The Walt Disney Family Museum

Thank you all so much for the info here ~ we are planning on visiting California in 3 years time for our silver wedding anniversary and this is going to be a must-do! :goodvibes

Our visit to the museum was part of our silver anniversary celebration. Congratulations in advance to you!

Just thought I'd bump this for the summer just in case people are curious :)

I went earlier this month with friends and we had a wonderful time. We got there at 12:30 and left around 6 and did not see everything. I too loved seeing the Lilly Belle and many other personal items. What hit me the most emotionally was reading his hand written letters. I thought I new a lot about Uncle Walt but boy was I wrong. He led a facinating life of perserverance and determination. I left feeling very inspired and can not wait to go back hopefully later this summer since my DD (15) who soaks up everything Walt couldn't make it that day :sad1:

Aw man. I was so hoping to get a visit in tomorrow with my dad, but it looks like we have to put it off yet again. Just a touch sad over here.

We went earlier this month and it was incredible. We got to the museum at 10 and were there for 5.5 hours and could have easily been there another 2 hours if we had had the time. I really enjoyed the entire thing but especially enjoyed talking to other people and the CM's at the museum. I felt a little funny that I was standing there crying at the part about his death until I realized that I was not alone. What an amazing person Walt was! That museum only confirms my extreme love of all that is Disney!!!

I live less then 30 minutes away from there and haven't been yet. Maybe I'll go there this week before I head back to work on Thursday.

We are going to go in early August this year.
I do not understand the tickets and that some people are saying "they got tickets for 12:00".
I thought you just walked up but it seems this is not the case.
If someone can explain how I go about purchasing I would appreciate it.
Thanks

We are going to go in early August this year.
I do not understand the tickets and that some people are saying "they got tickets for 12:00".
I thought you just walked up but it seems this is not the case.
If someone can explain how I go about purchasing I would appreciate it.
Thanks

You can walk up to the desk an purchase tickets, but if you want a guaranteed time, purchase online.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

It's just a method of crowd control, to control the flow of traffic.:dance3: Weekends are probably busier than the weekdays. Look at the beginning of the thread, I posted some pictures and links to help people out, JIC here it is again:

www.waltdisney.org
:goodvibes good luck :goodvibes

good

If you walk up you may not be able to get in at all. It's the same price whether you do it online or there. You can even book it the same morning that you want to go if it's available. Since I never know what I'm doing I can never preplan but I do still want to go, maybe on Monday. :)

I volunteer at the museum, and I'd say the best time to go is early. Get a 10 a.m. ticket so you'll have time to unhurriedly see all the exhibits and the monthly movie, if you want. During the weekend, there tends to be an after-lunch rush that lasts until 3 p.m. or so. (Museum is closed Tuesdays.)

I volunteer at the museum, and I'd say the best time to go is early. Get a 10 a.m. ticket so you'll have time to unhurriedly see all the exhibits and the monthly movie, if you want. During the weekend, there tends to be an after-lunch rush that lasts until 3 p.m. or so. (Museum is closed Tuesdays.)

You volunteer at the museum!! Lucky you.

Can you let us know if the cafe selection has improved any? When we went, there was just 1 sandwich, 1 soup, or the 1 salad... and no Kid food! It was very good, just no selection.

Thanks.

Can you let us know if the cafe selection has improved any? When we went, there was just 1 sandwich, 1 soup, or the 1 salad... and no Kid food! It was very good, just no selection.

Thanks.

When I was there Sunday, the cafe was serving three sandwiches (ham & cheese, roast beef and something else, but I forget), two salads (Chinese chicken is pretty good) and a soup, I think, but don't hold me to it.:) I heard from a couple of employees that the cafe, which had been changing up the menu frequently, has pared the selections down to what I mentioned. Still no kids menu, from what I can tell. I also heard that the bowling alley nearby has pretty good food, and is probably more kid friendly.

Thanks.

It is apparently a very popular position. I offered to volunteer and was told that they are now at capacity. Oh, well, with all of my medical bills I need to focus on getting more money coming in anyway.

If you want kid's food, Lombard Street is close to the Disney Museum. Lombard is lined with motels and diners like the IHOP, pizza places, etc.

When I was at the museum a couple of weeks ago, they had a butcher paper type of menu posted over the old menu with the menu items written on it. It appears they offer 3 or 4 salads and 3 or four sandwiches, a soup, a couple types of fresh lemonade, soft drinks, and limited dessert items. It looks like they are experimenting with the menu.

If you plan to visit the museum, be sure to check out the website for special events. Before the Don Hahn presentation, which was excellent, I went to a free presentation on the multi-plane camera that I found very interesting. The museum staff frequently offers free 15 - 20 minute presentations on various topics or items in the museum. They are now offering special children's presentations.

I totally forgot while making my plans to be at the WDFM next Saturday that it was the 17th - Disneyland's 55th! You think I would have remembered since the whole reason I took that weekend off originally was for a failed trip to Disneyland that I was planning! I wonder if/how that will factor into attendance.

Hello!

The museum is planning a few large events that weekend, so I anticipate attendance will be up. However, they moved the actual presentations to their facility behind the museum, so crowds in the museum may thin out in the afternoon as guests go to the presentation.

Saturday July 17, 2010
Disneyland's Growth, Development and Stature Today.
3:00pm,

As Walt said, "Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the World." Former Disneyland Presidents Jack Lindquist and Matt Ouimet are joined by Senior Vice-President of Creative Development for Disneyland Tony Baxter as they discuss the development of Disneyland, its impact on America, and Walt's legacy.

Sunday July 18, 2010
The Happiest Places on Earth: A Look at Disney Parks Around the Globe.
3:00pm,

Disney Legends Dick Nunis and Marty Sklar along with Craig Russell and Bruce Vaughn from Walt Disney Imagineering explore how Walt Disney's new concept in family entertainment, Disneyland, was a catalyst for parks around the world.

My wife (Disney Enabler) and I will be there. I am hoping a DISer will be interested in my extra ticket for the July 18 event. It's sure to be interesting.

I am confident you will enjoy the museum. Not only is it a moving tribute to an amazing man, there's something special about being with others who appreciate his impact on the world.

Maybe we'll see you there!

Michael

I would take you up on that extra ticket on the 18th if I was planning on going that day. But Saturday is my WDFM day and Sunday I'll be at the AIDS walk, probably wishing I could stop by afterward, but it wont be a possibility :rotfl: Which is a shame because I would really love to attend the July 18th event.

But I will definitely be there on the 17th!

Just doing the bumpity-bump just in case anyone is checking out the museum labor day weekend...:goodvibes

DisneyMuseumOct42009005.jpg

177bffb1.jpg

Whoops! This pic is from DCA...:rotfl:

I meant to put this pic taken from inside the museum...

DisneyMuseumOct42009007.jpg

And this one too...

DisneyMuseumOct42009008.jpg

And don't forget do to a little shopping...:laughing:

DisneyMuseumOct42009009.jpg

It is lovely out there at the Presidio, and I reapplied to volunteer at the Disney Museum after I got an e-mail earlier this month asking whether I was still interested. I don't assume that I am going to make it though because I had to take a drug test on Monday, and I am insulin dependent. I have had several doctors' offices refuse to treat me after learning that I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. I told my interviewer the truth, but I am discouraged about finding any kind of job once I tell people that I am diabetic because I have so often gotten "the look" and then no callback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!