The Running Thread - 2018

Great question today!

My story mirrors @Sanchez. I was relatively fast growing up, running for middle school and HS cross-country, but tennis was my main sport so I never continued it into college. Med school then residency then marriage then our son came and I never thought about running...in fact, I despised running for the sake of running just because I thought it was so boring. I continued to play tennis throughout this time but I hurt my shoulder a year back so I had to find another source of competition and exercise.

I initially bought a road bike and started doing some biking around the area, but at the same time, my friend cajoled me into running the SF marathon in July 2018 so it all came together. I bought a pair of running shoes, signed up for a couple races, and started running. It's amazing how running can spark the competitive juices, not only from the races but also from an internal motivation to improve and do our best.

After the marathon in a couple months, I'm not quite sure if I'll try to train for a triathlon or strictly continue with long distance running, but it’s safe to say that the fun and enjoyment of running has returned!

Fair point, but... what happens when you're no longer sure that you enjoy running? That's somewhat where my head is at right now, and its why being a runner is what keeps me running.

Sometimes I look at why I'm not enjoying things right now. Am I overtired? Stressed? Just feeling blah? Missing something to be excited about with my running? Having a goal race helps. Sometimes just recognizing that I am depressed at the world right now helps. And the runs themselves help, because I would feel worse for not doing them. If needed, I change things up.

(Sometimes I go and buy a new shirt or pair of pants. Retail therapy also helps. I want to be cute while running, blast it.)

And sometimes it's just discipline and slogging through it anyway, because I know things come and go.

Fair point, but... what happens when you're no longer sure that you enjoy running? That's somewhat where my head is at right now, and its why being a runner is what keeps me running.

I wrestle with this question. I enjoy running when it's over, but during...not so much. Maybe my definition of 'enjoy' is too limited.

Sometimes I feel like it is misguided to spend my largest portion of free time on something that I'm not sure I enjoy.

I think your answer is right: 'Being a runner is what keeps me running.'

And then a follow-up question: 'If I weren't a runner, what would I be?' I don't know (and don't want to find out) the answer to that one.

I started answering this as soon as @LTULakes posted it, great question!

I just read the answers, how inspirational! So, I’ll post my original answer with an edit at the end

ATTQOTD:
I always liked to be outside and to move while sightseeing. And of course, there are health benefits to running.

I had different sport’s periods in my life: Fencing, Swimming, Biking, Trekking, Hockey Playing, Gym Training, etc.

Running was sometimes used as a filler or a social event.

I started a formal running plan in Spring 2016 when a colleague asked me to. To participate. We started with an 8 weeks couch to running plan and ran all summer (less than 10k distances), mostly in the mountain near work. It was just a good way to exercise outside.

Come Spring 2017, I was all alone because my running partner injured himself snowboarding. I was also under challenged at the gym and was becoming demotivated. I asked if they had trainers for running. After I got her go (running form evaluation, pace test) I registered to my first formal 10k in June. In March, I learned about runDisney... And started dreaming.

The 10k became a PoT affair in top of a learning experience. And the dream came through at the WnD Two Course Challenge.

I had to ask myself what’s next and why? Exactly today’s QOTD.

The answer came with winter, I did not want to go back inside this time. So it was another learning and accessorizing experience.

For 2018, my motivation for running is to learn about myself. To evaluate whether I like running non-Disney race, whether I take pleasure in running faster, what distance I truly enjoy. As a bonus, my DD started running too and she is my motivation for those extra training runs with her.

I am looking forward to see what my 2019 motivation will be... Running for the pleasure of running? Running to amaze myself with new PR? Or running to make a second runDisney trip worth it?

Edit: I just got the pre-race information from Ottawa. And my above answer might explain why I run...But, I now know why I race!

I get so excited to receive my bib number or the logistics of the race weekend or the shirt/medals reveal...

It feels like I am participating into something greater than me while trying to be a better myself. I love the bling. I like the protocol. I like the “imposed” training routine, the structure it provides. I like to be part of the greater running community. I like to have to write down my answers and read yours, it makes them real. All of this makes me become us in some ways. Thank you!

I wrestle with this question. I enjoy running when it's over, but during...not so much. Maybe my definition of 'enjoy' is too limited.

Sometimes I feel like it is misguided to spend my largest portion of free time on something that I'm not sure I enjoy.

I think your answer is right: 'Being a runner is what keeps me running.'

And then a follow-up question: 'If I weren't a runner, what would I be?' I don't know (and don't want to find out) the answer to that one.

Sometimes I wonder the same things. With my recent injury problems. Another torn tendon in the opposite ankle that will need surgery eventually, why do I do this. Why do I run through the pain?

Then I say to myself, going back to the way things were is horrifying to me. So I think I enjoy running still. I love the “me” time. I love the time to think and clear my mind. I think what’s different is the newness has worn off. I have done a couple Disney races. The first one I was so excited and so afraid of failing it drove me every day. Now I have run 3 full marathons. I know I won’t fail unless I quit. So there isn’t that fear that once pushed me.

Now what pushes me is the fear of becoming what I once was. That was overweight and very unhappy. In other words my expectations changed. It doesn’t mean I don’t still enjoy it just because it feels less exciting.

This is like me every week, but especially right now. Generally, when I'm kinda over running and I force myself to go do it, I feel better about it and am happy that I went out and did it.

But that's not working right now. In fairness, I pretty much hate everything these days ... so maybe it's not just running.

Now what pushes me is the fear of becoming what I once was. That was overweight and very unhappy. In other words my expectations changed. It doesn’t mean I don’t still enjoy it just because it feels less exciting.

This reminds me of a comic by The Oatmeal about the reasons he runs. I've read it multiple times and for all the joy I have in running right now, there's a part of me that identifies with all the things he writes about in it too. (If you're not familiar with The Oatmeal, his stuff can be borderline NSFW, depending on how conservative your office is. This one is not, but just a warning.)

QOTD: What brought you to running and is that reason the same today?

Boy! This was a tough one and I have read most of the responses and have bits and pieces of the same.
What brought me to running? Getting a real job! I grew up always on the move. Mowing lawns, caddying, playing hockey and that was just my teens. Then I started working at Friendly's, 4 hour shifts, 8 hour shifts, and sometimes 12 hours shifts and still in my teens. For those of you in Stamford in the mid 70's that was me! Then came college. Bad habits, too much cafeteria food and all of sudden I'm a slug. Fortunately I had some hockey time but that wasn't cutting it. Casual running was not the thing back in the day but fortunately I went to a school with a running program; John Treacy and Geoff Smith, that enabled other students to run as well. By Junior year I was running more than studying.

Fast forward to getting my real job 2 weeks after graduation, I was sitting at a desk 8 - 9 hours a day, before the internet, before voice-mail and back to my bad habits of not eating right and just being lazy. I finally grew up and got it turned around by my mid 20's and starting running at work during lunch. The best thing ever for those of you who can do it. Hooked up with a running group and the rest is history. Ran 2 milers and 5Ks throughout the late 80's and early 90's. First 1/2 marathon was Hartford in 1993 and ran a 1:42.09 at the ripe 'ol age of 35. I have not stopped since but have had some setbacks which I'll spare you. Disney is my annual check-up and has kept me honest for the last 13 years.

Over the years, I have felt the benefits of running by maintaining my weight and being able to eat what I want [in a good and bad way]. I get the biggest kick out of people asking me if I'm a runner, especially when I give blood and my pulse is barely 45. It's the subtle rewards of feeling good about yourself and trying to get others to hop on the bandwagon to reap the benefits from running.

Thanks for reading!

Now ... why I run is something I struggle with. I dont always know the reasons, and sometimes I feel like I should stop. But at the end of the day, I think the answer is fairly simple ... I run because I am a runner. It's not just something I do ... its a part of who I am.

I'm not sure it's important to know the exact reasons why you run because it's not a static reason. It's something different every time. Different times of day, different distance, different weather, different external distractions, different participants, and different results. They always change and will be different from previous results. Sometimes the stars align and sometimes they don't. Take a day or two off. Mix things up. Run hard and run short. Take your time and run long! Yes, you're a runner and you should feel good about that!

Sorry you're in a "slump" right now. (Sorry trying to choose a generic word). I really appreciate the humour you bring to this thread. Hope you feel the sun shining on you soon.

Awwww, thanks. You're too sweet.

I'm probably just being incredibly overdramatic (WHAT?! ME!!? NEVER!!!!), but it's just one of those days/weeks it seems. Here's hoping a pitcher of margaritas fixes me up ...

I started running the year I turned 50. I needed to shake up my fitness routine. Before that I would go to the gym and fart around on the elliptical. Before that, I didn't do much. So much so, that at one point my DH asked why I had the gym membership.

This may sound weird, but my weight has always been pretty steady. I'm not Twiggy (Google her, you young'uns!), but I'm within 5-10 lbs of what I weighed when I was younger. And frankly, to me, that meant I could skate by on the exercise front. Not a healthy attitude, but that's the way it was.

I've now been running for 10 years. Turns out, I'm decent for my age group. So that has kept me going-in a good and not so good way. But it turns out that I've fairly recently discovered that I also rather enjoy going out for nice, slow, easy runs, which bodes well for keeping it going in the future.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on enjoying (or not enjoying) running. I sometimes feel like I'm alone in this - it's easy to be surrounded by people who love every second of running and feel like if you're not having the "best run ever" every day, you're failing - and I am comforted knowing that I'm not alone in this struggle.

(Sometimes I go and buy a new shirt or pair of pants. Retail therapy also helps. I want to be cute while running, blast it.)

Well, retail therapy helps most things. (Not so much my credit card bill, but most other things)
And I did buy a new shirt today, so maybe tomorrow's run will be better...

I'm with you on that. For the first few years I ran, I knew exactly what my life would look like post-running. Now I'm not so sure. And I don't think I want to find out.

Sometimes I wonder the same things. With my recent injury problems. Another torn tendon in the opposite ankle that will need surgery eventually, why do I do this. Why do I run through the pain?

Then I say to myself, going back to the way things were is horrifying to me. So I think I enjoy running still. I love the “me” time. I love the time to think and clear my mind. I think what’s different is the newness has worn off. I have done a couple Disney races. The first one I was so excited and so afraid of failing it drove me every day. Now I have run 3 full marathons. I know I won’t fail unless I quit. So there isn’t that fear that once pushed me.

This makes so much sense. You've been where you were before and even if every run isn't something new and some of the excitement has worn off, you don't want to go back to before.
For myself, I haven't really hit that point where I see things as "before" and "after" ... but I'm probably selling myself short if I don't keep going until I hit that point.

This is like me every week, but especially right now. Generally, when I'm kinda over running and I force myself to go do it, I feel better about it and am happy that I went out and did it.

But that's not working right now. In fairness, I pretty much hate everything these days ... so maybe it's not just running.

Yeah, I have those times too. Sometimes you just have to keep going and hope that eventually, when life gets itself all sorted out, running will get better too (in fact, that's probably what I'm dealing with right now somewhat ... life is stupid).
:grouphug:

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on enjoying (or not enjoying) running. I sometimes feel like I'm alone in this - it's easy to be surrounded by people who love every second of running and feel like if you're not having the "best run ever" every day, you're failing - and I am comforted knowing that I'm not alone in this struggle.

You are definitely NOT alone on that. Honestly, most of the time I'd rather not run, or rather not run nearly as much (2000+ miles/year). I've occasionally had those runs where it just felt effortless and I never wanted to stop, but those days are very rare. Most days, getting in my miles is a slog, and I usually run in the evening because I spend most of the day avoiding it. If I really WANTED to do it, I'd do it first thing in the morning, but I can never seem to get myself motivated that early. It's a struggle nearly every day.

So why do I still do it if I mostly don't like it? As @PCFriar80 wisely said, the reasons vary, but ultimately, they're enough to keep me going. I'm much healthier than I was, it gets me out of the house, it gives me more energy, and the sense of satisfaction I get from completing a run never gets old. Plus, there's always the bling! :) Looking at my medals inspires me, knowing those were earned and not merely bought. Like a lot of things in life, the benefits don't come without the work, so if I want to keep getting the benefits, I have to keep putting in the work. Eventually, that's why I head out the door.

ATTQOTD: I randomly discovered a girl that graduated high school the same year as me who was on a quest to run a half marathon in all 50 states. By the time I found her blog, she was already on state 46 or 47. She planned for her final half to be in our home state of Alabama and I was just so inspired. The fact that someone the same age as me (27 at the time) was already about to check such a huge item off her bucket list was just amazing.

I decided to start training and have my first half marathon be the same as her final state half marathon. The rest is kind of history. From then on running became something that helped me relieve stress and have some time to unwind after a long day of sitting at work. Running has changed me for the better SO much. I used to be so shy (still am shy, but not as bad), but now I can have conversations with complete strangers. I'd love to run a half/full in every state someday, but it will definitely take me a lot longer than it took her!

I've loved reading all of your stories, SO inspiring and makes me remember why I love this running community so much.

This reminds me of a comic by The Oatmeal about the reasons he runs. I've read it multiple times and for all the joy I have in running right now, there's a part of me that identifies with all the things he writes about in it too. (If you're not familiar with The Oatmeal, his stuff can be borderline NSFW, depending on how conservative your office is. This one is not, but just a warning.)
That's pretty accurate to how I feel!

Well, retail therapy helps most things. (Not so much my credit card bill, but most other things)
And I did buy a new shirt today, so maybe tomorrow's run will be better...

I'm with you on that. For the first few years I ran, I knew exactly what my life would look like post-running. Now I'm not so sure. And I don't think I want to find out.

This makes so much sense. You've been where you were before and even if every run isn't something new and some of the excitement has worn off, you don't want to go back to before.
For myself, I haven't really hit that point where I see things as "before" and "after" ... but I'm probably selling myself short if I don't keep going until I hit that point.

Yeah, I have those times too. Sometimes you just have to keep going and hope that eventually, when life gets itself all sorted out, running will get better too (in fact, that's probably what I'm dealing with right now somewhat ... life is stupid).
:grouphug:

You are not alone. Every morning I get out of bed I hurt. My Achilles tendonitis is back. Everything is tight. Stretching is painful. But then I think back to the marathon this year. I wasn't even close to being ready, my training was awful. The last three miles were so painful I was crying most of the time. But, I finished. As soon as I crossed the finish all that was forgotten. Suddenly I was just back to being proud of myself. And THAT is why I run. I follow people on IG and they make it look so easy. They do paces I could only dream of as their easy runs. So it's hard hearing how "easy" it is while I struggle lately. But then I remember why I run. It's for me and that pride I feel.

You are definitely NOT alone on that. Honestly, most of the time I'd rather not run, or rather not run nearly as much (2000+ miles/year). I've occasionally had those runs where it just felt effortless and I never wanted to stop, but those days are very rare. Most days, getting in my miles is a slog, and I usually run in the evening because I spend most of the day avoiding it. If I really WANTED to do it, I'd do it first thing in the morning, but I can never seem to get myself motivated that early. It's a struggle nearly every day.

So why do I still do it if I mostly don't like it? As @PCFriar80 wisely said, the reasons vary, but ultimately, they're enough to keep me going. I'm much healthier than I was, it gets me out of the house, it gives me more energy, and the sense of satisfaction I get from completing a run never gets old. Plus, there's always the bling! :) Looking at my medals inspires me, knowing those were earned and not merely bought. Like a lot of things in life, the benefits don't come without the work, so if I want to keep getting the benefits, I have to keep putting in the work. Eventually, that's why I head out the door.

Yep! My medals are the first thing I see when I wake up. When I get out of bed they are there. It starts me in every day with a reminder of what I can accomplish. It's hard to go back to that overweight guy I used to be.

@SarahDisney, @OldSlowGoofyGuy, @Keels and others sharing the concerns around running and why we do it at times when it is simply not fun to do or do it at all. Such a great question, and I can totally relate. For me sometimes when it would really hurt, or when the alarm went off at stupid early in the morning or on that day when everything seems perfect - great weather, good music in my ear buds, I liking my new shoes, etc. - and I simply didn’t want to run. I second guess why I run. But I like what my BRF said “sometimes it is just going to suck, because running is hard and that is why it is awesome.” He has issues... For me I try to challenge myself with the thought that it is a privledge that I get to do and the benefits are life changing and in the end I know myself better for running. Well that and it is awesome.

The other thought I am having is more self serving right now, so I hope you will allow me to be a bit self-indulgent. But not being able to run for 2 months now has left me realizing how important it really is to me, how much I rely on it for “me time”, for mental health and how much it provides physical wellness also. Sad to admit, but when I am driving down the road right now and pass a runner, my first thought is “oh, sure rub it in!”

The best part of most of my runs is when they are over. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter