The Running Thread - 2021

Greetings y'all. Just been catching up. My running has taken an unfortunate pause as I fell down the stairs and broke my arm. I initially thought I was going to require surgical repair. After a second opinion, I'm getting an MRI to see if it can be treated nonoperatively. In the meantime, I'm in sling and trying to get in some walking miles. I missed a race for this, and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I use my running to manage stress, and I really miss that. Thinking of trying the stationary bike at the gym. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to get a regular or sports bra on. I've just been wearing soft/ stretchy ones so far, so that's a barrier. I've literally ben trying to think up a way to run in my sling, which is probably nuts.

If anyone has tips or tricks for dealing with something like this, Ill take them:).

Greetings y'all. Just been catching up. My running has taken an unfortunate pause as I fell down the stairs and broke my arm. I initially thought I was going to require surgical repair. After a second opinion, I'm getting an MRI to see if it can be treated nonoperatively. In the meantime, I'm in sling and trying to get in some walking miles. I missed a race for this, and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I use my running to manage stress, and I really miss that. Thinking of trying the stationary bike at the gym. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to get a regular or sports bra on. I've just been wearing soft/ stretchy ones so far, so that's a barrier. I've literally ben trying to think up a way to run in my sling, which is probably nuts.

If anyone has tips or tricks for dealing with something like this, Ill take them:).

Would a bra that zips in front work?
https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/fastforward-zip-running-bra/300637.html

adidas also has bras for women recovering from a mastectomy. It's designed to make it easy to put on

If anyone is using MathSport shoes, they are changing their line and rebranding to become YUL. Both are in sale right now. I have ordered a pair to try.

ETA: They are a Canadian brand. I do not know if they ship to USA.

CRAW Team Opening
As some of you probably know, we have a DISboard running only CRAW team (includes walking, hiking, and snowshoeing mileage as well), and we currently have one spot open on our awesome team. Our team name is "It's a Small World," and we recently started Region 6 (out of a total of 12). We also just crossed the halfway point overall from a mileage perspective. Anybody interested in joining our team? We do have a thread on this forum if you want to read about the race or our progress so far: Circumpolar Race Around the World (CRAW).

Just for some context, we started CRAW on 9/1/2020, and based on our progress-to-date, our estimated finish date will likely be in March 2022. That being said, each team member has the option to re-up at the end of each region ($40 registration per region), so you are not signing on for the rest of the race, just one region at a time. Speaking of progress, our team average is about 54 miles per day (10 team members), but we have various running levels on the team with a spread of about 20-60 miles per week. BTW, speed doesn't matter at all; it's all about mileage.

If you are interested in joining, please PM me.

just tossing it out there (since summer is upon us) that sierratradingpost has nathan hydration vests on their site for $100 (bottles, no bladder) and $120 (bladder, no bottles.) Cheaper than amazon, and it looks like nathan just release a new model so I'm assuming these ones have been getting clearanced out from retailers.

Feeling pretty bummed this morning... I just started training last week for my first marathon. Two weeks ago, I learned that the one I had signed up for was cancelled, so I signed up for another one a week earlier. Well guess what... Learned this morning that it's been cancelled as well! My motivation is gonna take a hit if I don't have any major race to aim towards in the fall :(

Feeling pretty bummed this morning... I just started training last week for my first marathon. Two weeks ago, I learned that the one I had signed up for was cancelled, so I signed up for another one a week earlier. Well guess what... Learned this morning that it's been cancelled as well! My motivation is gonna take a hit if I don't have any major race to aim towards in the fall :(
You'll find one! Races are coming back all the time! Surprised to hear they are canceling things now actually

Montréal canceled their September 25-26th races today. DD feels deflated: Last days of class and no goal race to look forward to.

If any of my Ghost-wearing peeps need to stock up, the Ghost 13s have dropped in price in advance of the 14s being released. Omega Sports, a reliable NC-based store, has a coupon for $35 off $150 online right now that stacks with the price drop and has free drop-shipping from Brooks.

If any of my Ghost-wearing peeps need to stock up, the Ghost 13s have dropped in price in advance of the 14s being released.

I got both of my older boys fitted for running shoes on Friday, and they were both out in ghost 13s. That explains why they were on sale. Too bad I can’t stock up for them. 😕

Don't let it get to you. If you just started training you are looking for a fall marathon I'd assume. There will be plenty of races this fall. I just popped into Running in the USA and their Septamber calendar has 20+ races each weekend. Pick a date, select a race in a place you want to visit, and use it for motivation.

Don't let it get to you. If you just started training you are looking for a fall marathon I'd assume. There will be plenty of races this fall. I just popped into Running in the USA and their Septamber calendar has 20+ races each weekend. Pick a date, select a race in a place you want to visit, and use it for motivation.
Thank you for the encouragement but @azrivest and I are in Canada with pretty strict rules for gatherings.

As an example, for those who follow hockey, LA had 18k supporters while Mtl has an increased cap of 3500 for attendance. Because of that, race organizers are starting to cancel Fall races in our region.

The best options for us at this point is looking for small races that might happen in the Fall or hope to be able to travel to the USA if/when the border opens. It is just difficult to commit to any sort of travel or training plans.

Thank you for the encouragement but @azrivest and I are in Canada with pretty strict rules for gatherings.

As an example, for those who follow hockey, LA had 18k supporters while Mtl has an increased cap of 3500 for attendance. Because of that, race organizers are starting to cancel Fall races in our region.

The best options for us at this point is looking for small races that might happen in the Fall or hope to be able to travel to the USA if/when the border opens. It is just difficult to commit to any sort of travel or training plans.
Another Canadian here. Although we have been pretty restricted as of late, things are starting to move at a blistering pace. Restrictions are starting to be lifted, second doses of vaccine are becoming available earlier. I have all hopes that we can get are act together and be part of live races and travel by mid-summer. <<positive thoughts>>

I have a race scheduled for September on the calendar and it is still planned as live at this point!

I didn't realize that. I can't imagine the border will still be closed this fall but you never know. That begs the question, which will happen first:
  • rD announces a race schedule
  • Canada announces the border opening back up

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter