The Running Thread -- 2022

My email is full of Black Friday deals but I don't really need much. Any vendor I've purchased from in the past few years has something today. If anyone is looking for anything running specific from a vendor let me know and I'll post any codes or links they sent me.
I almost always unsubscribe (or don't check the box to get emails) when I order stuff because I do NOT need the temptation of sales in my inbox year round. 🤣

RE Black Friday deals: I bought a pair of Saucony Tempus last night to try out.

I am a clear overpronator and I've been injured a few times running with non-stability shoes. I am really hoping I'll find a nice pair of high-stacked, bouncy, responsive shoes that don't cause my arch to collapse. The equivalent of the RC Elite v2, but for overpronators. It's my unicorn!

Anyone have any suggestions on ortho insoles for running? Was looking at a couple and then realized I need to buy two pair for both shoes coming to MW. So if there are any Black Friday deals, that would be awesome.

Anyone have any suggestions on ortho insoles for running? Was looking at a couple and then realized I need to buy two pair for both shoes coming to MW. So if there are any Black Friday deals, that would be awesome.
My PT seemingly puts just about everyone that needs insoles into powerstep insoles (based on overhearing him when the PTAs were doing my treatments.) He told me to get original or Pinnacle in low or neutral (I have a mostly neutral foot, but I pronate a little and was being treated for PF that was irritating my achilles, and super tight calves) and that they are cheapest on amazon. They're usually in the $20-ish range.

I will also say that he mentioned that he didn't want me in them forever, and that I should wear myself off of using them once my symptoms resolved.

Last edited:
Black Friday:

30% Athleta - grabbed a new pair of shorts!
30% Altras at Running Warehouse - added a pair of Torins to my stash!
Buy 2 packs, get 25% off on GU at Running Warehouse - I’m now set for MW!

Other ones I haven’t used, but am entirely too aware of and could jump on at any moment today…

Tailwind 20% off
SmartWool 20% (? I think) off
Headsweats 30% off

I use Superfeet as recommended by my ortho. They have 25% off right now, which is the best they ever do. They only ever have sales during Black Friday and sometimes once in the spring; otherwise, outside of a random sale at REI or some other retailer that carries them, they don't go on sale.

I know many/most of the people on this board are training for a big runDisney race over the winter, but for those of us who aren't: Anybody have a good maintenance fitness plan for the winter months? Ideally I'd like to run 4 days a week with one kind-of-long run on the weekend, and have 2 days of bodyweight strength training I can do at home. I see Hal Higdon has a five day winter plan I can mess around with but was just wondering if anybody else has others that they like.

I know many/most of the people on this board are training for a big runDisney race over the winter, but for those of us who aren't: Anybody have a good maintenance fitness plan for the winter months? Ideally I'd like to run 4 days a week with one kind-of-long run on the weekend, and have 2 days of bodyweight strength training I can do at home. I see Hal Higdon has a five day winter plan I can mess around with but was just wondering if anybody else has others that they like.
FWIW, my own plan is to focus on my aerobic base for 12 weeks following Princess weekend. I will be starting with 50% of my peak mileage and adding 10% each week keeping my heart rate in Zone 2. For me, that’s 138. As far as strength training, I would greatly recommend trying out Centr. I have personally been using it for around three years now because it’s extremely versatile whether you want bodyweight HIIT style workouts or workouts using weights. There’s a cyber Black Friday code that you can use if you like it. In the past, there has been a one week free trial as well. https://centr.com/centrpower

FWIW, my own plan is to focus on my aerobic base for 12 weeks following Princess weekend. I will be starting with 50% of my peak mileage and adding 10% each week keeping my heart rate in Zone 2. For me, that’s 138. As far as strength training, I would greatly recommend trying out Centr. I have personally been using it for around three years now because it’s extremely versatile whether you want bodyweight HIIT style workouts or workouts using weights. There’s a cyber Black Friday code that you can use if you like it. In the past, there has been a one week free trial as well. https://centr.com/centrpower
Oh wow maybe I can get guns like The Mighty Thor!

80/20 endurance have free maintenance plans on their website:
https://www.8020endurance.com/plans/run-plans/?fwp_plan_type=maintenance

I started one of their plans after my marathon, having already done a Fitz plan and knowing the rhythm. They're based on HR monitoring and the 80/20 principle, if you're into that. Not everyone enjoys running by HR. My two cents is that, even if their plans are named after the principle that put Matt Fitzgerald on the map, I don't feel their plans are laidback... So do I like their plans? Yes. Do I love them? No. They're free, so I had nothing to lose by trying one again ;)

ATTQOTThanksgiving :

As a runner, I am thankful that everyone in my family is healthy and injury free. I have two amazing running buddies, DH and DD. Everyone, including the other DD and my mom, kept moving and exercising in 2022.

I feel privileged to have been able to run outside of Canada, and on a beach, for the first time since MW 2020.

I am delighted that race organizations are able to host quasi normal events and that participants and supporters show up with enthusiasm.

I find that everyone in the running community is particularly supportive and encouraging. Thank YOU 😊

80/20 endurance have free maintenance plans on their website:
https://www.8020endurance.com/plans/run-plans/?fwp_plan_type=maintenance

I started one of their plans after my marathon, having already done a Fitz plan and knowing the rhythm. They're based on HR monitoring and the 80/20 principle, if you're into that. Not everyone enjoys running by HR. My two cents is that, even if their plans are named after the principle that put Matt Fitzgerald on the map, I don't feel their plans are laidback... So do I like their plans? Yes. Do I love them? No. They're free, so I had nothing to lose by trying one again ;)
Checking these out now.

@garneska It was great to see you and DH in Piedmont Park on Thursday. It meant a lot to have someone cheering for us! Whiskey is beautiful and a lucky dog. It seems that there was a problem with my bib number at first because I had no results or pictures, but a quick email to ATC and they discovered that when I picked up my bib, the volunteer failed to save it to the system, so it was corrected quickly since the bib read at every mat, but just didn't have a name to associate with the number. First time that has happened!!! Anyway, time was 2:30:xx, just 4 minutes slower than last year, so I was okay with that. Looking forward to seeing you at Marathon Weekend, where I will be taking Goofy EXTREMELY slowly! :-)

November 2022
Running distance: 161.79 miles
Running time: 26:53:29
Average pace: 9:58 per mile
Strength training: 3:26:26
Core: 0:55:38
Total training time: 31:13:17

Numbers continue to climb - December will, barring illness or injury, surely be my biggest month ever as I wrap up marathon training. If I run 167 miles next month (seems very plausible), that will put me over 1,000 for the year!

Edited to fix running time typo 🤣

Last edited:
November running:

Total Distance: 87.5 mi
Average Pace: 10:31/mi

2022 total: 1097.3
This means I'm going to just miss 2022km in 2022. 2022km is about 1255.5 mi and there is no way in heck I am running 160 miles in December with no race on the calendar.
Frankly I'm at a loss what my next goal will be in running... I am in the lottery for Chicago so I guess I'll see how that turns out before filling in the schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter