The Problem with Galaxy's Edge

Reminder:

It is often good advice if you see a thread or post which your are unhappy with to walk away and give yourself a time out. Alternatively use the report post button which will alert all the moderators and the webmasters to any post, where appropriate action if necessary will be taken. If you add a comment yourself you may also face infractions as per the guidelines.

Well this trend has proven the point that star wars fans are very much divided lol. Like someone else said, there are star wars fans that want every piece of content going forward to be stuck in the OT timeline and that's it and others that are more open to new ideas. It's tough to please everyone lol.

Well your response also demonstrates something we see quite a bit in the Star Wars fan debates too: strawmanning. At least for my part, in this thread, I have argued that every era of Star Wars should be represented in Galaxy's Edge, and not just one limited timeframe like we have currently, stuck between arguably the most divisive (TLJ) and weakest entries (TROS) in the entire Star Wars era. Also I would be fine with Batuu as a locale but again, so long as multiple timelines and characters can be explored. It absolutely does not have to be limited to the OT or any specific time in the Star Wars stories.

Well it's not like OT timeline characters aren't at Disney Parks. Last time I went there in 2017 I saw Vader, Bobba Fett, and others as well as new characters like Captain Phasma and Kylo. Technically they could just put OT character appearances at the Star Wars launch bay or near Star Tours ( since that attraction is based off the OT for the most part. OR they could have a mix of old and new characters in Galaxy Edge just to keep everyone happy. As it seems no one would really care if Vader walks though Batuu. But I do understand why Disney went the way they did with the area.

As it seems no one would really care if Vader walks though Batuu.
Well, I'm sure there are die-hard fans out there who would bristle about breaking continuity, disrupting timelines, not canonical, etc. But anecdotal evidence would seem to suggest most of the people who are that invested are more likely to WANT the OT characters there.

Well, I'm sure there are die-hard fans out there who would bristle about breaking continuity, disrupting timelines, not canonical, etc. But anecdotal evidence would seem to suggest most of the people who are that invested are more likely to WANT the OT characters there.

I mentioned continuity and timelines when talking about Avengers Campus that just opened and someone here stated they and others didn't care about continuity rather seeing their favorite Marvel characters in the parks. I am big on storytelling and immersion when in a Disney park in particular but overlook things in the name of fun. The same could apply to Batuu and Star Wars in the parks. Besides, Batuu clearly existed a LONG time and was around during the OT (just never mentioned obviously). There is even a few Disney Star Wars novels set on Batuu with Luke and even Han going there shortly after the events of Return of the Jedi. So it honestly could work without breaking canon.

I like the town of Batuu itself- it looks appropriately "Star-Warsy". I say this as a mega fan. I do wish it wasn't solely set in the sequel trilogy universe- it doesn't have to be this "set" place in time- it can apply to a multitude of era's. At the end of the day this is a theme park and we all know that. The land should simply be a celebration of all Star Wars. We should be able to encounter Luke/Leia/Vader, Rey, Kylo Ren, and Darth Maul, storm troopers, battle-droids, Mando, Ahsoka.. all of it.

And I hope Disney makes changes (I think they will)- at the very least they are going to get some representation from The Mandalorian and other more recent series in there, as they will absolutely want to tie into the latest thing.

The kids absolutely loved ET and Jaws they can tell quality if they are exposed to it

I was shocked at how well ET held up after decades. The clothing and cars were the only things that dated it. We watched that to prep for our first Universal trip, and for DD's cultural literacy.

Special effects don't hold up so well.

Modifying Rise of the Resistance would be the biggest hurdle.
I don't think it would be that diificult. Change the color of the X-Wing, reshoot some video and audio, redress Kylo as Vader and you have Rise of the Rebellion.

I don't think it would be that diificult. Change the color of the X-Wing, reshoot some video and audio, redress Kylo as Vader and you have Rise of the Rebellion.

You'd have to get rid of all the filmed sequences with the ST actors. Swap out the "new" stormtroopers for the old. Get rid of the Finn, Kylo and Hux animatronics. Re-do all of the video scenes with era-appropriate ships, etc.

Swap out all of the costumes for the live actors.

and, really, the interior sets look like First Order sets, not the classic imperial versions. That may not matter all that much to some, but it's identifiably NOT OT era.

It's quite a lot. And you wouldn't be able to replace the actors with OT versions, as they're either too old or too dead, so you'd lose the fun of seeing the "real" actors and would instead be stuck with generic substitutions.

It's quite a lot, actually. I'm sure I"m forgetting many things.

LOL. Fair enough. I still like the idea.

I do, too!

But, sadly, the more I think about it (having just ridden it for the first time last week), the more complex it seems.

I don't think they'll ever change the land to the OT/Imperial era for one reason: merch.

In the ST-era, everything in the SW franchise is in "the past" - therefore, it could reasonably show up as merch: PT, OT, ST, etc.

But set it in the OT-timeline and, whooosh, no more ST/First Order/Resistance merch and no Mando/Grogu merch, nor Ahsoka, book of boba fett and a lot of the stuff still in the pipeline.

Maybe they could do a special re-theme for a limited time, but I doubt they'd go through all that trouble.

The characters in the old ones have all died, so you really can't have Luke or Vader or Leah or Han walking around.

The characters in the new ones are still going, so you COULD run into one of them at the place. Even you could make a case for Ren still being alive somehow. Maybe. Sort of. By Chewie, Rey, Finn, all those folks are still walking around.

The characters in the old ones have all died, so you really can't have Luke or Vader or Leah or Han walking around.

The characters in the new ones are still going, so you COULD run into one of them at the place. Even you could make a case for Ren still being alive somehow. Maybe. Sort of. By Chewie, Rey, Finn, all those folks are still walking around.

Kylo Ren is a character at the parks since the timeframe of the land is before Episode 9.

Far as I know Finn and Poe do not appear in the parks at all. Just Rey, Kylo, Chewie, and Storm Troopers and the new character that is featured in the Batuu novels Disney put out to hype up Galaxy's Edge when it was getting ready to open.

Last edited:
Far as I know Finn and Poe do not appear in the parks at all. Just Rey, Kylo, Chewie, and Storm Troopers and the new character that is featured in the Batuu novels Disney put out to hype up Galaxy's Edge when it was getting ready to open.
Finn and Poe do appear in the parks.

Both appear in Star Tours, as well.

But they're not roving characters like Rey.

That's what I mean. They aren't characters you can meet in the parks like Rey, Chewie, Kylo. I knew they were on the rides ROTR and Star Tours but that's about it.

Let me preface with I enjoyed my time at GE, loved Rise and loved being ON the Millennium Falcon and being somewhat inside the Star Wars universe. However, the problem with GE is the timeline. Firmly planting it in the middle of the last 3 movies was a colossal mistake.
The First Order sucks, they're lousy villains and the lack of anything from the original trilogy besides Easter eggs here and there is a tragedy.
Sure Rey is cool, and it's nice to see Chewie, but that's it.

Agreed. They are trying to put the focus on the movies and characters for the current generation, however this generation cannot afford trips to Disney. that would be the grandparents and parents, who like the original. also, disney does not want to have pay any royalties to lucas, so that is why they killed off all of the legacy characters and the focus is on the new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter