The Running Thread - 2020

I'm a walker, so...yup. (and thanks to all of the runners for recognizing the challenge inherent in it -- I've definitely come across a lot of people who think it's easy! Although I'm very much in awe of all of you who can run those distances even a little bit.)

QOTD: before the half Saturday I would have said run. But in those conditions, walk. In my training I was easily running 9.5 miles (that ended up being my longest run). Saturday's conditions had me looking like I hadn't done a day of training. It was a lot of "OMG just let me make it to that next sign!" So if there is heat and humidity involved, I'll choose walking. If I can have 40 degrees and no wind, running it is!

I signed up for a ten mile race for April 5. My goal is to get in at least four 10 mile races this year. The hardest part seems to be finding them (and when I do find them, they tend to be on weekends I'm working). Hoping that by signing up for them I'm forced to keep myself in good shape all year.

Art of Animation or one of the All Star resorts for a race weekend? If you vote All Star, which one?

DH has said I can do the W&D race weekend, but it will be on a much tighter budget than prior WDW trips. We have never stayed at either a value or moderate resort before so looking for thoughts from those who have.

I’m also conflicted about going since my plan is to run a November half for time, and the race I had been planning on is the weekend after W&D (it will be much smaller, @100 people). DH thinks I will do better at WDW than I will put by myself.
My family and I were used to Deluxe (Poly, BC, GF). I went to my first rD event solo (WnD 2017) and stayed at Pop. We are just back from Marathon Weekend and the entire party stayed at Pop and loved it. Here is what I consider pluses and minuses for the Value Resorts and the order I would put them:
  1. Pop Century: Skyliner + renovated rooms that means Queen beds, wood floors, mini fridge and coffee maker! Plus the ambience during race weekend is unbeatable!
  2. All Star Movies: Renovated rooms that means Queen beds, wood floors, mini fridge and coffee maker!
  3. AoA: Skyliner and different types of room arrangements if it suits you.
  4. Other All Stars.

Thanks everyone for your input on my “stinky” question :)

I have some shower wipes that I keep in my running bag but I think I need to shop around for another kind. Changing clothes is something I prepare for and then say forget it until I can shower. But I probably should do it to save my friends noses. ;)
In top of the wipes and change of clothes, I found that having a real towel and wetting it with water to kind of give myself a sponge bath and then really drying myself (not fun inside a bathroom stall but feasible) before putting clean clothes was the best way to feel clean and less stinky.

So in 2016 I did this race at our local zoo called the Samson Stomp. It was the coldest weather I’ve ever run in. Air temp of about -2 and wind chill around -30. I still enjoyed the race and have wanted to go back, but haven’t since. But I signed up again this year and what do you think the weather is supposed to be? Answer: not quite as cold as that year, but still extremely cold. 20-30 mph wind forecasted and wind chill well below zero. I think I’m a jinx. :confused3:cold:

ATTQOTD: Given an either or I would pick running. Working through my injury recovery forced me to do a lot more walking and I found it to be a great way to enjoy my surroundings more and be a little more present/in the moment. And by pushing hard you really can get your heart pumping. Still, I would pick running.

So in 2016 I did this race at our local zoo called the Samson Stomp. It was the coldest weather I’ve ever run in. Air temp of about -2 and wind chill around -30. I still enjoyed the race and have wanted to go back, but haven’t since. But I signed up again this year and what do you think the weather is supposed to be? Answer: not quite as cold as that year, but still extremely cold. 20-30 mph wind forecasted and wind chill well below zero. I think I’m a jinx. :confused3:cold:

I kept hearing about that race on the radio! My family was asking me if I was going to sign up for it - looking at the forecast, I'm kind of glad that I didn't. Someday I will though - I think running through the zoo would be super fun!

Catching up post Marathon Weekend:

ATTQOTD shoe retirement by feel or time: Although I track my shoes distance with an App, I usually also feel it in my bones and can see the absence of thread when it is time to say goodbye.

ATTQOTD drink before running: I might take a little sip of water if I go run before breakfast (less than an hour run). Otherwise, it is a full meal with coffee and milk then an hour wait. I try to stop drinking an hour before running in general.

ATTQOTD walk a Marathon in 7 hours: Having just completed what I believe will be my lifelong personal worst at Disney, I can say that going below my normal cruising speed is annoying, fortunately there was plenty of distractions. That said, I am cheap. If I had a non-refundable, non-transferable registration to a close-by race and the weather was great, I would probably attempt walking or slowly running it... Unless there was a risk of permanent psychological or physical injuries.

My vote is also for run. I will say that I LOVE walking when it comes to leisurely adventures on the weekend with my family (nature preserves, hiking, going to target, etc.) but those involve lots of stopping to smell the roses. In a race environment I enjoy running much more when it comes to those long distances that take a long time to complete.

Edited to also point out that I am a relatively slow walker. So props to those who can walk at that 16mm pace or faster.

I would also run - I walk at a slowwwwww pace. I'm a stroller, so I don't think I could be on my feet for that long. (Like 3.0 on the treadmill (20mm) is a little quicker than I like to walk :P).

I am now five days past the WDW Marathon and feeling antsy. I took it easy and have had no soreness since Wednesday, so I'm ready to get back at it. But I told myself I would take two whole weeks off. The plantar fasciitis in my left foot isn't as bad as it was before, but it did flare up a little during the marathon, so I need to let it rest. But I want to run. So hard to wait!

Fun Friday QOTD: I just recalled that I am registered for the Louisiana Marathon on 1/19/2020 and theres no chance in me running it. For fun I wanted to know what the cut off time for the race is and come to find out it's a 16 min pace or 7 hours, just like Disney. So for the question, do you think it is possible to walk 26.2 miles below 16 min pace without training?

ATTQOTD: I would like to start of by saying it is highly unlikely that I would attempt this and after I answer I am going to see about deferring to the next event. I also think it is possible but it would suck way more than running the thing trained. I also do not think I could actually do it.
Well, my sister just walked Dopey despite not training at all, not a single bit, since a half marathon in September. Now while it can be done, whether or not it should be done is a different matter.
I was already planning on Wine and Dine - all this marathon talk has me trying to cook up a scheme to do Marathon Weekend again, like full/challenge level! Talk about dreaming big because of everything I'm reading on here :laughing:
I easily blame this community for really planting the idea of tackling the marathon in my brain. I also credit this very same community for giving me so much encouragement about undertaking the marathon, real talk about what to expect during the marathon, and welcoming me into the community.
DH has said I can do the W&D race weekend, but it will be on a much tighter budget than prior WDW trips. We have never stayed at either a value or moderate resort before so looking for thoughts from those who have.
I stayed at Sports for the 2012 Wine & Dine Half, Riverside for the 2017 Dark Side Challenge, French Quarter for the 2018 Dark Side and 2019 Dopey, and Movies for the 2020 Dopey. All the resorts were fine. The two Port Orleans resorts are very nice because the bus ride to Epcot is so short and the boat ride to Disney Springs. My final recommendation would be French Quarter because it's such a compact resort with only one bus stop. But I would stay at any of the All Star resorts for a race weekend again without hesitation.
I was there, doing my first full, and it was BRUTAL! I started in front of F, roughly middle of the pack, and took it easy from the start, running about a minute slower than Marathon pace. It was sticky but okay, but the sun came up just about the time I hit MK (mile 10ish) and BAKED us. After AK, during the road and parking lot miles, it was scary hot with no shade and the asphalt just keeping in the heat, and people were dropping all over the place.

I ended up walking the entire second half as my heart rate would spike even trying intervals. I was about 30 minutes ahead of the balloons when the red flag was called and the course shortened, so just missed Blizzard Beach. Disappointed but honestly, I understand why. They said the heat index at 11am hit 90! It was like early summer weather.
I saw a Reedy Creek Fire Department vehicle with sirens blazing and blaring on its way to Blizzard Beach after I learned they had cut the course. My sister heard at least 3 different calls for a medic shortly after finishing just ahead of the balloon ladies. I heard so many stories about people dropping like flies during the marathon.

That was a difficult race. I understand disappointment with cutting the course short as that certainly impacted me. But I do not fault runDisney for making the decision they did. With all the walking to the corrals you have to do and the amount they actually shortened the course by, anyone who ran the shortened course still got their 26.2 miles in and then some.
My running coach just shared this with our team, and I wanted to pass it along to you lovely folks! 12 mistakes all runners make, since we're all probably at a point in training where 6+ of these apply :) https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20788804/the-dirty-dozen/
That was a good read. Thank you for sharing it. I think in running that stubbornness can be a virtue, but only if it's not at the expense of injuring or hurting oneself.

I signed up for a ten mile race for April 5. My goal is to get in at least four 10 mile races this year. The hardest part seems to be finding them (and when I do find them, they tend to be on weekends I'm working). Hoping that by signing up for them I'm forced to keep myself in good shape all year.

I think it was in the Marathon thread that I mentioned the Broad Street Run, which is May 3. Besides that, I know of 4 other 10 Milers in or around Philly. They are:

Luck of the Irish 10 Miler (Phoenixville, PA) March 15.

Mother’s Day 10Ten (Washington Crossing, PA) May 10

King of Prussia Challenge 10 Miler (King of Prussia, PA) May 17

Rocky Run 10 Miler (Philly) Nov 14

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts