The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of you when I saw this coverage of California Gov. Newsom getting the J&J vaccine today. From the picture and video, the needle doesn't look super sized. I hope that gives you some comfort.

It does, thank you! I am touched you thought of me. 24 hours from now this will be over and done with (appt tomorrow morning), I shall report back.

Oh! That's GREAT news. I'm extremely happy for you, USA! :)

I hope Canada gets sorted out soon:goodvibes I remember being envious of how well it was being handled there compared to my state, Texas. I guess it's like Texas weather, wait a minute, and it will change. However, we still aren't doing great here, but way better than before. Hopefully, with the way health care is handled in Canada, once you get a good supply, the vaccines will be going out at breakneck pace and with great efficiency.

also noteworthy how quickly 100 million Americans have already gotten the first dose of vaccine - this summer is looking like a return to normal

You have to be careful with variants though.

We have just seen cases double within a week over here. Ontario just returned into lockdown. We are most likely returning into lockdown soon.

The science on lockdowns is "no clear benefit", this according to a peer reviewed study published in the European Journal of Clinical Investigation on January 5, 2021.

The study compared cases in England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Netherlands, Spain and the U.S. – all countries that implemented mandatory lockdown orders and business closures – to South Korea and Sweden, which instituted less severe, voluntary responses. The researchers used a mathematical model to compare countries that did and did not enact more restrictive lockdown orders, and determined that there was "no clear, significant beneficial effect of [more restrictive measures] on case growth in any country."

You have to be careful with variants though.

We have just seen cases double within a week over here. Ontario just returned into lockdown. We are most likely returning into lockdown soon.

Well, the UK variant seems to already be about the majority now in the US. The Pfizer and Moderna seem to be very effective against it and the South African variant. No real data on the Brazilian one yet. So, that's at least some positive news. However, there are always freaky variants showing up. One showed up in Houston that they hadn't seen anywhere else. I don't know if it spread though.

Lockdowns were demonstrated to be largely ineffective

I think it depends on how you define "lockdown". Some places have lockdowns where you can't leave a 5 mile radius from your house.

Other places a "lockdown" might be defined as no indoor dining, and no large indoor gatherings.

Both are a "lockdown", but I believe the latter has been proven to mitigate spread, whereas I don't know if the former has.

The science on lockdowns is "no clear benefit", this according to a peer reviewed study published in the European Journal of Clinical Investigation on January 5, 2021.

The study compared cases in England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Netherlands, Spain and the U.S. – all countries that implemented mandatory lockdown orders and business closures – to South Korea and Sweden, which instituted less severe, voluntary responses. The researchers used a mathematical model to compare countries that did and did not enact more restrictive lockdown orders, and determined that there was "no clear, significant beneficial effect of [more restrictive measures] on case growth in any country."
Was Canada part of the study? Because that’s where I live.

I think it depends on how you define "lockdown". Some places have lockdowns where you can't leave a 5 mile radius from your house.

Other places a "lockdown" might be defined as no indoor dining, and no large indoor gatherings.

Both are a "lockdown", but I believe the latter has been proven to mitigate spread, whereas I don't know if the former has.

We’ve had the latter. Restaurants, non-essential shops, theaters (shows/movies), gyms, schools, most workplaces (except essential)... All closed. For offices, mandatory teleworking. No visitors ever. At times, we were not even allowed to walk outside with someone from another home, even when even 2 meters between us.

It does, thank you! I am touched you thought of me. 24 hours from now this will be over and done with (appt tomorrow morning), I shall report back.

Reporting back - I had the J&J shot about 3 hours ago. I did not look at the needle, but definitely felt it more than a flu shot but not awful or anywhere near as bad as the person I saw said it was. So far so good in terms of side effects (not that I would expect anything this soon) and the spot doesn't hurt either. It was done much, much higher on my arm than I am used to so that could also explain why it felt different. At any rate, I am glad it is over with!

Got my first dose of Pfizer yesterday, and I didn't pass out. My original appointment was 3 weeks away about an hour from my house. This one was only 30 minutes away, and I got to schedule the second when I scheduled the first. I didn't pass out, but I was still glad that my husband drove, since it was still a decent drive. I definitely felt woozy and out of sorts. Feeling OK today. Arm's a little sore. Can't wait to get the 2nd and get full efficacy. It will be a big relief.

Got my first dose of Pfizer yesterday, and I didn't pass out. My original appointment was 3 weeks away about an hour from my house. This one was only 30 minutes away, and I got to schedule the second when I scheduled the first. I didn't pass out, but I was still glad that my husband drove, since it was still a decent drive. I definitely felt woozy and out of sorts. Feeling OK today. Arm's a little sore. Can't wait to get the 2nd and get full efficacy. It will be a big relief.

I'm happy for you.
I got mine today & (so far) I'm shocked to not have the slightest symptoms. Pfizer as well.
I'm glad I saw the nurse inject it into my arm or I'd have thought I was cheated.
I've read many ppl have symptoms on the 2nd shot so I'm a bit nervous about that one. But I'm ecstatic to get it.

So NCL just said they will require everyone, including children, to be fully vaccinated. My sister and I are fully vaccinated (sister got her 2nd shot today) and for us that is great news and bodes well for our planned Greek cruise on NCL in Nov. 2021. But does NOT bode well for my September cruise(s) booked with DCL. My 17 year old will be vaccinated by then, but I don't know if my 14 year old will be. I think it will be harder for DCL than other cruise lines since it caters to families and so many kids can't be vaccinated right now....

I know the chances of kids getting sick with COVID is much lower, but the cruise industry can't afford COVID breakouts, serious illness (or worse) on cruises or it will endanger their comeback. So I think they are going to err on the side of caution and require vaccinations (which is fantastic, IMHO), but just tough for families that where adults are vaccinated and kids aren't.

So NCL just said they will require everyone, including children, to be fully vaccinated. My sister and I are fully vaccinated (sister got her 2nd shot today) and for us that is great news and bodes well for our planned Greek cruise on NCL in Nov. 2021. But does NOT bode well for my September cruise(s) booked with DCL. My 17 year old will be vaccinated by then, but I don't know if my 14 year old will be. I think it will be harder for DCL than other cruise lines since it caters to families and so many kids can't be vaccinated right now....

I know the chances of kids getting sick with COVID is much lower, but the cruise industry can't afford COVID breakouts, serious illness (or worse) on cruises or it will endanger their comeback. So I think they are going to err on the side of caution and require vaccinations (which is fantastic, IMHO), but just tough for families that where adults are vaccinated and kids aren't.

Hoping with the Pfizer news on 12-15 year olds, vaccines will be available for that age group before September, but no idea if the ships will be able to sail by then. My daughter is 15. Several articles have mentioned May/June when it might get approval, but I think that's just a guess at this point. Anxiously awaiting that FDA emergency authorization to be expanded!

I'm happy for you.
I got mine today & (so far) I'm shocked to not have the slightest symptoms. Pfizer as well.
I'm glad I saw the nurse inject it into my arm or I'd have thought I was cheated.
I've read many ppl have symptoms on the 2nd shot so I'm a bit nervous about that one. But I'm ecstatic to get it.

Glad it went well. My mom didn't really have any symptoms after her 2nd Pfizer, and she gets sick at the drop of a hat. I am very excited and relieved too. Good luck! Now just got to get the kiddo dosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter