The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I tend to be the most motivated when others doubt what I can do. I had it in high school/college while playing soccer and still face it running today. When I first signed up for the 2018 WDW Marathon, my co-worker laughed and said "You know that's 26.2 miles right?". As well as another person claiming I couldn't run it under 4:30. I kept replaying those quotes in my head during training and especially after Mile 21 in the Marathon when I wanted to give up. Those kept me going.

Regarding running pants/shorts/skirts’ pockets:
I went for my long run last weekend and, because it was warmer, just had my long running pants and long sleeves tech shirts. That meant no jacket pockets but I realised my long pants had two pockets on the thighs, one zip pocket on the back and one little waist inside pocket. I found it great to be able to put my phone, fuel, card, keys where they belonged and nothing moved. So I went shopping for the summer equivalent capri but could only find two (one Nike with one mesh pocket and one NB), both of which were made of thick material. Any suggestions for alternative pants/shorts/skirt? I have other type of carriers (belt, armband...) that is not what I am looking for.

I know you have gotten quite a few replies, but I'll answer anyway.

I wear 90% Athleta and refuse to run in anything without pockets. Yes, they are expensive, but the last pair of Nike tights I bought were $80 so I don't think the pricing is too bad and IMO the quality is better. Their Dobby Be Free Knickers are their lightest weight material. For shorts I like their Be Free Shorts (bike type shorts). Lululemon makes running skirts now with big pockets on the legs. I'm actually going tomorrow to get a couple.

ATTQOTD: not a 'who', but a 'what'. Fear: fear of getting old, or maybe it's fear of not getting old, fear of gaining weight, fear of getting slow(er), fear of no more PRs, fear of not being able to run anymore.

To put a positive spin on it, it's really the thought: 'You better keep doing this while you can.'

I have similar thoughts. No one motivates me but I am driven by fear - many of the same reasons you provide.

I have noticed that in running events and triathlons that the most depth is in the 40-44 and 45-49 age groups. This is not to say that the fastest are in these groups (though some times in triathlons that is the case), but that there seems to be a deep pool of fairly fast participants. I think that there are several reasons for this: comfort/seniority at work; older children; and disposable income. But I also attribute it to fear - you start to realize that your best athletic days are behind you and that this is your last chance.

When I was in my early to mid thirties I worked long hours and all non-work time was spent with family (young children.) It struck me as selfish to spend hours away from my family while training and I can assure you that it would have not been well received by my bride. Now, at 48, I take great pride in training and that I can easily outrun my 21 and 18 y/o sons.

Re: clothing, for me I cannot even consider brands like Nike or lululemon or a lot of the big name running brands, because their sizing is so small. It's not really about the price... I will pay for good quality clothes. But I need to also be able to put them on. :) I need to try out a pair of Athleta sometime since I would like some pants with pockets... since it's the same company as Old Navy, and I can wear ON in XL, then I might be able to wear some of Athleta's stuff.

I only wear skirts/capris/tights with pockets! For capris, either Athleta (Be Free or Relay models) or Skirt Sports (Pocketopia) are my favorites. All of my skirts are from Skirt Sports - the Lioness has two leg pockets and a back zip pocket, while the Jette and Gym Girl Ultra have just the two leg pockets. (They make other skirts, too, but those 3 are the ones I wear.)

I used to avoid the grippy thingies like the plague because I was convinced they'd be uncomfortable! But my friend is a Skirt Sports Ambassador and finally convinced me to try one of the Lioness skirts that has the grippy thingies... SO comfortable! They do their job, but I don't feel them at all. Skirt Sports has somehow managed to make legs that are tight enough to stay put, but no so tight they dig in. That was the end for me: I'm now a Skirt Sports addict, lol!

Add yourself to the list of enablers as I just ordered my first Skirt Sport Lioness skirt!

I went for my long run last weekend and, because it was warmer, just had my long running pants and long sleeves tech shirts. That meant no jacket pockets but I realised my long pants had two pockets on the thighs, one zip pocket on the back and one little waist inside pocket. I found it great to be able to put my phone, fuel, card, keys where they belonged and nothing moved. So I went shopping for the summer equivalent capri but could only find two (one Nike with one mesh pocket and one NB), both of which were made of thick material. Any suggestions for alternative pants/shorts/skirt? I have other type of carriers (belt, armband...) that is not what I am looking for.

I have several pairs of lululemon capris, shorts, and tights which I used to love for the fit and pockets. Unfortunately in the past couple of years their quality has really tanked IMO.

My go-to now which is the Saucony Bullet. They come in all lengths-capris, shorts, crops, and tights. I’m ultra picky and these never chafe and the pockets are great!

QOTD: Motivation.... Who picks you up when your motivation lacks?

My husband is my biggest cheerleader. He usually has more confidence in my abilities than I do. However, I look at my mom who is only 61 and my MIL who is 79. My mom does nothing day after day but sit and watch tv all. day. long. Years of that has taken its toll. She can barely make it up and down stairs. I don't want to end up like her. My MIL kept active her entire life and is still an energizer bunny. I want to be like her! I want to be able to chase my grandkids all over the place like my MIL did.

I completed the Appalachian Triple Challenge last year through Vacation Races - Shenandoah Half one weekend followed the next weekend by the Great Smoky Mountains 5K on Friday and the half on Saturday. Both of the half-marathons were beautiful courses. I really want to try some of their other races.

I was just telling my DH about the Great Smoky Mountain races yesterday!

Oiselle pocket joggers (capris), pocket jogger shorts (available in two lengths), long roga shorts, and the roga skirt (also now available in two lengths with briefs or the shorter length with shorts). Message me if you are interested in a referral discount!

Last edited:
Way to go! I totally would have skipped that! I have figured out how to deal with snow, but not rain (or the sleet we had yesterday). Do you change your gear in some fashion?

I would rather rain than snow. We don't run outside much in that weather and generally only shorter distances. Mainly, because I don't want to fall and we live in a hilly area. For gear, we have lined pants, hat, gloves, tech shirt, as well as a quik dry jacket. I also have mild raynauds so I won't run outside below freezing very often. It was 29 this morning when I left the house and super windy so this will be a treadmill date tonight.

ATTQOTD: I tend to be the most motivated when others doubt what I can do. I had it in high school/college while playing soccer and still face it running today. When I first signed up for the 2018 WDW Marathon, my co-worker laughed and said "You know that's 26.2 miles right?". As well as another person claiming I couldn't run it under 4:30. I kept replaying those quotes in my head during training and especially after Mile 21 in the Marathon when I wanted to give up. Those kept me going.
Mile 19 seems to be my "give up" mile. I have to dig deep after that. I also play negative comments in my head. While it isn't probably healthy in everyday life, it does add fuel to a racing fire.

ATTQOTD: My husband for sure. He knows that once I'm running I'll be happy...but it can be a bit of a chore to convince myself to leave my warm happy house or bed or couch.
Also you guys...and my journal (when I'm being good about updating it) and also October 7th (or insert any other race goal date I've had)
And my plan...keeping on plan as much as I can motivates me.

I also realize that I need to cross the Chicago marathon finish line with enough to time to get donuts before @DopeyBadger eats all of them in the city. And he's gonna have a head start and speed on his side.

ATTQOTD: Current motivation is getting into better shape than my husband. We have a lot of healthy competition between us. We are both doing Dopey together and my sister is also doing the WDW marathon this upcoming year so we have a group message filled with trash talking and bragging.

I was blessed with the high metabolism and skinny body shape genes but as my mom started getting older (and being less active), I know that I can't rely on it forever. So my other motivation is to keep going and be healthy as long as I can. My long term goal is to see how long I'll be able to run races.

ATTQOTD: A lot of different people have motivated me (most without even knowing it), but one particular group is disabled athletes. I've seen so many blind racers, racers missing one or both legs, racers in handcycles and racing chairs, racers using crutches, etc. at all sorts of events, including marathons. Looking at my Disney Photopass pictures from Marathon Weekend this year, a picture of a random racer missing both legs and riding a skateboard ended up in my account, and he was wearing a Dopey bib! It seemed like a sign. These athletes have such amazing courage and tenacity to take on challenges like that, and it's always inspiring to see them out there on a course. I'm reminded to be grateful for my health, and to keep working hard like they obviously are.

ATTQOTD: A lot of different people have motivated me (most without even knowing it), but one particular group is disabled athletes. I've seen so many blind racers, racers missing one or both legs, racers in handcycles and racing chairs, racers using crutches, etc. at all sorts of events, including marathons. Looking at my Disney Photopass pictures from Marathon Weekend this year, a picture of a random racer missing both legs and riding a skateboard ended up in my account, and he was wearing a Dopey bib! It seemed like a sign. These athletes have such amazing courage and tenacity to take on challenges like that, and it's always inspiring to see them out there on a course. I'm reminded to be grateful for my health, and to keep working hard like they obviously are.
Awesome story. This year at mile 23 I ran by a blind runner who had a guide running next to him. That was such an uplifting moment and even though at that point I was in a state of chaos, it still managed to put a smile on my face.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Everyone on this board. People I follow on Instagram. My own personal goals and my family and friends. My husband is not the greatest motivator when I say I don't feel like running and he tells me to take a day off, but he is so great about getting up early and walking me to start lines or taking racecations, so I give him a pass on the motivation thing. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter