The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Just survived our first trip through the ROFR monster. I don't think they liked the price I was trying to pay but they ultimately let me pass after a almost 45 day wait :)

Do I have any luck/hope for a quick welcome home trip sometime in March if I get my points in the next 30 days or will I have to push to May? Would likely go for a 2BR or 1BR for a few weekdays if possible.

Looking forward to visiting with my new neighbors poolside while enjoying the Craftsman Grill.
Congrats on passing ROFR!!! I’m really new to this :) I haven’t had my first visit yet (booked for January) but March is wide open right now. As you know, it will be gone closer to the 7 month mark. I’ve seen tons of openings at the 8 month mark (except February not sure why). I hope these images help you get an idea of what it looks like right now.

Attachments

• D47BEFF7-0726-4909-A83E-A88267C2BA6C.jpeg
    D47BEFF7-0726-4909-A83E-A88267C2BA6C.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 534367F6-86AF-485E-8DDA-B1C904FB3C11.jpeg
    534367F6-86AF-485E-8DDA-B1C904FB3C11.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 96DABB43-646C-4ED4-9183-28A3513EA2DA.jpeg
    96DABB43-646C-4ED4-9183-28A3513EA2DA.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 18
Congrats on passing ROFR!!! I’m really new to this :) I haven’t had my first visit yet (booked for January) but March is wide open right now. As you know, it will be gone closer to the 7 month mark. I’ve seen tons of openings at the 8 month mark (except February not sure why). I hope these images help you get an idea of what it looks like right now.
Awesome. Hopefully we will get closed and have some points ready for a three or four night stay in March if the points load in time :).

Just survived our first trip through the ROFR monster. I don't think they liked the price I was trying to pay but they ultimately let me pass after a almost 45 day wait :)

Do I have any luck/hope for a quick welcome home trip sometime in March if I get my points in the next 30 days or will I have to push to May? Would likely go for a 2BR or 1BR for a few weekdays if possible.

Looking forward to visiting with my new neighbors poolside while enjoying the Craftsman Grill.
Cutting it super close! One idea to consider.... rent points from another owner and rent out once you get your's. Not as great as using your own points but at least you'll get the room/dates you want.

Sorry it has been asked before but I can’t find the answers now.
We go in just over 2 weeks so need to get room request in.
My wife likes it quiet. Best rooms to request?
Thanks very much!

Sorry it has been asked before but I can’t find the answers now.
We go in just over 2 weeks so need to get room request in.
My wife likes it quiet. Best rooms to request?
Thanks very much!
Any of the south side units (facing Paradise Pier) will hear World Of Color showings plus any parades that go by. Bonus is when they are testing new features of WoC at 2AM :-0 But it's a balance; the views are pretty awesome.
The northside rooms (facing the pool) and eastside (Redwood Trail) rooms are likely your best bet for nighttime quiet.
@Nonsuch has a great floorplan PDF if you haven't already seen it

Room 4506 Photo Views & Info from our recent trip (last week of June 2022)
This was our 'replacement' trip from a June 2020 reservation :-) . We had a blast and were pleased with most of Disney's precautions.

Changes we noted -
- The new TV interface was a huge improvement. The channel guide was easy and quick to scroll through. It was also incredibly easy to cast from our devices to any of the TVs in the unit. Plus, every time we turned it on it gave us a 'Welcome Home'. We had brought our casting equip with us, but we can leave that at home next time!
- The front gate and the parking lot attendants gave us 'Welcome Homes' as well, which is new to us, and a nice touch. This is our home resort, and in the past we have had 'Welcome Home' fuss at other resorts but always notably absent at VGC, so it was nice! (we came and went with the car several times during our stay, which I guess is unusual - the attendants were super nice; there is only one lane open however - so even if you have a valid room key, you have to wait in a line to exit the lot)
- The bedding has changed. They're not using Sobel any longer, which is fine, but different. Those were the best pillows ever.
- We could see people using the new Paradise Pier entry. We intended to use it, but it never really was useful, so we didn't explore it. As noted elsewhere, there is an employee posted at the entrance to the path & gate to GC. To get into GC, we were asked to swipe our room key even if the employee was holding the gate open for us. We appreciated the extra screening.4506-daytime.jpg

4506-night.jpg
television.jpg

...My wife likes it quiet. Best rooms to request?
The villas facing Redwood Creek will be the most quiet.
5516 studio
5514 1-bedroom
5518 2-bedroom
These 5th floor rooms are very quite: no 6th floor rooms above, few guest use the hallway (upper entrance to Grand Villas), Redwood Creek is closed after dark
I've stayed on 5514 several times.

The villas facing Redwood Creek will be the most quiet.
5516 studio
5514 1-bedroom
5518 2-bedroom
These 5th floor rooms are very quite: no 6th floor rooms above, few guest use the hallway (upper entrance to Grand Villas), Redwood Creek is closed after dark
I've stayed on 5514 several times.
Thanks Nonsuch.

I think you had an exterior map at one stage, and had put links up, but they are not working any more? Your internal maps in your signature have been invaluable with putting in my room requests today. Cheers. Wakey.

Last edited:
Room 4506 Photo Views & Info from our recent trip (last week of June 2022)
This was our 'replacement' trip from a June 2020 reservation :-) . We had a blast and were pleased with most of Disney's precautions.

Changes we noted -
- The new TV interface was a huge improvement. The channel guide was easy and quick to scroll through. It was also incredibly easy to cast from our devices to any of the TVs in the unit. Plus, every time we turned it on it gave us a 'Welcome Home'. We had brought our casting equip with us, but we can leave that at home next time!
- The front gate and the parking lot attendants gave us 'Welcome Homes' as well, which is new to us, and a nice touch. This is our home resort, and in the past we have had 'Welcome Home' fuss at other resorts but always notably absent at VGC, so it was nice! (we came and went with the car several times during our stay, which I guess is unusual - the attendants were super nice; there is only one lane open however - so even if you have a valid room key, you have to wait in a line to exit the lot)
- The bedding has changed. They're not using Sobel any longer, which is fine, but different. Those were the best pillows ever.
- We could see people using the new Paradise Pier entry. We intended to use it, but it never really was useful, so we didn't explore it. As noted elsewhere, there is an employee posted at the entrance to the path & gate to GC. To get into GC, we were asked to swipe our room key even if the employee was holding the gate open for us. We appreciated the extra screening.View attachment 684944

View attachment 684945
View attachment 684946
What was the noise level like from this room PortlandFan? looks to be quite far from the rides? Could you hear the closer rides? Music etc? What time does it go quiet? Thanks.

What was the noise level like from this room PortlandFan? looks to be quite far from the rides? Could you hear the closer rides? Music etc? What time does it go quiet? Thanks.
You can hear Goofy's Coaster ~ mostly people screaming :-) The room is definetely sound-proofed. You don't really notice ambiant park noise if you're awake and active in the room. But you *will* hear WoC and any other amplified noise from parades or events (ex: Grad Night). Once the park closes & WoC ends, it gets quiet - with the exception of occasional noise from after-hours park maintenance.

(Worth noting though, several years ago we were in 5500 and heard a 2AM WoC practice multiple days in a row. You never know what they have going on after hours. For us that's part of the charm so we keep staying in those rooms).

You can hear Goofy's Coaster ~ mostly people screaming :-) The room is definetely sound-proofed. You don't really notice ambiant park noise if you're awake and active in the room. But you *will* hear WoC and any other amplified noise from parades or events (ex: Grad Night). Once the park closes & WoC ends, it gets quiet - with the exception of occasional noise from after-hours park maintenance.

(Worth noting though, several years ago we were in 5500 and heard a 2AM WoC practice multiple days in a row. You never know what they have going on after hours. For us that's part of the charm so we keep staying in those rooms).

I will say that one morning I intended to sleep in until 8:30 or 9, and at 8:00 sharp was awakened by screaming on the various rides. It wasn’t annoying because, hey, who can complain about that being right next to a theme park? I downloaded and activated a white noise app and slept for another half hour.

We just initiated buying our first ever DVC contract and now we are awaiting ROFR. I'm so excited to potentially own at VGC and really hoping that we get through the process. From what I've seen and read on forums and blogs, it doesn't look like Disney has exercised their ROFR on any VGC contracts but if anyone has heard differently, please do let me know! Looking forward to joining this awesome group of owners. :D

Cheers. 5514 is my first choice, moving down those rooms, then some top level pool rooms.
Not many DVC rooms at all.
Looking forward to the trip, coming from the UK, I had it booked twice before and could not come as the borders were not open, so it’s been 2 years in the making this one.
We’ve had the 09 rooms many times because I now request a quiet view. We’ve only lucked into the Redwood Creek view once. That pool is not the main pool in the complex, so it’s still pretty quiet if you end up with an 07.

We just initiated buying our first ever DVC contract and now we are awaiting ROFR. I'm so excited to potentially own at VGC and really hoping that we get through the process. From what I've seen and read on forums and blogs, it doesn't look like Disney has exercised their ROFR on any VGC contracts but if anyone has heard differently, please do let me know! Looking forward to joining this awesome group of owners. :D
I just got through with three contracts with just slightly less per point than you so my gut feeling is you will be fine. Your contract is a bit more loaded with double 2022 points, but I still really doubt they will take it.

I think the logic (if there is such a thing with Disney and ROFR) is that they make about 60 to 80 bucks profit flipping these contracts if they buy them in ROFR. Why would they tie up double the cost per point to buy back VGC to make the 60 to 80 bucks when they can buy double the SSR points and make the same $ on the point. Plus, in the long run I bet there isn’t enough interest for VGC and it’s small, so they don’t have a plan for it as of now. Of course this could change with VDH opening up and getting a lot more people interested in DVC on the west cost. People keep saying that VGC might go down due to VDH, but there is part of me that thinks it will be the exact opposite. Some shoppers might say that DVC sounds great for them but ask their guides for Grand Cal if that’s an option. Might spike the price and if Disney thinks they can make it work they might start going for VGC.

TLDR - I got worried they might ROFR my purchases, many people told me not to worry, and they were right. You likely are going to be fine. Looking forward to saying welcome home neighbor when you pass ROFR :)

I just got through with three contracts with just slightly less per point than you so my gut feeling is you will be fine. Your contract is a bit more loaded with double 2022 points, but I still really doubt they will take it.

I think the logic (if there is such a thing with Disney and ROFR) is that they make about 60 to 80 bucks profit flipping these contracts if they buy them in ROFR. Why would they tie up double the cost per point to buy back VGC to make the 60 to 80 bucks when they can buy double the SSR points and make the same $ on the point. Plus, in the long run I bet there isn’t enough interest for VGC and it’s small, so they don’t have a plan for it as of now. Of course this could change with VDH opening up and getting a lot more people interested in DVC on the west cost. People keep saying that VGC might go down due to VDH, but there is part of me that thinks it will be the exact opposite. Some shoppers might say that DVC sounds great for them but ask their guides for Grand Cal if that’s an option. Might spike the price and if Disney thinks they can make it work they might start going for VGC.

TLDR - I got worried they might ROFR my purchases, many people told me not to worry, and they were right. You likely are going to be fine. Looking forward to saying welcome home neighbor when you pass ROFR :)
Makes a lot of sense in terms of the spread they'd likely want to earn. Also, I think we might see a slight decrease in the short term when VDH comes out and then VGC will continue to climb higher once VDH actually sells out, which I think is likely since people are starved for more West Coast options. I'll let you know how the ROFR process goes! It will be cool having new neighbors. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter