The Running Thread -- 2022

Ooo, the Epix 2 has a touchscreen. I thought when I looked at it previously it didn't have that. I have a Venu (previously a VA3) and I really love the touchscreen - that's why I've never gone to a Fenix. And I love the amoled screen on the Venu. But ~$1000 is pretty steep. Sigh.

Also, I can't remember what LTE is in this context. To me, it's Local Thermodynamic Equilibrium. LOL.
They introduced a touch screen on the Fenix when they rolled out the Fenix 7.

I run a lot of rails-to-trails, and in the summer, the leaves on the trees block the GPS signal (I'm guessing), so it always takes longer to hit mile markers compared to where I know I hit them in the winter/spring when there is a straight shot to the satellites!
Ooooh, that could totally be what happens where I run! "Summer" lasts a long time here in FL, but there is a stretch of few or no leaves on trees in our short winter... I'll have to pay attention next time to see if it lines up with when my GPS changes!

Ooo, the Epix 2 has a touchscreen. I thought when I looked at it previously it didn't have that. I have a Venu (previously a VA3) and I really love the touchscreen - that's why I've never gone to a Fenix. And I love the amoled screen on the Venu. But ~$1000 is pretty steep. Sigh.

Also, I can't remember what LTE is in this context. To me, it's Local Thermodynamic Equilibrium. LOL.

Yep, as mentioned, LTE as in the same cellular connectivity used in your phone. Garmin released the 945 LTE a couple of years ago with some limited connectivity for a small monthly cost. Friends and family can text your watch, and you can answer with pre-set expressions. It also has emergency calling (the bigger feature I'd be interested in).

The Fenix 7 line and Epix 2 all have touchscreen. It's disabled automatically when you begin a run, although you can change that. It's pretty useful for pinch-zoom on the map. Otherwise I actually prefer using the physical buttons though. Touchscreen on watches never appealed to me, but it's nice that the option exists now for those who want it.

Yep, as mentioned, LTE as in the same cellular connectivity used in your phone. Garmin released the 945 LTE a couple of years ago with some limited connectivity for a small monthly cost. Friends and family can text your watch, and you can answer with pre-set expressions. It also has emergency calling (the bigger feature I'd be interested in).

The Fenix 7 line and Epix 2 all have touchscreen. It's disabled automatically when you begin a run, although you can change that. It's pretty useful for pinch-zoom on the map. Otherwise I actually prefer using the physical buttons though. Touchscreen on watches never appealed to me, but it's nice that the option exists now for those who want it.

You all had to mention about the Fenix 7 having the touchscreen...now I'll have to look at that.

I really like the combination of buttons and touchscreen on the Venu. It has the combination that is most intuitive for me. The VA3, to me, had too few buttons. But doing everything by buttons seems so clunky, IMHO.

Don't care about LTE, then. I always carry my phone. This past Christmas, I finally asked for and received a Garmin In-Reach GPS communication device for my trail runs that may lose cell coverage. DH was getting a bit antsy about safety issues. I do the monthly-type service so that I can turn it off for a bit when I'm in a training cycle that won't take me so remote.

Actually, right now he has all of this information available online - and for FREE!!!!

First off, let me preface this by saying that I was flabbergasted to find that this was available. In the past, it was only in the RunSmart app - i.e. the "paid" portion. It is pure GOLD in my humble opinion and I would highly suggest that everyone grab it/download it since I don't know how long it will be available. And as Steve preaches, for every runner, it's not if you're going to get injured, it's when you're going to get injured.

The video introduction is here:

https://fb.watch/cDRZBzDTLs/

And the link to get the information emailed to you is here:

https://runsmartapp.com/protocol-5

I like the pain scale as it gives me a reference point when I go in and try to explain what is going on, instead of long-winded "well, it kind of hurts, but I'm not sure if it's really pain" descriptions. It also gives me clear(er) guidelines about what is okay to do and what isn't. I know that 0-2 is okay, 3 is getting me into trouble, and 4-5 is shut it down NOW.

One other "lightbulb" moment that I had post-Dopey this year was that every return-to-run after a long race should start with the ladder drill and 10-minute test run. If I can't do that without feeling it, I have no business running. I see some many people do the "I'm going to give it x days and then run" without anything to back up that determination. Science for the win!
Thank you very much for sharing the information about Steve Gonser and his RunSmart protocol. At this point, I'm able to walk up stairs without feeling anything out of the ordinary. So, it's time to do his test drills and then hopefully begin running again after a ten minute test (assuming that I pass the drills, of course). You are definitely right about "Science for the win!"

QOTD: Warm-ups and cool-downs? Do you do them? Sometimes? Every time? Never?

AttQOTD
My running time during the week (especially during the school year) completely revolves around nap time. When I do a treadmill run I always try to walk for 3min before I start my actual workout, and I try to do a couple of minutes of walking at the end. But it's nothing structured. I don't stretch unless I feel sore or tight specifically (except for after runs over like 8mi, which I have few of.) When I run outside I walk to the end of my driveway (0.25mi) and walk down it when my run is complete. I feel like I "should" do more, but adding on other stuff to the beginning or end of the run turns into me trading "running" time for "other stuff" time because I have to cram everything into an hour or less most of the time.

AATQOTD: no. I know I probably should, but I don’t. Workout time is finite, so I don’t choose to spend it on warm-ups/cooldowns.

As I was training for the Dopey last year I found out about WBGT. It irked me that there was no easy way to get the reading. I invented/made an app that will give you the WBGT reading at your phone's location. The WBGT reading is free for everyone, I have a few upgrades that can be paid for, but they are mainly for professionals that use WBGT at work. Currently it is only on iOS, with android to come out in a few weeks. If there would be interest in it I will post a link so you can see it. The link will unlock all the paid stuff for a month.

ATTQOTD: always both! Usually 1km or so to warm up and another one when cooling down. I find I need that time to let my HR increase and decrease gradually.

ATTQOTD: Does sitting wherever I've finished my workout and starting mindlessly into space for 20 minutes count as a cool down? Ha.

But seriously, I always start with a 3 minuteish walk and try to end with a walk as well. I know my new triathlon coach will be incorporating dynamic warm ups. I have also started doing warm-ups and stretches with the Peloton Beginner Strength program and think they are helping a lot, both with my overall mobility and alleviating soreness.

Yes to both. Always. I even do my stretches after races in the finishers area and my warm-ups around the corrals.
For warm-up I walk for about a quarter mile or do little active warmup things like side shuffles, skipping, grapevines if it's cold or my legs feel like they need a little reminder that we are about to exercise. As I near the end of my street I do toe walks, heel walks, these big dynamic skips, a walking hamstring stretch and hip swings cross body and forward-backwards.
I cool down by walking about a quarter mile, longer if my HR still feels too high. Once I am cooled, I stretch. Calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, IT band. Sometimes I foam roll. I used to better about this after every run but lately I do it maybe 1-2 times a week. I need to get better at it as my mileage starts ramping back up.

ATTQOTD: Yes if it's a speed/tempo workout, no if it's just an easy or long run. Besides, I tend to run like a diesel--the first mile of an easy/long run is bound to be naturally 20-30 seconds slower than the others without even trying. Then I can generally get into an even pace rhythm.

Absolutely. I do about 5 minutes of moving around and warming up muscles/joints before I go out the door to get my legs ready for running, and I stretch when I get back. At my physical therapist's suggestion, I've started foam rolling as well.

One time I forgot to stretch after a run and that was a Bad Decision. Lots of stiffness later.

AttQOTD
My running time during the week (especially during the school year) completely revolves around nap time. When I do a treadmill run I always try to walk for 3min before I start my actual workout, and I try to do a couple of minutes of walking at the end. But it's nothing structured. I don't stretch unless I feel sore or tight specifically (except for after runs over like 8mi, which I have few of.) When I run outside I walk to the end of my driveway (0.25mi) and walk down it when my run is complete. I feel like I "should" do more, but adding on other stuff to the beginning or end of the run turns into me trading "running" time for "other stuff" time because I have to cram everything into an hour or less most of the time.
My runs are set up so I have a quarter-mile walk to my usual start point, so that's a good 5 minute warmup. Typically I try to make the run end around the same spot for a 5-minute cooldown, but occasionally it doesn't quite match up, and I may have a shorter cooldown. Especially if it's cold or rainy, in which case I'll often turn around at the start of the middle interval instead of the middle of it. (So if I'm running 8 intervals of 2m run/1m walk, I'll typically turn around 30 seconds into the 4th walk interval, but if the weather's unpleasant I may turn around as soon as the 4th run interval ends.)

I really should add in some stretching, but haven't yet.

ATTQOTD: Always dynamic stretching before and static stretching after, at a minimum. For easy and long run days, I walk until my Garmin syncs, then I go. For hard workout days, I always do 1-1.5 miles slow warming up and 1 mile slow cooling down.

If you think about it, 2 hard running days per week means I'm getting an extra 5 miles for the week at a very slow and easy pace (but still fast enough to be beneficial).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter