The Running Thread - 2018

@SarahDisney You aren't ever alone. As much as I love running when the endorphins are flowing...it's a hard hobby and it's not always fun and sometimes it feels like a second job. But thinking of my peeps on here helps remind me that others can get through tough things...so can I :)

I had to take a mental break earlier this year which resulted in a lag in my training and that's ok...but coming back from it means I'm working up to my previous fitness. Which makes it harder than it needed to be. But being honest with myself meant I needed that semi-break.
And I'm happy to be back at it fully now.

Be courageously authentic to yourself!

ATTQOTD: I played soccer up through high school. In college I did nothing and gained a fair bit of weight. So a couple years after college I finally decided to ge the weight off and O started running as a part of that. I never did anything more than a 5K at that pint. I kept that up for a few years but slowly got away from it. Then for some years I only did a 5K or two a year and that was about the extent of my running. Then in late ‘16 I decided to get healthy again. I picked up running once more. I slowly got back into it and then about March of ast year something just sort of clicked and I fell in love with it.

ATTQOTD:

I've documented most of my story and struggles in my journal. Running was my last resort attempt to lose weight and become happier with myself. It has worked for me for the most part. I was able to lose 80 pounds (started at 260, peaked in my training a few years later at just under 180) and I was happy with where I was at and where I was going. Then I lost my dog, suffered a rotator cuff tear, and developed internal bleeding from an ulcer caused by one of the medications I was prescribed for the rotator cuff tear (I have never used an NSAID since) all within the span of 2 months. I couldn't run for two months and since then my motivation has lagged, training has become a subsistence level chore, and I have been gaining back weight and losing confidence. I struggle at times to remember what I was doing right when things were going well and I struggle all the time with my innate tendency to procrastinate and insane belief that I can think my way into an easy way to lose weight and stay fit.

I keep going because I know that I loved running. I loved how it made me feel; the extra confidence it gave me. Things aren't going great right now, but I know I can get back to where I was and exceed even those heights. So I keep trying and every time I overcome the urge to be lazy or put it off until tomorrow I make a note to remember the things I like about running so that I can use them to get moving the next day and the day after that. It's going to work.

ATTQOTD: Great answers to this questions. I ran a little track in middle school and 1st two years in high school. Stopped track to focus on football my last two years. Fast Forward to around 1996 or so, after years of not much physical activity, we joined the Y to start working out. I mainly did weights for the first several years, than added the elliptical to the work out. After a while decided to start doing some walking on the treadmill. Walking got boring, so moved up to some light running on the mill.

At some point around 2009 or so, I decided to start doing a small amount of running on the streets. Had all the wrong clothes for that. Cotton shirts in Houston in the summer just don't work. The shirt would be about 5 lbs of sweat by the end of a run.

After several years of just running, decided to sign up for my first race (a half) in late 2011. My wife asked me if I should train for it. I kinda thought I was with the running I was doing. Turns out I was shockingly decent at it. I was mainly running by myself, so I had no clue at all about how fast or slow I was. So I put down an expected finish of 1:50, and was placed in coral 5 at RNR San Antonio. I ran the race in about 1:42 and finished in 635th out of over 19000.....I was flabbergasted. I really had no clue I was on the faster side of things.

Nowadays, I run because I do like it, and I really like to eat. I really don't do any other kind of workouts, so running is sorta my thing, and I enjoy it.

Some great answers to yesterdays question! When I posted it, I did not think it would generate that much conversation, but it appears every now and then I ask a good question. Just wanted to say for those who struggle with running at times, just keep at it or you will end up like me starting over again and having lost all of my gains over the years. Yall are doing a awesome job so keep it up!

QOTD: I think most of us usually have our big race of the year early in the first quarter of the year, which means most of the hard runs are usually ran in cooler temps. For those who run a fall marathon, how far out do you start your plan, and how do you handle those long runs of 13 - 20 miles during the summer months?

ATTQOTD: I've never run a fall marathon and summers down here will probably keep it that way. The earliest half I run is mid October and at least by then we have a front or two come through and bring our morning lows back to the 60's. At that point I am well prepared for a half as my marathon training starts in early September and my long runs have not gone much more than 15 at that point. But a full marathon would require training runs in July and August which have our morning lows just south of 80 and it heats up in a hurry. I guess the only way to get a 20 miler in would be to start before 5 AM to finish before 8:30 ish. So its possible, but not high on my priority list.

This week we have the following folks with races:

19 - @disneydaydreamer33 - Ogden Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
19 - @BoilerGirl91 - Cleveland Marathon 5k (NG / N/A)
19 - @MissLiss279 - Fargo Marathon (4:25:00 / N/A)
19 - @xjillianpaige - Martha's Vineyard Half Marathon (2:45:00 / N/A)
19 - @TCB in FLA - Mountains to Main St Half Marathon (2:19:59 / N/A)
19 - @FredtheDuck - St. Michael's Running Festival (TBD / N/A)
20 - @PrincessMickey - Colfax 10 Miler (2:07:00 / N/A)
20 - Boilergirl91 - Cleveland Marathon 10k (NG / N/A)
20 - @Miranda - Wallis Sands Half Marathon (2:52:00 / N/A)
20 - @TheHamm - Ann Arbor Marathon 10K (1:20:00 / N/A)
20 - @apdebord - Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
20 - @BikeFan - Marine Corps Semper Five Miler (NG / N/A)
20 - BikeFan - Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! Hope you have a great race and safe travels to and from race day. If you would like to revise your race goal or if someone else would like to add a race to this weekend list, just let me know. We look forward to hearing how your race goes and hopefully lots of PR's!

Last edited:

Love this and so true. I can say in all honesty, I've never regretted going out for a run once I'm done. But, there are times (this week being one) where it's very easy to find an excuse not to run. And, sometimes, as @roxymama said, it can be beneficial to take a break.

ATTQOTD: My next big race is Chicago marathon in October. I'm starting my official @DopeyBadger training plan the first week of June. Much like the early answer to the QOTD, you just have to manage the long runs in the summer. We start early in the morning and drink a lot of water and electrolytes and slow down.

ATTQOTD: A very timely question as I was just wondering when I should start my "official" training (aka ask @DopeyBadger for a new plan) for my November 4th marathon. I know when I want to start training (mid/late August) but not sure if that is long enough lead time. And the heat here in the south is exactly why I want to start as late as possible. :confused3

I love that quote so much, I got it on a medal rack! :teeth:
Medal rack.jpg

ATTQOTD: The Richmond Marathon in November has pretty much been my target full every year, so I'm used to adding in workouts to my training beginning in late summer. A lot of what has already been said about training in heat applies to my fall marathon prep - I drink more water, slow my pace, and try to run during the cooler parts of the day. For tempos or speed work, I'll usually hit the treadmill, both because it's cooler inside and also because the treadmill helps me hit my target paces easier.

As for long runs in the training cycle, those usually don't start until September or so, when the heat is (usually) starting to get a little more bearable here in VA. Also, I'm more of an overall-volume type of runner, so I rarely do long runs over 16 miles. The great part about training for a fall marathon is that once the cool temps actually arrive, you'll get an effortless speed boost just from the temperature adjustment, which is a nice psychological boost.

ATTQOTD: A very timely question as I was just wondering when I should start my "official" training (aka ask @DopeyBadger for a new plan) for my November 4th marathon. I know when I want to start training (mid/late August) but not sure if that is long enough lead time. And the heat here in the south is exactly why I want to start as late as possible. :confused3

My first marathon was last November 4th and @DopeyBadger had my plan start on June 26th :eek: It could have been longer since it was my first marathon though. This year I am running my only marathon on December 8th and I think he said the plan would start mid to late August. MUCH better being in the South too!

QOTD: I think most of us usually have our big race of the year early in the first quarter of the year, which means most of the hard runs are usually ran in cooler temps. For those who run a fall marathon, how far out do you start your plan, and how do you handle those long runs of 13 - 20 miles during the summer months?
ATTQOTD: As usual, I'm the outlier on this one... I don't do fall marathons, because there is just no way I'm able to hit big mileage mid-summer in FL. It's a real bummer because I'd like to do MCM one day, but the timing is beyond awful for training in FL.

OTOH, I've been doing the WDW Marathon the past few years and every year, exactly ONE of my long training runs has been in weather that might be considered "cool", so I'm pretty familiar with long training runs in the heat. I keep a base of 8-10 miles through summer and start building on that in Sept - which is very much still summer here, but a little better than July-Aug. I just do my longest runs at whatever pace feels
comfortable and do all the things I mentioned earlier to deal with the heat. It is what it is, so I don't worry about anything other than self-preservation! Inevitably, my pace magically speeds up as soon as the cool weather finally comes.

There was so much to read and think about in the last 5 (!) pages.

ATTQOTD: My additions are:
1. If you are not running during 'high sun' hours, switch to a visor. Even a mesh hat traps a huge amount of heat. Only do this if sun exposure is not an issue.
I do a lot of low buns. They frequently end up messy but that's not the goal. It does keep it up off my neck which is key. I've also done high ponytails but I typically prefer having it completely up and that lets it brush the back of my neck, so it's not my first choice.

As a new owner of a hat purchased for running, and a person with very long hair frequently in a bun, and it being warm enough to wear less clothing, I appreciate these comments. The ponytail when running in a tank rubs all over my sweaty neck and back, super yuck and makes me (non-rationally, I know) mad when I run. So I run in buns. Which do not work with the hat. And my head is already sweaty, and the hat made it worse. I commented on this to several of the people I know wear hats and they all thought it was madness that I would think my head would sweat 357% more with a hat. I could not find a standard test measurement for volume of head sweat, but I am confident my number is reasonable.

QOTD: What brought you to running and is that reason the same today?
A

Short answer: There are many reasons I started and before that tried to start running. Many of them are the same, but there are a few more now.

Long winded answer: I had a roommate who decided to train for a marathon. I thought she was crazy, eating straight up ketchup for salt. I love her, but I thought she was a weirdo. I was more than happy to walk a mile and a half to and from work everyday, but no to waking early and eating ketchup. Years later weirdo old roommate introduced me to a guy I dated for a few years. He ran. He loved it. I wanted to hang out with him and eat all the ice cream as he did, so I tried to run with him. Bad idea, he was not so interested in going slow or taking brakes. After a handful of tries I gave up, sad I could not eat all the ice cream. I had to give up biking to work when daycare drop off became a part of my life. I missed being outside, I missed time to myself, I missed stashing fudgesicles in the office fridge to eat with a cup of coffee after riding in. I realized I could at least go for a walk on my lunch hour to get outside, burn some calories, and have some time by myself (not common as a parent of two small people). I loved all of those things, and I wanted to go faster, but could not squeeze more time out of my day. I thought if I could run instead of walk I could burn more calories and maybe some of the 'I grow people and am sloth-like' weight would disappear. So I tried to run, but did not really keep at it, the increased calorie burn was not worth needing to shower at the time. My kids would run in opposite directions at the park, and I was convinced they would both run into traffic. I needed to be able to keep up with toddlers. I thought I was going to damage my cardiovasular system with the short sprints after them. I needed a way to improve this. And I want to live a long time and be able to chase them for years to come. Then on Star Wars Day, weirdo roomate who now worked at Disney called and told me if I would do Princess 10K with her, she would used her employee discount for my family's stay. This was great motivation for me to need to shower at work. So now I run. other than the Disney room discount, all of those reasons are still valid reasons I go out. And in hindsight, my friend would have let me use her discount anyhow, but it worked to get me there to run with her! I love being outside, I love that I can catch my kids, I love not being winded walking up parking garage stairs, and I love that I can eat fudgesicles if I want to! But I have new reasons, too. For the first year of running, I was amazed as every day was progress. I struggle that I no longer see that rate of improvement, and actually think I am getting slower as I add distance. But lately I have been thinking about my runs differently, and Baloo hit on it:

it is a privledge that I get to do and the benefits are life changing and in the end I know myself better for running.

Life has gotten easier. My kids sleep all night long. I am not exhausted all the time, and I figured out how to find time to run. I could use that time for something else, and I often do use it to do other things I enjoy. This time is a privilege. I have the opportunity to improve my health. I watch one side of the family who is able to play on the floor with my kids and follow them on bikes- I want to be that grandparent if I have the chance. I waited until I was financially stable to have kids, if my kids do that as well I will be past retirement age before I could meet any imaginary grandkids. So I may not run forever, but I want to do something, to make choices that allow me to live a future life of flexibility, energy, and endurance.

20 - @Miranda - Wallis Sands Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! Hope you have a great race and safe travels to and from race day. If you would like to revise your race goal or if someone else would like to add a race to this weekend list, just let me know. We look forward to hearing how your race goes and hopefully lots of PR's!
I'm feeling very nervous! My last training run was awful last night, my legs just didn't want to work. It's totally a thing to have a terrible last run and then a good race right??

It's looking like rain rain rain for me this weekend. So sorry anyone who runs a half at the same time as me. This will be my 10th half marathon and #4 with rain... well technically it's my 11th that I entered, but I guess we all know what happened at the last night time W&D! So that's 6 of 11 that have had some kind of weather malfunction that I've been at. :) (The 6th was some really unseasonable 80+ temps in the first week of May, that just doesn't normally happen in northern New England at that time of year.) Two of the other 3 with rain have been torrential drenching rain, so let's hope this one is at least more like the third which was just annoying light rain most of the time.

This is my first DB plan. I wasn't training for a PR, I wasn't in as good of shape coming into the plan as I was on my PR and I'm... yikes, like 25-30 lbs heavier. But my HM training paces had me training for 2:51:40, which would actually be like a 3rd best time for me (and less than a minute away from a 2nd best time). My last 6 HM's after my PR (2:45:08) have not gone well for various reasons, and 4 of those I have completely blown up and struggled in around 3:00-3:05 after starting out strong (TOO strong) and under PR pace. One race in particular from Nov 2016 that ended in a 3:05 time, I started out the first 4-5 miles under PR pace. I could not have more perfectly positively split that race if I tried. It's a beautiful bar graph in Strava... going in the completely wrong direction.

My last one in particular last fall was a disaster and ended in tears... cold, pouring rain, I felt extremely undertrained and pessimistic going into it and everything played out exactly like I was expecting/dreading. My body started to tell me it was done around 7-8 miles of running in the pouring rain and 40's temps, and I walked most of the way in from about mile 10. I wasn't last in the results, but I'm pretty sure I was last or very close to it on the actual course. I know there was at least one lady running that I passed but she was having a terrible time with blisters and probably dropped, and 2 walkers who may or may not have dropped, because the race director was leapfrogging me in his car the last couple miles, driving ahead and waiting then driving ahead and waiting, so I'm pretty sure there was no one left behind me by then. There was a whole mixup at the start of the race that put me in a bad headspace right to start... the race offered a half hour earlier start for walkers and runners needing extra time and I was really psyched to utilize that because I am a lot slower than most of the people in my running group and none of the ones closer to my pace were doing this race (or they were doing the 2 person relay option) and this was a group destination race so I was thinking this early start would have me finishing around the same time as the people in my group, but when I asked a volunteer about it, they told me that I wouldn't get an official time if I started then. I was so disappointed and wanted my results, so I started with the regular start. I found out later that I could have started then and gotten a time, the volunteer was wrong, and that's why I wasn't actually last in the results but was or close to it on the course.

So, with all that in mind this is how I summarized my goals for DB yesterday:
0. Finish feeling strong/good, not defeated
1. < 3:00
2. Pace myself more consistently over the whole race
3. < 2:52

I think if I do #2, I can do #3, so, @LSUlakes, please put me down for < 2:52 :)

ATTQOTD: My marathons have been November, early January and now October. Even when I’m not training for a specific marathon I’m training to stay in at least half marathon shape. So summer is just another set of conditions for me.

The techniques discussed yesterday for training in heat and humidity apply regardless of the distance involved, so I’m not sure there’s too much to add. I typically run early in the morning on the weekends for longer runs and 6-8pm on weekdays.

Slow down and give yourself time to acclimate. Ignore it when the Garmin says your VO2Max is tanking as a result of the increased stress when running in the heat. It will pay dividends when cooler weather rolls around.

It stays pretty hot where I am in NC, but I just can’t see skipping out on half a year’s worth of races because I don’t like running in heat and humidity. I know I’m the outlier here, but I’d much rather deal with the heat that I have in the summer than the cold you northerners have to deal with in the winter!

My first marathon was last November 4th and @DopeyBadger had my plan start on June 26th :eek: It could have been longer since it was my first marathon though. This year I am running my only marathon on December 8th and I think he said the plan would start mid to late August. MUCH better being in the South too!

:(:crazy2::eek::scared1::sad::sad1::sad2:

aaand that pretty much sums up how I feel about that, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter