The Walt Disney Family Museum

I spoke to the lady in charge of the adult classes today at work. The finger painting workshops were canceled due to lack of enrollment. It was $155 because it was a series. However, if you are interested in the storytelling class, that is starting on I think Pam said November 14th. It is $45 and includes the cost of admission to the museum

I am sending a private message with the number of the contact person at the Disney Museum. I will do the same for others here if anyone would like for me to do so just to see if maybe it results in enough attendees to get the workshop going again. I am reluctant to put the direct telephone line of someone I don't really know on this web site.

SanFranciscan, thanks for posting the reason for the program's cancellation. How do you like volunteering at the museum?

SanFranciscan, thanks for posting the reason for the program's cancellation. How do you like volunteering at the museum?

So far I am doing fine. I am just trying to respond to the calls to volunteer more hours without being there so often that the staff could start to see me as a threat to their incomes, especially since more new volunteers are still coming in.

For those here interested in museum events, be sure to stop by the reception desk, even if you already have your tickets printed. There are some Christmas events already listed on the schedule, and I suspect that Disney fans are more likely than the general population to like Christmas regardless of our religious origins. Therefore, I am encouraging all who live locally or who plan to be back in San Francisco in the near future to sign the e-mail list for upcoming events.

My mom and sister are going to be visiting SF in a couple weeks are going to the museum on a saturday - is this a mistake, is it going to be packed on a Sat? Also, is the cafe at the museum realistically where we should expect to eat, or are there other options within walking distance? We are going to arrive via transit so I am hoping that the transit center is near the museum. Thanks for all the information!

My mom and sister are going to be visiting SF in a couple weeks are going to the museum on a saturday - is this a mistake, is it going to be packed on a Sat? Also, is the cafe at the museum realistically where we should expect to eat, or are there other options within walking distance? We are going to arrive via transit so I am hoping that the transit center is near the museum. Thanks for all the information!
We didn't eat there, we had breakfast out on Lombard ahead of time. The cafe looked okay and I do not remember seeing anything else on the Presidio property that offered food. The nearest that we saw was back on Lombard and that is a bit of a walk, not huge but a bit.
We went on a Sunday morning in July and it was not crowded at all, we arrived at 10:30 for an 11 a.m. entry and were allowed immediate entry.

We went to the museum on a weekday so I cannot help you there. We did eat at the cafe. We each got something different and took it downstairs to their sitting area (there is also a small one upstairs). We all enjoyed our food very much and thought it was better than having to go elsewhere.

Within walking distance is a place called La Terrasse, where I've eaten with family. It's OK, but doesn't get great reviews, in general. (If you're facing the museum from the parking lot, the restaurant would be at 5 o'clock.) The museum cafe's food is good, but doesn't have the selection that it once did. (It's run by the Wolfgang Puck company.) I like the chili, butternut squash soup and the Chinese chicken salad. If you want standard stuff like hot dogs, hamburgers and nachos, try the bowling alley, which is at 9 o'clock if you're facing the museum.

I've never seen the museum so crowded that it's impossible to navigate. Early is better, though. (It opens at 10 a.m.) Give yourself plenty of time to see everything, especially if you're a big Walt Disney fan. A few people have told me "I've been here for three hours" and they weren't even halfway through! Yikes!

Anyway, if you arrive early and want to take a break for lunch, just make sure your hand is stamped and you can come back into the museum afterward.

Oops, almost forgot. Check if you'd want to catch the museum's monthly movie before you head out. That way, you can arrange your lunch and other plans accordingly.

La Terrasse is the one that I have been told to recommend to people who want more than is served in our Disney Cafe, but some of our guests have told me that it is expensive. I don't know since I have not eaten there. Just past La Terrasse, in the Tides Building, is the Acre Cafe, which is popular with those who prefer organic foods. The only thing that I have eaten there is the carrot bread, but it was pretty good. The food is served counter-style but has tables. Most of the people who eat there appear to be employees of the Presidio.

I went for my second visit last Sunday - got there at 11:10 or so for a 11:30 ticket time -spent the time in the shop - then stayed at the museum until 5. It was not at all crowded this time - maybe up to 6 other people in any room ( first time was the d23 preview - much more rushed due to having 3 not so obsessive friends with me and very crowded). Could have used maybe 15 more minutes but listened to/read almost everything there in that amount of time ( ride showed up a bit too early -- but then that last room is hard to take ).
An absolutely incredible experience for any Disney fan.

I went for my second visit last Sunday - got there at 11:10 or so for a 11:30 ticket time -spent the time in the shop - then stayed at the museum until 5. It was not at all crowded this time - maybe up to 6 other people in any room ( first time was the d23 preview - much more rushed due to having 3 not so obsessive friends with me and very crowded). Could have used maybe 15 more minutes but listened to/read almost everything there in that amount of time ( ride showed up a bit too early -- but then that last room is hard to take ).
An absolutely incredible experience for any Disney fan.

It is hit or miss with the museum, especially now that we are well past the peak of tourist season. I walked in to work last week and there was a buzz of activity there due to the animators and media there for the re-release of Fantansia. Yet it died down quickly enough that I ended up leaving a half hour before I was schedule to do so.

The gallery with the footage about Walt's death is a bit of a bummer. I know because I can picture in my mind that flag being lowered and the people being helped to their cars while overcome with grief as described in the video. Yet the very last room after that is worth a few minutes. Sit on the little seat there in the middle and take in the tribute. It is a nice ending, and guests have told me so. I can tell that the museum designer did try to bring people back up after what for many people is a very "emotional" moment.

I went last weekend and was expecting to be there for a couple of hours. We were there for nearly 4 hours and only left because we were meeting people. What a wonderful place! I can't wait to go back and I'm going to watch a movie next time, too!

Hey there, planning a trip to WDFM this next weekend, wondering if people would eat at the cafe or would they bring a lunch to eat outside the museum? Thanks for any replys!!

Hey there, planning a trip to WDFM this next weekend, wondering if people would eat at the cafe or would they bring a lunch to eat outside the museum? Thanks for any replys!!

Honestly, I would have brought food if I had thought about it more. It wasn't anything special, and for the prices, my opinion is it's probably better to bring something with you if you can.

I'll actually be there again this next upcoming weekend. Looking forward to it!

The cafe was really small and overpriced, though maybe not for a museum cafe. I got two mini cupcakes and they were $1 each (not very good and not worth the money).

Honestly, I would have brought food if I had thought about it more. It wasn't anything special, and for the prices, my opinion is it's probably better to bring something with you if you can.

I'll actually be there again this next upcoming weekend. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for the information. I will plan on a picnic instead!

Hi all,

We're planning a trip in March. I'm wondering how the tickets work. What does the timed entry mean? When I went online to see about ordering tickets, it said the 10am was good for all day. Do we have to be there by 10am? Sorry, clearly I'm missing something here. :)

Hi all,

We're planning a trip in March. I'm wondering how the tickets work. What does the timed entry mean? When I went online to see about ordering tickets, it said the 10am was good for all day. Do we have to be there by 10am? Sorry, clearly I'm missing something here. :)

They time the tickets so that it's not overly crowded at any point during the day. You need to arrive close to your ticket time, but you can stay as long as you want. There's so much to read/look out/play with that you wouldn't want to have hordes of people all in there at once.

Does that make sense???

I would plan to spend AT LEAST 4 hours there.

When you purchase your tickets online you'll be given a choice of times to enter the museum. (You get a few minutes' slack on either side of your arrival time. It's 10 or 15 minutes, but I forget.) No matter what your entry time is, your ticket is good until the museum closes at 6 p.m. You also can buy tickets at the door. I volunteer there and I've never heard of someone being turned away at the front desk. (Has anyone else heard otherwise?)

And ter-moo is correct about giving yourself a lot of time to see the exhibits. The museum also shows a different movie every month. In March it's "Mary Poppins" so build in time in your schedule if you'd like to see Mary Poppins in the museum's beautiful theater.

Our tickets had a 15 minute window. The fine prints said that if we failed to arrive within our window we could be denied entry. Now, I don't know if they have ever actually denied anyone entry but keep in mind they could if you are late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!