The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

Okay, so I know a couple of you are (im?)patiently waiting for an update and some pictures of the Courts villas. Thank you for your patience! It takes a bit of time to get life back on track after a couple of weeks away. Especially when those weeks end a few days before the office fiscal year ends. What was I thinking!?!? Oh yeah – I work to live, not live to work, and I have kids who deserve life’s rich experiences. The office will always be there, and business will go on if I’m there or not.

So a bit of background. DS16, aka CJ, and I had driven a quick 1500 miles on the 10th and 11th of March to get a head start on our vacation. We checked into the Silver Lake Resort, another timeshare that we own at, for the first three nights. Saturday the 14th was changeover day, and the day that DW, aka A+, joined us. Unfortunately our local board of education for some reason frowns upon teachers skiving off the few days before March break, so she was in it until the bitter end, and was flying down to join us. Actually, I am not sure if she would have seen it as unfortunate, as the smells emanating from Sully (yes we named our SUV) when we arrived in Florida were a bit ripe. Two boys, and a banana peel that fell beneath the seat, along with Florida heat and a broken climate control system that would only throw full heat on the passenger side (it was in the 80’s in FL) led to some unpleasant aromas…

At 10:30 we picked up a very frazzled A+ at the airport – turns out she had overslept and had a very frenzied start to the day. Great stories here, but this is about the Sheraton, and isn’t a trip report. Since we already had her baggage with us in the car, she only had a small carryon. We headed from the airport straight to Vistana Resort in hopes of an early check-in.

A quick note here on SunPass. This is the first year I bought a transponder, and I must say it was worth it. If you are driving to Disney from the North, taking the 417 toll route around Orlando is a great timesaver. And on this Saturday there was zero traffic taking 417 to and from the airport. It also makes airport parking a breeze as your parking fee is charged straight to your account just like the road tolls – you just drive out the SunPass lane exiting the parking garage.

Minutes later we arrived at the Vistana reception centre just ahead of the throngs of other Ontario March breakers hot on our heels. Now I did not take any pictures of the reception centre, but it does look just like the Sheraton images. We were only second back in line, but hit one of those occasional stalls where everyone in front of you seems to have to tell their life story while checking in.

The space may be lovely (although I have a feeling this look will be dated quickly), but the mechanics of the new space are a bit rough still. There are a bunch of separate desks, and some have signs for reception, others for concierge, they seem very random which leads to some confusion about who is doing what where. The activities desk is now back where Diamond Lane used to be. And Diamond Lane? Nowhere to be found. I asked the concierge while waiting for a reception counter, and he said they were still working out the kinks and DL was not (yet) available. To be honest, I am not certain that I will miss a separate lane; it was getting popular enough that the DL line could be longer than the regular line at times. I would suggest maybe putting Concierge on one side and reception on the other.

After maybe a 15 minute wait we got to an available reception counter. And lo and behold, our villa was ready for us. Drop a quick deposit on the credit card, get our signing privilege card, a half-dozen towel cards (two each), and no, they don’t need to tell us how to get to our unit, we could get there blindfolded. A quick stop at the tour desk for them to beseech us to come to the owner update (because it is completely different now), a polite “no thanks” get our parking pass and a big bundle of discount coupons, and we are on our way. The line was quite long when we got away, but we were no more than 30 minutes checking in.

High-tailing it over to our home away from home, the excitement was growing. We have not been in our own unit for several years now, and had not had the opportunity to see the renovations yet, but we had stayed in other sections so our expectations were high. We surprised housekeeping as we pulled up. I guess she wasn’t quite as ready as reception thought, but only needed about 2 minutes to finish up. She seemed quite amused by our ooohs and aaahs as we walked in.

So let’s take you on a walkthrough of the unit – after all that’s the first thing we did! These photos are taken just a short time after arriving, so there are a few bags strewn about. This first image is from the front door and is what you see as step across the threshold. Kitchen to the left, dining area beyond, and living room dead ahead.

The living room is a bright open space with a 2 storey feature window. The chairs and sofa are quite comfortable. Those drapes have motorized closers for the sheers and blackout panels.

The second view is from about halfway up the stairs to the upper floor. The entertainment centre has a nice flat screen TV (probably a modest 40”) and a Bose sound system with DVD player. You can just see the loft in the upper left.

Next up, the dining room has seating for six, a comfortable spot to enjoy a family meal, with the balcony just behind.

Next, looking back towards the entry is the breakfast bar area. This kitchen area is probably the most reworked part of the villa, as it used to be more of a galley layout, with the entry where this lovely piece of granite now sits.

A couple of more views of the well equipped kitchen. There is a dishwasher, ceramic topped stove, microwave and full size fridge with ice-maker. The space was very functional for a week and had pretty much everything you could think of. Except for a dish drying rack that is apparently no longer provided. I guess we are the only ones left who occasionally hand wash a dish or two.

Let’s move on to the master bedroom, just down a short hallway from the kitchen. This shot makes it look darker than it really is – I had the flash off and none of the room lights were on. But that bed is just as comfortable as it looks. For some reason, I forgot to turn and take a picture in the other direction, but the room has a nice large dresser, flat screen TV, and lounge chair. There is also a standard closet with in room safe.

To the left is the entry to the Master Bath, which has a second door back into the main hallway. Lots of good light, nice heavy towels, double vanity with granite top, and the Vistana feature jetted toilets; always close lid while flushing – these things flush with enough power to project waste all the way to the space coast. Honestly they are surely designed by a NASA rocket scientist!

There is a standard tub/shower – sorry no jets here. But the water pressure is good, and there is an adjustable shower head. I’m a shower guy anyway, so no love lost here for me.

Heading back out to the living room, we head up the stairs to the second bedroom and loft. Really nice dark brown wood and wrought iron railings lead the way up.

The sleeping loft is a good sized area with a second pull out sofa. The room has a closet as well if using as a sleeping area.

Next door is the separate second bedroom, with single beds. These are the extended length singles and are just as comfortable as the master bed. As for moving the beds, we didn’t try it but if it is possible it’s tougher than moving your home bed. Like most hotel beds these have solid platforms beneath that would be hard to move, and the headboards are attached to the walls.

There is also a dresser and third TV set in the room.

Just outside is the second bath with single vanity,

And tub and shower.

And this odd shot is just intended to give an indication of the ceiling volume over the living room area. That is one tall ceiling, probably about 25 feet total height to the peak. Taken from the lounge chair in front of the window.

The screened in balcony is a small but comfortable space, great for a quiet morning coffee as the rest of the park weary sleep in. Only enough room for 2 chairs here.

There is also a stacked washer dryer off the main hallway that came in very handy throughout our visit.

And one last handy area, a very large storage room under the stairs. This was great for stowing luggage out of the way for the week and for collecting all the purchases from the shopping therapy days.

And that wraps up the tour of the unit.

We were all very impressed with the transformation of the unit. The quality of the materials throughout is top notch. I still wish they would wall in the sleeping loft to make this a true 3BR unit, and a jetted tub would make it more desirable to some I am sure.

I’ve got a couple of other update photos and comments for a second post to come. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Anxiously awaiting your Courts pics. We have a lower unit booked and can't really find any pics online, even on Sheraton's own website. I realize you stayed in an upper, and our unit will be different, but looking forward to seeing them nonetheless.

Hi Grt8t Fan. So a lower unit in Courts is going to look very much like the unit above. The layout is similar, but instead of having the second bedroom upstairs, it is in a bump out at the front of the unit, behind the kitchen. Some of the spaces will be a bit smaller, for instance a bit of the kitchen is stolen for access to the 2nd bedroom, but then you get all the space taken for the stairs in the upper villas back again. Of course you won't have the big feature window in the living room either.

Access for the lower units is much easier as the entry door is at ground level and there are no stairs up to the 2nd bedroom. I did notice that the soundproofing seemed to be upgraded in our unit, and the floors had been tightened up to remove squeaks; so unless there is family of elephants upstairs, you probably won't hear much. It is a very luxurious space.

So as promised, a part 2 reply.

A couple of exterior shots might help set the space as well for these units. The front view shows how the lower units bump out at the front for the extra bedroom, under that long sloping roof. The centre exterior stair leads up to the larger townhome villas. These are a big space; from the left of the photo down to the parked truck is only 4 lower and 4 upper units.

Looking on from the back view, this photo frames a single lower and upper. The screened porch is in the middle of the unit, the master is in the lower section to the right of the photo, and that big feature window is to the left.

This fuzzy photo is looking out off the balcony. As you can see Courts has some nice vegetation, but no ponds like the newer sections of the resort.

There are a few of these scattered about in shady spots if you want to lounge in peace:

I didn’t spend as much time wandering about the resort as I have in the past. But there was one new feature that I really liked! The old cast iron charcoal BBQ’s have been replaced with several new gas BBQ stations. The stations are cleaned daily and are suddenly a popular hangout at dinner time as dads (why is always the guys?) gather to grill their daily fare. Another new addition is that the units in areas with the grills now have a multipurpose BBQ utensil provided. I chatted with a Cascades guest who was “sneaking” over to Courts to use the new BBQ station. These are being installed in other sections of the resort as well over the coming months. Note that there are 3 BBQ's at each station, I left the leftmost out of the shot as it was being used while I was shutter-bugging.

Only one other shot from the resort was one of our little friends. These guys are everywhere and provide great amusement as you watch them dart about:

Other notes from the notebook.

The towel cards are a bit of a joke. We turned them in for towels at the beginning, and returned them at checkout, but the huge bins of towels are still at all the pools for exchanges and no one seems to pay much attention.

The Fish Pipe is gone now. Wondering if another portable temporary attraction may appear in the future to replace it, but for now we are back to the normal amenities.

As mentioned earlier, the new Zimmies is open with an upscale décor (fairly similar to the reception centre) and revamped poolside bar area. There is also the new “Outpost” bar between the Falls and Courts pools offering drinks and snacks during regular hours. I only saw it open once as we often returned later from the parks, but it is a nice space. The new fitness centre in the Spas recreation centre looks very nice; never felt the need to work out with all the walking we were doing.

We spent a lot of time at the Falls pool this year. It was close to our unit, and is quieter with the waterslide closed for renovations. No sign of a replacement yet, but since the structure is still there, I assume a new or resurfaced slide will be installed eventually.

There was quiet a lot of new paving in the resort, but I expect it is now done. We didn’t see any signs of crews. Also accessibility has been greatly increased with new proper curb cuts for those in wheelchairs or scooters.

Every time we go back to Orlando, the traffic just seems to get worse. Once again I advise all Vistana guests to NEVER TURN LEFT when leaving the resort. Traffic chaos lives in that direction, and everything that you need to get to has a quicker (albeit slightly longer distance) access by turning right out of the resort and then turning at World Centre drive; right for the Parks, DTD, or I-4, and left then left on I-Drive for outlet shopping, liquor store or Publix groceries.

One thing that is always evident to us at Vistana is that the resort management is never one to rest on their laurels. There is always something under improvement or refurbishment, but the inconveniences are very small, and it is what keeps this as a top notch resort.

Awesome updates, and fabulous photos. I am "homesick", to say the least.

As for the paving, our Fall association newsletter indicated that that project would not be completed until Fall 2015. Perhaps, though, the weather has been more favourable than expected and they progressed quicker than they originally anticipated.

Here are the other details listed in our Fall 2014 association update.....nothing for spring released just yet:

RESORT UPDATE

• Sheraton Vistana Resort is undergoing some exciting changes. To ensure the quality vacation you’ve come to expect, the Welcome Center and Zimmie’s will be getting a fresh, updated face lift. Zimmie’s is scheduled to re-open late January 2015. With the Welcome Center renovation well on its way and expected to be complete by Christmas 2014, registration is temporarily relocated across the street at 8803 Vistana Centre Drive (an office building). Click here to enjoy a sneak peek of the renovations.

• A new state-of-the art Sheraton Fitness by EXOS®, will be added to the Spa Recreation Center and is scheduled to open early February 2015. The fitness center in the Cascades phase is also currently undergoing renovations to be upgraded to a Sheraton Fitness by EXOS®, with new state-of-the art equipment, and is scheduled to be complete by early February 2015.

• For your convenience, beginning January 2015, each villa bathroom will feature Shine for SheratonTM bath amenities including shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. The signature line refreshes and invigorates with a mix of mandarin and mint.

• For some added family fun, the Cascades phase children’s playground is also being renovated with new modern equipment, which will be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act. This is scheduled to be complete by early February 2015.

• The Fountains I phase will be receiving a fresh face lift with new duvets, carpet, and paint. This is scheduled for completion by midDecember 2014. New upholstery, sofa beds and window coverings will also be replaced by April 2015.

• Enjoy the new fire pit at the Fountains Recreation Center outside the Tacky Tiki Bar & Grill – perfect for socializing, making s’mores and enjoying an entertaining evening.

• To enhance your outdoor grilling experience, new gas grills, chairs and tables will be added to Fountains I and Lakes phases with scheduled completion by mid-December 2014.

• For a smoother game, the shuffleboard courts in the Falls and Fountains phases have also been resurfaced with terrazzo.

• We are continually maintaining the resort grounds and common areas to ensure a quality experience throughout. This includes repaving the entire resort, which is expected to be complete in the fall of 2015.

Hi Grt8t Fan. So a lower unit in Courts is going to look very much like the unit above. The layout is similar, but instead of having the second bedroom upstairs, it is in a bump out at the front of the unit, behind the kitchen. Some of the spaces will be a bit smaller, for instance a bit of the kitchen is stolen for access to the 2nd bedroom, but then you get all the space taken for the stairs in the upper villas back again. Of course yEditou won't have the big feature window in the living room either.

Access for the lower units is much easier as the entry door is at ground level and there are no stairs up to the 2nd bedroom. I did notice that the soundproofing seemed to be upgraded in our unit, and the floors had been tightened up to remove squeaks; so unless there is family of elephants upstairs, you probably won't hear much. It is a very luxurious space.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I knew all of the units were upgraded/refurbished and most of the reviews I saw online were years old, but I was a tad worried about our upcoming reservation in the Courts section. You have put my mind at ease.

Couple of questions for the Vistana Experts.
  • Looking at a 1 BR for Friday check in (6-5-15 via SkyAuction)- How can I tell if I would get the bigger or smaller 1 BR unit?
  • Can I request the bigger unit at some point? if so, when?
  • And a 1 BR unit with Friday check in, what buildings could that potentially be?
Thanks!

Couple of questions for the Vistana Experts.
  • Looking at a 1 BR for Friday check in (6-5-15 via SkyAuction)- How can I tell if I would get the bigger or smaller 1 BR unit?
  • Can I request the bigger unit at some point? if so, when?
  • And a 1 BR unit with Friday check in, what buildings could that potentially be?
Thanks!

With Skyauction, there doesn't appear to be any way to determine which 1 bedroom configuration you might get. For our upcoming stay (checking in May 1), I plan to request the larger one bedroom layout (we want the balcony in particular, and the extra space) via Diamond Lane two weeks prior to our arrival, cross our fingers, and hope for the best!

I emailed the SVR concierge, and was told we could upgrade to a 2 bedroom for $50 per night (ahem! not happening). If you want to do that, they send you a credit card authorization via email for completion to guarantee your upgrade.

A one bedroom with a Friday check-in should put you in one of the following buildings: Lakes 2 or 8, or Cascades 3, 8, 11 or 14.

You can see them on this map:

https://www.mystarcentral.com/CMS/en_US/svo_media/CMSMedia/PDF/resort_maps/svr_resort_map.pdf

Lakes and Cascades are the only sections with one bedroom villas, and the Sunday buildings are those marked in red.

Thanks Gina so much, I knew you would help out!

Can anyone make a request via the Diamond Lane or is that for owners only? And if we can, where would we do that?

And can anyone access the SVR concierge or just owners?

Thanks again!

Thanks Gina so much, I knew you would help out!

Can anyone make a request via the Diamond Lane or is that for owners only? And if we can, where would we do that?

And can anyone access the SVR concierge or just owners?

Thanks again!

Diamond Lane can be used by anyone. Just submit the following form online about 2 weeks prior to your arrival, as that is when they start making room assignments for upcoming reservations:

https://www.mystarcentral.com/services/diamond.jsp?propertyId=01

Make sure you include all your identifying information (Skyauction confirmation number, reservation number, etc.)

And.....anyone can contact the SVR concierge :thumbsup2. Here is their email:

00SVO-SVRConcierge@starwoodhotels.com

Hope that helps! :)

Diamond Lane can be used by anyone. Just submit the following form online about 2 weeks prior to your arrival, as that is when they start making room assignments for upcoming reservations:

https://www.mystarcentral.com/services/diamond.jsp?propertyId=01

Make sure you include all your identifying information (Skyauction confirmation number, reservation number, etc.)

And.....anyone can contact the SVR concierge :thumbsup2. Here is their email:

00SVO-SVRConcierge@starwoodhotels.com

Hope that helps! :)

It sure does help. Thanks so much!

I don't know what to request at Diamond Lane for our room (we are 23 days from arrival). We have a 2 BDR (my uncle traded his 1 BDR Marriott via Interval International) and arrive on Saturday May 2nd. It will be just my husband, myself and our 5-1/2 year-old son. I guess we DON'T want a room near the highway, so a quieter one. And I initially was thinking the Cascades pool looked good, with the spray area, so close to that. Is that possible? Or is another area better for us? Also, I'm confused about floors--we are OK with 2nd floor but no higher with a stroller for long days in the parks.

Perhaps an odd question but are things like dish soap and paper towels provided?

Last August, there were a couple of dishwasher powder packets in the villa when we arrived, but no dish liquid dish soap.

I can't remember about the paper towels, but bankr63's one photo above shows a full roll on the counter. That said, he is super organized so perhaps he brought that along (smartie pants that he is ::yes:: ).

I don't know what to request at Diamond Lane for our room (we are 23 days from arrival). We have a 2 BDR (my uncle traded his 1 BDR Marriott via Interval International) and arrive on Saturday May 2nd. It will be just my husband, myself and our 5-1/2 year-old son. I guess we DON'T want a room near the highway, so a quieter one. And I initially was thinking the Cascades pool looked good, with the spray area, so close to that. Is that possible? Or is another area better for us? Also, I'm confused about floors--we are OK with 2nd floor but no higher with a stroller for long days in the parks.

If you happen to be assigned to Cascades, those buildings have elevators (so you wouldn't need to worry about stairs). Lakes also has elevators. Other possible sections for a Saturday check-in are Palms, Springs, Fountains I or II, and Courts. I am pretty sure the only sections you have ruled out are Falls (Sunday check-in) and Spas (Friday check-ins).

The Cascades pool would probably be a favourite for your 5.5 year old. Those spray fountains are big hit with the little ones.

We are there the same time (May 1 to 8). If you happen to see us (unlikely, but hey...you never know!) be sure to say hello!

If you happen to be assigned to Cascades, those buildings have elevators (so you wouldn't need to worry about stairs). Lakes also has elevators. Other possible sections for a Saturday check-in are Palms, Springs, Fountains I or II, and Courts. I am pretty sure the only sections you have ruled out are Falls (Sunday check-in) and Spas (Friday check-ins).

The Cascades pool would probably be a favourite for your 5.5 year old. Those spray fountains are big hit with the little ones.

We are there the same time (May 1 to 8). If you happen to see us (unlikely, but hey...you never know!) be sure to say hello!

If I see you, I'll certainly say hi! :) And thanks for the info re: elevators!

So is the Cascades section a good one to request? Or is there another area that is better?

If I see you, I'll certainly say hi! :) And thanks for the info re: elevators!

So is the Cascades section a good one to request? Or is there another area that is better?

"Better" is soooo subjective. My preference in sections might be very different from yours!

I have a 19 year old, and we like the Fountains best. We have stayed on both sides of the resort (first in Spas, then in Fountains) and much prefer the Fountains pool to either Cascades or the Super pool. We also preferred the decor in Fountains to Spas, and the fact that our Fountains top floor villa had a skylight (top floor units in Spas do not). We also liked that the Fountains/Lakes side of the resort was quieter. But.....we don't have a 5 year old that would enjoy the spray fountains, or the small slide at the Falls pool (assuming they re-install it at some point).

This upcoming stay, we have a one bedroom booked, so we know that we'll be in Cascades or Lakes. Opposite sides of the resort, but we will be more than happy with either location. Its a fabulous property and honestly I don't think you can go wrong whereever you are placed (aside from the buildings which are adjacent to the highway.....I can do without that noise).

Tried to reply earlier but was having issues with the site!

I think I'll just request to be in a room that is away from the highway. We really don't care where we are placed as long as we're not by the highway, though walking to the pool would be nice.

Last August, there were a couple of dishwasher powder packets in the villa when we arrived, but no dish liquid dish soap.

I can't remember about the paper towels, but bankr63's one photo above shows a full roll on the counter. That said, he is super organized so perhaps he brought that along (smartie pants that he is ::yes:: ).

Pretty much everything you need is provided and can be replenished with a quick call to housekeeping if you run out. Keep that last point in mind as I have read reviews where people complained that they had to go out to buy more toilet paper - I'm pretty sure they never thought to ask. A housekeeping runner will usually have it to you in 5 minutes. Stocks are generally replenished at the mid-week tidy as well.

This last trip our fridge ice maker wasn't functioning when we arrived (had a switch frozen over). I call Housekeeping and they had two big bags of ice to us within 5 minutes of reporting to "tide us over" until the engineering team got there about 15-20 minutes later, and this was at dinner hour. I kid you not, if you call them, they will come!

We had a full roll of paper towel and a spare under the sink, and I don't think we ran out of anything. The only supply they don't provide is for the laundry, but they have convenient sizes of those available at the Marketplace.

The main supply things we bring from home are laundry detergent (tabs) and dryer sheets and Lysol wipes for the kitchen counters. Also shampoo and conditioner; although those are now provided, we still prefer our own brands. We used to bring dishwasher pucks/tabs too because the powder they provided wasn't very good, but we found they had changed providers and the new powder packs worked much better.

The one other supply we bring is paper coffee filters for the coffee maker. Actually, since we drove this time, we brought our grinder, fresh beans and French press pot and skipped the coffee maker.

Also, to SweetNJMom, I think you have the best plan - keep your request simple. Once at the resort, take a bit of time to try the various pools and get to know the layout of the resort a bit. Then you will have a very good idea of where you want to request the next time - assuming you get bit like to rest of us and there is a next time. Team Gina and Team Bankr probably vary a bit on what we like - I feel they want to be closer to the activity. My crew prefers peace and quiet, but still a short walk to all the fun. That's what is great about Vistana, there is something for everyone, but you kind of need to get there to find your bliss.

Eventually we would like to stay in all the sections except Cascades and Lakes, which are probably the two most popular sections. Why? Because they are also probably the two most populous sections, and we like our space...

Once at the resort, take a bit of time to try the various pools and get to know the layout of the resort a bit. Then you will have a very good idea of where you want to request the next time - assuming you get bit like to rest of us and there is a next time. Team Gina and Team Bankr probably vary a bit on what we like - I feel they want to be closer to the activity. My crew prefers peace and quiet, but still a short walk to all the fun. That's what is great about Vistana, there is something for everyone, but you kind of need to get there to find your bliss.

Totally agree :thumbsup2 .

Definitely the pools each have a different "feel" or "vibe" to them, much like the various sections do. The Fountains pools is hands down our favourite, as we love the music from the Tiki Bar (especially the steel drummers......they make me feel like I've been swept away to a Carribean island), the deeper depth, the waterfall (that doesn't feel quite so much like its going to pound you to death like the Cascades one does :eek: ), the dive-in movies, and the way they have integrated the hot tubs (up behind the waterfall, two different tubs separated by a small set of stairs, secluded from the noise of the pool and surrounded by greenery). We also like that there seems to be less "coming and going" over by Fountains.....with the Marketplace and Zimmies on the other side of the resort, there just felt like there was considerably more traffic there when we stayed in Spas.

For our upcoming trip, I am hoping for Lakes (so we can be close to "our" pool, and have a larger unit to boot) but won't be upset if we end up in Cascades. I know our next two vacations (October and December) will both be in Fountains, so this will be an opportunity to try something new :) .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter