The Running Thread -- 2022

Speaking of lotteries....
Is there any kind of general sense of how many times you might need to apply for races such as Chicago or NY? Can you defer more than once (for example, if you got picked in the lottery for 2024, could you defer 2x and not run until 2026? Or are deferrals like a 1-time thing?

Ugh! Today will be the first treadmill run since April 15 because we’ve already gotten 4.5” of snow, and there’s still another 4-5 hours to go. Shoveling will be taking the place of the “strength” portion of my scheduled “easy 30 run + strength”
I've definitely used shoveling snow as cross training.

Is there any kind of general sense of how many times you might need to apply for races such as Chicago or NY? Can you defer more than once (for example, if you got picked in the lottery for 2024, could you defer 2x and not run until 2026? Or are deferrals like a 1-time thing?
Chicago tends to be pretty easy to get into. The acceptance rates I've seen for it have been very high (I want to say 75-85%, but don't have a solid source). I got in on my first try. I can't speak to NY or the possibility of multiple deferrals, though.

I've applied for NY at least 5 times and never gotten in, but I don't know what the actual odds are. I tried to look up odds for Chicago last week, and people seemed to say it's 50/50 but I don't think any of these races publish the actual numbers.

I've applied for NY at least 5 times and never gotten in, but I don't know what the actual odds are. I tried to look up odds for Chicago last week, and people seemed to say it's 50/50 but I don't think any of these races publish the actual numbers.
Have you considered running for a charity for the NYC Marathon? I'm going to put my name in the lottery for the first time this year and I'm weighing all of my options.

Have you considered running for a charity for the NYC Marathon? I'm going to put my name in the lottery for the first time this year and I'm weighing all of my options.
Fundraising is a great thing in theory, and when other people are doing it I admire it. but I really do *not* like doing it myself, I'm not on social media and really would rather not run it than individually hit my friends & family up for money. I'd just pay the fundraising goal myself but I hear they are pretty steep for NYC. It's not a life goal for me or anything, I figure I'll get in when I get in (or not). But it is a good idea for someone with a wide network.

I was going to mention the charity option. I have a coworker who lives in NYC and has run it multiple times, always through volunteering with NYRR or charity bib.

I have a childhood friend who does Chicago every few years and she never seems to have trouble getting in. But she has also done Chicago for charity as she has a daughter who had open heart surgery as an infant and there was an aligning charity she wanted to support.

I'll ask them both about deferrals.

ETA I agree with you about fundraising @SheHulk -- and I work for a nonprofit! It is hard work and I think it's often dismissed. There are some clever tactics people have employed but it's definitely something you can't skim over.

Fundraising is a great thing in theory, and when other people are doing it I admire it. but I really do *not* like doing it myself, I'm not on social media and really would rather not run it than individually hit my friends & family up for money. I'd just pay the fundraising goal myself but I hear they are pretty steep for NYC. It's not a life goal for me or anything, I figure I'll get in when I get in (or not). But it is a good idea for someone with a wide network.
The great thing about NYC is that you can qualify with half marathon time rather than having to get a certain marathon qualifying time. Mind you, it's rather damn fast. But, it's better than having to qualify with a marathon time.

The great thing about NYC is that you can qualify with half marathon time rather than having to get a certain marathon qualifying time. Mind you, it's rather damn fast. But, it's better than having to qualify with a marathon time.

That's great! Sadly I will likely never be close to qualifying by time, but that's good to know.

Just looked up the times.... I'm not there yet but maybe once I graduate into the next age group I can get there!

Additionally, have you looked into the running the virtual NYC marathon? If you participate in the virtual NYC marathon, then you have a guaranteed entry in the following year's race.

At least for NYC, you can only defer once (ie: if you get in for 2024, you can defer to 2025 but not 2026). But you do have to pay the fee again, so it ends up being quite an expensive race.

I seem to remember you're not very close to NYC so this might be moot, but an option a lot of people do (since the lottery odds aren't super great) is to do 9+1, where you run 9 of NYRR's races and volunteer at another the year before (ie: 2023) to get guaranteed entrance the next year (ie: 2024).

This kind of anecdotal stuff is what I'm looking for. I feel like a lot of lottery entrants get into Chicago, but NY seems more.....stingy.
Additionally, have you looked into the running the virtual NYC marathon? If you participate in the virtual NYC marathon, then you have a guaranteed entry in the following year's race.
I hadn't read that! If that's something that wasn't just an immediate-post-covid type of thing, that would totally be the way to go if (like me) you are trying to run *with* someone else.
At least for NYC, you can only defer once (ie: if you get in for 2024, you can defer to 2025 but not 2026). But you do have to pay the fee again, so it ends up being quite an expensive race.
Ahhh.....that's an important stipulation (the fee 2x)

I seem to remember you're not very close to NYC so this might be moot, but an option a lot of people do (since the lottery odds aren't super great) is to do 9+1, where you run 9 of NYRR's races and volunteer at another the year before (ie: 2023) to get guaranteed entrance the next year (ie: 2024).
Oh I'm nowhere NEAR the state of New York, and I had seen something about the 9+1 on their website, but since it's basically not an option at all due to geography and costs I didn't really delve into it.

And yeah.....charity isn't something I have an interest in doing. I don't have the social network to raise the amount of money that would be required (really, I don't) and I don't want to beat my head against that particular wall.

A qualifying time isn't gonna happen either.

I've entered the Chicago lottery 5 times and only got in once by lottery, although I've run it twice, once for charity. You can defer at least once, not sure after that, but you also pay the fee again.

NYC is really hard to get into by lottery. So far I'm 0 for 5. The people I've known who have run it got in by either time qualifying, running for charity, or the more recent option of the virtual.

Most people I know have tried several times to get into NYC, and they (including me) have not gotten in, but one person entered the lottery twice, and got in both times!!! It was crazy! She didn’t expect to get picked the second year.
One person chose to do the NYC virtual this year to run it next year. I missed the signup for that this year.

ETA: I entered the Chicago lottery once and got in as well as most people I know that entered. I don’t know if it was just that particular year that it was easier or not. My city also has an employer that sponsors the race. Many people from my area run Chicago, because they can get a free entry.

6CF6DD88-7735-4409-B644-5D566E58C8D6.jpeg

Well it nothing lasts forever I suppose. Both my goals for the year fell with only a month to go (100+ miles/month and no injuries). This past weekend had 40 miles over 4 days scheduled as a mini dopey and I felt I had to sit it out with a very inflamed achilles that I think would have led to bad things. So more of a pre injury - don’t be stubborn and run on it - type thing, but still ended an 18 month streak of 100+
No complaints though, I’ve got 1274 for the year so averaging over 100. Did 5 miles this morning and feel ready for my mini dopey this weekend, hopefully no more bumps on the road to MW.

Anybody else thinking that runDisney should announce the 2024 DL race schedule soon? Registration for WDW 23/24 season will probably start in March, if it follows the 22/23 dates, so people will need the schedule for planning purposes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter