The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

This might partially answer your question though I look forward to hearing others weigh in. And of course they could change the policy over time:

Post in thread 'New Back Entrance to DCA?':
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-back-entrance-to-dca.3878784/post-64074800
Thanks for posting the video link! I'm excited to try this. Last trip we had a ground floor villa on the Redwood side and we were wondering if there was a walking path through the back to the regular DCA entrance. Is this new PP entrance accessible from a ground floor villa? I'm having a hard time envisioning which part of the DVC villas the new gate is near. I'm assuming the park view villas aka low numbered units?

i just watched a video walkthrough, going backwards from DCA to Paradise Pier and they walk past the BBQ Patio area and I believe you should be able to use your GCH key to get right back into the DVC wing super quick.

Recently completed a stay at one of the Grand Villas (the one facing California Adventure), after last staying there just before the soft goods renovation in around 2017. I have terrible timing. When we last stayed in that room around 2016, I knew the soft goods renovation was coming up and thought the room needed it. Staying again, I felt the room was really in need of updating plus the prior soft goods rehab had some issues and is now fading. Some of the hardwood flooring (perhaps laminate) is coming apart. The furniture is getting worn out, no doubt from the heavy use and the fact up to 12 people can stay in this room. I will have to make a note to go in 2025 to enjoy a freshened experience!

My most major objection to the last rehab was that the stacked washer/dryer has been replaced with a combined washer and dryer—one unit. I’ve only dealt with this type of device once before in a condo rental and found it to be horrible. This one was as well. Hard to operate, takes 3.5 to 4 hours to wash and dry and just didn’t work well. Horrible choice. I stayed a few years ago in a VGC 1BR after the rehab and remember the stackable W/D there so I wonder why the Grand Villa got the dreaded combined machine.

The other thing that is alarming and baffling is that the trees between the VGC building and California Adventure are getting so tall as to block much of the view. This unit still has a nice view but it is in danger. I noticed that there is an area of trees on the left side that have been trimmed down about to the third or fourth floor level but the remainder has not been trimmed.

I also noticed this time a mysterious structure on the sixth floor (southeast corner of the building) that has no obvious access point either from the Grand Villa‘s upper level (fifth floor) or the hallway outside the fifth floor, which seems to end in a closet. In other words, the sixth floor hallway doesn’t extend anywhere far enough to reach this room, and there is also definitely no access from the Grand Villa bedroom on the fifth floor underneath the mystery room. This extra structure/room is about the size of a bedroom, and you can see the roof on Google Maps. Perhaps a mechanical room (most likely and accessed from the roof) or a control room for World of Color, which could explain the tree trimming to preserve the view from that room? The latter is more fun to think about!

Last edited:
I will add that the carpet was pretty drab. I remember the prior carpet having some character/ detail but the current carpet is generic. I vaguely recall the prior carpet being custom and including some subtle hidden Mickeys—much more fun.

Last edited:

...I also noticed this time a mysterious structure on the sixth floor (southeast corner of the building) that has no obvious access point either from the Grand Villa‘s upper level (fifth floor) or the hallway outside the fifth floor...
The raised roof is a design element, to make the corner of the building seems like a separate tower.

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 11.37.25 PM.png

Recently completed a stay at one of the Grand Villas (the one facing California Adventure), after last staying there just before the soft goods renovation in around 2017. I have terrible timing. When we last stayed in that room around 2016, I knew the soft goods renovation was coming up and thought the room needed it. Staying again, I felt the room was really in need of updating plus the prior soft goods rehab had some issues and is now fading. Some of the hardwood flooring (perhaps laminate) is coming apart. The furniture is getting worn out, no doubt from the heavy use and the fact up to 12 people can stay in this room. I will have to make a note to go in 2025 to enjoy a freshened experience!

My most major objection to the last rehab was that the stacked washer/dryer has been replaced with a combined washer and dryer—one unit. I’ve only dealt with this type of device once before in a condo rental and found it to be horrible. This one was as well. Hard to operate, takes 3.5 to 4 hours to wash and dry and just didn’t work well. Horrible choice. I stayed a few years ago in a VGC 1BR after the rehab and remember the stackable W/D there so I wonder why the Grand Villa got the dreaded combined machine.

The other thing that is alarming and baffling is that the trees between the VGC building and California Adventure are getting so tall as to block much of the view. This unit still has a nice view but it is in danger. I noticed that there is an area of trees on the left side that have been trimmed down about to the third or fourth floor level but the remainder has not been trimmed.

I also noticed this time a mysterious structure on the sixth floor (southeast corner of the building) that has no obvious access point either from the Grand Villa‘s upper level (fifth floor) or the hallway outside the fifth floor, which seems to end in a closet. In other words, the sixth floor hallway doesn’t extend anywhere far enough to reach this room, and there is also definitely no access from the Grand Villa bedroom on the fifth floor underneath the mystery room. This extra structure/room is about the size of a bedroom, and you can see the roof on Google Maps. Perhaps a mechanical room (most likely and accessed from the roof) or a control room for World of Color, which could explain the tree trimming to preserve the view from that room? The latter is more fun to think about!
In your experience do the 2BR units hold up better? It was our plans to stay in 1 or 2BR units most trips but we wanted to try and bank/borrow to splurge on the 3BR GV on special trips. If the GV wear faster than the 2BR units then we might just opt for two 2BR units for larger family trips when we are trying to have a reunion or something like that.

Really hopeful that the remodel in 2024 will make this resort awesome.

In your experience do the 2BR units hold up better? It was our plans to stay in 1 or 2BR units most trips but we wanted to try and bank/borrow to splurge on the 3BR GV on special trips. If the GV wear faster than the 2BR units then we might just opt for two 2BR units for larger family trips when we are trying to have a reunion or something like that.

I haven’t stayed there enough to be sure, and never in a 2BR, but I do recall the 1BR I stayed in a few years ago seemed in a very good condition. To be clear, it was fun to stay in the GV because of the size and great view but it just felt a little worn.

Living in San Francisco, I haven’t used the VGC points for VGC stays nearly as much as I expected because of the need to plan ahead. Often when I have the opportunity to visit Disneyland it’s in conjunction with some other trip planned less than 7 months ahead of time.

VGC consists of only 3BR, 2BR dedicated, and 2BR lock-off (which can be split into 1BR/studio).

VGC consists of only 3BR, 2BR dedicated, and 2BR lock-off (which can be split into 1BR/studio).
I would guess that booking a 2BR lock-off requires you to book early as it seems like the studios go quick? It was based on this understanding and my research on availability trends that I treat them like 1BR as default. I guess I’ll know more and learn in time….. if Disney lets my offers pass ROFR :)

I would guess that booking a 2BR lock-off requires you to book early as it seems like the studios go quick? It was based on this understanding and my research on availability trends that I treat them like 1BR as default. I guess I’ll know more and learn in time….. if Disney lets my offers pass ROFR :)

Yes, this is my understanding.

Oh my-- fantastic post/details/review on current conditions. Thank you! Please, keep them coming.

@Nonsuch -- another amazing image! Fun stuff...

I believe one of the 2 GVs is wheelchair accessible. We've stayed in the pool view one and it wasn't HA, so yours must be the accessible one which would explain the single washer/dryer unit, as a stacked one would be unreachable from a wheelchair.

I believe one of the 2 GVs is wheelchair accessible. We've stayed in the pool view one and it wasn't HA, so yours must be the accessible one which would explain the single washer/dryer unit, as a stacked one would be unreachable from a wheelchair.

Oh, that’s a good point. Yes, the GV we stayed in is the handicap accessible one.

As someone who aspires to stay in the park view GV one of these days and also happens to have sold appliances off and on through the years here is what I would recommend looking into and a possible fix for the combo washer and driver all in one issue.

The are a few reasons these are bad units. The heating element is 110V and not 220V (sadly most AIO units use low powered heaters). 2) The unit is very small (this hurts drying the most). 3) They typically don't vent out to try and use a condenser to drain the moisture though the normal water drain.

Most washers are in the Mid 3 to 5+ cubic feet in capacity and decent dryers are in the 7+ cubic feet range. The dryer is larger as this open space allows the air to flow through the fabric better and also allows the clothes to fluff up while they dry.

So back to how to fix this issue. Do very very small loads and they might dry in a reasonable time. If we are lucky and this is a premium 4 cubic feet all in one then loads that are only about 2 cubic feet should dry in a somewhat reasonable time. This is also assuming this is a premium model with a moisture sensor (at this price point most are).

Option 2. Only do the wash in the unit. Get a few loads washed, put them in bins, and take them to the community laundry area and hope there are multiple dryers open. The wash should not be what is taking forever, really only the dryer. Assuming the dryers in the community area are normal size and 220v most loads should dry in 20 to 40 min. If this is an option I'd make sure the washer is able to do a solid spin cycle or see if you can select an bonus spin to remove as much moisture as possible. A premium unit should do this as it adds to it's eco friendly rating but just have to check.

I'm not sure if this info about combo units was needed in the VGC chat, but I hope it helps with those who stay in that unit :)

As someone who aspires to stay in the park view GV one of these days and also happens to have sold appliances off and on through the years here is what I would recommend looking into and a possible fix for the combo washer and driver all in one issue.

The are a few reasons these are bad units. The heating element is 110V and not 220V (sadly most AIO units use low powered heaters). 2) The unit is very small (this hurts drying the most). 3) They typically don't vent out to try and use a condenser to drain the moisture though the normal water drain.

Most washers are in the Mid 3 to 5+ cubic feet in capacity and decent dryers are in the 7+ cubic feet range. The dryer is larger as this open space allows the air to flow through the fabric better and also allows the clothes to fluff up while they dry.

So back to how to fix this issue. Do very very small loads and they might dry in a reasonable time. If we are lucky and this is a premium 4 cubic feet all in one then loads that are only about 2 cubic feet should dry in a somewhat reasonable time. This is also assuming this is a premium model with a moisture sensor (at this price point most are).

Option 2. Only do the wash in the unit. Get a few loads washed, put them in bins, and take them to the community laundry area and hope there are multiple dryers open. The wash should not be what is taking forever, really only the dryer. Assuming the dryers in the community area are normal size and 220v most loads should dry in 20 to 40 min. If this is an option I'd make sure the washer is able to do a solid spin cycle or see if you can select an bonus spin to remove as much moisture as possible. A premium unit should do this as it adds to it's eco friendly rating but just have to check.

I'm not sure if this info about combo units was needed in the VGC chat, but I hope it helps with those who stay in that unit :)
Interesting to know. It seemed liked the wash only cycle was pretty long too. I ran two loads, both came out slightly damp, and one time I took the clothes to the community laundry room for drying and the second time I hung everything up overnight.

The controls are also very confusing and no instructions are provided. I looked them up on the internet but still found it impossible to activate the dryer only functionality; following the instructions (from the manufacturer’s video) which would instead start a new wash cycle using hot water. Oy. This is a first world problem to be sure, and the very nice shared laundry room is always available, but this is hardly a good solution for a disabled guest and is bad for other guests as well.

I am relieved to now know this appliance is presumably only in this unit and perhaps other disabled accessible units. Having a washer and dryer in the unit is one of the best features of DVC rooms (other than studios).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter