The Rainbow Lounge - LGBT Chit Chat

What do we think about a Rainbow Lounge?

• Loving it, I'll be here every day. This IS now officially my new homepage on all devices!

• I'm in between. Fun idea but I don't really have much to say at the moment *puts it on watched*

• What's this? I chit chat where ever I want.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love the way that Jersey school district framed the explanation of gender identity! Good on them for including it. It really just needs to be simply stated, and then the kids will just say "ok, cool" and move right along.

In other news: I just made dining reservations for my upcoming trip in June! So the excitement is building. Since we will be there during Pride month (at the end of the month. so Pride in most other places, but after Gay Days orlando) I went searching for unique Pride themed Disney T-shirts. I usually can find fun things on Redbubble, but wasn't too excited by most of the options. Anyone know of some creative Pride designs? Or where else to look? About to scour Etsy

I am a gay man and am now in my 20th year of teaching elementary school music. I’ve had transgender students and students with 2 moms or 2 dads. My husband comes to our concerts and I can honestly say it’s never been a discussion in my classroom. The kids are much less concerned about someone being gay or trans than their parents are.

From my perspective, I’m hired to be their music teacher, which doesn’t involve discussions about sexual orientation or gender identity.
I tend to use the statement, let’s all treat each other kindly and stay focused on what we are here to do……. make music together.

That’s my personal choice. Which is partially influenced by not wanting to rock the boat and jeopardize my career over discussions I have with students.

I just don’t think laws like this are needed. I’ve never seen it be a problem in a school where I’ve taught.

But laws like this make me nervous. I wonder is it just a way to make a loud political statement? Or could someone really come after me and my job?

Just in case, I’ll make sure my professional dues and access to legal protection are up to date.

Last edited:
But laws like this make me nervous. I wonder is it just a way to make a loud political statement? Or could someone really come after me and my job?
Trying not to get too far into politics, but yes, I believe this is a loud political statement. And if they wanted to be louder they would go after somebody and their job. That's the danger of laws like this.

Welp, here we are in May now, with the leaked news that SCOTUS is likely going to overturn Roe, and the strong possibility they could attempt to overturn same-sex marriage at the federal level as well. Lovely weather we're having in Gilead, eh?

My wife and I were legally married in MA but live in a 'red' state that just closed its last abortion clinic and votes GOP in every single election. We live here because my family needs me and it's cheap. We have a toddler (my wife is the bio-parent), and I am on the birth certificate and have also done a second parent adoption as our lawyer, and GLAAD, advised. (If you haven't gotten your second parent adoption - NOW is the time, folks. Really, yesterday was the time, so get 'er done!) Despite all of this, I'm still nervous and starting to check out property values in other states. So far, I haven't really found housing we could afford in a more progressive state unless we're willing to live in the arctic tundra that is remote Maine. I'd love it, but I don't think we could hack the climate.

Anyway, I had the alarming realization yesterday that even overturning Roe targets us because, as same-sex couples, we all rely on fertility procedures to have children, unless we adopt. That means a higher risk for multiples and a likely inability to terminate any if necessary for the welfare of others. And in our pregnancy, we dealt with higher risk and gestational diabetes, so I don't want to have another baby at the risk of potentially costing me my wife and my son, his mother. And if we chose adoption, to be safe, what are the odds that we are even going to be allowed to adopt, as a gay couple, if our state legislature can now pass laws about that?

I'm having a small outpatient procedure today under Valium and I've never had it before. Good timing to try it, I think.

Welp, here we are in May now, with the leaked news that SCOTUS is likely going to overturn Roe, and the strong possibility they could attempt to overturn same-sex marriage at the federal level as well. Lovely weather we're having in Gilead, eh?

My wife and I were legally married in MA but live in a 'red' state that just closed its last abortion clinic and votes GOP in every single election. We live here because my family needs me and it's cheap. We have a toddler (my wife is the bio-parent), and I am on the birth certificate and have also done a second parent adoption as our lawyer, and GLAAD, advised. (If you haven't gotten your second parent adoption - NOW is the time, folks. Really, yesterday was the time, so get 'er done!) Despite all of this, I'm still nervous and starting to check out property values in other states. So far, I haven't really found housing we could afford in a more progressive state unless we're willing to live in the arctic tundra that is remote Maine. I'd love it, but I don't think we could hack the climate.

Anyway, I had the alarming realization yesterday that even overturning Roe targets us because, as same-sex couples, we all rely on fertility procedures to have children, unless we adopt. That means a higher risk for multiples and a likely inability to terminate any if necessary for the welfare of others. And in our pregnancy, we dealt with higher risk and gestational diabetes, so I don't want to have another baby at the risk of potentially costing me my wife and my son, his mother. And if we chose adoption, to be safe, what are the odds that we are even going to be allowed to adopt, as a gay couple, if our state legislature can now pass laws about that?

I'm having a small outpatient procedure today under Valium and I've never had it before. Good timing to try it, I think.

It's indeed a scary time Princesca. I'm sorry it's causing so much stress for you and your family. It's frustrating and angering and unfortunate that politics are always tied up in LGBTQ identities...I think I speak for most of us when I say WE don't want our lives to be political!

As far as moving to a more progressive area, I obviously have no idea what your financial situation is or what you and your wife do for work that might necessitate living in certain places. But if affordability is an issue, I would try looking outside of the major cities to start. Many small cities have really been booming as people flocked to them during the pandemic. The plus side of this is that they have become amazing places to live with the influx of people, new businesses, and culture. But prices were driven waaay up. Just remember that every bubble "pops." Housing is at a very expensive point right now, but its all a cycle, and the prices wont be this high forever (I can still remember just 6-7 months ago when NYC apartments were giving 3-4 free months rent to entice folks. And now we are back to crazy numbers). All to say: it's often about buying/moving at the right time. Don't let the stress of the world make you leap into a decision that won't be good for your family. The right time will happen.

Now, Cue up your favorite Disney playlist and give yourself a moment of peace before your procedure!

It's indeed a scary time Princesca. I'm sorry it's causing so much stress for you and your family. It's frustrating and angering and unfortunate that politics are always tied up in LGBTQ identities...I think I speak for most of us when I say WE don't want our lives to be political!

As far as moving to a more progressive area, I obviously have no idea what your financial situation is or what you and your wife do for work that might necessitate living in certain places. But if affordability is an issue, I would try looking outside of the major cities to start. Many small cities have really been booming as people flocked to them during the pandemic. The plus side of this is that they have become amazing places to live with the influx of people, new businesses, and culture. But prices were driven waaay up. Just remember that every bubble "pops." Housing is at a very expensive point right now, but its all a cycle, and the prices wont be this high forever (I can still remember just 6-7 months ago when NYC apartments were giving 3-4 free months rent to entice folks. And now we are back to crazy numbers). All to say: it's often about buying/moving at the right time. Don't let the stress of the world make you leap into a decision that won't be good for your family. The right time will happen.

Now, Cue up your favorite Disney playlist and give yourself a moment of peace before your procedure!
Yes, definitely. We currently live in a small town and I really love it. We prefer rural life, and neither of us wants to live in a city, and our dream is to own 2-5 acres somewhere. (As long as there's a couple of decent espresso options in town, anyway.) While I work remotely right now, my job probably does need me to stay in this state or in a neighboring one. Ohio is probably our only 'more progressive' option, and it has been a swing state too often for my comfort. So if it comes to needing to move, I'll be having to look for either another job or an internal move to a different locale, with my same company. We are also down to one income because, due to COVID, we opted to have my partner stay home with our son. Day cares were opening and closing more than a revolving door here, and it didn't seem feasible that we could both work jobs when the childcare situation was so uncertain. It won't always be that way, but that's our plan for the next couple years.

We were actually looking for a new house not long ago but just gave up due to the ridiculous pricing. I know I could sell our house for a premium now, but the problem is affording what we want to move into, and now I'm kinda glad we didn't make a move, since evolving circumstances might cause us to need to leave here. Right now, I feel like the only thing protecting us is our governor, who is an amazing human being. But with all the death threats he got for his COVID measures, I'm not sure he's going to win the next election. :/

I'm so saddened by the current environment. So many good friends here (even if I don't know you) who are stressed by how this could disrupt their lives. Will be doing all I can to keep your rights intact.

I'm so saddened by the current environment. So many good friends here (even if I don't know you) who are stressed by how this could disrupt their lives. Will be doing all I can to keep your rights intact.

No one is taking away anyones right to marry. To be honest if they took it away I get more of a tax return so it’s on them!

No one is taking away anyones right to marry. To be honest if they took it away I get more of a tax return so it’s on them!
I’m really, really sad to say that today’s decision has huge implications for same sex marriage. Roe and Obergfell rely on the same constitutional reasoning and Thomas’ concurring opinion expressly says he thinks the court should reconsider Obergfell. I think gay marriage is very much at risk.

I’m really, really sad to say that today’s decision has huge implications for same sex marriage. Roe and Obergfell rely on the same constitutional reasoning and Thomas’ concurring opinion expressly says he thinks the court should reconsider Obergfell. I think gay marriage is very much at risk.
Yes, this is really sad. About all we seem to be able to hope for is that a test case won't make it to the current court.

I don't think it is. While Roe and Obergefell were both decided on the basis of the 14th Amendment the decisions were based on different clauses within the amendment. Roe was based on the right of privacy that the state can't determine what healthcare decisions a citizen can make. Obergefell was decided on Due Process and Equal Protection as well as the Full Faith and Credit Clause in Article 4. Even if it were challenged, the Full Faith and Credit argument would prevail. It may strike down the forcing of states to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples but would require states to recognize marriages duly licensed in other states.

"It may strike down the forcing of states to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples but would require states to recognize marriages duly licensed in other states."

Your own quote details how same sex marriage IS on the chopping block. Thomas blatantly stated that same sex marriage and contraception need to be addressed next. Marriage is a right and we cannot have a patchwork of marriage laws in the country, with LGBTQ people as second class citizens in some states. The Heritage Foundation hand picked the last few conservative justices with the express goal of overturning Roe and Obergefell. Marriage will absolutely be next.

My partner and I are already discussing plans to get our marriage license very soon in order to lock in protections for each other before the eventual wedding ceremony we want to have. We were also looking at getting a place in Fort Lauderdale as a winter home/income property and eventual retirement spot, but that search has been completely dropped. The concept of buying in a red state (even if the area we would purchase in is very progressive) is unthinkable right now and completely dangerous. Instead, we are now wondering if we need to be searching outside the US. I'm thankful to live in a blue state, but this is an incredibly scary time to be living in. The Roe news (and Thomas' letter regarding other court decisions which he believes need to be examined and overturned) came on the last day of my Disney trip and not even Disney could heal my heart after this sucker punch.

My wife and I are keeping our options open. We currently live in a very red state, were married in Ptown, and have a kid. We are both on the birth cert, and I have completed my SPA. I have my attorney working on an estate plan for us, in case our marriage is jeopardized, and we are actively researching other places to move to in the event the worst happens, including thinking about starting to summer with a friend in Canada, so we have a toehold there. I'm grateful I work for a progressive company that already lets me work remotely, and would support me if I needed to change locations permanently.

In short, we are taking this very seriously.

Hi everyone! :wave2:

When Pete call we listen, right peeps? :cheer2::banana::cheer2:

So in another fun effort to boost this LGBT-section on the boards - I want to invite you all to the Rainbow Lounge! :rainbow:

:welcome::smickey::welcome:

There are a few "non Disney" topics here in this section already, but here's our own relaxed hang out to just chit-chat away with no Off Topic concerns, since we won't have a general topic. :chat:

No holding back on "partner", "hubby", "wifey", "snuggle boo"... or whatever we chose to call our dear ones! :love2:

Let's chit chat about everything from daily things to our big dreams. So just rant it all off here, or why not just stop by and say Hi! to bump this new fun thread to the top again (where it sure will belong). :woohoo:

Looking forward to chit chat with you all! - Let's get this party started! pixiedust:

:tinker:
Hi how’s it going

I love the way that Jersey school district framed the explanation of gender identity! Good on them for including it. It really just needs to be simply stated, and then the kids will just say "ok, cool" and move right along.

In other news: I just made dining reservations for my upcoming trip in June! So the excitement is building. Since we will be there during Pride month (at the end of the month. so Pride in most other places, but after Gay Days orlando) I went searching for unique Pride themed Disney T-shirts. I usually can find fun things on Redbubble, but wasn't too excited by most of the options. Anyone know of some creative Pride designs? Or where else to look? About to scour Etsy
I created some fun logos while I was learning about a loved ones' transition. I haven't had the heart to sell them yet, though. I also haven't had the time. lol But if there's enough of a demand, I'd put an order in on some custom T's for anyone if they like the concept.
The icons were created after each different flag. Mine is an Ally Male flag, with a big ole' smiley face on the top. We don't talk about sexuality on the channel, because the children are just too young. But I wanted a way to show the poor souls that also got a divorce that there is a way to meet fun people and rebuild your own family while hanging out in a wholesome environment.
I don't know how to share a link right now, because I just opened this account. But feel free to check out our website and scroll on the big banner at the home page until you see, "Judgement Free Love Icons".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter