The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

Good morning all,

PIO ~ Don't feel bad at all, for one thing your son is older and he does interact with you. I feel sorry for the children that are sat with a tablet so the parents can ignore them or they are there and the parents are on their phones ignoring the children. I just feel we are ALL just WAY to connected. There is a time and place for them of course, but not at the expense of family time and interaction.

Alison ~ Safe travels today and enjoy your down time.

Kim ~ Thanks for the hint, I thought that was what you did but I had to ask. I love your meatball recipe!! I make them often.

Brandi ~ I love to can, beans, tomatoes (stewed, salsa and juice), meat, pickles - all sorts, but my favorite right now is watermelon, pickles, and of course apple sauce, butter and pie filling. I usually just water bath except the meat has to be pressured.

Beautiful almost perfect day in my little piece of the country today. Highs are to be around 80, no wind and beautiful blue sky. These kind of days don't happen here very often.

Today is the first day of school here. Ethan is starting the 5th grade. WOW, I can't believe that this is his last year in elementary school. Good grief next year Lilly and Liam will be in preschool. Goodness how time flies, I sometimes wish it would slow down.

WFDT ~ Grilled bacon cheese burgers, sliced tomatoes with cucumber salad and corn on the cob.

Make it a great day.

Happy afternoon,

Kim ~ I totally agree :thumbsup2 It is so easy for Doug and I to just get home from work and go grab something out. We are really trying to eat at home and healthier. The meatballs can be make and frozen. We eat them with spaghetti, as a sub or sometimes I throw a batch in the cr***pot and serve them over rice. We love them!!

:goodvibes to everyone else. I hope you all are enjoying the beautiful weather.

I have a workout after work then I am going to the Chiropractor. My hip has been bothering me since I ran my last 5k so I think it is time to see what is going on. Hopefully he can help me.

Last night I got an excited call from Ethan. He is now in the 5th grade and they get to play an instrument. He wanted to know if he could play Matthew's trumpet. Of course he can, so after dinner last night we took it over. OH.MY GOODNESS he was so excited. They were to experiment today with all of the instruments so I hope he was approved to play the trumpet. I have to go pick him up soon, so I can't wait to hear all about it.

WFDT ~ Chicken salad wrap, tomatoes and cucumbers (I just can't get enough of these right now), Doug will eat at the Country Club.

Make it a great day!!

Today's been a crazy busy day and there was no way I was cooking. We leave for vacation tomorrow morning, so it was take-out for us. Pizza for the boys and hubby wanted Burger King. :confused3 I just got some onion rings.

Ellen, I want to know what you typed in crockpot to get it censored!

I'll tell you we are enjoying our culture shock in this Midwestern Road trip. I can't believe how many restaurants are "bars" and they just sort of make an invisible railing where families can go and bar folks can go. I can see why it might be difficult for folks to go out with kids. We haven't seen anything bad at any of the bars we've been at, but it's so weird to us.

In California you have bars, you have restaurants, you have restaurants that have bars, but they aren't linked when they are the same place, the bar is a separate space from the restaurant and kids don't have to wait in the bar. Nor do they have to see it.

Ok off my realization box. Tonight we went to a bar that called itself a steakhouse. The steaks were pretty good, well cooked and we had a nice dinner. I think it was cost effective. Fran never tells me how much things cost, but I couldn't have been much over $75 for a steak dinner considering the prices. If we went to a "real" steakhouse I don't want to tell you how much the Steak alone costs!

I hope that you all are enjoying your evenings. Here it is only 70 as a high and they're saying it might be 45 tonight for a low. :eek: that's as low as it ever gets in So Cal and I didn't bring anything for cold weather so I'm not going outside tonight. In fact after this I'm going to crawl in bed and start to go to bed!

Good night all!

Evening everyone.

Long day and long week. DH's uncle passed away this week and we had a funeral to attend yesterday. His uncle had been ill for a long time and been a palliative care for the last 3 weeks. Not unexpected but still sad.

I'm so looking forward to the weekend.

WFDT? We had sushi for dinner.

Happy happy Friday!!

Alison ~ I really have no idea, unless I forgot the r. :rotfl2: Oh well at least we know the sensors work.
It must be a Midwest thing cuz that is the way a lot of the bars/restaurants here are also. Most always have a bar in them. I guess we just drink more, but I do agree it is hard with a family. But I always say I don't mind going to a restaurant that serves alcohol but had/have to think twice with my kids (now grands) to take them to a bar that serves food. KWIM??

PIO ~ So sorry about DH's Uncle. I don't care if you are expecting it and even hoping for it once it happens you are NEVER prepared. My Daddy died a slow agonizing death, I prayed that the Lord would take him and end his misery. But the day I got the call my world was totally upset. Prayers are with you all.

maslex ~ Safe travels. Where are you going? You are like me, before any vacation I totally lose any appetite. I can't sleep either. Have a great time!!

I feel like I either have the worst hangover (I didn't drink a thing) or I have been hit by a Mac truck. I had a serious workout last night, then went for my Chiropractic appointment and he worked me over good. I don't know which I am feeling this morning, but I am a hurting unit. Even walking is hard, but somehow in a good way KWIM?

We have plans to go out to dinner with friends tonight. I am really hoping for a good steak and a nice glass of wine. We shall see!! I know the conversation will be lively and the company wonderful. Just what I need!!

We are planning on putting in the new windows tomorrow. I am so excited! It is coming, slower (much slower) than I would like but it is progressing.

WFDT ~ Out - nuff said

Make it a great day and an awesome weekend.

Ellen - I hope you're feeling better now. It might be in a good way, but that does not sound like fun to be feeling that way.

Alison - We have pubs here that do a similar concept but they totally separate the two areas. There is a separate section in the pub for the 'bar' and a separate area for the dinning. The dining section usually also has a section for the adults to get alcoholic drinks. You would take kids into the dining section....a lot of the pubs are attracting the families in with a kids play area.....but you wouldn't take the kids into the bar. In fact, I think it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to be in the bar section. Over here, the two areas are usually physically separated; rather than an invisible railing. They are physical separate rooms.

Maslex - enjoy your vacation. I'd love to know where you are going as well.

Kimmar - Your dinners sound great.

We went to the Victoria Market this morning and I bought two marrow bones. I'm making marrow bone stock right now. DH has decided that he needs to include a little meat broth into his diet. Seems like the latest conventional diet wisdom is that you need some meat product in your diet. :rolleyes1
I haven't decided what's for dinner yet....but I did buy some chicken thigh fillets. I might make a chicken stew for DS and myself; and see if DH can be convinced to eat the vegetables in the stew without the chicken. If nothing else, there will be marrow bone soup available. After the stock is ready, I'll put some diced vegetables into it and see if DH is happy with that for dinner.

Have a great day all.

WFDT? Grilled steak, hot dogs, chicken, zucchini.....A veritable grilled smorgasbord....

Good morning all,

PIO ~ Don't feel bad at all, for one thing your son is older and he does interact with you. I feel sorry for the children that are sat with a tablet so the parents can ignore them or they are there and the parents are on their phones ignoring the children. I just feel we are ALL just WAY to connected. There is a time and place for them of course, but not at the expense of family time and interaction.

Alison ~ Safe travels today and enjoy your down time.

Kim ~ Thanks for the hint, I thought that was what you did but I had to ask. I love your meatball recipe!! I make them often.

Brandi ~ I love to can, beans, tomatoes (stewed, salsa and juice), meat, pickles - all sorts, but my favorite right now is watermelon, pickles, and of course apple sauce, butter and pie filling. I usually just water bath except the meat has to be pressured.

Beautiful almost perfect day in my little piece of the country today. Highs are to be around 80, no wind and beautiful blue sky. These kind of days don't happen here very often.

Today is the first day of school here. Ethan is starting the 5th grade. WOW, I can't believe that this is his last year in elementary school. Good grief next year Lilly and Liam will be in preschool. Goodness how time flies, I sometimes wish it would slow down.

WFDT ~ Grilled bacon cheese burgers, sliced tomatoes with cucumber salad and corn on the cob.

Make it a great day.

Ellen, we put up 121 pounds of tomatoes, I am done... maybe...

But I still have green beans and pickles to do.

Then apples....

My nails were orange from all the tomatoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter