The Running Thread - 2020

QOTD: Do you use training plans and where did you get yours?

ATTQOTD: Yes. I used Galloway for my first marathon then into my first Goofy. I modified the weekday runs (to be longer) because I found the weekend long runs too difficult if I ran shorter distances during the week. I have used this modified plan (with other modifications) since then! I also found out that if I don't have a plan (or a planned race), my running really suffers. I need something to work towards and a plan to get there.

When I first started running, I used Galloway’s training plans as a guide. About two years ago, when I decided to register for my first full marathon, I switched to Hal Higdon’s Intermediate plans.

Now, after the disaster that was the 2020 WDW Marathon where I finished in the upright position but only PRed in the number of restroom stops (my hydration game is on point 😉 ) I am rethinking everything! I will stick with Higdon for my spring half, but may need to switch it up leading into the 2021 Marathon Weekend.

ATTQOTD: I always use a plan....even if I haven't committed to a race. I need the structure of workouts to keep me focused. The first years of my running were the FIRST years, i.e. 3x/week plan. Served me well. The I decided to run more and have used Hanson's, BAA, DopeyBadger.

Need to figure out what's next.....like, by tomorrow or so!

Back from the West Coast for work and a Daddy-Daughter DisneyLand trip. Ran twice, once by the hotel in Santa Ana/Irvine. Not very scenic but the LA drivers were incredibly respectively of crosswalks and me running. Weird to not be a target of scorn.

the second run - oh my 4.6 miles at Huntington Beach - 60 degrees overcast with a breeze off the ocean. Just gorgeous. Totally recommend stealing away from a trip to DL to run on the west coast as it was totally iconic on every level. Plus it was flat easy miles.

I also found out that if I don't have a plan (or a planned race), my running really suffers. I need something to work towards and a plan to get there.
I always use a plan....even if I haven't committed to a race. I need the structure of workouts to keep me focused.

ATTQOTD: both of these responses are me right now. I went for my first run since returning home after MW yesterday and didn’t know what to do with myself.
I usually tweak a plan from Higon or Runners World or something because I only like to run 3 (max 4) times a week.
Now to decide what my next race is....

I was excited to see my plan had a 12 mile long run on Sunday feb 2. It is the day for atlanta hot chocolate 15k. The start is about 2 miles from home so plan to run to the start. I was like is this a good idea, but @DopeyBadger said as long as I don’t race. I was channeling my inner @roxymama i was like I just want all the chocolate at the end 😊

By my calculations you can eat 2 additional miles worth of chocolate at the end! Not sure how cold your race is, but from this years experience, don't wait too long to eat the hot fondue once you get it. Mine solidified on me cause I drank all my cocoa first. I still ate it. #protip

ATTQOTD I use the plans Garmin has in Connect. They can be sent to my watch meaning I don’t need to think about anything, just make sure I have allocated sufficient time in the day. When I start a run it asks if I want to do the plan for that day and away I go. I use the train to heart rate feature rather than pace as I live in a hilly area meaning pace isn’t always a measure of effort.

Yes, I typically use a training plan. For the last several years, I have done plans by @DopeyBadger. Before that, I used Hal Higdon.

I told myself to take two weeks off after MW, and I am itching to get back to it. I need to pull out my old DB plans, because I usually follow the same race schedule basically every year. However, I would like to run one race a month this year, but I definitely won't be racing/going for PRs in all of them.

ATTQOTD: I'm almost always on a plan. I tried FIRST, which IMHO is a recipe for disaster. I switched to Hanson which was fairly successful.

In 2017 I asked DB for a plan and it guided me to a marathon PR. Since then, I've loosely repeated that plan with no goal race. I like being on a plan.

2019 fall, I talked to DB to make the plan geared toward a half, rather than a full. Once again, a PR.

Fast forward to 2020 and I've changed my tune: I'm tired of being on a plan. I made running into a job. I've been goofing off at easy pace the last couple of weeks and it's been enjoyable. But I can tell, I'm already starting to miss the structure of a plan. So I'm 'Stuck in the Middle'. For me that is the song, not the TV series.

Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to my right
Here I am stuck in the middle...

ATTQOTD: I've used Higdon's to train for the marathon and Dopey. I do modify them from five days of running to four. I don't have a plan right now but I am also not sure of what races I plan to do through the summer. But I did realize I'm going to need a new proof of time if I want to do Dopey 2021 so I gotta find something!

ATTQOTD: Finding and following the Galloway plan is what made me feel like I can actually “do” this running thing! 😁 My only thing is that I’m not quite sure what to run in between races.

I was excited to see my plan had a 12 mile long run on Sunday feb 2. It is the day for atlanta hot chocolate 15k. The start is about 2 miles from home so plan to run to the start. I was like is this a good idea, but @DopeyBadger said as long as I don’t race. I was channeling my inner @roxymama i was like I just want all the chocolate at the end 😊

This is going to be my first race - I’m super-excited about it!

ATTQOTD: I generally use a training plan. Otherwise, it's too easy to cut out runs or make things easier and not accomplish the training that's needed.

For my very first 5K almost 7 years ago (can't believe I've been running that long!), I used a simple plan from Oxygen magazine. (yeah, HA!) It was confusing about paces and types of runs (like tempo runs), but fortunately as a new runner I really couldn't go too wrong as long as I started running more.

For a couple of years after that, I adapted and followed plans from 80/20 Running. But still, since you were supposed to set your paces by feel or HR zones, I ended up running a lot of this too fast. Also, I don't feel like the marathon training plans were very realistic for slow runners, because I was out there for hours and hours for the long runs...basically I ran myself into the ground with the "plan" before I even got to the start line for my first marathon.

Since 2018, I've been following plans with @DopeyBadger, and it's so much nicer that they are customized to my schedule and level. I feel like I'm seeing a lot of improvement in my training runs, but with bad luck on weather for key races, I still need to translate that to races. I don't race very much.

Yes and no. When I was first starting out, I made my own plans. I used a Galloway plan for one half and it was okay, but after that I went back to making my own plans. About two years ago I started working with @DopeyBadger and it was a great experience (both when he made plans for me and when I made plans for myself with his guidance), but I realized that I kinda want to not be on a plan, so I'm lightly freeestyling it now. I do have a training schedule that I made for myself, but it's super flexible and I've been adjusting it as needed. I find that the flexibility to adjust really works for me.

(My first) ATTQOTD: Yes I use a training plan! I am a newish runner (started mid 2018) and ran my first "real" race in October, a 10 mile. I used Hal Higdon and it worked so well. I was running a higher weekly mileage than the first half of the plan so I just repeated a bunch of the weeks until it lined up with my race schedule. I don't have a lot of free time so I only ran 3x a week (M W F) and I think it helped me stay injury free. I haven't gotten serious enough to worry about stuff like tempo runs or much cross-training so I just used the novice plan. I didn't do any of the non-run day activities though, oops!

I'm hoping to run the same 10 mile race this year as a prelude to hopefully running the HM next January as my first runDisney race! I wouldn't really have any idea how much to run without a plan, and crossing off runs on the calendar really helped me stay accountable and prepared. Maybe I can pick up the pace a bit but until I start incorporating some speed work or something I'll probably stay at the same leisurely pace I seem to always run at. But it's just something fun for me right now, so not sure I want to make that next step just yet :hyper: .

I've been pretty lazy since October and the amount of snow here we have gotten in Minneapolis has not helped. I went outside today and powered through five miles on packed snow and ice. I run along the Mississippi river and it is so hilly, some of the downhills were a bit treacherous! Temperature was in the teens, which felt amazing compared to the past few days of -20F windchill we have had. That's the only thing that worries me about running the half, since the cold may impact my training plan (I hate the dreadmill).

ATTQOTD: I'm almost always on a plan. I tried FIRST, which IMHO is a recipe for disaster. I switched to Hanson which was fairly successful.

In 2017 I asked DB for a plan and it guided me to a marathon PR. Since then, I've loosely repeated that plan with no goal race. I like being on a plan.

2019 fall, I talked to DB to make the plan geared toward a half, rather than a full. Once again, a PR.

Fast forward to 2020 and I've changed my tune: I'm tired of being on a plan. I made running into a job. I've been goofing off at easy pace the last couple of weeks and it's been enjoyable. But I can tell, I'm already starting to miss the structure of a plan. So I'm 'Stuck in the Middle'. For me that is the song, not the TV series.

Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to my right
Here I am stuck in the middle...

Stealers Wheel! Gotta love a good Gerry Rafferty reference! I’m just going to go for a quick run on Baker Street now...

By my calculations you can eat 2 additional miles worth of chocolate at the end! Not sure how cold your race is, but from this years experience, don't wait too long to eat the hot fondue once you get it. Mine solidified on me cause I drank all my cocoa first. I still ate it. #protip

Nice since i just signed up, before i did i checked the weather. Yes i know it can change but right now not as miserable as this week. Should be around 40 for race start. I will take that. I waited until 12:30 today to run in the sun and it was still only 30 outside, yes i know you northern folks are jealous but it was cold :).

@MommaBerd i knew someone was running their first race as this. i ran it once before it is pretty good, it is hilly though. Another reason i am doing it, to get some hill training in.

Nice since i just signed up, before i did i checked the weather. Yes i know it can change but right now not as miserable as this week. Should be around 40 for race start. I will take that. I waited until 12:30 today to run in the sun and it was still only 30 outside, yes i know you northern folks are jealous but it was cold :).

@MommaBerd i knew someone was running their first race as this. i ran it once before it is pretty good, it is hilly though. Another reason i am doing it, to get some hill training in.

yes - I saw one of the last legs is going up North Ave. YUCK! I walked that hill almost every day for a number of years...at least the North Ave. incline isn’t quite as steep as The Hill on campus! I’ve been running some more hilly terrain on my last couple of long runs, so hopefully I’ll be somewhat prepared. My running buddy has been terribly sick ☹️, poor thing, so I imagine we’ll be going at a somewhat slower pace than I’ve been training. I’m just going to enjoy it! I’m looking at the Savannah Women’s Half in April as my “serious” race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter