• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread -- 2022

This whole treadmill discussion is interesting to me, as I'm the opposite. I run on my treadmill 90% of the time, and only really consider running outside if it's 50 or below. Snow? I'm DEFINITELY outside! Of course, it helps that Salt Lake snow is nice and dry (no ice) and the street crews keep things nice and clear most of the time.

I use this Runners World calculator/quiz/form if I'm ever not sure what to put on: https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20803133/what-to-wear/

Well after the warm W&D weekend followed by an unseasonably warm Richmond half last weekend, I have returned to reality. Here I am firmly planted in winter rearranging my run schedule because the WC is 3 degrees. UGH! I moved stuff around and did a 5 miler today instead of the 10 I had scheduled. I had frostbite last year while MW training and am doing everything in my power to avoid that this year.

I was dressed a little warm on top with a short sleeve shirt, 1/4 zip and high vis jacket. Tights and pants, wool Bombas on the bottom. I have a new fleece headband which I topped with a Nike dri-fit gator pulled up over my nose and think I did alright protecting my face. WIN!

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so I’ll do the 10 miles then. Pray for sunshine!

Staying on the subject of cold weather running attire, I could use some advice.

I've only been training for races since I signed up for 2020 Star Wars, and being in Central Texas, I haven't had a run in this weather before. I would like to get in a long run this weekend, but the weather tomorrow is supposed to be 40-45º F, light rain, and winds 5-10 mph, gusting to 15 mph. (Which is a little better than today's weather at least.)

I typically run in shorts and a tech tee. Last weekend it was cloudy and around 50º and I was comfortable running in a runDisney long sleeve tee. I run a 3-mile loop with my car parked along the route, so I can stash supplies/extra clothes there (very important for hydration in the summer!). Any advice would be appreciated!

I just can't find gloves/mittens that keep my hands warm. As I type this, I see an ad on my screen for rechargeable heated gloves from Weston. Maybe I need to look into those?
I had the same issue for many, many years. I tried more than 15-20 gloves over the years, and my hands were still always cold (really poor circulation). I purchased these Smartwool mittens a couple years ago, and now run down to 10°F weather with comfy hands:

Smartwool Cozy Mitten https://a.co/d/d1DpMEA

Race Report: Philadelphia (Dietz & Watson) Half Marathon
November 19, 2022

A Goal: sub-2 hours
B Goal: PR (previous PR 2:05:08)
C Goal: nothing; really it was sub-2 or bust

(Skippable) Background: Was running with a friend who was going to pace me to a sub 2-hr half. He doesn't live here, he hadn't been registered for the race, but when I asked him (impulsively) if he would pace me ~someday~ he agreed and a few days later asked when my next race was. I had been thinking this was more of a future thing: my current PR was 2:05:08 and that had been a huge leap from my previous PR of about 2:15, but he is a Man of Action and said No Time like the Present so we were set for this November. I asked Billy for a somewhat aggressive training plan to get me ready -- as I said this friend was traveling here just for me and I didn't want to disappoint him. The pressure was on me today, at least in my mind. Training went fine, I hit all my paces in my workouts, but really had no idea how this was going to happen.

Freezing cold this morning. Forecast was high 20's and it felt cold. For all of you interested in how people dress for races in cold weather, I wore bike shorts and a very thin long sleeve layer with a short sleeve shirt over it. I did have throwaway sweats however. We left my apartment about 6AM for a 7AM start. It's a little less than a mile from my place to the start area, and we walk/jogged that but there was a wall of people waiting to get through security. It took us a while to get through the line but one good thing was that there were a lot of porta potties outside the secure area so we were able to take care of that with a short wait before getting on line. The hold up seemed to be that they were looking in every gear check bag and then putting a wristband on the bag to indicate it was checked. That took a lot of time and surely slowed the line way down. Don't know if they will choose to do that tomorrow for the full. Still we had time to check our gear check bags and get in the corrals no problem.

They started the wheelchair athletes on time, I'm pretty sure, but there were staggered corral starts after that. No idea why they took so long in between each corral but when it's freezing it's not ideal. Anyway everybody was in good spirits. The announcers mentioned our National League Champion Phillies and our (almost) undefeated Eagles and the crowd was in good spirits. Eventually we were set off and it was now or never for my sub 2 hours.

I am a "warmer upper" and it takes me a few miles to get comfortable at race pace. I told my friend but he really wasn't having any of that. I had told him that my problems achieving PRs is mostly mental, I just decide I can't do something before the race starts, or I just quit on a pace when it gets hard, and I miss my goals. So he was determined to just get me on a steady pace and stay there. I decided my strategy should be just to follow him and not look at my watch AT ALL. The first 7 miles are pretty flat and scenic (City Hall, Constitution Center, Independence Hall, South Street) and I was feeling good although the pace felt very aggressive compared to my normal half pace. I had no idea how I would hold this for the whole race.

519A2699-CE87-4757-B65D-E40EFB37E112.jpeg

Photo: Me & friend looking happy before the hills

The wheels started coming off mentally and a bit physically at the first hill at mile 8-9. The hard (for me) pace had taken its toll and I got very fatigued on the hill (it's my weakness) I complained a little to my friend (he was prepared for this, I told him to ignore me if I complained) and he gently encouraged me to get in a rhythm with my breathing again when the hill was over. I continued to complain quietly, knowing there was another hill coming up within a mile. The pace still felt so fast but I didn't look at my watch. That next hill really killed me. I pretty much actually whined at my friend and said I needed to walk a little on the next hill (this turned out to be my slowest mile by over a minute, maybe a minute and a half). I could tell my friend was getting a little worried about our goal at that point. The race has a little loop in Fairmount Park here, and at the end of the loop you can see people coming into the loop (where you already were) at a higher elevation. I was so mentally shot that I believed that the people I was looking at were a future part of the race instead of the past, and my heart sank. How can I climb another hill to get where they are? It was such a relief to realize that, no, we were actually heading into a downhill and then a very flat Kelly Drive finish near the river.

That last 1.5 miles were so hard. It was the most I had ever given in a half marathon by far. I decided to look at my watch: We were definitely going to make it! I was totally gassed and slowed tremendously and really wanted to walk but now I know what it feels like to really give it all you got in the race. I had nothing left when we crossed that line. Fun fact for folks running the full tomorrow: about 200 yards before the finish there is a street sign (that is just there all the time, not for the race) that says WRONG WAY. It does not apply to you. I was in such a mental blur that for a half second I almost stopped and turned around because I must be going in the wrong direction.

Official finish time: 1:57:41. I still can't believe it! And as a bonus, it turned out that my friend had taken me out a bit too fast because my Garmin also gave me an unofficial PR in the 5k, 10k, and half marathon all today! I am so thankful to him for coming out here and doing this for me. And putting up with my whining mid-race. I'm very sore already but it's totally worth it. And anybody who is on the fence about running this weekend, it's a truly great course and a great race.
Edited to add that I thanked Billy in a DM, but once again, I've progressed so much with his plans I just want to publicly thank him too :cutie:

Last edited:

This whole treadmill discussion is interesting to me, as I'm the opposite. I run on my treadmill 90% of the time, and only really consider running outside if it's 50 or below. Snow? I'm DEFINITELY outside! Of course, it helps that Salt Lake snow is nice and dry (no ice) and the street crews keep things nice and clear most of the time.

I use this Runners World calculator/quiz/form if I'm ever not sure what to put on: https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20803133/what-to-wear/
I use that site too! Sometimes I add an extra layer, because I do not like being cold, but it never fails that after I start running, I realize I have one layer too many on - and that the site was right. 😂
I had the same issue for many, many years. I tried more than 15-20 gloves over the years, and my hands were still always cold (really poor circulation). I purchased these Smartwool mittens a couple years ago, and now run down to 10°F weather with comfy hands:

Smartwool Cozy Mitten https://a.co/d/d1DpMEA
Are they windproof?

November 19, 2022

Official finish time: 1:57:41
Way to go!!!

Starting my 5-10-23 mile weekend a couple of days early was a good call.

This is what it looked like when I started my 23 mile run.

316301801_10218544571924135_6724268996099648511_n.jpg

This is what it looked like when I left the gym after finishing up the last 8+ miles of my run on the track.

316412225_10218544573324170_216072318829188272_n.jpg

This is what it looked outside my door today with "only" 2 feet of snow - as opposed to the 6.5 feet of snow that they got 20 minutes south of me.

316430116_10218544574844208_8426864636655590674_n.jpg

One more long run weekend to do before Marathon Weekend. Yikes, this whole marathon/Dopey thing is starting to get real.

November 19, 2022

A Goal: sub-2 hours
B Goal: PR (previous PR 2:05:08)
C Goal: nothing; really it was sub-2 or bust

(Skippable) Background: Was running with a friend who was going to pace me to a sub 2-hr half. He doesn't live here, he hadn't been registered for the race, but when I asked him (impulsively) if he would pace me ~someday~ he agreed and a few days later asked when my next race was. I had been thinking this was more of a future thing: my current PR was 2:05:08 and that had been a huge leap from my previous PR of about 2:15, but he is a Man of Action and said No Time like the Present so we were set for this November. I asked Billy for a somewhat aggressive training plan to get me ready -- as I said this friend was traveling here just for me and I didn't want to disappoint him. The pressure was on me today, at least in my mind. Training went fine, I hit all my paces in my workouts, but really had no idea how this was going to happen.

Freezing cold this morning. Forecast was high 20's and it felt cold. For all of you interested in how people dress for races in cold weather, I wore bike shorts and a very thin long sleeve layer with a short sleeve shirt over it. I did have throwaway sweats however. We left my apartment about 6AM for a 7AM start. It's a little less than a mile from my place to the start area, and we walk/jogged that but there was a wall of people waiting to get through security. It took us a while to get through the line but one good thing was that there were a lot of porta potties outside the secure area so we were able to take care of that with a short wait before getting on line. The hold up seemed to be that they were looking in every gear check bag and then putting a wristband on the bag to indicate it was checked. That took a lot of time and surely slowed the line way down. Don't know if they will choose to do that tomorrow for the full. Still we had time to check our gear check bags and get in the corrals no problem.

They started the wheelchair athletes on time, I'm pretty sure, but there were staggered corral starts after that. No idea why they took so long in between each corral but when it's freezing it's not ideal. Anyway everybody was in good spirits. The announcers mentioned our National League Champion Phillies and our (almost) undefeated Eagles and the crowd was in good spirits. Eventually we were set off and it was now or never for my sub 2 hours.

I am a "warmer upper" and it takes me a few miles to get comfortable at race pace. I told my friend but he really wasn't having any of that. I had told him that my problems achieving PRs is mostly mental, I just decide I can't do something before the race starts, or I just quit on a pace when it gets hard, and I miss my goals. So he was determined to just get me on a steady pace and stay there. I decided my strategy should be just to follow him and not look at my watch AT ALL. The first 7 miles are pretty flat and scenic (City Hall, Constitution Center, Independence Hall, South Street) and I was feeling good although the pace felt very aggressive compared to my normal half pace. I had no idea how I would hold this for the whole race.

View attachment 719970

Photo: Me & friend looking happy before the hills

The wheels started coming off mentally and a bit physically at the first hill at mile 8-9. The hard (for me) pace had taken its toll and I got very fatigued on the hill (it's my weakness) I complained a little to my friend (he was prepared for this, I told him to ignore me if I complained) and he gently encouraged me to get in a rhythm with my breathing again when the hill was over. I continued to complain quietly, knowing there was another hill coming up within a mile. The pace still felt so fast but I didn't look at my watch. That next hill really killed me. I pretty much actually whined at my friend and said I needed to walk a little on the next hill (this turned out to be my slowest mile by over a minute, maybe a minute and a half). I could tell my friend was getting a little worried about our goal at that point. The race has a little loop in Fairmount Park here, and at the end of the loop you can see people coming into the loop (where you already were) at a higher elevation. I was so mentally shot that I believed that the people I was looking at were a future part of the race instead of the past, and my heart sank. How can I climb another hill to get where they are? It was such a relief to realize that, no, we were actually heading into a downhill and then a very flat Kelly Drive finish near the river.

That last 1.5 miles were so hard. It was the most I had ever given in a half marathon by far. I decided to look at my watch: We were definitely going to make it! I was totally gassed and slowed tremendously and really wanted to walk but now I know what it feels like to really give it all you got in the race. I had nothing left when we crossed that line. Fun fact for folks running the full tomorrow: about 200 yards before the finish there is a street sign (that is just there all the time, not for the race) that says WRONG WAY. It does not apply to you. I was in such a mental blur that for a half second I almost stopped and turned around because I must be going in the wrong direction.

Official finish time: 1:57:41. I still can't believe it! And as a bonus, it turned out that my friend had taken me out a bit too fast because my Garmin also gave me an unofficial PR in the 5k, 10k, and half marathon all today! I am so thankful to him for coming out here and doing this for me. And putting up with my whining mid-race. I'm very sore already but it's totally worth it. And anybody who is on the fence about running this weekend, it's a truly great course and a great race.
Edited to add that I thanked Billy in a DM, but once again, I've progressed so much with his plans I just want to publicly thank him too :cutie:
Congrats on the new PR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter