The Running Thread - 2021

I go through 6-7 pairs of shoes per year, so I wholeheartedly endorse the “stock up” strategy. In order to keep costs under control I typically buy one model year behind. When a new model is about to be released, I’ll buy a pair of the current model and “audition” them to make sure they still work for me. If they do, I’ll stock up on them as soon as they hit clearance.

I just got done with that process, as a matter of fact. Ghost 14s are due to release in July, so I bought a pair of Ghost 13s in May and put them into the rotation. They work just fine, so I’ve been stocking up on them using a combination of the clearance price and local running store coupons. In addition to the 2 pairs of Ghosts I currently run in, I have 1 pair each of Ghost 11 and 12 and 4 pairs of Ghost 13s in the closet. That’ll get me through to next May/June when I’ll start the whole process over again.

Same.

Having said that, after 28 pairs of Ghosts, I'm thinking about changing. My feet have been beat up lately. The current pair has 230 miles on them. I usually get 300 miles. It's possible they are worn out as I keep them on for post-run errands, so they have dozens of unlogged grocery store miles on them.

Thinking of giving the Glycerin a try or Hoka. No idea which Hoka to look at. Or maybe give the Ghost one more shot and see if a new pair fixes me.

I participate in both the stock up and rotate shoes programs. I add new ones to the rotation when my current pair gets to 300 miles or so, and return them when they reach 400-450. I’m currently buying the Kayano 27s in bulk because they’re on sakes after the introduction of the 28s. Still have two of the 26s in the closet too. :)

Same.

Having said that, after 28 pairs of Ghosts, I'm thinking about changing. My feet have been beat up lately. The current pair has 230 miles on them. I usually get 300 miles. It's possible they are worn out as I keep them on for post-run errands, so they have dozens of unlogged grocery store miles on them.

Thinking of giving the Glycerin a try or Hoka. No idea which Hoka to look at. Or maybe give the Ghost one more shot and see if a new pair fixes me.

I went the opposite direction with my shoe choice a few years ago. I was in Glycerins for years, but was only able to get 220-230 miles out of them. Then when the Glycerin 14s came out, they had just gotten too soft/cushioned for me and I had to switch to the Ghosts. I was pleasantly surprised to get 300-350 miles/pair out of the Ghosts.

Running stores have periodically tried to get me to switch to Hoka, but something in their structure makes me supinate to the point it feels like I’m going to roll my ankle in them. Definitely try them out before committing to them. I think their closest analogue to the Ghosts/Glycerins (neutral, cushioned) are the Clifton. Good luck!

Oh man. I looked at the new balance website and now I want a pair of 880s they have on there that of course is out of stock in my size.

It’s been awhile since I commented, but definitely stalking for updates/insider info lately… We’re hopeful for a Dopey repeat!

Along the shoe line though, has anyone tried the Glycerin 19s? I took a break after bad reviews of the 17s or 18s I think. I’m currently in a pair of Ghost 13s. They’re fine but just that. I can’t say I love them, whereas I loved previous Glycerins. So Cal finally (at least for now) has the green light for races, so starting September our schedule is packed with reschedules. I definitely feel the need for a shoe I love! Even more random, has anyone tried the Brooks Aurora-BL? My curiosity is piqued, but the $200 price tag?!? Ooof!😵‍💫🤯

Same.

I was not an huge fan of the glycerins, but have run in ghosts for years. I do rotate with two different Hoka shoes Cliftons and Speedgoats. I like them for longer runs on road and trail respectively. Hoka is a totally different feel though. Good luck in the exploration.

YMMV, but I like to buy new shoes when I have 250-300 miles on my current shoes (although that's probs too early since I'm a low-mileage runner) and start rotating them in once I have 300 miles on the old shoes. Although if I'm wearing 2 different styles, I'll start rotating in the new shoes a little later (like 325-350) just because I don't really run enough to justify 3 pairs of shoes at once. And I like to have 50-75 miles on new shoes before I'll race in them, and I prefer not to do a longer race in shoes that have over 300 miles (although I will do like a 5K).

On a separate note: has anyone tried any of the new Puma running shoes? My all-time favorite everyday sneakers were Puma running shoes (this was before I ran) and now that they're getting back into the running game, I'm kinda tempted to try them out.

So TM users.....when you got your treadmills, did you "install" them yourself or have it done for you? Did you have it shipped to house or picked up?

After a T+D run of 150 today, I was thinking more about getting a TM (to run inn my lovely cool basement). BestBuy has Wirecutter's pick (Proform 505CST) on sale for $600. But they (and everyone else) seem to charge $200+ to deliver and setup. Just wondering how tricky it would be to fetch one and install....with my DH doing most of the heavy work.

Caveat: I don't like the high drop of the Ghost, so it's Glycerin all the way for me. But I loooove the Glycerin 18s: not squishy, but better cushioned than the Ghost 12. Soft, flexible upper. No apparent bias, medial or lateral. True neutral. I'm also doing short runs in Hoka Rincon: they have the same issue I've had with other Hokas with a heel cup that's too deep for my feet, but I just used craft foam to make little heel lifts and it works. LOVE the ride of the Rincon! The fit is still a bit too canoe-y than I like, without as much width up front as the Glycerin, and the upper's not as flexible, but they're really fun to run in up to about 6 miles.

So TM users.....when you got your treadmills, did you "install" them yourself or have it done for you? Did you have it shipped to house or picked up?

After a T+D run of 150 today, I was thinking more about getting a TM (to run inn my lovely cool basement). BestBuy has Wirecutter's pick (Proform 505CST) on sale for $600. But they (and everyone else) seem to charge $200+ to deliver and setup. Just wondering how tricky it would be to fetch one and install....with my DH doing most of the heavy work.
I had my NordicTrack delivered, but I assembled it. I don’t remember the delivery fee, but it may have been included in the cost?? I can’t remember. But I think assembly would have cost $200-250, if I wanted someone else to do it.

I am currently in Glycerin 19s. I honestly don't know how to rate them.

I like them better than the NB840s I was in for the last few years. I tried to move to the NB1080s, but I was getting a constant heel slip when I walked around the store.

I went up a full size from the new balance. They are very comfortable and I am using them for short, long and trail runs. My only issue is they feel a little tighter in the toe box than I am used to (medium/D). I may have to move to a wider width when I move on to my next pair. Currently at 366.1 miles and still feeling good.

We (my parents, but I was living with them at the time) bought a cheap treadmill on amazon. Had it delivered to my dad's work and he drove it home, where he and my brother assembled it.

I can attest that getting a treadmill down basement stairs is harder than you would think, depending on how narrow your door opening is, the width of the stairwell, if there is handrail in the way, and if you have to turn a corner at the bottom (and how much room you have to turn that corner.)

We had to take the door off (the door to the house AND the basement door.) And the handrail. And tip it up on the end to get around the corner at the bottom of the stairs. Ours was a display model, so it was already assembled and I can’t comment on that.

I bought a returned ProForm that had been assembled but never used from the ICON outlet. So, like @Herding_Cats I don't have experience with that part of it. It was pretty easy to get into my condo building from my truck until we got to my front door, which it was too wide for. We removed the side handles and got it in sideways, then put it on its side on a blanket and dragged it into the office where we stood it up and reattached the handles. Voila! I wouldn't call it easy, but doable for two people in reasonable shape.

I have a stash of shoes because they change them every year and often not for the better - I stock up when I find something I like. I generally have one pair dedicated to long runs: they start out on short runs until I've got 15-20 miles on them, and then they only do long runs until they start feeling not-so-great - usually around 175-180ish miles. (I rarely get much more than around 200-250 miles out of a shoe, so at 175, they're nearing the end.) They then become short, easy run shoes until completely dead and retired. Meanwhile, I have a couple pairs of short run shoes rotating - some are shoes I love for a few miles but not longer, and some are dedicated for short speed efforts. Right now, I'm using 5 pairs in a 2-week cycle, and have 4 long run pairs in boxes to be rotated in when the current long run shoes retire.

It fascinates me that people have such complicated systems for shoes. :) You're not the only one, just the one I'm replying to.

Those of you that have complicated systems, how do you track which shoes have what mileage?

I have always worn my shoes (currently Brooks Adrenaline GTS whatever the newest number is) until they hit 400 miles (because Garmin suggested 400 miles as a length of time to use them), and then I change right to a new pair. I've never noticed a difference between the old shoes and new shoes.

I used to wear the Ghost or the Glycerine (forget which first) but then once when I was going to try on a new pair at my running store, they didn't have that one, so I tried the other one and it was OK so I switched to that. At one point two years ago (??) I was having knee pain that I thought indicated I needed stability shoes so I switched to the Adrenalines and that was that. I have no shoe envy, except of colors because I wear wide width and those never have fun colors.

It fascinates me that people have such complicated systems for shoes. :) You're not the only one, just the one I'm replying to.

Those of you that have complicated systems, how do you track which shoes have what mileage?
LOL it's really a lot less complicated than it sounds! I just reach for whatever shoe calls me most days, knowing that one pair is reserved for long runs. I never have the same two colorways in rotation at the same time, so that's easy: purple = long run at the moment. Mileage tracks automatically through the iSmoothRun app - I just select which pair I'm wearing when I set up my run details before heading out.

Garmin Connect makes it super easy. You just enter each pair of shoes and expected lifespan under Gear and then add the pair you used for your run through a drop down menu afterwards. It tracks total mileage and even lets you know when you’ve reached the maximum mileage you set for the pair.

Our Nordictrack was delivered. We asked the delivery guys to take it downstairs and originally they said yes. Then they looked at the stairs and said no. The box as is wouldn't fit and they weren't allowed to open the box (per them). It took 4 adults to carry the main bottom part down the stairs and it nearly killed us. Absolute tank.

They weren't offering installation as an option because of COVID when we got ours. The installation of ours was relatively easy and done in 1-2 hrs at the most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter