*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

Construction Moves to Sugar Loaf Building at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort

Signs now re-direct traffic to the Magic Kingdom boat launch as construction blocks the old pathway.

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8789

Sugar Loaf Building Construction at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa​

Sugar Loaf Building Construction

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8791

A new concrete pathway is still drying but will eventually lead to Gasparilla Island Grill.

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8793

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8794

1674418238575.jpeg

Narcoossee’s closed last summer for an extended refurbishment.

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8825

It’s surrounded by construction walls and shingles were removed from most of its roof. Black weather-proof sheathing protects the building from water damage.

grand floridian construction jan 2023 8827

1674418300993.jpeg

1674418339489.jpeg

*Click link for additional pics
Is Conch key still covered in scaffolding? Thx

Do we know when the lobby will be renovated? I thought I saw March somewhere but now can’t find it. I will be going in October and am wondering about the possibility of construction then.

Last edited:

Construction at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort to Impact Floridian Way Traffic

Construction on the expansion of Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort will impact traffic on Floridian Way through late summer 2023.

The work will begin today and is expected to cause brief and intermittent delays on Floridian Way.

The new traffic ramp connecting Floridian Way and World Drive finally opened in December. Construction recently reduced World Drive to one lane not far from the Magic Kingdom parking plaza.

Very excited to be able to get a Standard View Deluxe Studio at 11 months for next January after New Year's, so it is still possible (though it was gone after I grabbed it). These now seem much more difficult to get than before the expansion into the association.

I have heard that Grand Floridian will be having a lobby renovation starting March 2023. I am hoping to stay there at the end of August for a one bedroom villa. Should I worry how much of an inconvenience this will be? I am not sure of where the villas are.

I have heard that Grand Floridian will be having a lobby renovation starting March 2023. I am hoping to stay there at the end of August for a one bedroom villa. Should I worry how much of an inconvenience this will be? I am not sure of where the villas are.
They are completely separate buildings. The only way it would affect you if you want to go relax in and enjoy the lobby (shopping/bar/restaurants), which is something a lot of visitors enjoy doing at The Grand. There has not been any information put out so far how it will be renovated (in sections, all at once, etc.) so it’s hard to say how much of an impact it would have. Below, I provided a map for a visual. The yellow circled area is the villas building, and the red circled area is the main building where the lobby is located. Hope that helps.

E503BBAB-74E4-4257-988F-EF2DB568E75B.jpeg

They are completely separate buildings. The only way it would affect you if you want to go relax in and enjoy the lobby (shopping/bar/restaurants), which is something a lot of visitors enjoy doing at The Grand. There has not been any information put out so far how it will be renovated (in sections, all at once, etc.) so it’s hard to say how much of an impact it would have. Below, I provided a map for a visual. The yellow circled area is the villas building, and the red circled area is the main building where the lobby is located. Hope that helps.

View attachment 736737
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the information.

My wife and I are staying the first week of May in a resort studio. What should we be on the look out for with refurbishments besides the lobby?

My wife and I are staying the first week of May in a resort studio. What should we be on the look out for with refurbishments besides the lobby?
The other notable ones right now are

a) the walkway between VGF and POLY is down due to construction on the new poly tower. You can still walk between the resorts, but it involves dipping out to the main road.

B) they have been cycling other construction across other hotel buildings and narcooses. I'm not sure where they intend to be by may, but it won't affect your life when you're in your room so much as it will if you're walking the grounds.

WoW Looking at some of those pics, has me a lil baffled. Why don't they have hard / solid 6or 8ft walls up to disguise some of the construction.....Seems kinda weird to walk right next to a construction zone & basically reach out and touch/see some of the equipment? :confused3 Especially after paying top $$ for staying here too. I'm sure I won't mind it too much when we stay here in June, but, just seems odd thats all.

When we were there Nov/Dec the walk to the boat launch was through tall white construction walls on both sides, looks like they’ve taken one of those down (maybe the one in front of Conch Key?) & replaced it w/ the short green barriers.
The white walls look to have gone up around Sugar Loaf Key which weren’t up when we were there.

The one bedroom DVC villas are in a separate building from the main lobby.

Walkway Between Magic Kingdom and Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort Closing Due to Construction

Disney has announced that the path between the resort and the Magic Kingdom will be closing on February 13 due to ongoing refurbishments.

A reopening date has not been announced, though Disney said the path will be accessible in late spring.

Boat and monorail transportation will remain available to guests traveling to Magic Kingdom.
I hope they get it open for our April trip....... grrrr, might have to move our reservation from VGF.

I could put up with the Poly to VGF walkway being down...... or using the new obstacle course they installed to get to Poly, but this really sucks.

Last edited:

Walkway Between Magic Kingdom and Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort Closing Due to Construction

Disney has announced that the path between the resort and the Magic Kingdom will be closing on February 13 due to ongoing refurbishments.

A reopening date has not been announced, though Disney said the path will be accessible in late spring.

Boat and monorail transportation will remain available to guests traveling to Magic Kingdom.
Thanks for sharing, sounds like May or June if it's late spring. And possibly that the whole marine might be walled off judging by one of the new sidewalk photos. Watching to see when Gasparilla's might close as well. Where can I find this announcement from Disney? I looked on main website and couldn't find it. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing, sounds like May or June if it's late spring. And possibly that the whole marine might be walled off judging by one of the new sidewalk photos. Watching to see when Gasparilla's might close as well. Where can I find this announcement from Disney? I looked on main website and couldn't find it. Thanks!
I’m not sure where exactly it is posted, but here is the official Disney announcement, according to Blog Mickey:

As we prepare to refurbish more guest rooms and buildings at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the walking path between Grand Floridian and Magic Kingdom Park will be temporarily closed beginning Feb. 13 and is expected to reopen late this spring. Boat and monorail transportation will remain available to Guests traveling to Magic Kingdom.

It’s possible it was a statement released and not on the website just yet.

well boo! I was looking forward to using the walkway from GF to MK at the end of February!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter