The Running Thread -- 2022

Question for cold-weather runners who use Shokz: how do you keep your ears warm? I’m having trouble coordinating a hat or ear band while wearing my Shokz since they aren’t flush at the back of my head
I'm in the "band tip up" camp when I wear them with my fleece headband.

I should also add that I have a somewhat shaped (as in it gets wider at the ears and tapers a bit in the front and back) fleece headband that also has adjustable Velcro, so I can make it a tiny bit more loose to accommodate my shokz. With my UA headband, it’s a bit more uncomfortable because it’s very tight and I have a big head/lots of hair.

Dressing for the weather is so interesting depending on where everyone lives. I live in Pennsylvania, so we unfortunately experience all the seasons and types of precipitation!

For 50 and over, I wear shorts and a tank top.
For 40 - 50, I wear shorts and a t-shirt.
For 30 - 40, it depends on if it is sunny or if it is cloudy and windy. Most likely capris and a long-sleeve (or t-shirt with light coat). But if sunny and closer to 40, I'll wear shorts with long sleeves. I prefer shorts.
For 20 - 30, capris, long sleeve shirt, light coat, gloves, ear band.
For 10 - 20, tights, pullover, coat (light vs heavier depends on wind), gloves (maybe two pair), ear band.
For 0 - 10, treadmill.

:rotfl2:
I am southern bred so
Over 80 is shorts and a tank top
Over 60 is shorts and a t-shirt
Over 50 is shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt
Over 40 is shorts with two shirts
Over 30 we are adding hats and gloves; although the treadmill is calling.
Under 30 unless I have to is inside.
I do have tights which I run in when needed. Coldest race to date was 19 degrees with a slight wind.

I ran this morning outside in 31 degrees. I am a whimp. Good thing I live in Atlanta now where winter is not as cold. I grew up in the north suburbs of Chicago near @Kerry1957. I remember running track in high school in the snow. I am glad we have better gear to run in now. Tomorrow should be closer to 40,

I tip the "band" of my shokz up so it's above my headband. It's not *as* comfortable as when I use them for "normal" wear, but I pretty much hate running in silence, so it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

I actually do the opposite of @Herding_Cats and let my ear band push the back of the Shokz down so it's sitting kind of on my neck. Also not perfect but it was working okay for me.

I do the same. Can't say it's the most comfortable with a benie on, but works. Although I hadn't thought of the "tip it up" method and may try that this week to compare.

I'm in the "band tip up" camp when I wear them with my fleece headband.
Thanks everyone! Tipping the band up worked great when I tested it with both my hi-vis beanie and one of my comfort visors

Atlanta Thanksgiving Half morning forecast is now 47 and no rain, thank the Lord. I’ve been worried with the freezing temps earlier in the week and a forecast of rain possible earlier. So I’ll probably wear capris, long sleeves that can be pushed up as temps rise, a paper Atlanta Track Club throwaway jacket to start, buff around my neck that can turn into ear band or wrist hankie as needed, and running cap. No gloves, but I will cover my hands with long sleeves for the first mile or so. I’ll be taking it slow as a Goofy training run, and because I no longer have a “fast gear.” And I’ll be having family over for Thanksgiving turkey and fixings on Friday!

OT response: Yes---but don't expect any wondrous changes at the parks. It's all about pleasing the investors, and with Disney+ experiencing larger than expected losses, ESPN still murky and the stock price down after the last investor's call, they are unlikely to want less profit out of their cash cow.

And now....off for a very cold run..
Yep, Iger won’t do anything to reduce profit, but will provide a more pleasing “face” and provide distractions to the high prices, like start the Dining Plan back and really promote Tron, and other stuff that is already in the works.

BTW I saw that Genie+ was up to $29 per person yesterday. Surge pricing at its best (worst?)

West-Central Floridian dressing for the running weather…

100* and up: I’m out - if I can’t get it done outdoors before sunrise, I’m on the treadmill or in the pool.
85* and up: running skirt and bra, visor
75-85*: skirt and tank, visor
65-75*: light capris and short sleeve tee - long sleeves if I’m in the dark and humidity is low (which feels a lot cooler), visor
55-65*: light tights and long sleeves, hat
50-55*: tights, short sleeve tee, long sleeve jacket, gloves, hat, ear cover
40-50*: thermal tights, long sleeve tee, thermal jacket, Buff, gloves, hat, ear cover
30-40*: thermal wind pants (if temp is that low here, it’s a major cold front which = wind), long sleeve tee, wool jacket, thermal Buff, knit hat, mittens
Under 30*: NO. Unless it’s a race, in which case I’m wearing 100 layers.

The vast majority of my running clothes are very lightweight - the kind of capris/tights/long sleeves people in other climates would wear in spring or summer. Because I’m in FL and it seemed silly to buy anything warmer, so I just suffered through cold runs. Last year, I finally bought some real cold weather items - thermal tights and wind pants, wool jacket - and, though it’s only a handful of days I need them, what a pleasant difference they made! Worth every cent I paid.

@Disney at Heart are you guys coming to atlanta on wed and staying in a hotel? I am not sure i will get Whisky out for the half on Thursday. I am a sap and i like to watch the Macy's thanksgiving day parade. I guess it depends how early i wake up. I switched my run days this week so i took Thursday off instead of Wednesday.

@Disney at Heart are you guys coming to atlanta on wed and staying in a hotel? I am not sure i will get Whisky out for the half on Thursday. I am a sap and i like to watch the Macy's thanksgiving day parade. I guess it depends how early i wake up. I switched my run days this week so i took Thursday off instead of Wednesday.
Yes! Tackling Atlanta traffic tomorrow and overnighting at Marriott Marquis. Then heading home right after the race to get home for family time. I’m in wave D, Judd’s in C of A-E, so a late start and slow pace means showering fast to check out on time!

@Disney at Heart checked the map. Start is 7:30 and you enter piedmont park at mile 6 and then across 10th past 7. So what would be your anticipated time to mile 6. I figure you start by 7:45 so 9ish. Might try and get out to see you. Will let you know.

looked closer. You will be in the park right by me about mile 6.5. Will try and bring a whisky to see you.

she looks like this now
DEC41C71-FC2B-45E7-A766-FF92940A1E50.jpeg

Last edited:
QOTD
Thankfulness: Running Edition. What are you thankful for this year in regards to your running journey?

ATTQOTD: For this year I'm thankful for my various online running communities and the way that they normalize running and everything that surrounds it. I'm thankful that PT is a common suggestion and not something that's for people with "real injuries" and that I seem to be about 95% over my PF issues as a result of seeking treatment. I'm thankful that we discuss long distance running as something that is reasonable and attainable and not just for "real runners." And I'm thankful for my family putting up with my continued deep-dive into running this year (and I'm sure I need to find some new topics to talk about next year.)

I'm also thankful that my husband hasn't noticed that other pair of new running shoes that have been sitting in the basement. :magnify:

Has anyone experienced a spike in HR for a few days with their Garmin Forerunner 235? My last two runs have shown my HR being significantly higher than similar effort level runs in the past, and without the run feeling harder/more challenging. I'm wondering if a software update maybe adjusted something with how it is measuring?

ATTQOTD: I’m thankful for how much better I feel since I started running last year. I’m also thankful to have a job with a generous PTO policy to allow me to take multiple runDisney trips and still have time off for at-home activities. I’m thankful for my grandparents and their encouragement and understanding of how much of my time is dedicated to training.

ATTQOTD: Mostly, I’m thankful to be able to run. I had some severe hip/knee pain earlier this year but was able to remove that with a new warm up routine and some strength exercises.
I’m also very thankful that I got to run with my mom for her first half marathon. That experience is something we’ll both cherish for many years.

Has anyone experienced a spike in HR for a few days with their Garmin Forerunner 235? My last two runs have shown my HR being significantly higher than similar effort level runs in the past, and without the run feeling harder/more challenging. I'm wondering if a software update maybe adjusted something with how it is measuring?
Does that model have HRV or body battery tracking? Is there any difference there? Sometimes a change in HR like that means I'm about to come down with an illness. A cold or Covid. It's scary how it can predict it without me noticing any symptoms

Anyone ever dealt with posterior tibial tendonitis or tarsal tunnel syndrome? Did a 14 mile run on Sunday and felt really good afterward. Later on that evening, after vegging on the couch watching football, got up to go downstairs and had a pain near the inside ankle bone on my right foot. It is kind of down and to the rear of the bone. It actually hurt to put any pressure down on my foot. It felt like something was flamed up in there. Been doing some research and it sounds like it could either be posterior tibial tendonitis or tarsal tunnel syndrome. In reading about both it sounds like the resolution is calf stretching, some strengthening exercises using bands, and some ortho inserts.

ATTQOTD: Sigh, honestly, not much this year. It has been a cluster of major (broken bone) and minor (too many strains/aches to mention). I had sorta made peace with the idea of either racing for "age-group fitness comparison" results or not racing at all. But now, it seems like I can't even make it part way through any plan without something going south.

I guess I'm glad I can still run, but it seems pretty limiting to be stuck in an "every other day, 3-5 mile" rut.

And now, on to someone else who can provide a more positive answer!

Does that model have HRV or body battery tracking? Is there any difference there? Sometimes a change in HR like that means I'm about to come down with an illness. A cold or Covid. It's scary how it can predict it without me noticing any symptoms
Good thought. Luckily I am still feeling OK. The 235 does not have a body battery.

My easy run HR is often upper 120s to maybe 130. It was 155 yesterday. Today's run was much harder -- but still didn't feel that challenging -- and my HR was 159.

I did have the latest COVID vaccine on Sunday, and the higher heart rate has been in the two runs after that. So maybe that has something to do with it?

Good thought. Luckily I am still feeling OK. The 235 does not have a body battery.

My easy run HR is often upper 120s to maybe 130. It was 155 yesterday. Today's run was much harder -- but still didn't feel that challenging -- and my HR was 159.

I did have the latest COVID vaccine on Sunday, and the higher heart rate has been in the two runs after that. So maybe that has something to do with it?
Could be the vaccine. I would listen to your body. If you are feeling good, keep at it. If you start feeling off or tired, maybe back off a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter