The Running Thread - 2020

Tomorrow’s 5K at the zoo is going to be brutal. It snowed last night so with that combined with the temperatures plummeting later and winds picking up, I’m worried about how icy it will be. I may just go, pick up my stuff and try to walk it. :confused3 I don’t really want them to have to cancel it.

I think it was in the Marathon thread that I mentioned the Broad Street Run, which is May 3. Besides that, I know of 4 other 10 Milers in or around Philly. They are:

Luck of the Irish 10 Miler (Phoenixville, PA) March 15.

Mother’s Day 10Ten (Washington Crossing, PA) May 10

King of Prussia Challenge 10 Miler (King of Prussia, PA) May 17

Rocky Run 10 Miler (Philly) Nov 14
Thank you! I had looked up the Broad Street run when you mentioned it in the marathon thread, but I'm just getting back from vacation that weekend. I'm going to check out the others.

I think it was in the Marathon thread that I mentioned the Broad Street Run, which is May 3. Besides that, I know of 4 other 10 Milers in or around Philly. They are:

Luck of the Irish 10 Miler (Phoenixville, PA) March 15.

Mother’s Day 10Ten (Washington Crossing, PA) May 10

King of Prussia Challenge 10 Miler (King of Prussia, PA) May 17

Rocky Run 10 Miler (Philly) Nov 14

Washington D.C. is another great source for 10 milers on the East Coast.

I've personally done the Army 10 miler in October and the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in April (the Cherry Blossom lottery is already closed for this year though) and can highly recommend both for being well organized events with interesting courses.

QOTD: Do you use training plans and where did you get yours?

ATTQOTD: I do use them. As far as where I get them depends on what I am training for. I've used C25k to start out, then had a coach for a while who made plans. Then I used a plan from Advanced Marathoning for my second marathon. At other times I created my own plans, but those are mostly just for the off season to maintain fitness. Currently I am starting a program with Garmin that changes based on each run and how my training is going. I started it 2 weeks ago, but then the national championship game happened and well... 36 year old me takes a while longer to recover lol. So I am starting it over again today.

QOTD: Which would you rather do question: Would you rather run a half/full or walk it? You are not allowed to do both in todays hypothetical situation.

definitely run, even if I need to slow the pace to cover the distance. I run/walk sometimes but prefer to run

QOTD: Do you use training plans and where did you get yours?

I do, but not always as written. I usually take the Galloway plan from runDisney as a guideline and tweak it a bit. Usually intervals or tempo runs on the Tues and Thurs and I run the long runs as opposed to run/walk. I think maybe it’s time to hit up @DopeyBadger as I’m going to use princess as a slow run to start training for a Star Wars PR

On another note I just did my Dopey recovery 5K on beautiful Castaway Cay this past Saturday, I just can’t stop giving Disney my $$

ATTQOTD: Yes! I am in a local running club. The coach writes individual training plans based on races signed up for, individual fitness and goals. It has 3-4 built-in team workouts too which is great. For me it's worth the money. Supporting one guy not a company, team encouragement, and they're effective so I can't complain!

ATTQOTD: I try to follow the Galloway plan from Run Disney the best that I can and tweak it when needed. I'm still working on being consistent and sticking to the plans - definitely a place that I am hoping to improve over this next year while training for my different races.

Attqotd: I usually use training plans, I didn’t for my training last year though. My focus was on getting vert for a mid-July climb race, while still having enough distance for the mid August trail marathon.

I will this year though for my 10k, but not for the climb up the ski jump in June. There is not a whole lot of info out there for training for that. I will be doing lots of hill sprints, though to get ready for it in the 6 weeks leading up to it. My goal is to qualify for finals, and I pretty much breezed through just finishing it last year. So there is a lot of room for improvement.

I just got my new @DopeyBadger plan too and am excited to start training again! It’s been all easy runs for me since September so I’m happy to get some variety. I follow training plans when I’m trying to do a race for time. I’ve been using dopey badger plans for the past couple years and Hal Higgins before that.

ATTQOTD: I haven't used training plans yet!

In the past it was because work hours were just so unpredictable (nights, long shifts spanning day and night, weekends, holidays, and working anywhere from 60-100 hours a week) that there was probably no way any training plan would have fitted around that work schedule.

Now work hours are much more regular and much saner, but I haven't yet tried out a training plan.

Thinking of trying the Galloway marathon plan, though Galloway seems to do the run/walk/run method and I usually prefer to just run. Might need to look around at training plans a bit more especially if I want to work up to a marathon this year...

ATTQOTD: Another team @DopeyBadger plan user. It's at 5 years I think as I'm about to run my 5th Shamrock shuffle in the spring and that was part of my first plan. I don't use plans for every race I run, but almost always for my long race distances or PR attempts. But a decent amount of my other smaller races tend to get baked into my bigger plans. Last year was not my finest moment when it came to sticking to plans or executing them well, but I've come to terms with that (it was a tough year mentally and with bad luck with some terrible colds/flu/etc)
But I'll be reaching out again as I look forward to Chicago marathon in the fall.
I will say I perform better 100% of the time when I follow my plans vs when I slack off or don't use one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter