The One Where I Forget to Take Pics - A December 2015 Dining Report - COMPLETED, 2/8: Boma

Since on previous visits, I'd selected cupcakes for my dessert, I decided to mix it up tonight a bit...

20151209_205459-1.jpg

Yep, I went for the Eclair! And I didn't regret my choice... It was SCRUMPTIOUS!!

I am so glad you tried this, because it's the dessert that appeals to me most on the menu. Yay that it's good!!!

Ohana
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Saturday, December 5, 2015
Dinner

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM!

Ya'll know what time it is!

It's OHANA time!!!

No pics of the ‘Ohana Pineapple-Coconut Bread or the Mixed Greens Salad. Doh!

And again, you'll see a lot of half-eaten dishes here. SORRY!

For example... The remaining half of the Pork Dumplings and Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings:

20151205_204526-1.jpg

Some half-eaten Teriyaki Lo Mein Noodles and Stir-Fried Vegetables (though you can see my uncle beautiful loaded-up plate in upper left corner):

20151205_205408-1.jpg

Grilled Peel-n-Eat Shrimp, Szechuan Sirloin Steak, and Sweet-n-Sour Chicken:

20151205_210141-1.jpg

Re-Order of Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings:

20151205_210411-1.jpg

Ohana Bread Pudding à la mode with Bananas-Caramel Sauce:

20151205_213950-1.jpg

And the gluten-free dessert they made for my aunt... I think it was a gluten-free ice-cream and chocolate sauce, three chocolate soft-baked gluten-free cookies, and mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries for sure, and I think I see a strawberry in there, too):

20151205_214028-1.jpg

This was Aunt Debby and Uncle Mark's introduction to Disney table service dining, and they were pretty much blown away. They declared it one of the best meals they'd ever had, and couldn't imagine how anything else that week could top it!

This is a reminder to take people's opinions with a grain of salt. I have Ohana planned on next trip and even though I have been reading these boards for 16 years and even though people have been saying that Ohana is "not the same" or "going down hill" for that entire time, people are still having stellar experiences there. I think I want to take my chances yum yum!

Yum, this looks so good!

I really want to try this, I am just not sure how well it would work for hubby who can only eat seafood and picky boy child one who is less picky then he was, but won't eat any of the items in your pictures. Maybe one day if I do a solo or girl trip.

I guess Hubby can gorge himself on shrimp and sides (he won't even eat potstickers?) But Ohana will bring kid foods for your picky kiddos... my son will probably eat meat and chicken (not shrimp) from the skewers, maybe, but they will also bring grilled cheese, nuggets, mac and cheese etc. Planning to get him a side of mac and cheese and let him eat some meat with it. If you can work it out with hubby give it a go!

I guess Hubby can gorge himself on shrimp and sides (he won't even eat potstickers?) But Ohana will bring kid foods for your picky kiddos... my son will probably eat meat and chicken (not shrimp) from the skewers, maybe, but they will also bring grilled cheese, nuggets, mac and cheese etc. Planning to get him a side of mac and cheese and let him eat some meat with it. If you can work it out with hubby give it a go!

Hubby can't eat meat (land based animals). It is a weird allergy/intolerance issue. So while he would love to eat things with meat in them, he can't. It leave the potstickers out too, since they are pork based. It is just a very meat based menu which is super hard with his allergy.

Hubby can't eat meat (land based animals). It is a weird allergy/intolerance issue. So while he would love to eat things with meat in them, he can't. It leave the potstickers out too, since they are pork based. It is just a very meat based menu which is super hard with his allergy.
Does he do vegetarian? The vegetarian option at Ohana has been stunning over the years. Maybe he could have that and some shrimp. Honestly it seems like something worth pursuing, people have always been very impressed by the "special menu" treatment at Ohana!

Harambe Market
Animal Kingdom
Tuesday, December 8, 2015
Lunch

This was one of my favorite quick-service meals of the whole trip... and I took exactly ZERO photos. NONE. That's how delicious it was! Soooo away to DisneyFoodBlog.com we shall go!

ribs1.jpg

Spice-rubbed Karubi Ribs, with Green Papaya-Carrot Slaw and a Chickpea, Cucumber and Tomato Salad.

I looooved these ribs! They were a dry-rub style of rib, which I mentioned before is definitely my preference. I thought about ordering it without the slaw on top, since it didn't sound like something I would dig. But I decided to be brave... which was silly. One bite of it, and I ended up immediately scoop the slaw up and putting it off to the side. And I really wanted to like the salad, since I love chickpeas and tomatoes... but I hate cucumbers, so it just wasn't happening.

Oh, but those ribs...

ribs2.jpg

Mmmmmm. :cloud9: I wish I was eating them RIGHT NOW.

Oh, and dessert, too...

milktart1.jpg

African Milk Tart: Coconut Custard in a Chocolate Tart Shell dusted with Sugar and Five-Spice Powder then drizzled with Dark Chocolate Ganache.

Now I love coconut, and I love chocolate, but this was INCREDIBLY unique. The flavors were unlike anything I've ever had before. Honestly, I'm not even sure what I can compare it to! But it really was good, and I'm looking forward to having it again in October! :cutie:

For the curious, here's a cross-section of it:

milktart2.jpg

And I washed all this deliciousness down with a Sparletta brand "Sparberry" soda, which is apparently popular in South Africa! I like fruity sodas, so I was happy with this! :goodvibes

Holy cow that looks good and I had no idea it was even there!

Hollywood & Vine - Minnie's Holiday Dine
Hollywood Studios
Tuesday, December 8, 2015
Dinner

I was SUPER excited for this brand new Holiday-themed dining experience with Minnie and friends! The character interaction did NOT disappoint! The food was okay! There wasn't any wow factor or anything to it, but it was a good solid dinner buffet. It was about what I was expecting, honestly. I did H&V years and years ago for dinner, so I kinda new what I was getting into. I tried tons of stuff, and only one thing was bad. Everything else was good, though!

20151208_175647-1.jpg

My plate-o-meats. Salmon, beef, stuffed chicken, and pork. Because I'm a carnivore at heart.

20151208_175650-1.jpg

Turkey, Lobster and Shimp Mac & Cheese (which was good on the first round!), and Meatballs.

20151208_181646-1.jpg

More deliciousableness! I think the think on top was more chicken, and then there some pumpkin ravioli, and more beef flank steak and salmon, and lobster & shrimp mac & cheese. I made the mistake of picking up that big piece of lobster claw and taking a big ol' bite out of it... :sad2: Now I had some pretty sizey chunks of lobster in my first pass on this dish, and didn't notice a thing wrong with it. But biting into that thing like that was AWFUL. It tasted like taking a bite of a styrofoam cup that had been soaking in cigarette water. :crazy2: I tossed it aside, and the rest of the mac & cheese dish tasted FINE! So weird, right? :confused3

I know I got a dessert plate, but I guess I didn't get a photo. Sorry, I was hoping to end this review on a better note! :goodvibes

Claw meat can be kind of spongy and does not benefit from sitting around and being overcooked. Might not notice it in little bits but a huge piece like that was probably nasty. mental note: avoid the claw meat. Planning on this for our december trip!

Why do I only seem to read about food when I'm hungry? Of course it all looks delicious!
Girl, I have that SAME problem! :rotfl:

I am so glad you tried this, because it's the dessert that appeals to me most on the menu. Yay that it's good!!!
I really enjoyed it! I hope you will, too! :goodvibes

This is a reminder to take people's opinions with a grain of salt. I have Ohana planned on next trip and even though I have been reading these boards for 16 years and even though people have been saying that Ohana is "not the same" or "going down hill" for that entire time, people are still having stellar experiences there. I think I want to take my chances yum yum!
I've learned the same thing! For YEARS I avoided the Coral Reef, then finally tried it in 2014, and had a WONDERFUL experience. On the other hand, I've tried things that I've seen the praises sung often on these boards (the Tie-Dyed Cheesecake at Pop Century, the Beignets at POFQ, etc), and I was underwhelmed! You just never know until you try things for yourself! ::yes::

Holy cow that looks good and I had no idea it was even there!
Harambe Market is relatively new, and kinda hidden! I had to ask a CM to help me find it!

Claw meat can be kind of spongy and does not benefit from sitting around and being overcooked. Might not notice it in little bits but a huge piece like that was probably nasty. mental note: avoid the claw meat. Planning on this for our december trip!
Yes, I definitely learned the hard way about the claw meat! Blech! :crazy2:

:love: :::frantically adds Friar's Nook to list of must-do restaurants:::
Because there will be NO DIETING for me while at Disney World! :banana:
Pfffft! Calories don't count on vacation! :cutie:

I'm so so so glad that I booked it for this trip, because it turned out to be probably the best character meal we had all week!

Yay!!! Sooo looking forward to this!!!

I do know this, though... I cleaned my plate. So it must have been excellent!

::yes:: :thumbsup2

And at the end, they totally surprised me with a BIRTHDAY CUPCAKE!
And then, being that it was my birthday week and all, I was brought a special treat...

2 Birthday treats!!!!!! :banana:

The Pot Roast Mac & Cheese!

Don't know about that combo, but I guess can't knock it if I haven't tried it. Glad you enjoyed it though.

The Grey Stuff! I've tried it! It's delicious! (Don't believe me, blah blah blah.)

blah blah blah?
Excuse me Miss, don't go disrespecting my song now :sad2:

Looks like another culinary day winner.

I am so glad to hear consistent good reviews of BOG. I am really excited to have dinner there later this fall. Everything looks really good! What are the changes you noticed in the lamb chops on the menu now if I can ask?

I know they're relatively generic, but I love love love Disney danishes!

I've heard great things about their cheese danish. Wonder what their secret is? ;)

And I really wanted to like the salad, since I love chickpeas and tomatoes... but I hate cucumbers, so it just wasn't happening.

I was just going to say that the salad looked amazing. Sorry you didn't love it. :sad1:

The flavors were unlike anything I've ever had before. Honestly, I'm not even sure what I can compare it to! But it really was good, and I'm looking forward to having it again in October!

Huh. I love five spice powder but I'd never thought of it on a dessert. :confused3 I would love to try that.

I made the mistake of picking up that big piece of lobster claw and taking a big ol' bite out of it... :sad2: Now I had some pretty sizey chunks of lobster in my first pass on this dish, and didn't notice a thing wrong with it. But biting into that thing like that was AWFUL. It tasted like taking a bite of a styrofoam cup that had been soaking in cigarette water. :crazy2: I tossed it aside, and the rest of the mac & cheese dish tasted FINE! So weird, right? :confused3

Yuck! I'm a sucker for lobster and mac & cheese so that picture looks awesome. Stinks that it tasted so terrible. :scared1:

Because cupcakes for breakfast make COMPLETE sense at Walt Disney World!

agree.gif

Apparently BoG puts mushrooms in EVERYTHING! (I, on the other hand, absolutely love mushrooms so I guess that's why I never noticed!)

I love mushrooms, too. But I didn't think they were such a popular ingredient to make ordering difficult. :confused3

Yep, I went for the Eclair! And I didn't regret my choice... It was SCRUMPTIOUS!

Wouldn't expect to see an eclair on the dessert menu but it looks delish. :goodvibes

We loved BOG when we were there. I know it gets mixed revierws, but we had a good experience. The eclair was I think the only desert we didn't try and it looks good.

That mac and cheese looks good!

Glad you had a great meal at BOG. I do notice that a LOT of things have mushrooms (not only at BOG but WDW in general) I'm not a fan of mushrooms (not an allergy, just a preference) and they were able to make the shrimp/scallop with veggies thing without mushrooms for me luckily, because it was one of the best things I ate that week.

Glad you had a great meal at BOG Billie. The dinner I had there was the absolute worst of my trip and I vowed never to go back, but maybe I could give them another try if they've improved.

:rotfl2:Durp. I'm putting my newbie badge back on

giphy.gif
This cracked me up! :laughing:

Yay!!! Sooo looking forward to this!!!
You'll looove Crystal Palace! It's super YUM!

2 Birthday treats!!!!!! :banana:
Yes! That birthday button can score some serious swag! :cutie:

Don't know about that combo, but I guess can't knock it if I haven't tried it. Glad you enjoyed it though.
It was DELICIOUS!!!!! I can't wait to eat it again in October!

blah blah blah?
Excuse me Miss, don't go disrespecting my song now :sad2:
Sorry, bro. :hug:

Looks like another culinary day winner.
It sure was!!

I am so glad to hear consistent good reviews of BOG. I am really excited to have dinner there later this fall. Everything looks really good! What are the changes you noticed in the lamb chops on the menu now if I can ask?
It used to be lam chops in a mustard-based sauce. Now it looks like it just "roasted lamb" which could be any cut really, and some sort of fruity sauce. (Still sounds tasty, though!)

I've heard great things about their cheese danish. Wonder what their secret is? ;)
Back in December 2009, so 6+ years ago now, I took my ex-BF for his first his first and only trip to Disney World. We've remained friends, and to this day, he still talks about the cheese danish he ate on our first night there! :rotfl:

I was just going to say that the salad looked amazing. Sorry you didn't love it. :sad1:
I would have if not for the cucumbers! I love chickpeas and I love fresh tomatoes!

Huh. I love five spice powder but I'd never thought of it on a dessert. :confused3 I would love to try that.
It's definitely unique! I loved it, though!

Yuck! I'm a sucker for lobster and mac & cheese so that picture looks awesome. Stinks that it tasted so terrible. :scared1:
You should still try it, if your go there! Just beware of biting into any big hunk of claw meat. :rotfl:

I love mushrooms, too. But I didn't think they were such a popular ingredient to make ordering difficult. :confused3
I didn't either! I guess since I WELCOME them in my food... The more mushrooms, the better! :thumbsup2

Wouldn't expect to see an eclair on the dessert menu but it looks delish. :goodvibes
Whaaaat! Why wouldn't you expect to see an eclair on there? It's supposedly french, and and is far more authentic than the cupcakes! :laughing:

We loved BOG when we were there. I know it gets mixed revierws, but we had a good experience. The eclair was I think the only desert we didn't try and it looks good.
Yes! I've seen the bad reviews, but my 3 times eating there have all been great! ::yes::

That mac and cheese looks good!
Oh man, it was sooooooo good! It's been almost two months, and I'm still dreaming about it! :cloud9:

Glad you had a great meal at BOG. I do notice that a LOT of things have mushrooms (not only at BOG but WDW in general) I'm not a fan of mushrooms (not an allergy, just a preference) and they were able to make the shrimp/scallop with veggies thing without mushrooms for me luckily, because it was one of the best things I ate that week.
Ooooh, good to know they can do that for you! I had that dish (with all the mushrooms) on my first BoG visit, and absolutely loved it!

Glad you had a great meal at BOG Billie. The dinner I had there was the absolute worst of my trip and I vowed never to go back, but maybe I could give them another try if they've improved.
I remember reading about how bad your experience there was in your TR! :sad1: I've read quite a few less-than-stellar reviews of the place. But for me, out of three times eating there... twice for dinner and once for lunch... I've had nothing but good experiences! So much so that I'm trying it on my next trip for breakfast! :cutie:

Oh yum, Crystal Palace breakfast!! I love that puffed french toast and my mouth is watering just thinking about getting my hands on some in May!

And that Pot Roast Mac & Cheese looks AMAZING! On my list for October...along with at least 5,000 other things. So much food, so little time.

Oh yum, Crystal Palace breakfast!! I love that puffed french toast and my mouth is watering just thinking about getting my hands on some in May!
I know, I can't stop dreaming about it! I looked at trying to fit breakfast there into my October schedule, but sadly, it's just not going to happen. Definitely the next one after that, though!

And that Pot Roast Mac & Cheese looks AMAZING!
Giiiiiirl, it was SO GOOD!!

On my list for October...along with at least 5,000 other things. So much food, so little time.
Tell me about it. My ADR list for October is out of control, AND I'm going F&W, too!!!

Apology accepted :flower2:
Hooray!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter