have lunch with her friends. These hens (oops, I mean women) have known each other since forever, and still haven’t run out of things to talk about. And talk and talk and talk about. My mother drives me CRAZY, and is one of my best friends.

:moped:(NOZZUB) DF: also known as Papa. Retired from the automotive industry, and struggles with lots of health issues. We call him Scooter. A few trips ago he was struggling to walk and keep up with us – so DH disappeared and returned a bit later with a scooter (which Papa insisted he did not need, then used the rest of the trip and now owns one).

:music: DS: also known as Aunt T. She is mentally disabled, and lives with my parents. She loves WDW, and finds comfort in the consistency of it. She volunteers at a daycare center (it is her “job”), and the staff there loves her. Having her as part of our family has helped teach my children about compassion and acceptance, and I believe they are blessed to have her as their aunt.

Well, there we are, warts and all. We aren’t perfect, but we’re us. No one gets left behind. And all that stuff.

I'm in! I also have three dd's (and a ds thrown in for good measure!). Totally agree on the shared experiences thing. It is so totally true. I've camped at Ft. Wilderness, swam at River Country, ridden the sky buckets. My dream was also to stay at the Contemporary one day. That happened in 2004, courtesy of my now ex-BIL's military service. Staying at the Contemporary on Shades of Green overflow pricing was awesome! Not the tower, but that was OK with me. Maybe we'll try for Bay Lake Towers one of these years.

Can't wait for the rest!

I'm in! I also have three dd's (and a ds thrown in for good measure!). Totally agree on the shared experiences thing. It is so totally true. I've camped at Ft. Wilderness, swam at River Country, ridden the sky buckets. My dream was also to stay at the Contemporary one day. That happened in 2004, courtesy of my now ex-BIL's military service. Staying at the Contemporary on Shades of Green overflow pricing was awesome! Not the tower, but that was OK with me. Maybe we'll try for Bay Lake Towers one of these years.

Can't wait for the rest!

Thanks for joining in! I forgot all about the sky buckets! I remember the loading area between Fantasy Land and HM (the building that is still there), but I forget where the other loading area was. Do you remember?

Anyway, I am now trying, for the first time, to add a picture to my TR. Not a big deal to most of you, but I've been working on it all day. Unless my boss is reading this, in which case I've been working on it during lunch and Company sanctioned break times only.

Pictures_523.jpg

Wheeee! How do you like me now?

This is the girls (obviously) on our first day. It was hotter than anything, and as we headed for Goofy's Barnstormer it looked like rain. So we ducked into Mickey's house and ended up in line for pictures -- a perfect way to spend a quick Florida afternoon downpour.

Thanks for joining in! I forgot all about the sky buckets! I remember the loading area between Fantasy Land and HM (the building that is still there), but I forget where the other loading area was. Do you remember?

Cute picture!

The other loading area was in Tomorrowland, just to the side of Space Mountain above the bathrooms.

But we both know I’ve planted the song in your head for rest of the day. See? Maleficent.

No kidding! I've had that song stuck in my head since yesterday, thank you very much.

I love the characters so far! And you as Maleficent...awesome. I love a good villain.

ETA: and yes, I did get to stay at the CR with my husband...but it was in the North Wing (back when it still existed), so it only sort of counts. I guess.

That's all we ever stayed in -- first the south wing, then the north wing (NoWestWing).

But from the third floor of the north wing, from the right room, you had a MK view.

It was so awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter