The Running Thread - 2018

Next random question:
I have been watching T+D and how runs feel. My non-quantitative assessment is that humidity is worse than actual temperature. For example, I can wake up and run at 6am when it is 70 °F and 98%RH for a T+D of 140, or I can wait until afternoon when it is 80 °F and 60% RH with the same T+D. I feel worse for the lower temp, higher humidity. Is this just because it is early (and I likely have eaten nothing), or is the humidity really worse even if they are the same?
I firmly believe that this is a very individual thing. I thrive in high humidity - when it drops below 70%, my lungs protest loudly. And the sun here in FL makes a huge difference in how I feel outdoors. So, as an example, a morning with an actual temp of 80*, 98% humidity, and overcast skies feels very comfortable to me, but a couple hours later, when the actual temp is 90*, humidity drops to 70%, and not a cloud in the sky, I get into serious heat danger. I rarely bother to look at T+D: the Feels Like has always been an accurate assessment of how I'll actually feel outside.

ATTQOTD: If I'm being somewhat "realistic" with this fantasy, I'd say a top of the line Garmin, some Apple Air Pods, and a bunch more pairs of shoes and sets of running clothes. If we're being totally unrealistic, then I'd go for a house in San Francisco where I can comfortably run year-round and also train on hills, etc. Also, San Francisco is just an awesome town and I'd love to live there (again) some day! :)
I went full blown unrealistic. I think realistically the thing I would want that I probably couldn't ever really make happen financially would be a lap pool.

My answer to today's question was an indoor pool with an indoor track that went around it :) It would be nice to have that option for bad weather, etc. I thought about unlimited massages and PT or a personal chef as well, they were definitely strong contenders!

I don't like Sparkle Skirts, either, also because they're heavy, hot and too long. In hot weather, I only run in Skirt Sports skorts now. They have a gazillion different kinds with various lengths, and they do also sell shorts. Worth looking at their website! I find their construction to be more comfortable than Sparkle Skirts, and the material lighter and more airy. The Lioness is my favorite: it's shorter than Sparkle Skirts, less volume in the skirt, and the shorts have grippy things at the bottom to keep them from riding up. Pockets on both legs, plus a zip pocket in back.

Another vote for skirt sports! I really like them as well.

I like athleta too. I know you mentioned the shorts you like are on back order but have you tried their other options? Maybe the all in short?

I was going to say I didn’t have anything because other than travel I’m not real fancy and I don’t like owning tons of stuff. But someone to make all my meals? Sign me up!!
I'm not much for having tons of stuff either. I just need running shoes, running clothes, my phone with Map My Run on it, and for longer runs, a handheld water bottle and some fuel.

But I am down for a running camp at Disney World if @Chasing Dopey has one and for the Tron running experience as soon as @DopeyBadger sets it up!

@LSUlakes I have a race to add
August 24 - Disney at Heart - Midnight Flight 10k (NG/NA)

Next random question:
I have been watching T+D and how runs feel. My non-quantitative assessment is that humidity is worse than actual temperature. For example, I can wake up and run at 6am when it is 70 °F and 98%RH for a T+D of 140, or I can wait until afternoon when it is 80 °F and 60% RH with the same T+D. I feel worse for the lower temp, higher humidity. Is this just because it is early (and I likely have eaten nothing), or is the humidity really worse even if they are the same?
@DopeyBadger help me out with this. The dew point temperature is actually the best way to measure how much moisture is in the air and how humid it is. The relative humidity is a relative calculation of the ratio between the temperature and dew point. For example, you may have a morning where the temperature is 60 and the dew point is 55. The relative humidity would be 82% but it would feel comfortable due to the low dew point. So, in your example, the afternoon dew point would be 65 and thus, it would be less humid than it was in the morning where the dew point was 70. I am no meteorologist but i would venture to say that running in higher humidity, ie higher dew point is more difficult simply because there is more moisture in the air and thus you are getting less oxygen per breath.

I went full blown unrealistic. I think realistically the thing I would want that I probably couldn't ever really make happen financially would be a lap pool.

Well shoot. That's exactly what I would want too! I've mentioned before that I'm a lifelong competitive swimmer. One of the great things about running is that I can roll out of bed and just go run. Can't do that for swimming. At a minimum I need to drive myself to a pool. So, I have long dreamed of having a lap pool in my back yard. (I have also dreamed of having a back yard big enough to fit a lap pool!)

I do have an "endless pool" in my backyard, but I've found I like swimming treadmills about as much as I like running treadmills (aka--not very much).

Next random question:

I firmly believe that this is a very individual thing. I thrive in high humidity - when it drops below 70%, my lungs protest loudly. And the sun here in FL makes a huge difference in how I feel outdoors. So, as an example, a morning with an actual temp of 80*, 98% humidity, and overcast skies feels very comfortable to me, but a couple hours later, when the actual temp is 90*, humidity drops to 70%, and not a cloud in the sky, I get into serious heat danger. I rarely bother to look at T+D: the Feels Like has always been an accurate assessment of how I'll actually feel outside.

@DopeyBadger help me out with this. The dew point temperature is actually the best way to measure how much moisture is in the air and how humid it is. The relative humidity is a relative calculation of the ratio between the temperature and dew point. For example, you may have a morning where the temperature is 60 and the dew point is 55. The relative humidity would be 82% but it would feel comfortable due to the low dew point. So, in your example, the afternoon dew point would be 65 and thus, it would be less humid than it was in the morning where the dew point was 70. I am no meteorologist but i would venture to say that running in higher humidity, ie higher dew point is more difficult simply because there is more moisture in the air and thus you are getting less oxygen per breath.

I'll be interested to see what our fearless coach has to say on this. But for me, I find the radiant heat from the summer sun to way more than offset the additional humidity we suffer under in the pre-dawn hours. If I don't get myself out of bed and on my runs by 5:30 AM, then my runs become a much greater struggle, with higher heart rates and more difficulty maintaining pace.

I'll be interested to see what our fearless coach has to say on this. But for me, I find the radiant heat from the summer sun to way more than offset the additional humidity we suffer under in the pre-dawn hours. If I don't get myself out of bed and on my runs by 5:30 AM, then my runs become a much greater struggle, with higher heart rates and more difficulty maintaining pace.
Same here - I'll trade 100% humidity running in the early morning to avoid the sun beating down on my noggin. That said, I have run in several deserts around the world and it is not nearly as bad as running with both direct sunlight and humidity. In other words, the deep South at 1pm on an August day is about as bad as it gets for me, as a runner. I love it, but it kills my runs.

@LSUlakes I have a race to add
August 24 - Disney at Heart - Midnight Flight 10k (NG/NA)

Hopefully you did not register for this race twice, but this is the second time you listed it or somehow it was already in the OP. Not a issue for me, just was seeing if by accident you registered twice.

Next random question:

Agreed on all accounts. So in your example @TheHamm you're looking at a T+D of 140 (70+70) vs a 145 (80+65). So if it were purely T+D then the 140 should feel "better", but there's a lot more to it that isn't taken into account from just temp and dew point. As others have brought up the solar radiation plays a big role as well. Full sun vs cloudy at a T+D of 140 isn't going to feel the same. What about wind? A nice breeze might easily make one "feel" better than the other. Some are morning runners and others are evening runners.

Once that dew point crests above 65 is when things start to feel uncomfortable for most people. But this is a "general" good system and is assuredly not the end all be all.

If you want to go full blown crazy, then go for "WetBulb Globe Temperature". https://www.weather.gov/tsa/wbgt
That's an even higher standard because it does taken into account solar radiation and wind. But there's just not a quick easy place to find that info on the fly before heading out the door.

A cursory search found this: https://runnersconnect.net/dew-point-effect-running/

The best method is to track your own personal training runs with Pace, Temp, Dew Point, and Cloud cover notes. Then when race day comes up you can find a reasonable match from training to get an idea of a reasonable goal.

Convince me to use real money, but not the quantity suggested by the current QOTD.
My answer earlier was serious about wishing for all the shorts- mine will still be soaked with sweat and I am not doing another stupid load of laundry today, so I will not be running tomorrow at this rate.
I search this thread for previous topics on a semi-regular basis, and want to go back a few pages. https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-running-thread-2018.3655354/page-440#post-59516466
I have one pair of athleta be free shorts that I wash almost every day and I am not having it any more, I am admitting I need more than one pair of shorts I do not hate for summer running. I tried the well loved sparkle skirts and am willing to risk public mocking by saying I do not love the sparkle skirt -too thick, I have too much velcro in my life for snags, they are a bit long, and just too much. Several of you were singing the praises of Oiselle, which also has shorts with pockets. I can't find them locally to try them on, and I am not in love with the colors as they appear on my screen. My current favorite shorts are 6 inches. The version that is 4" chafes, so I am concerned about going that short. What do I start with? Or suggest something else?
ETA: I would just buy what I have, but they have been on back order since June. That is right, I have been wearing 1 pair of shorts 3.5x/week since June.

Have you checked eBay for the Athleta shorts? I found a new pair of those on there in the spring. I have three pairs now and I love them. The Dobby Be Free Knickers aren’t too bad either. The two pair that I own are a lighter weight material than the Be Free shorts and have big pockets on the legs.

Hopefully you did not register for this race twice, but this is the second time you listed it or somehow it was already in the OP. Not a issue for me, just was seeing if by accident you registered twice.
Oops. My bad. I guess I sent it to you with my yearly races because I was planning to register for it, but I actually just registered last week and failed to look at the OP. It’s almost local, and I’ve run it for the past 5 years.

QOTD: In addition to the Disney Adult Running camp and membership to @DopeyBadger’s awesome running facility, I’d love to have a nutritionist to set up a fueling plan for me and the family. In addition, I’m going to need someone to follow me around to knock unapproved food out of my hand.

Seriously, Jeff Galloway has a running camp several times a year in Rosemary Beach that I would love to go to someday.

This is a timely conversation. I'm thinking about registering for an indoor tri at the local Y, on October 13th. The swim portion is 10 minutes long. I can swim enough to not drown, but that's about it. Maybe 2 lengths of the pool.

I need the Couch to 5K (whatever the equivalent distance is) program for swimming. Not sure yet how many days a week I'm willing to devote to swim training.

Any suggestions from the triathletes or swimmers?

I have never been a good swimmer. I wish I was. I am very scared about an Ironman because of the swim. I don’t care about the bike and I can do a marathon. I’m worried about dying in the water or zapping all of my energy in the swim and being dead for the other two legs. But, I was once afraid of the marathon and I did three of those so far. So, I still hope to tackle the Ironman and not let fear hold me back.

QOTD: If money was no object what running related product or service other than a destination race would you buy.

Todays question is a suggestion from a fellow poster from this thread.

ATTQOTD: I would pay for a coaching service that would not only just create a training program for me, but have access to them weekly to discuss the runs, pacing, and make modifications along the way.

Honestly, there isn’t much I dream of buying for running that I don’t already have. I guess I would love a nice treadmill in my house for the winter. I also wouldn’t mind a regular massage to keep me loose. But overall I am pretty content with what I already have.

Humidity sucks the life out of me... at B2B last weekend, it was brutal, it was like 72 or 73 temp and equal dew point. Whatever the sum was, when the dew point is the same as the temp, I know I'm going to have a bad day.

I feel a little better seeing all the responses to this post about the brutal conditions... it wasn't just me being a wuss. :)

https://www.facebook.com/tdbankbeac...7805.120667297947530/2209985615682344/?type=3

"When somebody asks today how your #TDB2B10K went, show them this image. Local photographer Mark Scribner captures the agony - and the glory - of the hot, muggy conditions that tested our collective mettle. You left it all out on the course Saturday and for that you should be proud."

skRqJUwl.jpg

So - has anyone had heel surgery? Overall in general, but more specifically to correct a Haglund's Deformity or a heel spur affecting your Achilles?

I had my final consultation on my foot that has been bothering me since before Marathon Weekend this year and his recommendation was immediate surgery with a nine-week recovery period. My other option is to continue non-weight bearing bracing with twice-weekly ultrasound treatment, but there's still a greater than 50-percent chance I'll need surgery anyway and then the nine-week recovery period.

I am tentatively scheduled to have the procedure done on Friday afternoon, but I keep going back and forth on what to do.

If anyone is curious what my most recent x-ray looks like - and what screws in my clubfoot look like! - I'm going to post a picture under a Spoiler Tag:

IMG_5247.jpeg

So - has anyone had heel surgery? Overall in general, but more specifically to correct a Haglund's Deformity or a heel spur affecting your Achilles?

I had my final consultation on my foot that has been bothering me since before Marathon Weekend this year and his recommendation was immediate surgery with a nine-week recovery period. My other option is to continue non-weight bearing bracing with twice-weekly ultrasound treatment, but there's still a greater than 50-percent chance I'll need surgery anyway and then the nine-week recovery period.

I am tentatively scheduled to have the procedure done on Friday afternoon, but I keep going back and forth on what to do.

If anyone is curious what my most recent x-ray looks like - and what screws in my clubfoot look like! - I'm going to post a picture under a Spoiler Tag:

I know it sucks, but I think surgery now is probably the best bet. At the end of the 9 week period will you be able to run again, or is that when you can start doing normal things without a boot or something of the sort? Is cross training of any sort an option? Wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted on whatever decision you make.

I know it sucks, but I think surgery now is probably the best bet. At the end of the 9 week period will you be able to run again, or is that when you can start doing normal things without a boot or something of the sort? Is cross training of any sort an option? Wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted on whatever decision you make.

Three weeks in a cast, three weeks in a boot, three weeks in PT and then I can start training again. That's basically the timeline he laid out for me today. Each segment could get boosted an extra week if there is any damage to my Achilles that they need to repair while they're in there reshaping my heel. So - may be a total recovery period of 9-12 weeks, with 3-4 being active PT.

I haven't had the surgery, but I think with those odds, I'd opt to just get it done and over with! Good luck with whichever treatment option you choose!

Three weeks in a cast, three weeks in a boot, three weeks in PT and then I can start training again. That's basically the timeline he laid out for me today. Each segment could get boosted an extra week if there is any damage to my Achilles that they need to repair while they're in there reshaping my heel. So - may be a total recovery period of 9-12 weeks, with 3-4 being active PT.
PT will help so much! I still remember the feeling post surgery when my scar tissue popped at PT and it was the best feeling. Once you are in the boot - you can do upper body to keep your cardio up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter