• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

Thanks, that makes sense about the 2BR LOs. I actually knew that. In fact, in II and I think even RCI owners don't really pick what to deposit. They just say they want to deposit the whole unit, or each or either side of their lock off. VIstana actually selects what to deposit. I guess only true fixed week fixed unit get deposited as such. Otherwise Vistana can give II or RCI what they choose and, for many years, no one has yet seen deposits of a full lock off villa from Vistana at any properties with 2BR LO units.

I know for sure that one of our weeks is a 'natural' 2BR since it was booked using StarOptions. The other is an II Getaway, and likely another 'natural' 2BR. We will ask for Lakes for one and a ground floor in any of the other phases for the other week. I want to try to get as much video footage of the different unit configurations as possible to put into a video series about the different phases of the resort.

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes sense about the 2BR LOs. I actually knew that. In fact, in II and I think even RCI owners don't really pick what to deposit. They just say they want to deposit the whole unit, or each or either side of their lock off. VIstana actually selects what to deposit. I guess only true fixed week fixed unit get deposited as such. Otherwise Vistana can give II or RCI what they choose and, for many years, no one has yet seen deposits of a full lock off villa from Vistana at any properties with 2BR LO units.

I know for sure that one of our weeks is a 'natural' 2BR since it was booked using StarOptions. The other is an II Getaway, and likely another 'natural' 2BR. We will ask for Lakes for one and a ground floor in any of the other phases for the other week. I want to try to get as much video footage of the different unit configurations as possible to put into a video series about the different phases of the resort.
In that case, I would probably ask for Fountains for the 2nd unit. As reported by @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina the Fountains section appears to be completing a full refresh cycle, so there is a good chance of getting a very fresh unit, and it is on the same side of the resort as Lakes, so you will at least be close to each other. That side of the resort has been very quiet since March as SVR seemed to be placing most people on the south side and had the north closed off. Do be aware that there are few if any services open over there right now. YYMV depending on timing of your trip though.

I'm looking forward to your videos of the Sheraton Vistana. My biggest issue is which ones have elevators and which do not. I have a tendency to forget. But your videos make it easy to go back to find and see that information. I like higher floors with pool/lake views but I require an elevator. Its nice to see all the details in your videos so I will know which to request when I make a reservation. I realize requests aren't guaranteed, especially if not an owner. But if I arrive early enough for check-in(between 9-10am), my requests have a very good chance of being honored.

I'm looking forward to your videos of the Sheraton Vistana. My biggest issue is which ones have elevators and which do not. I have a tendency to forget. But your videos make it easy to go back to find and see that information. I like higher floors with pool/lake views but I require an elevator. Its nice to see all the details in your videos so I will know which to request when I make a reservation. I realize requests aren't guaranteed, especially if not an owner. But if I arrive early enough for check-in(between 9-10am), my requests have a very good chance of being honored.

The only two sections with elevators are Cascades (on the south side of the resort) and Lakes (on the north side). All other sections have stairs to the units that are not on the ground floor.

If you have a specific or special request, it's always best to submit those early (approximately 2-3 weeks before your arrival) so those requests can be considered during the villa assignment process. An advance request will give you a much higher chance of getting what you want and need. It also keeps the check in process much smoother and faster. SVR has a dedicated prearrival coordinator that you can email in advance of your stay.

Thanks for the reminder about the buildings with elevators. Yes I will remember to make my building/unit request when I make the reservation. Then 2 weeks before arrival I will follow-up. Thanks for the info about the coordinator. That is good info to know! I always arrive early on check-in day so that also helps as one last reminder of getting my request honored.

Can someone PM me the email for the rooms coordinator for Vistana Resort? Since one of our reservations is made with our ownership, I tried to add a request online, but I get an error every time I try.

Last edited:
Can someone PM me the email for the rooms coordinator for Vistana Resort? Since one of our reservations is made with our ownership, I tried to add a request online, but I get an error every time I try.

Done!

And actually, I will post it again here as well, as it looks like they have updated their email addresses in late 2020:

Kayla Lee
Kayla.Lee@vacationclub.com

Thanks. I sent an email about our two reservations. Do you usually receive a response?

Yes, I do usually receive a reply.....but sometimes it can take up to a week. I don't believe Kayla is in her office every day, and I think she's got her hands full when she IS there. So there's normally a delay, but she always responds.

We just checked into a 1BR Premium in Lakes. We are here on a 4 night Encore package then move to a 2BR somewhere. I requested Fountains, we shall see. I had sent a couple emails in advance. One to Kayla and another to the person who sent a pre arrival email. Didn't hear back from either one. When I went to checkin, they had us in Cascades and I asked for Lakes instead. The checkin guy was fantastic and even said he would take a look at our second reservation to put the note on it. We shall see. We have our obligatory sales presentation tomorrow. We did a sales presentation here last summer and it was pretty low key. I can't say the same about the presentations over at Vistana Villages.

I will post another update later in the week about any new happenings. I do know that Zimmies is open again with limited hours.

Okay. I meant to also give an update on the villa. As we know, it has been remodeled. It still had the smell of fresh paint when we walked in. The room looks fantastic. Very similar to the renovation over at Sheraton Vistana Villages Amelia phase. The only thing they could have done better was replaced the range and dishwasher. Right now they are still white and we have a gray refrigerator and microwave. It would also be good to get rid of that huge jetted tub. Not sure what they could do with the space, perhaps a small sitting area or expand the bathroom area more.

Does anyone know what is up with the Marketplace? We went in there earlier today and it was pretty bare. They had plenty of groceries but not much in the way of merchandise and souvenirs. No deli meat in the cases. I overheard someone saying that the apparel was 80% off. They had lots of empty shelves and some had Post-It notes on them with "Done 12/29" written on them. Are they perhaps having an outside vendor come in to run the shop and either the older vendor has to clear out? I don't know if the resort operates the Marketplace of if it is an outside vendor. Anyone know what might be going on? If I get the chance to ask someone while we are here, I will.

Hello everyone.

Last year, we were thinking of buying resale at Vistana Resort, but my fiance wanted to make sure we actually like the place before we commit to something, so we decided to wait for an opportunity to stay here and then reconsider our options.

However, we're going to Orlando as part of a larger family trip in December and just our luck, they organized villas here! So I'm very excited to check it out (we're breaking our trip up to check out two other resorts while we're down there).

Who knows, maybe we'll end up owners for Christmas.

I've gone through pages of replies in this thread and I want to thank everyone for all of the information you've shared - very helpful to someone new!

Hello everyone.

Last year, we were thinking of buying resale at Vistana Resort, but my fiance wanted to make sure we actually like the place before we commit to something, so we decided to wait for an opportunity to stay here and then reconsider our options.

However, we're going to Orlando as part of a larger family trip in December and just our luck, they organized villas here! So I'm very excited to check it out (we're breaking our trip up to check out two other resorts while we're down there).

Who knows, maybe we'll end up owners for Christmas.

I've gone through pages of replies in this thread and I want to thank everyone for all of the information you've shared - very helpful to someone new!

We did the exact same thing. Had the resort on our radar, finally had a chance to stay there (and fell in love), and began our search for a resale week as soon as we got home.....and we ended up with 2.

Ownership is not for everyone. We chose to buy where we vacation, and didn't worry about trade value as Orlando is "our place". My best piece of advice: be mindful of the type of ownership that you purchase, if you decide to buy.....there are fixed weeks, float weeks, points, every year usage, odd year usage, high seasons, low seasons, various different sections (which offer different villa and building layouts) and all sorts of other considerations. Look to your needs now and what your needs might be in the future to be sure your purchase will still be something you enjoy in your next stage of life.

We have stayed at several different timeshare properties in Orlando, and so far, nothing has been a better fit for us than SVR. I can't wait to hear what you think of the resort after your December stay!

...there are fixed weeks, float weeks, points, every year usage, odd year usage, high seasons, low seasons, various different sections (which offer different villa and building layouts) and all sorts of other considerations. Look to your needs now and what your needs might be in the future to be sure your purchase will still be something you enjoy in your next stage of life.

I feel like I'm learning a new language lol

I feel like I'm learning a new language lol

That's why research before purchase is SO important. If you end up with a purchase that doesn't meet your needs, you can really be stuck. I suspect that timeshares would be difficult to sell right now, because a lot of folks simply haven't been able to travel since Covid hit (and some others don't yet feel comfortable going on vacation). Those maintenance fees still need to be paid, even if you can't travel. I feel especially bad for those owners that live outside of the USA, as they couldn't use their weeks if they wanted to.

When we were looking to purchase, we knew we wanted to be able to use our week every year. We also knew we wanted flexibility in when we use it, so a float week was essential. We wanted a 2 bedroom (so we could travel with family or friends when possible) and we wanted high season (so we could travel during the most desirable weeks of the year, if we wanted to). That helped narrow the scope A LOT.

TUG (Timeshare Users Group) is a great place to begin your pre-purchase research. Definitely check out their website and learn from the pros. They have a resale marketplace as well, for when you are ready to take the plunge into ownership.

That's why research before purchase is SO important. If you end up with a purchase that doesn't meet your needs, you can really be stuck. I suspect that timeshares would be difficult to sell right now, because a lot of folks simply haven't been able to travel since Covid hit (and some others don't yet feel comfortable going on vacation). Those maintenance fees still need to be paid, even if you can't travel. I feel especially bad for those owners that live outside of the USA, as they couldn't use their weeks if they wanted to.

When we were looking to purchase, we knew we wanted to be able to use our week every year. We also knew we wanted flexibility in when we use it, so a float week was essential. We wanted a 2 bedroom (so we could travel with family or friends when possible) and we wanted high season (so we could travel during the most desirable weeks of the year, if we wanted to). That helped narrow the scope A LOT.

TUG (Timeshare Users Group) is a great place to begin your pre-purchase research. Definitely check out their website and learn from the pros. They have a resale marketplace as well, for when you are ready to take the plunge into ownership.
I second the recommendation for TUG, a great source of education. @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina and I had a few PMs when she was considering purchasing, and a lot of the advice I offered seems to have taken hold :)

My other advice/caution is to never be in a hurry to buy. People have been giving away timeshares for decades, and there is absolutely no upward pressure on prices. In fact, my best advice is to rent, rent, rent until you are sure you really want to take on the liability. Rentals are the same and even sometimes less than what owners pay in maintenance fees with none of the commitment.

We bought a totally different type ownership from Gina at Vistana. My DW is a teacher, so our travel window is always March/Spring break. So buying a fixed deeded week that mostly falls on our provincial school break week was our way of ensuring we can visit when she is off work. It also means we are guaranteed our own unit every time we visit - great if you choose your villa wisely, not so great if you don't (we are very happy with our central location near several of the pools). It is fun to arrive back 'home' every time we visit.

One warning about TUG, take the overall advice in the context of your own wants and needs, and don't listen to regulars who are 'down' on Orlando saying it is 'overbuilt'. Most of them own timeshares in Hawaii and pay 2-3 times the maintenance fees of Orlando properties. If you purchase a tier 1 property like Vistana/Marriott/Hilton there will always be demand in Orlando. I have no problem trading our Vistana or our other Orlando timeshare ownership (Silver Lake) for properties all over the globe. I followed one the primary rules of TUG when buying - always buy where you want to travel.

I have been lurking on TUG for a few months now, just haven't gotten around to posting. Definitely learning a lot about timeshares. I have several family members who love their DVCs, but that's not for us. On the flip side, I have a friend who inherited a timeshare in the Berkshires and it took her years to get rid of it.

My fiance and I both have the same one-week off from our employers (Week 52 actually) and our own vacation day pools. I have more restrictions on when I can take my time off but he has none whatsoever. Ultimately, I'd like to find places we can go to quarterly. I'm a "travel more frequently for shorter trips" person, not a "travel once a year for a long trip" person. So maybe I'll end up one day with four timeshares hahaha

My other advice/caution is to never be in a hurry to buy. People have been giving away timeshares for decades, and there is absolutely no upward pressure on prices. In fact, my best advice is to rent, rent, rent until you are sure you really want to take on the liability. Rentals are the same and even sometimes less than what owners pay in maintenance fees with none of the commitment.

If we buy, it won't be for a while and it will be resale (one mortgage is more than enough). We plan on renting at Vistana Resort (not sure what phase we'll be in as I am not in charge of the reservations) and Wyndham Bonnett Creek this year to try them out. I also want to try and rent at Vistana Villages and at least one of the MVC properties next year when we visit the in-laws.

I started a database of properties and pros & cons, costs, fees, rules... it's not as extensive as my database for when we bought our house, but it's getting there haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter