The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: Since I am extremely under trained for Sundays marathon, lets talk recovery, specifically minimize soreness. What do you do to help with soar muscles and not end up walking like a Donald?

ATTQOTD: Obviously training properly would help a lot with this issue. I have found that walking post race helps and some solid stretching will go a long way.

The more you walk the day of the race the better off you are. I had a ROUGH marathon last year as I have shared. I walked to the monorail after the race, then back to my room in the hotel, showered and off to AK I went. I was moving slow for sure but the next day I wasn't very sore at all.

I had my scheduled check-up from my ankle surgery today (20 weeks). The ankle has been swelling quite a bit lately and I was getting anxious. The worst part of this recovery is that every time I feel any tweak/pain/swelling I immediately think "oh no I have re-injured my ankle, this means more surgery and starting over..." It's like being in continual taper mode!

But I passed all the tests this morning, and was told to relax about the swelling as it is normal and could last for awhile yet. I do have to stay in my ankle sleeve but I now get to move into strength training PT as opposed to simple range of motion stuff. It was really good to get a thumbs up from the doc and know that recovery continues and real running may not be too far away!!! :tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:

My swelling hung around for 9-12 months. I didn't even get all the feeling back in the left side of my foot for about 18 months. I didn't realize until I went through this that it is a pretty serious surgery. Even the new doctor I saw said the same thing. There are tons of nerves involved and everything.

Hi runners! I am training for my first half- Princess and we are doing the challenge. I am currently running 2-3 times during the week (ok, a lot more 2 than 3) plus a long weekend run that is increasing length, last week, I did 7 miles. During the week, it is really hard for me to get in more than 3 miles on those runs. I usually run in the morning. Sigh. I could get up earlier if you all tell me I need to- but I am currently running at 5:50, up at 5:20. I tried this week running while my daughter was at dance, and while I have enough time, it was SO dark on the way back I had to walk out of fear for tripping. I could do this dance run once a week and go 4, but it was just too dark for me to feel good about it. My neighborhood must have better lighting because this is not an issue on my morning runs. I am loosely following Hal Higdeon and the weekly runs increase to 5 miles.

So my question is- do I need to make those 4-5 mile runs happen. Should I commit to 3 3-4 miles runs plus the long one if I can not do the 4-5 milers. Does that even matter? My goal is to finish the challenge feeling good about the race- no time goal- only planning on stopping for the evil hag and the castle. I anticipate walking or run/walking during the second half and that is fine with me, but I want to feel strong. Will I regret cutting the weekly runs short? Thanks!

@DopeyBadger is the expert on this stuff on this thread. He will probably offer more of an informed opinion but what I would say is, if you are doing the challenge, you need at least 4 days of running a week and two days need to be back to back to try and simulate what you will go through for the actual race. If you aren't used to running high mileage or back to back days then doing it the first time at race weekend you might be sore, or struggle.

I would get up at 5:00 instead of 5:20 and get the extra mileage in on those days. I would also buy a headlamp to run the night your daughter is dancing. My headlamp is heavy duty, and as bright as a car headlight, and I think it was $45. I also got a light up vest to wear to make myself easier to see. I can provide links to either if interested.

The question you need to ask yourself is, how bad do I want this for myself. If you want badly then there is always as solution to accomplish your goals and we would all be happy to help with suggestions.

Since @LSUlakes is driving for most of the day today (have a good drive down to WDW) I volunteered to do today’s Fun Friday QOTD.

I really enjoy character meetings/photo ops. Seeing the list of the characters for photo ops during the 5K & 10K, there are some rare ones. So my Fun Friday QOTD is, what has been your favorite rare character meeting? Also, do you have any rare characters you hope to meet?

Fun Friday ATTQOTD: I haven’t had the chance for too many rare character meetingsphoto ops, but if the few Inhave had, I think my favorite has been Gepetto. That meeting was completely unexpected. I was waking around WS and happened to be at the gate between Canada and the UK when it opened and 5 or 6 characters walked out. All of them were the usual crowd except for Gepetto. He was a fun interact as well. When I got up to him he was “surprised” to see another person wearing glasses, which was was an enjoyable interaction. As for rare characters I want to meet. The two on the top of my list are Mr. Smee and The Big Bad Wolf. The reason these two are at the top of my list is because my mom has photos of my with them as a toddler/little kid (mid-80’s) and in each I am less than happy to be with them (The Big Bad Wolf terrifies my has a toddler). So I think it would be hilarious to get photos with them again (with the thought of trying to reenact my reactions as a toddler/little kid).

E88FFF50-D942-41D4-A592-E956F8637400.jpeg

Hi runners! I am training for my first half- Princess and we are doing the challenge. I am currently running 2-3 times during the week (ok, a lot more 2 than 3) plus a long weekend run that is increasing length, last week, I did 7 miles. During the week, it is really hard for me to get in more than 3 miles on those runs. I usually run in the morning. Sigh. I could get up earlier if you all tell me I need to- but I am currently running at 5:50, up at 5:20. I tried this week running while my daughter was at dance, and while I have enough time, it was SO dark on the way back I had to walk out of fear for tripping. I could do this dance run once a week and go 4, but it was just too dark for me to feel good about it. My neighborhood must have better lighting because this is not an issue on my morning runs. I am loosely following Hal Higdeon and the weekly runs increase to 5 miles.

So my question is- do I need to make those 4-5 mile runs happen. Should I commit to 3 3-4 miles runs plus the long one if I can not do the 4-5 milers. Does that even matter? My goal is to finish the challenge feeling good about the race- no time goal- only planning on stopping for the evil hag and the castle. I anticipate walking or run/walking during the second half and that is fine with me, but I want to feel strong. Will I regret cutting the weekly runs short? Thanks!

Being consistent about the training will be the one thing that helps the most. So if the plan you follow was written to run 4 days per week, then running 4 days per week will be the most helpful. The plan was likely written so that the other runs beyond the long run help support/balance your ability to do the long run (and race). Now will there be a big difference between running 3 miles and running 5 miles on your ability to race? Not huge, but you will be better prepared for the weekend long run and more specifically the race day the more often you can do the longer mid-week run. You've got 6 weeks remaining until Princess weekend. So, can you sacrifice another 20 minutes of sleep for likely 5 days total in the next 6 weeks (race week is probably not 5 miles)? If not, then you'll survive. But if you can, then you'll be better prepared and place yourself in a better position to feel strong.

Since @LSUlakes is driving for most of the day today (have a good drive down to WDW) I volunteered to do today’s Fun Friday QOTD.

I really enjoy character meetings/photo ops. Seeing the list of the characters for photo ops during the 5K & 10K, there are some rare ones. So my Fun Friday QOTD is, what has been your favorite rare character meeting? Also, do you have any rare characters you hope to meet?

Not super rare, but I enjoyed getting pictures with Hades, Pain, and Panic during the full last year. Seeing and taking photos with the old ride cars and the Adventurers Club in past years has been fun too.

ATTQOTD rare characters: I am not sure which characters I met are rare and which are not. On each trip, I try to meet with the princess or new character of the year and with Mickey wearing a different outfit.

Like @KevM (thanks for the question), I had a surprise encounter in WS. Max (Goofy’s nephew) and B’rer Rabbit were fun but they were not the most memorable interactions. Same goes for the photos during runDisney when we are too rushed to really play.

ATTQOTD: I haven't had an rare character meets. But my favorite photo was with Donald in MK during the marathon last year. He was so excited to see me in my Donald themed clothes! I was sick and that perked me right up! :)

ATTQOTD: I can't remember any rare meets although if I go through old photos I am sure my mom has some from when I was a kid. In recent memory, some of my favorite photos are from Spaceship Earth ride scenes. We were able to walk the track one night during my CP before it closed for refub and took likes of photos with the animatronics.

I’m not sure how rare they are considered anymore, but the one character meet and greet that stands out to me was the evil stepsisters. This was back when rare meet and greets were located near Big Thunder Ranch at Disneyland (before they closed that area to build Star Wars Land). Their interaction with our group was hilarious!!! That seems to be a theme with the stepsisters regardless of the park. But, I think because that location was hidden away, it was even better!

True to my age, my favorite rare characters are the ones that were popular in my youth. Last year I got to meet Launchpad McQuack and Sebastian at the marathon. Still on my list is Darkwing Duck and any of the Gummi Bears (I'm not sure if they're even an option?)

Hope everyone in WDW is having a great time! Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, and have fun!!! Had a 6 miler for my long run this week, but since I'm working all weekend, I decided that today would be the ideal day to do it, so I listened to Disney tunes and envisioned myself running the 10k course (but later in the morning). ;) Loved seeing the WDW pics on Strava after I got back home! So wishing I was there with you all! Hopefully next January!!!

ATTQOTD: I am not sure they are very rare but my favorite character greeting was with Baloo Bear and King Louie in AK several years ago. They were walking by us and started dancing and got all the people around them to dance - and much to the terror of my two girls I started dancing also!

Is anyone doing (or have done) Run the Bluegrass half in Kentucky? I'm trying to find something new that is relatively close. This would be 6 hours away. And any other recommendations for something close to Arkansas would be fantastic

A little late in this response. Below is a short summary from last years race. I may attend this year - still trying to figure out the 2019 race schedule. @Keels was looking into this race as well. There was also Bourbon and I believe a local beer on the course but I'm not a alcohol drinker so I didn't focus on that.

@LSUlakes Time for Run the Bluegrass Half 2:06:07. Well, that stretch goal of 1:59:59 turned out to be just wishful thinking. Not in the cards at the current fitness level for this course. Still it was a PR by about 6 minutes.

Small report:
  • The Keeneland grounds are beautiful and horse lovers will be in heaven.
  • Lots of parking and mid-range walk from parking to race start/finish.
  • No opinion on Expo - didn't attend
  • According to the results, there were about 3600 runners
  • Runners are assigned to "waves" but they are not enforced. Many runners moved between waves.
  • The pre-race music and ceremony was OK but I'm not much into that and sometimes find it annoying
  • The course runs through the Kentucky horse farm countryside past many large and opulent estates. It is scenically wonderful.
  • The paths were wide and the course never felt crowded
  • The course is hilly and I was unprepared. The hill starting around mile 9 in particular was a real bear at that point in the race.
  • My Garmin measured the course at just a few feet short of 13.1 which is unusual as all previous Garmin measures on other courses were slightly above 13.1.
  • Large impressive medal and a tad better-than-normal after race freebie food.
Probably kind of sappy but one of the largest takeaways from this race turned out to be more personal than running related. This race is a combined 7 mile and half that share the first 3 miles or so and the last 3 miles or so. My fatigue was pretty high when the courses met for the final segment because I had gone out too fast. There were some walkers from the 7 mile course, folks of various fitness levels - some struggling to make it walking, one that was battling what appeared to be the residual effects of a stroke, a blind army vet with one leg missing in a wheelchair being helped by another in a wheelchair to get through the course. They were an inspiration. This mortal journey has unexpected and uninvited challenges, and the human spirit and drive to find meaning and overcome challenges is a core part of what makes this life a wonderful and worthwhile experience. My petty little challenges are small compared to others. I'm not inviting more challenges but am inspired and humbled by those that have it, face it, stare it down, and go forward. This race provided that reflection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter