The Running Thread - 2019

Hi all- new to this group. I have done a ton of Run Disneys in the past incl challenges. I am not good at training- like at all. But I have committed to doing the *GASP* Dopey in Jan. How do you all stay motivated. I moved to Dallas last year and its so hot I have to do treadmill training. How do you all stay on track and motivated! I know there are a gazillion training plans out there so not looking for those- just the how to stay motivated and stick to a plan. Anyone else on the struggebus??

I’m struggling with the heat at this point, as well. I’m too stubborn to move inside to the treadmill, though, so I adjust my pace based on the temp and humidity. I use a couple of techniques to keep myself motivated. With races on the calendar, I remind myself how miserable they’re going to feel if I’m not trained. On the positive front, I like to visualize parts of the upcoming races, working on strategies for achieving my goals and thinking about the rush finishing the goal will be. Ultimately, though, I’ve got a spreadsheet that tells me how long and how fast to run each day. If I don’t do it, I feel like I’m cheating myself.

Brookfield Zoo Run Run 5k

This has been a race I have wanted to do for years and it finally made the schedule this year. A fundraiser for the zoo, the entire race occurs on zoo grounds; while the first half mile or so is service road the rest of the course is in the public areas of the zoo.

Packet pick up was easy for me as I went Friday during the day. Bag was a string backpack in one of three animal shapes (monkey, hedgehog or ladybug) and contained the shirt and a flyer for a local sports team. Looking at the pick up line this morning it appeared to moving steadily. The race company corralled a bit like the WDW 5k, self seed, with those with strollers asked to be in the back of their pace corral or in the designated stroller corral. They also started each corral a few minutes apart to keep the course from being too congested. Despite the twists and turns the course takes I was able to maintain my slow pace.

Animals in the areas the run went past were outside for participants to see, with the exception of the goats which were hiding in their house so they could stay dry. Since some of the animals were out 90 minutes early today there were keepers who had to change up routines for both themselves and their charges this morning.

Finish time was 55:47, which isn’t bad considering I was only allowed to restart walking 10 days ago. However, Garmin showed the distance covered to be 3.05 miles. Since there is no way I managed to run under the tangents I strongly suspect the course was .2 to .4 miles short. Temperature was 64 with a constant drizzle.

@regul8ter18 did the course seem short to you too?

Sorry I have been MIA, I started a new job. I ended up not being able to do it this year. I rolled my ankle during my run the week before.

Yep! I’m training for my 4.5th wine and dine (I did the half of a half that was rained out)... I’m super excited and very happy to have come this far without my PF acting up. Actually DH, my son and I are also running a fun 5k on Saturday that takes place on the airport runway. Helping DS train has also helped me stay motivated.

Princess V - I don’t think it’s just your Florida heat that’s building up, even our moderate temps up north are doing a number on me. Usually by this time I can run later or even after dinner but lately I’ve been feeling the heat effects more quickly. Then again, maybe I’m getting old too! (Booo!)

I've been contemplating posting on this exact subject. I've been wondering if the heat does have a cumulative effect. At the beginning of summer (which happens in March now), it takes a couple of weeks to get heat acclimated and then I'm good. In previous years, I've ridden that until fall (which now happens in December). We still have 90s for next week and I think we hit 99-100 earlier this week.

This year, I just ran out of gas. It's mid-September and still hot as [insert curse word here]. Even my easy runs seem like death marches. It's like my body has said 'Enough'.

Does heat-acclimation have a shelf life?

The heat may be my fault since I challenged Mother Nature. (From a post in June.):

I've been feeling the same. I ran the Team Maggie 10K this weekend (its almost the same course as Possum Trot in June) and it was hotter and more humid than it was then. I'm over it.

Hi all- new to this group. I have done a ton of Run Disneys in the past incl challenges. I am not good at training- like at all. But I have committed to doing the *GASP* Dopey in Jan. How do you all stay motivated. I moved to Dallas last year and its so hot I have to do treadmill training. How do you all stay on track and motivated! I know there are a gazillion training plans out there so not looking for those- just the how to stay motivated and stick to a plan. Anyone else on the struggebus??

I'm in Dallas too and it's been a struggle the past month or so with the heat (WDW actually felt cool this past weekend compared to Dallas). I've talked myself out of many training runs, but I also know I need to do it so I'll just push myself out the door and focus on doing the distance and not caring how much time it takes. It looks like our highs for the next week are going to be around 90, so it's getting better.

I guess I stay motivated and stick to the plan because I "want" to run instead of feeling like I "have" to run. I enjoy running outside. I've come to enjoy the indoor cycling because it allows me to watch TV I otherwise wouldn't have time for. So one trick I use for indoor cycling is that is the only time I'm allowed to binge watch shows on Amazon Prime, Nextflix or Hulu. Want to know what happens in the next episode, better get on that bike to find out. The strength workouts are enjoyable because I do most of them with my wife and it motivates her to work out when she has a partner. My first exercise love is running. But I've come to love indoor cycling because of the TV reward and strength workouts because of the time I get to spend with my wife. I make it a priority in life such that somedays a 2 hour bike ride needs to start at 3:30am before I head to work because when I get home I won't have enough time to complete it before heading back into town to pick my wife up from the closing shift. And I get up to do that because I know when I toe the line, all that hard work will pay off on race day.

My training plan is well diversified so it feels fresh and challenging throughout. I relish the easy run days, enjoy the speed work, and accept the challenge of tempo days. I look forward to seeing what my body can do next. Training in the heat can be a challenge. Although thankfully it has mostly dissipated here in WI and wasn't nearly as bad as last year's constant T+D in the 160s. But when the high T+D was here, I'd just slow down, run at the same effort and not necessarily worry about how much slower I might be.

For me, I cherish the opportunity to run, or to cycle, or to strength workout. Because I know that at any moment that gift of having the time or physical ability to do so can be taken away. And I want to know when that time comes (hopefully not for a long time) that I no longer can do this, that I did everything I could during the time I could still do it. I also know that my bad habits can lead to an early grave as my Dr put it back in 2012. So I continue to put in good work so that I can lead a fruitful and fulfilling life with my daughter and lead by example. The 2012 me would have never be able to run around and coach K-1st grade Flag Football, heck I could barely walk up the stairs without being winded. But 2019 me can and enjoys every moment of that with my daughter as a lifetime experience.

Honestly, I'm always motivated to run because I genuinely love to do it, whether training for a race or not. The only struggle right now is the heat (I'm in West-Central FL, so yeah - I totally get it.) I still want very much to run - I just want it to not feel so awful lol! So my motivators right now focus on practical things I can do to manage the heat: I try to run at the cooler times of day, or I hit the pool and do deep-water running instead, or I use the treadmill and watch something good on TV/Netflix/Hulu/DVD. If I can mitigate the discomfort from heat, I can keep up my enjoyment of running, and when I'm enjoying what I'm doing, I don't need additional motivation!

just the how to stay motivated and stick to a plan. Anyone else on the struggebus??
This may not help, but whenever I had to go out for a run that I Just didn't feel like doing I told myself that it was actually x number of miles away from finishing the marathon and I was just practicing for how what that would feel like come race day.

Then on race day when I hit mile 22 (most of my maintenance runs were 4 miles), I told myself this was why I made sure to get out there for all of those runs. One more training run and I had done it so many times that I knew how to do it "easily."
I’m new to this group too and the struggle is real! Just so much of life tries to get in the way, right? Anyhow my strategies: a) talking with fellow runners (in person or, on the DIS) and b) remembering how badly it feels to run a race underprepared.
A training journal or log can also help. It reminds me of the need to get out there and do it because I have to hold myself accountable somewhere else besides the daily task list in my planner. Sometimes just the thought of having to report to coach that I didn't feel like it is enough to change the report from didn't feel like so I didn't go to "didn't feel like it, but I went anyways."

The struggle is definitely real. I'm one of the slower runners around here. One thing I've learned from training is that it prepares you for the race not just because it helps you build up the endurance necessary to go the distance on race day itself, but also because it helps you learn how to work through difficult moments in training. If this was easy, a whole lot more people would do it. So you've taken the first step.

I find that I am most consistent with a training plan- I find crossing off runs very satisfying and it bothers me to miss a run.

As far as motivation, I think that involving myself with other runners (which for me is basically completely online with Dis and Instagram) keeps me interested and excited about running. Seeing pictures or hearing about others' runs get me excited to get my own run in for the day.

I also think that sometimes we have to give ourselves a little "tough love." It's perfectly ok if running is not a priority at certain times in our lives! But we just have to be honest and not pretend like it is and continually make excuses.

I guess I stay motivated and stick to the plan because I "want" to run instead of feeling like I "have" to run. I enjoy running outside. I've come to enjoy the indoor cycling because it allows me to watch TV I otherwise wouldn't have time for. So one trick I use for indoor cycling is that is the only time I'm allowed to binge watch shows on Amazon Prime, Nextflix or Hulu. Want to know what happens in the next episode, better get on that bike to find out. The strength workouts are enjoyable because I do most of them with my wife and it motivates her to work out when she has a partner. My first exercise love is running. But I've come to love indoor cycling because of the TV reward and strength workouts because of the time I get to spend with my wife. I make it a priority in life such that somedays a 2 hour bike ride needs to start at 3:30am before I head to work because when I get home I won't have enough time to complete it before heading back into town to pick my wife up from the closing shift. And I get up to do that because I know when I toe the line, all that hard work will pay off on race day.

My training plan is well diversified so it feels fresh and challenging throughout. I relish the easy run days, enjoy the speed work, and accept the challenge of tempo days. I look forward to seeing what my body can do next. Training in the heat can be a challenge. Although thankfully it has mostly dissipated here in WI and wasn't nearly as bad as last year's constant T+D in the 160s. But when the high T+D was here, I'd just slow down, run at the same effort and not necessarily worry about how much slower I might be.

For me, I cherish the opportunity to run, or to cycle, or to strength workout. Because I know that at any moment that gift of having the time or physical ability to do so can be taken away. And I want to know when that time comes (hopefully not for a long time) that I no longer can do this, that I did everything I could during the time I could still do it. I also know that my bad habits can lead to an early grave as my Dr put it back in 2012. So I continue to put in good work so that I can lead a fruitful and fulfilling life with my daughter and lead by example. The 2012 me would have never be able to run around and coach K-1st grade Flag Football, heck I could barely walk up the stairs without being winded. But 2019 me can and enjoys every moment of that with my daughter as a lifetime experience.
THANK YOU so much for reminding me of the number one reason that I run - because I can! 10 years ago I went thru a major injury/condition that left me not able to run or even sure I would ever again. I was never in love with running but my rehab included it. (I danced and skated and those things are still things I struggle with so running is my substitute at this point in my life) I have spent the last 8 years running for all those people out there who want to but can’t, including my 2009 self. I plan to run for as long as I can in life and hope to someday be one of those octogenarians that currently pass me at rundisney races.

And on that note, even tho I’m exhausted from a long day at work, I’m going to lace up and go for my run right now.

Thank you!

I find that I am most consistent with a training plan- I find crossing off runs very satisfying and it bothers me to miss a run.
Same for me.

If I don't have a plan, I'm lazy.

Give me a plan and I'm laser-focused.

If it's on the plan, I'm doing it or feeling guilty. It doesn't matter if the plan has an A-race at the end or not.

Same for me.

If I don't have a plan, I'm lazy.

Give me a plan and I'm laser-focused.

If it's on the plan, I'm doing it or feeling guilty. It doesn't matter if the plan has an A-race at the end or not.

This. Every one of my runs on my calendar including the distance I’m going and once something is put on the schedule it gets done. On days that are lousy, I have some sick fun with it... like yes I’m setting a PR for the highest temperature I’ve run in, or wow that’s the most rain I’ve ever seen. Embrace the suck and race day is that much sweeter of a victory.

My 'would you rather' is crazy and based on a real decision I need to make.
Would you rather try to find a race to run in Tokyo or go to Tokyo Disney for 6 hours before getting on a plane to come home. My co-workers think both are crazy, I am curious as to what people who love running and love Disney would pick. Also, in either case you would be on your own, no family, friends, and definitely no taking co-workers.

And yes, sight seeing would also be fun and in your answer you can pick that, but not for the 'would you rather' part. {because I have been to Tokyo a lot and seen the sights but no theme parks, and love the Ghibli museum but it is not available for my one day}

Would you rather try to find a race to run in Tokyo or go to Tokyo Disney for 6 hours before getting on a plane to come home. My co-workers think both are crazy, I am curious as to what people who love running and love Disney would pick. Also, in either case you would be on your own, no family, friends, and definitely no taking co-workers.

And yes, sight seeing would also be fun and in your answer you can pick that, but not for the 'would you rather' part. {because I have been to Tokyo a lot and seen the sights but no theme parks, and love the Ghibli museum but it is not available for my one day}
Tokyo Disney for sure

Would you rather try to find a race to run in Tokyo or go to Tokyo Disney for 6 hours before getting on a plane to come home.
Tokyo Disney without a doubt.

I think finding a race with the right timing would be difficult. If you were looking for a longer race, I would probably be a little uncomfortable to take on-course fuel without having experience with it. I also think a long international flight post-race would be tough.

Tokyo Disney looks so incredible. I haven't been to any of the international parks, so I'd jump at the chance to experience one!

Would you rather try to find a race to run in Tokyo or go to Tokyo Disney for 6 hours before getting on a plane to come home.

Tokyo Disney without a doubt. Are you going to have a chance to get out of Tokyo at all while you're there? Rural Japan is beautiful! I spent 2 months over there in the Sendai area in college and got to go up to Hirosaki for a cherry blossom festival. Parts of the countryside are just breathtaking.

Run a race. There’s no better way to enjoy a city than running through it with its residents.

And after a couple of days of slightly better air quality where I managed to run (not great air, but at least tolerable)... the haze came back with a vengeance today.

I looked out the window at work and realised I couldn't see the buildings that I can usually see from the window. It looked like there was mist or fog in the air... just that it was smoke rather than mist or fog.

Apparently flights got cancelled again at the tiny airport here. We have a huge international airport which has some sort of guidance system so they are OK, but the tiny airport doesn't have this guidance system so flights apparently can't operate there when visibility is poor.

So once again I couldn't run outdoors today. Though at least I managed to get on a treadmill at the gym, so got a quick run in.

This haze is really derailing my Wine and Dine training plans - was trying to extend the distance of my long runs (currently around 10k but was planning to increase), but don't think that's going to happen as long as the haze keeps up! Doing long runs on the treadmill will be really difficult, firstly due to being bored out of my mind, and secondly because treadmill etiquette means that I shouldn't monopolise the treadmill if someone is waiting for it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!