The Running Thread - 2019

Hi everyone - I have a quick question.

For context, I began running last year, but took a couple months off due to bronchitis. When I started last year, I registered for the 2019 Star Wars 10k. I am at a 14:25 mile and my longest mileage has been about 7 miles (though I feel like I could go longer if needed) so I'm not SUPER worried about the race other than the heat. (This is saying a lot for me because when I started, I was doing couch to 5k and thought I was going to DIE on week1)

All this to say that I'm new to running and admittedly don't know nearly enough about it. I'm an interval runner. I currently do 3.5 min run to 2 min walk. However, lately when I read about interval running, it's in seconds usually - ex. 30sec/30 sec.

Is it bad to be doing longer interval runs like I'm doing? Does it matter? Eventually, I'd like to increase my running and decrease my walking and do a half marathon and then a full. I'm just trying to figure out if I train or run "wrong."

I have a lot to learn still and thought this would be a good first spot to ask.

There is no right or wrong, you need to do what works for you. I have heard many podcasts with Jeff and he says you need to play around with what works before for you. Personally, I do my walk breaks a bit different. I do my walk breaks based on my heart rate. My zone 2 heart rate is 138 bpm- 148bpm. I run until I get to the top of my limit and the take a walk break until I get to the bottom of my limit. The length of time I walk depends on my fitness level. At first it will take longer for my heart to slow down so my walk breaks are longer. As I get in better shape, my heart recovers quicker, so my breaks might be 30 seconds.

This has worked for me over the years.

Good morning everyone. Yesterday we had to say goodbye to Dixie. It may not have been the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it's definitely in the top 3. While that decision was not easy, and I wish I had more time with her, it was the right thing to do. On Friday she are some McDonald's french fries on our drive home. We hung out Friday evening BBQ'ing and playing. She had a ribeye and watermelon for dinner. She slept in our bed Friday night and got bacon for breakfast. Plenty of love from us all. I miss her so much already and the house just seems so different without her here.

View attachment 388793 View attachment 388794 View attachment 388795 View attachment 388796 View attachment 388797

I am sorry about your loss!

Good morning everyone. Yesterday we had to say goodbye to Dixie. It may not have been the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it's definitely in the top 3. While that decision was not easy, and I wish I had more time with her, it was the right thing to do. On Friday she are some McDonald's french fries on our drive home. We hung out Friday evening BBQ'ing and playing. She had a ribeye and watermelon for dinner. She slept in our bed Friday night and got bacon for breakfast. Plenty of love from us all. I miss her so much already and the house just seems so different without her here.

So sorry to hear about Dixie.

Sorry to hijack the running talk, but I need you guys to tune into https://akc.tv/ tonight. My Border Collie Harlow and I are running in the AKC Agility National Championship Finals!!! Doubt we’ll win, but we’ll have fun and do our best. :)
Aw man, I wish I'd seen this earlier! I went back and watched the replay and saw it though. :) Congrats to you guys, you had a great run! I had only watched the 16" preferred and 24" groups earlier because a local-ish lady that runs the facility we trial a lot at was running in those finals (and won the 16" preferred one).

Penny and I will never be national finalists (well definitely not at AKC because we primarily do USDAA :D), but we have fun. :) I am jealous of people with fast dogs with lots of drive, though! Penny likes running and jumping but she's a mutt and her drive is wishy washy. :D

So the American Tobacco Trial Marathon was this weekend which I know is a race that a lot of Boston Qualifiers enjoy as it’s flat and temperatures are usually ideal. One of the owners in the Rhodesian Club waited to take her dog out on the trail after the race finished so it should have been cleaned.

Just a sad reminder when you are racing to be mindful of how you handle your trash.

B31904A1-FBD2-4FFA-A5A6-5BE1182FEF98.jpeg C56D404F-7777-4163-B7AF-AF1165B4DEB6.jpeg

QOTD: Outside of Disney have you ever done a running centric vacation?

ATTQOTD: Yes, a few times actually. Our trip to run the Boston Marathon was one. I've taken shorter trips to Tennessee to run the Navy 10 Nautical Mile race. The last one I have done was a running camp in North Carolina with Zapfitness. Really cool thing to do with a lot of great advice and its a little higher in elevation so the temps felt like fall for me in July.

Kinda - I have traveled for other races, but never with the intention of actually vacationing there. Myrtle Beach is an example - the race was in February when I ran it (did it about 5 times). Myrtle Beach is pretty miserable in February. Almost nothing is open, and the weather is cold and windy. For me, the only place that I have traveled to with the intention of both vacationing and running a race is WDW.

Running vacations, I've gone to RnR Vegas. I've done little weekend trips to Richmond and Annapolis for races., and will probably add Philadelphia to that list this year. I hope to have a race vacation to Nashville and New Orleans at some point too :)

So the American Tobacco Trial Marathon was this weekend which I know is a race that a lot of Boston Qualifiers enjoy as it’s flat and temperatures are usually ideal. One of the owners in the Rhodesian Club waited to take her dog out on the trail after the race finished so it should have been cleaned.

Just a sad reminder when you are racing to be mindful of how you handle your trash.

View attachment 388946 View attachment 388947
I'm curious about this post as ATR is a race where discarded clothing is given to charity. I would have expected the gloves to have been picked up, unless they were discarded outside of the first 2 miles of the race.

ATTQOTD: Yes, a few times actually. Our trip to run the Boston Marathon was one. I've taken shorter trips to Tennessee to run the Navy 10 Nautical Mile race. The last one I have done was a running camp in North Carolina with Zapfitness. Really cool thing to do with a lot of great advice and its a little higher in elevation so the temps felt like fall for me in July.

Sorry about Dixie.

ATTQOTD: I've done NY, Chicago and DC all for running vacations. I have a group of guys that I run with and we try and do 1 or 2 travel races a year. While we enjoyed all 3 trips Marine Corps in DC wasn't quite as enjoyable as the other 2. We enjoyed hanging out there but the race events seemed much more spread out than NY or Chicago.

I'd like to try one of the training camps.

ATTQOTD-A few times but most of the time we run and go home.

We've done the Shamrock Marathon weekend in Virginia Beach many times. Most of the activities revolved around the running events that weekend but we still managed to squeeze in some activities for the kids. Cocoa Beach HM was a nice getaway for Mrs. Slogger and myself as was the Frederick HM. Hot Chocolate 15k in Philly was a fun family weekend (baseball, cheesesteaks, museums)

I'm curious about this post as ATR is a race where discarded clothing is given to charity. I would have expected the gloves to have been picked up, unless they were discarded outside of the first 2 miles of the race.

I told her to contact the race director because of the clean up that should have been done. I’ll follow up with her later today if she doesn’t update her post.

ATTQOTD: I've done far too many to have only been running for three years, but they don't offer many races near me. So far I have done Destin, New Orleans, Nashville, Kiawah Island, Asheville, Chattanooga, Savannah, and Atlanta multiple times. I'll be adding Biloxi, Mississippi to the list in two weeks.

So so sorry for your loss, @LSUlakes :hug:

ATTQOTD: I also did Navy Nautical Mile in Tennessee but I wouldn't really call it a vacation as we drove home the next day. But I did run the Silo District Marathon in Waco and we definitely made that a mini-vacation, exploring the Magnolia Market and the shops in downtown Waco. Waco gets a lot of hate on here but we really enjoyed the trip and will be going back when it isn't a race weekend or holiday weekend, etc. The places we wanted to go (Jo's cupcake bakery and Chip's restaurant) were crazy busy and we couldn't visit them. The marathon, not so much, lol! Hot, humid and hilly! Will not be doing THAT again. Maybe the half.....? :)

@LSUlakes I'm so sorry about Dixie. It sounds like she had the perfect last few days with you and your family. We lost a beagle a couple years ago due to a tick disease and have another beagle right now, so your loss makes me even sadder. But doing what was best for her even though it hurt so much just shows how much you love her and I know that she knew that. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter