The Running Thread - 2019

Random question are the person in the yellow calf and arm sleeves in RunArnoRun’s 2018 10k video?

Nope, not me. This was my 10k outfit:

I watched the video to see if I could find myself. He was way out in front of me at the start, but I passed him before we reached the mile 1 marker (video had it at 6:30 and I did it in 6:22). I had 4 second Gun/chip differential, so crossed the official first mile around 6:26 gun time. So I may very well have been the person right in front of him at 4:16 in the video, but it's too dark to say definitively and as I learned during the marathon those clocks are no where close to accurate.

I do believe we found me in the marathon video though some time ago:

9:26 - BrianFromIreland in white and me right behind him in orange

I'm tempted to try it. But.....

This is why every single pair of athletic pants/shorts for women NEED POCKETS!!! AGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry for the side rant...I get irked everytime there is a new helpful way for women to carry their stuff during runs because pockets (and not the weird teeny ones) should be the default in everything.
I want them in my normal clothes, too, not just my running shorts.
Thank you very much!

Very true. During the 2018 Dark Side Half, the flailing about of my phone in my pocket combined with using it for photos inadvertently opened up my MDE app and managed to cancel my Flight of Passage fastpasses for the next day.

When I'm doing a run long enough to carry a hydration vest, I put my phone in one of the vest pockets. One time when it was really humid and I was really sweaty, the phone bouncing in the vest pocket managed to go into the phone settings and turn the brightness down to nearly zero. So then I'm in bright summer sunlight trying to somehow see the screen enough to find the setting to change the brightness back...

Nope, not me. This was my 10k outfit:

View attachment 435502

I watched the video to see if I could find myself. He was way out in front of me at the start, but I passed him before we reached the mile 1 marker (video had it at 6:30 and I did it in 6:22). I had 4 second Gun/chip differential, so crossed the official first mile around 6:26 gun time. So I may very well have been the person right in front of him at 4:16 in the video, but it's too dark to say definitively and as I learned during the marathon those clocks are no where close to accurate.

I do believe we found me in the marathon video though some time ago:

9:26 - BrianFromIreland in white and me right behind him in orange

View attachment 435505

Now I'll know what to look for the next time I watch those videos. I'm spending an unfortunate amount of time on the treadmill so I'm sure I'll see them again soon.

I know this was discussed a while ago, but Brittany Runs a Marathon is out in my local theater and I may see it tonight. Anybody seen it or planning to see it?

Pockets for days please! The type of shorts I like for running never have good pockets for fuel and my spibelt barely holds my phone, so on race day I wear a flipbelt. But once it's packed with all the gels and phone etc, it basically looks like I'm wearing a tire around my waist!

I forgot Brittany Runs a Marathon is coming out this weekend! It got good reviews on Rottentomatoes. Thinking about that or Hustlers, but I think DH would prefer Hustlers. :P

Just want to rant a bit - where I live (Singapore) we get periods of haze every year or so, thanks to forest fires in neighbouring countries. These forest fires are apparently usually the result of illegal "slash and burn" land clearing.

The air quality was still great last weekend, but it has been getting worse over the past week or so and got particularly bad today. You can smell the smoke any time you're outdoors, and visibility just completely drops. Apparently the visibility was so bad today that some flights were cancelled!

So with the haze... I can't run! I tried going to the gym but it's full of people avoiding the outdoors, so no free treadmills there.

I have an 18.45km race in 2 weeks (and Wine and Dine half in 7 weeks) so I'm not sure how I'm going to keep up training wise if the haze persists... And if the haze is still here in 2 weeks I'm not sure I should be even running the 18.45km race then...

ATTQOTD: another Excel fan here. I have one tab for all past races and future schedule. Which I get to enter a new PR for my 5k today! I also keep track of age group results and splits (if applicable). Today's run was also the first in a new age group for me. 😜
Another tab holds monthly mileage totals. I track everything in Garmin connect, but the spreadsheet is nice for official times. In Garmin connect you can specify an activity as a race for easier searching.

For shorts, I exclusively run in shorts with pockets. It's a must at this point. I like to keep my phone with me because the kids are at home. And, there was almost an incident a few weeks back. It was early in the morning but luckily there was someone at our neighborhood clubhouse and I could get in to the bathroom. So, I also carry the access card with me on every run. Athelta and Happy Puppies both have compression shorts that have great pockets. Keeps the phone very secure.

Pockets: I just bought a running skirt on clearance at Athleta, the Momentum skort, it has one pocket along the back of the waistband that is exactly the size of my iPhone and another at the front of the waistband that can hold a key or maybe a gel or chap stick. Those are exactly the only things I carry on most of my regular, non-long-run runs! Love it love it love it. I might try to snag another one before it goes away.

Just want to rant a bit - where I live (Singapore) we get periods of haze every year or so, thanks to forest fires in neighbouring countries. These forest fires are apparently usually the result of illegal "slash and burn" land clearing.

The air quality was still great last weekend, but it has been getting worse over the past week or so and got particularly bad today. You can smell the smoke any time you're outdoors, and visibility just completely drops. Apparently the visibility was so bad today that some flights were cancelled!

So with the haze... I can't run! I tried going to the gym but it's full of people avoiding the outdoors, so no free treadmills there.

I have an 18.45km race in 2 weeks (and Wine and Dine half in 7 weeks) so I'm not sure how I'm going to keep up training wise if the haze persists... And if the haze is still here in 2 weeks I'm not sure I should be even running the 18.45km race then...

I visited Mumbai, India last year, which has this huge smog dome over it. I was glad that I hadn't planned to try to run there, because it seems like it wouldn't have done my lungs any favors. So I'm sympathizing with your situation.

It seems to me like you need to safeguard your health first, because there will be more races later. You said that the treadmills at the gyms are busy. Do you have any facilities that have indoor tracks? In the US, some places have indoor tracks that are about 1/10 mile long...it's a lot of laps to get anywhere, but it might be better than nothing.

Jumping on the shorts discussion bandwagon, I exclusively run in the Roadrunnersports 5 Pocket Shorts.
2 of the pockets are zippered in front and can hold my cell phone (!) and the one in back has Velcro and could also hold a cell phone in a pinch. They're light and comfortable for runs, and I have 5 pairs of them in case they ever are discontinued.

It is depressingly rare to find women's running shorts with a)useful pockets and b)zippers to make sure your stuff stays put.
I once traveled for a race to Washington DC and when adding something last minute to my suitcase before leaving accidentally unpacked my running shorts. :oops: I went to 5 different athletic stores in DC once I realized this and could not find a single pair of shorts which comfortably held my phone, let alone the gels and tissues I like to bring while running. Let's just say I make extra sure of no shorts left behind!

Well I am back in injury-town, code for I am so sick of this!

My PT believes it is a compensation injury and it is (hopefully) not too serious. I noted hip pain in my left hip earlier this week. The pain lingered and on my next run flared up as soon as I started so I shut it down immediately and saw my PT the next day and then my doc on Friday. Diagnosis was “it is likely tendinitis/sore tendon” and then the words I really needed to hear “It does not look serious, not a stress fracture”. Cool. So it is rest, ice, new stretch routine, vitamin-I and back to the basement bike trainer. If it is not improving in another week then it is back to the doc. Though I am working on it, my gait is still off from the ankle and I am going to have to slow down more and focus a lot more on my gait; once I am running again. Patience... grrrrr.....

Well I am back in injury-town, code for I am so sick of this!

My PT believes it is a compensation injury and it is (hopefully) not too serious. I noted hip pain in my left hip earlier this week. The pain lingered and on my next run flared up as soon as I started so I shut it down immediately and saw my PT the next day and then my doc on Friday. Diagnosis was “it is likely tendinitis/sore tendon” and then the words I really needed to hear “It does not look serious, not a stress fracture”. Cool. So it is rest, ice, new stretch routine, vitamin-I and back to the basement bike trainer. If it is not improving in another week then it is back to the doc. Though I am working on it, my gait is still off from the ankle and I am going to have to slow down more and focus a lot more on my gait; once I am running again. Patience... grrrrr.....

I had a similar compensation injury a few years ago. My hip pain was on the outside of the hip, and it was diagnosed as trochanteric bursitis. I ended up getting a cortisone shot in the hip which lowered the inflammation for long enough (along with icing, better stretching, and reduced mileage for a couple weeks) to fix the problem.

I desperately need to have this summer break and turn over into fall. Between starting a new plan with increased pacing, the heat and a nagging, coughing chest cold since Labor Day that just won’t go away, the last week or so has me questioning my choice of hobby! The last few runs have just been so hard and wearing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!