The Running Thread - 2018

Re: clothing, for me I cannot even consider brands like Nike or lululemon or a lot of the big name running brands, because their sizing is so small. It's not really about the price... I will pay for good quality clothes. But I need to also be able to put them on. :) I need to try out a pair of Athleta sometime since I would like some pants with pockets... since it's the same company as Old Navy, and I can wear ON in XL, then I might be able to wear some of Athleta's stuff.

You should definitely give them a try. I will often order a range of sizes because it is easy to return the ones that don't fit.

ATTQOTD: Everyone on this board. People I follow on Instagram. My own personal goals and my family and friends. My husband is not the greatest motivator when I say I don't feel like running and he tells me to take a day off, but he is so great about getting up early and walking me to start lines or taking racecations, so I give him a pass on the motivation thing. LOL.
I stalk on Instagram now, kk?

I made an Insta for running but nothing is on it right now... and with how great I am with blogging in the past it probably will be really lame lol

I made an Insta for running but nothing is on it right now... and with how great I am with blogging in the past it probably will be really lame lol
That’s why I force myself to do Project 365. Some days are better than others. Although right now, it’s mostly puppy photos.

I’m also really ready for my husband to get home from his work trip so someone else can be a chew toy.

QOTD: Motivation.... Who picks you up when your motivation lacks?

ATTQOTD: My running buddy that lives out of state will call me when he notices a lack of runs from me on Garmin. First he is making sure everything is ok, and then he tells me to get off my but as long as everything is going good.

I have no other people in my daily life that run. Mostly my motivation is all intrinsic. When it fails me I have to make sure I have something to train for like a race or some type of weight loss goal, like buying jeans a size down. Shopping helps.

Good question....most of time it is this burning fire inside me. I think of my kids a lot when I run. I think of my parents who died early from poor health. I think of growing up overweight most of the time, not athletically inclined at all. I think of the great people I have met through my running journey. I think of being active in my future old age days and how I never want to stop doing this. Sometimes, I think of a big IPA later after a good long run (I already have my eye on my after Boston drink).

There are many moments when I WANT to be motivated, but it just isn't happening. I force myself to go through the motions, waiting for the motivation to kick in again. Sometimes it takes awhile (like coming back from injury) and sometimes, bam, I am excited to do this again.

Some good answers here. While I don't have Wendy's burning desire I agree with much of what she said. I want to make my kids proud, I want to show them there is a healthy way to live. I don't want to be overweight again. I want to be active when the grandkids are around so I can play with them as opposed to being one of those grand parents that sit on a bench and watch life pass them by. I want to experience life, seeing parts of the country I never would have seen before.

As caps go said, I like training for a race as well.

And you guys help. I always have this thread in the back of my mind. I have only met a couple of you in person but I don't want to let any of you down because I know you are all out there working hard and I can't come back and pretend to be.

Well I guess that motivates me as well. Still haven't checked that box off either. October 7th.... October 7th..... October 7th....

Let's be honest Billy. You run because you need info to enter into your spreadsheets. Without running they would be blank excel files and that's boring. :)

ATTQOTD: Good quetion, this one was a though one for me. Fortunately, there was a lot of good answers here to inspire mine, thanks.

While I am convinced that self motivation is the only real enabler (need of physical activity, of health, of focus, of space mental and physical), having some kind of support system certainly helps.

• My commitment to a race makes me stick to a training plan,
  • My fear of injuries pushes me out of the door three times a week,
  • My having prepaid a coach or a nutritionist ensures that I show up to an appointment,
  • My chats with fellow runners teaches me and lightens some runs,
  • My family encouragements comfort me and show me that I am more lovable when in shape (relaxed, confident, proud of my accomplishments, thankful for their support),
  • And finally, reading and participating to this board allows for these thoughts and feelings to be shared and organized ( ref this bullet list:duck:), to feel part of a wider community and to learn.

We just got back from WDW last night. I tried to read a couple of pages on the bus every morning, but I’m still 23 pages behind! (@rteetz The struggle is real)
Easter week was super crowded, but when else can you get pictures with Mr. and Mrs. Easter Bunny? And I got to do my first four runs after cataract surgery at Ft. W, did a Segway tour, went to Easter services at Contemporary, and saw fabulous chocolate Easter eggs, on top of park hopping.
Some answers to old QOTD: Fuel -Gator Aid in the water bottle with ice to keep it cool and not so strong in summer heat for 10k+ distance. Gu gels every 4-5 miles on HM distance or longer. Strawberry Banana is good as some have said!
No to compression socks. Never tried any compression gear.
March total: 72.5 mi. Not too bad since doctor didn’t allow running for two weeks.

Fun Friday QOTD: Should I bring DD on Tower of Terror? She is 4, meets the height requirement, and depending on the day, said she wants to ride it. Those of you with children when did you introduce them to rides like this?

ATTQOTD: I am leaning towards taking her towards the back end of the trip....

Fun Friday QOTD: Should I bring DD on Tower of Terror? She is 4, meets the height requirement, and depending on the day, said she wants to ride it. Those of you with children when did you introduce them to rides like this?

ATTQOTD: I am leaning towards taking her towards the back end of the trip....
I took my daughter when she was 4. She had watched the ride videos and was captivated by the "ghost girl" and wanted to try it. Of course the ride videos don't really show the drops.... She did it, but only once. Now, she is 7 and can't wait to ride it again this summer. Give it a try. My daughter is no dare devil but she does love the rides. We rode EE 8 times in a row at park closing last October.

My 4 year old is tall enough too and he says he wants to go but I’m still on the fence about taking him. He’s more of a daredevil but still gets scared pretty easy. I would agree with doing it at the end of the trip so it doesn’t ruin the rest of her time.

I was the most scared cat child ever. Didn’t go on ToT until I was 18 and walked off in tears. A 6 year old was comforting me lol.

ATTFFQOTD: I've let my son dictate when he's ready for things... he'll be 16 soon and still hasn't been on TOT, but is thinking he might try it soon! He knows he doesn't like the feeling of freefall, and I know that's exactly what TOT is, so I've never pushed him to ride it.The beauty of TOT is the "chicken" exit: if your daughter decides last minute she doesn't want to try it, you can exit quickly and easily right by the elevators.

TOT terrifies me! My last trip to DL I benchmarked other kids in the preschool-5yo range on rides (easier to do without kids around), and after watching a girl cry on Splash (I think it would have been way better if it were the 2x2 seats instead of sitting by herself) and a kid vomit on StarTours (cute 5yo twins with birthday shirts on) and his sister cry for him, we decided there was plenty of time for bigger rides, particularly as we all love other rides. Also, they decided they love corny jokes, so Jungle Cruise was preferred for them, except when the guide shouted Look Out! Get Down! and one of my girls really did jump out of her seat and duck for cover. We can stick to that, splash and big thunder and be just fine. Also a big hit last time was the Pirate Adventure scavenger hunt- the prize after completing 2-20 minute adventures was a FP for Pirates. It was less complicated and startling than the Sorcerer's game (although we got the trading cards anyhow because free cards are a hit with our kids)

ATTQOTD: My daughter was 26, lol so I am no authority on this! And she likes it more than me. I like it, once I am on it and it starts going. I usually manage to talk myself out of it while in line though. I can tell you where the chicken out elevator is! :)

ATTFFQOTD: I let my 12 year decide what he wants to ride. He loves the coasters (kinda), but will not ride TOT, Haunted Mansion or PoC. Something about the ghosts or scary things bothers him. He did ride GoG Mission Breaking in Cali last summer, but could not convince him the TOT is the same ride, just different theme.

Here is the pic from us on EE. He rode the whole thing with the beanie over his eyes, but yet gave it the thumbs up at picture time and said he liked it, but the pic kinda gives a different story. His pic on RnR was about the same....

AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_20180105_408003799874.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter