The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

PIO- I am glad it's Friday as well. What a long two weeks!!!

Meals have been a bit sporatic in the G Household. Buddy is working almost every night at the farm so we need to be sure dinner is both quick and easy to get ready.

Our planned strip loin roast front eh weekend ended up Monday night dinner, served along with mixed veg, roasted mushrooms and some potato salad that I brought home from Donny's gathering.

Tuesday I had dinner at the college I had attended. I sit on the accounting and business advisory board and it was our yearly meeting. Buddy had leftovers.

Wednesday was BLT's and chips. YUM!!!

Last night was a chicken thigh, string bean and roasted bliss potato one pan meal. It was good! There is a facebook recipe going around that includes Italian dressing mix and butter. I used a yellow and green string bean and carrot medley, red bliss potatoes, and onion soup mix. Delicious!

That sounds really good. It might work for me without the chicken and replace butter with Earth Balance!

Happy hump day all,

I am so excited for this long holiday weekend. We had plans with Matthew and Katlin, but her parents have decided to stay with them after a wedding in Kansas on Saturday. To say I was disappointed is an understatement, but I was the good Mother (in law) and kept my mouth shut. So it will be just Doug and I as both girls have plans also. Hopefully we can get some golf in and just relax. We really need it!! Tonight we are sitting down with our work calendars and deciding on some vacation time. I have 5 weeks and Doug has 10, and we haven't taken one day so far. I can really feel that we need some time away.

PIO ~ DH's red beans and rice sound very good. I think I could do that and I know Doug would love it.

Brandi ~ I would love to be your DD. Oh the fun we could have!!!

WFDT ~ Tenderloins, baked beans and a wedge salad.

Make it a great day!

Hi ladies,
I have been slammed this last week. There is a huge (well it's all relative) celebration on Friday night. My parents are coming to town tomorrow and carpet cleaners are coming today. I have spent the last four days cleaning up the house or moving out of the old house. We still have boxes everywhere on the carpets they are going to clean.

I haven't made dinner at home since Friday night. My stove is clean and I'm keeping it that way until my parents arrive.

Fran wants to go to the park after the carpet cleaners to get some Limited edition merchandise. We have tons of work to do. Not sure how I feel about that.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

Hi ladies,
I have been slammed this last week. There is a huge (well it's all relative) celebration on Friday night. My parents are coming to town tomorrow and carpet cleaners are coming today. I have spent the last four days cleaning up the house or moving out of the old house. We still have boxes everywhere on the carpets they are going to clean.

I haven't made dinner at home since Friday night. My stove is clean and I'm keeping it that way until my parents arrive.

Fran wants to go to the park after the carpet cleaners to get some Limited edition merchandise. We have tons of work to do. Not sure how I feel about that.

Hope everyone is having a good week!
Alison you are always busy! I dont know how you do it. :)

Have fun at the park!

Alison you are always busy! I dont know how you do it. :)

Have fun at the park!

I'm not sure how I do it either. We didn't go to the park thank goodness! By the time the carpet cleaning guys left we were pooped! We went out for dinner at 3PM and came back to sleep in Olga’s room. Our bed was still covered in stuff from the floor of our bedroom and the carpet was still wet.

It's been every day since Friday that we have been moving boxes and stuff. Monday Jenny and her husband helped and I was completely worn out by 5PM. Today I was done at 3PM. We woke up around 8 and took in a few things from outside and the rest will be dealt with tomorrow. I'm going to feed the cats and get in the jacuzzi!

I honestly don't know how you two do everything you do.
Hope you all have a good weekend and please remember all those men and women that died giving service for this country!

....what a waste...:badpc: I bought potatoes that just won't cook! Supposedly, they are microwaveable, and SUPERsupposedly they only take 5 minutes, but I've tried microwaving them THREE TIMES already.....no one likes crunchy potatoes....unless, of course, they are POTATO CHIPS! Such a waste of money....and now I have to return to the store to buy more potatoes....this time, I'm boiling them.....SHEESH!

Good thing I decided to make my potato salad [for tomorrow's family BBQ] a day early.....

What a busy weekend!

I ended up heading out of town for a couple of nights. We had booked this weekend away with some other photographers and as I was the 'host', I had to go. Sadly, DH had to stay home. My siamese cat has been rather sick for the last 3 weeks and after 3 vet visits, they finally took him in for blood work. Turns out he was suffering from an inflamed pancreas and they got it just in time. He was coming home on Saturday and one of us needed to be here to pick him up and keep him company.

The cause? We've been feeding our cats a raw meat diet. We make it up ourselves and have been doing so ever since we got the Bengal cat. The mix we make up is one that the Bengal breeders world wide swear by. What is good for the Bengal is not good for the Siamese. He needs more vegetables in his diet. So, we will need to feed the Bengal 100% meat and the Siamese will need a 70% meat and 30% vegetable mix. I felt so bad when I found out.

And if I could have stayed home, I would have. :(

WFD?

Tonight, we had Peking Duck for dinner. We have a company called Luv-a-Duck that makes the pancakes, sauce and roast duck. We just need to cook the duck in the oven for 20 mins (or in the micro for less time), prepare some cucumber and/or lettuce and make our own duck pancakes. It's a great last-minute dinner to have.

Tomorrow....DH will organise dinner. I expect we will have baked potatoes with all the fixin's.

Wednesday will be dinner at Mums.

Thursday will probably be Japanese Ramen noodles.

And then the weekend will be here again.

Hope everyone is well.

PIO- I am so sorry that your little kitty is sick. I know you feel badly, but you did nto know, and have corrected the diet. I dont blame you fro wanting to stay home though. I woudl as well. Your DH will take good care of the little kitty til you get home and can start pampering her.

Kimmar- Holy Smokes! That is one gorgeous makeover!!

I am meeting my niece today with my sister in law. Her wedding is in 6 weeks, and their Jack and Jill in three, and they are way behind. I feel so badly, she has been overwhelmed with my sister's illness, and now is planning on her own. I am not creative, but will do what I can.

Yesterday we had a cook out at Welby's. Good picnic food and plenty of fun. The kids got in the pool!!!!!! YIKES! It was cold yesterday and is cold today.

DInner is spaghetti and the sauce I made last month. It is thawing out. I'll fix a salad and some Italian bread to go with it, and have a peach and blueberry dump cake ready to put in the oven when I get home. Buddy has on the heat, it is so raw today!

Have a Good day!

Nancy - I'm sure your nice will appreciate your help. Here's hoping it all goes well for them.
Your dinner and family time sounds like a lot of fun!

It's cold here. Winter suddenly switched on in full swing. My cats have taken to sitting right on the ducted heating vents. The Siamese was looking much better but he's awfully thin. But at least he has come home hungry! That's much better than worrying about whether he will eat his food or not.
The Bengal has decided to seek body warmth. She sits on the vents until I settle down. Once I'm settle, she comes and sits with me. For a Bengal, that's extremely rare! I am so delighted to have a lap cat. I'm just going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Work is crazy! There is an impossible deadline to meet for 2 weeks. I'm doing the best I can but there is no way I'm going to get everything done in 2 weeks. So, rather than stress about it, I'm just going with the flow. But I did work late till 7 pm today. I don't want that to be the pattern of behaviour for the next 2 weeks!

Have a great day all.

Nancy - I'm sure your nice will appreciate your help. Here's hoping it all goes well for them.
Your dinner and family time sounds like a lot of fun!

It's cold here. Winter suddenly switched on in full swing. My cats have taken to sitting right on the ducted heating vents. The Siamese was looking much better but he's awfully thin. But at least he has come home hungry! That's much better than worrying about whether he will eat his food or not.
The Bengal has decided to seek body warmth. She sits on the vents until I settle down. Once I'm settle, she comes and sits with me. For a Bengal, that's extremely rare! I am so delighted to have a lap cat. I'm just going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Work is crazy! There is an impossible deadline to meet for 2 weeks. I'm doing the best I can but there is no way I'm going to get everything done in 2 weeks. So, rather than stress about it, I'm just going with the flow. But I did work late till 7 pm today. I don't want that to be the pattern of behaviour for the next 2 weeks!

Have a great day all.

Thanks PIO. The afternoon went well. Honestly, their wedding is going to be fun, but holy detail! Tim works for a rail company, ( I keep thinking Amtrak, but am not sure) so the wedding itself is "travel" themed. They volunteer at the Trolley museum, which I am embarrassed to say I have never visited even though it is right in the next town. WE will be taken to the wedding site by groomsmen driving the trolleys.

The wedding is at a museum, which will have all exhibits open to guests, but this is where my creative sisters come in. THey need to make travel themed centerpieces. Christine and Tim have already made luggage tags with some pretty awesome "charms" from 19 different countries as place markers for each guest. For instance, the Poland table all have polish pottery coffee cups, the size of Christmas ornaments.

I am glad your kitty is better every day.

Well dinner last night was pretty awful. I had sauce in the freezer and nanatized it. Between that horrific pasta, and the slow death of the dinosaur of a TV... I think I am cooking burgers tonight.

hi everyone, life here for us has been crazy these last couple of weeks.

Yesterday we placed flags at Arlington National Cemetery, it was such an emotional day I was spent when we finally got home. 9 hours at the cemetery and 30 degrees in temperature change, and a sunburn. I made bacon cheese burgers when I got home and drank a few beers! Then I feel asleep on the couch by 8:30pm. lol.

Tonight for dinner is brisket for David and Broccoli, peppers and cucumber for us.

Make it a great day everyone!

Today was our last day of school and to celebrate we let dd pick what she wanted so we had McDonalds lol.

I meant to say YAY!!!! for the last day of school!!!

hi everyone, life here for us has been crazy these last couple of weeks.

Yesterday we placed flags at Arlington National Cemetery, it was such an emotional day I was spent when we finally got home. 9 hours at the cemetery and 30 degrees in temperature change, and a sunburn. I made bacon cheese burgers when I got home and drank a few beers! Then I feel asleep on the couch by 8:30pm. lol.

Tonight for dinner is brisket for David and Broccoli, peppers and cucumber for us.

Make it a great day everyone!

Arlington. What an awe inspiring place, filled with heroes who have paved the way for our safety and well being.

Arlington. What an awe inspiring place, filled with heroes who have paved the way for our safety and well being.

Yes it is. Amazing really.
David has 6 family members there and we have a funeral next month there for his aunt. So we will be back pretty soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter