The Running Thread -- 2022

I really want that EPIX Gen 2 and came very close to buying it this weekend but I want to wait to see what the 955 offers first.

I picked up the Epix 2. I hate myself and everything I stand for. But I love the watch and the screen! It's particularly helpful running a pre-mapped route in full color with my slightly poor eyesight. Totally unnecessary upgrade, but the new GPS sensors in the watch seem to give me a marked improvement in instant pace over my 945. Though, I do hate that it's missing LTE considering the price.

I really want that EPIX Gen 2 and came very close to buying it this weekend but I want to wait to see what the 955 offers first.

You and me both. I love my 945 but will likely upgrade to either the Epix or the 955. I hope one or both of them are better in open water than the 945. The 920 was rock solid, and yet somehow they can't get back to that level of accuracy.

I ended up going with the Fenix 7 Solar a couple of months ago and have absolutely loved it. It was a massive upgrade on my old 935. The battery lasts FOREVER, which is more important to me than the admittedly gorgeous screen on the Epix 2.

Has anyone stayed at Polynesian (or GF for that matter) and done much running? I have a friend going down there and was wondering if anyone had ever be a bit more creative than running on the path. If someone got up really early, I'm curious if there'd be much issue running on the roads near there. For example Floridian Way, Bear Island, etc. Or even into the parking lot area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I already mentioned ubering elsewhere, but I don't think that he's interested in doing that. thanks

Has anyone stayed at Polynesian (or GF for that matter) and done much running? I have a friend going down there and was wondering if anyone had ever be a bit more creative than running on the path. If someone got up really early, I'm curious if there'd be much issue running on the roads near there. For example Floridian Way, Bear Island, etc. Or even into the parking lot area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I already mentioned ubering elsewhere, but I don't think that he's interested in doing that. thanks

Roads are busy with lots of tourists who don't know where they are going and cast who are in a hurry. And buses. LOTS of buses. Some roads look open on a map but are actually restricted to authorized use only. I don't think it would be safe to run on any roads on property, tbh. The trails are nice and built for a reason. At the Poly you could cover quite a bit of mileage with the paths around to GF, MK and Contemporary, or jump on Disney transportation to Boardwalk, the campground (run the camping loops) or the larger resorts with running paths.

I thought Apple watches had GPS chips now? Take a look at this video by DCRainmaker. It talks about the accuracy of some of the newer watches. This video by him, about the Fitbit Charge 5, andthe GPS issue when the watch is tight are a good indication of how your body will block GPS and make it less accurate.

I've generally found that my Garmins have their GPS pretty much dead on, and everything else...doesn't.

I'm not sure if it's actually better GPS support, better antenna positioning, or doing a better job smoothing out glitches, but whatever it is, I can run a mile with the Garmin and be told I ran 1 mile, and the same mile with my Fitbit Sense, or my previous Android watches, or a phone, will say I ran...oh, maybe 1.1 miles, and when I look at the track it jumps all over the place.

This isn't in anywhere near as difficult an environment as DCRainmaker's stuff - fairly open skies in the Bay Area.

Current Garmin is a Forerunner 235; previous was a Forerunner 35, which my wife now uses. It's not my daily wear device, that's the Fitbit Sense, which goes on the other wrist while running to get the step count.

Agree with this and really liked the solitude of trail running. What I also discovered unfortunately is that my fear of snakes was greater than my love for trail running. Once it started to get warm down here in the early spring I would start seeing them stretched across single track trail sunning themselves (seeing the first snake signaled the end to my trail season until the following winter). My friends remind me that most aren't venomous (although once or twice they were copperheads) and won't bother me, but I decided that if I have a heart attack while running, I want it to be because I was setting a PR or something more exciting than be scared silly by what I thought with my blurry vision was a stick or breaking my ankle trying to set a new high jump record to avoid the things. If anyone can solve that issue for me, I would be a trail convert almost full time!

Attachments

• why-did-it-have-to-be-snakes-indiana-jones.gif
    why-did-it-have-to-be-snakes-indiana-jones.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
We were at Bay Lake Tower for the TOT Ten Miler and I did the walking path route from the Contemporary to the TTC. Taking the longer paths around the resorts, it was about 3 miles each way so I was able to get 6 miles doing an out and back. It was really a cool run especially since I did it during the middle of the day and had to go thru Magic Kingdom security and right past the entry gates on both the out and back.

I know others have talked about running the roads that circle the Magic Kingdom and running them very early AM. I thought about trying it. I had a car and drove those roads to check them out and they are very narrow with no shoulder or sidewalks and quite a bit of traffic in the middle of the day. I get it if you go out early, you probably won't see a ton of traffic but if a car came, you don't have much room to get by. Also just to add, I hate running on grass especially if the ground is wet so I won't jump on the grass if a car is barreling down on me.

Last edited:
I've generally found that my Garmins have their GPS pretty much dead on, and everything else...doesn't.

I'm not sure if it's actually better GPS support, better antenna positioning, or doing a better job smoothing out glitches, but whatever it is, I can run a mile with the Garmin and be told I ran 1 mile, and the same mile with my Fitbit Sense, or my previous Android watches, or a phone, will say I ran...oh, maybe 1.1 miles, and when I look at the track it jumps all over the place.

This isn't in anywhere near as difficult an environment as DCRainmaker's stuff - fairly open skies in the Bay Area.

Current Garmin is a Forerunner 235; previous was a Forerunner 35, which my wife now uses. It's not my daily wear device, that's the Fitbit Sense, which goes on the other wrist while running to get the step count.
How long does your Forerunner last with a full charge? Could it last for a 5+ hour marathon? My Apple Watch Series 5 died on me between miles 24 and 25.

How long does your Forerunner last with a full charge? Could it last for a 5+ hour marathon? My Apple Watch Series 5 died on me between miles 24 and 25.

A Forerunner 235/245 will easily last through a 5+ hour marathon with charge to spare. I was using a 225 during my first marathon and it easily lasted the near 6 hours of the race plus a good bit more. Garmin rates a 235 (older model) at 11 hours with gps and HR active. They rate the 245 at 24 hours under the same conditions. If you were using the 245 for music, as well, that would drop the time, but I'm not sure by how much. As a general rule, Garmin watches have far superior battery life compared to an Apple Watch.

A Forerunner 235/245 will easily last through a 5+ hour marathon with charge to spare. I was using a 225 during my first marathon and it easily lasted the near 6 hours of the race plus a good bit more. Garmin rates a 235 (older model) at 11 hours with gps and HR active. They rate the 245 at 24 hours under the same conditions. If you were using the 245 for music, as well, that would drop the time, but I'm not sure by how much. As a general rule, Garmin watches have far superior battery life compared to an Apple Watch.
I have a Garmin [takes watch off to check] 945. I activate the GPS at least every other day for runs, and (if I remember) for my walks on the days in between runs. With that usage, I typically go 5 or 6 days in between charges. I did the Dopey in Jan, used the 945 to track all 4 races, and if I charged it during that time, I don't recall doing so. I will say that since I was toting my phone with me, I didn't use the MP3 function during the races.

I will note that when the battery indicator turns red and looks low, it still has another day or two of charge. it's when the red indicator is down to a sliver that I know that I need to charge it, and even then it usually has 10-15% battery left. YMMV

Since I've gotten a bit obsessive about tracking my activity, the 945 has become my everyday watch. Absolutely no complains other than picking up a couple of scratches on the face. I don't know what I did to do that, but most wearers will probably be more gentle on their devices than I am. I have an iphone, but when it eventually comes time to replace the 945, it'll likely be with another Garmin watch.

I picked up the Epix 2. I hate myself and everything I stand for. But I love the watch and the screen! It's particularly helpful running a pre-mapped route in full color with my slightly poor eyesight. Totally unnecessary upgrade, but the new GPS sensors in the watch seem to give me a marked improvement in instant pace over my 945. Though, I do hate that it's missing LTE considering the price.

The Epix looks great but I was a little disappointed there weren't more finish options. I don't really want another all black watch but it is the only sapphire option. If the steel option was black and steel instead of slate and came in sapphire I'd go that way.

I was really hoping there would be an all medal case option like the Marq Adventurer. I love the look of that watch and if it wasn't three years old I'd consider it. If they announce a MARQ 2 line before I commit I'd need to think long and hard about it. Keep that Adventurer case, put the OLED screen in it, include the new chips and sensors, and as long as it didn't blow past $2,000 I would really have to think long and hard about that vs the Epix or 955.

GPS... has anyone noticed distance changes at different times of the year? I have a route I run multiple times a week and know the exact point at which I hit 1 mile... in summer, and in winter. Because the two are off by roughly half a block. And that's consistent year after year, for more than a decade. I assume it must have something to do with space movement and satellites and such?

GPS... has anyone noticed distance changes at different times of the year? I have a route I run multiple times a week and know the exact point at which I hit 1 mile... in summer, and in winter. Because the two are off by roughly half a block. And that's consistent year after year, for more than a decade. I assume it must have something to do with space movement and satellites and such?
oh, weird. I have not noticed a difference. At least not a predictable one. Little bumps one way or another from day to day but nothing significant.

I've certainly seen gps discrepancies, but nothing predictable like that. That's really interesting.

I run a lot of rails-to-trails, and in the summer, the leaves on the trees block the GPS signal (I'm guessing), so it always takes longer to hit mile markers compared to where I know I hit them in the winter/spring when there is a straight shot to the satellites!

Ooo, the Epix 2 has a touchscreen. I thought when I looked at it previously it didn't have that. I have a Venu (previously a VA3) and I really love the touchscreen - that's why I've never gone to a Fenix. And I love the amoled screen on the Venu. But ~$1000 is pretty steep. Sigh.

Also, I can't remember what LTE is in this context. To me, it's Local Thermodynamic Equilibrium. LOL.

Ooo, the Epix 2 has a touchscreen. I thought when I looked at it previously it didn't have that. I have a Venu (previously a VA3) and I really love the touchscreen - that's why I've never gone to a Fenix. And I love the amoled screen on the Venu. But ~$1000 is pretty steep. Sigh.

Also, I can't remember what LTE is in this context. To me, it's Local Thermodynamic Equilibrium. LOL.
LTE in this context is cellular data & connectivity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter