• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

Planning on doing this in 2013!

WOW 10 pm...that will be crazy different from my normal schedule of early morning runs. Any advice on this? I hope I just get caught up in the excitement.

Do a couple of evening runs this summer/fall.

Stay off your feet race day. (I fail at this 10 miles on my pedometer at race start)

So glad I found this thread!

I'm in! This will be my first Half!
:cheer2: This is a great first half :cheer2:

I'm trying to convince DH that we need to do this in 2013 and not wait until 2014 with limited success. We ran ToT in September and so I am wondering how does this race measure up? Despite the oppressive heat, we had a blast doing ToT even though I heard it wasn't as good as other Disney races which is why I am dying to do this one. The night races work for us because my folks can tag along to watch the kids.

My only concern is that after running ToT I felt too sick to do anything but walk back to YC so I am wondering if November will prove to be less humid so that maybe I'll be able to hit a few rides/character meets in the Epcot after the race rather than passing out on the sidewalk? :)

We ran W&D in 2010 & 2011 when it was early, this year was much easier
to enjoy the party.

This my first ever post to DIS- so please forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

I am a brand new runner, just started training for my first 5k in hopes of doing the Wine and Dine half marathon in November. I am so excited and terrified at the same time!

:welcome:

my 1st Disney race-wish me luck!

Good Luck!

I am SO in!!! Dragging my DS (15) with me. He says it's better than the Princess half-marathon. ;) Am hopeful I can stretch the trip to cover both the Hallowe'en and Christmas festivities! :hyper:

Am nursing a sore hip from an unrelated surgery and can only manage 5k at the moment and then I am sore after. The longest race I have ever done is 10k (and that was 5 years ago)... Am doing another in May, a duathlon in May, an Army Run half-marathon in September and THEN... W&D in November. WOOT!!!

I am not fit so will join the peeps over in WISH.

Does anyone know if traditionally it works out better to take the race/room package or just to maybe hold out for a free dining package?

Much thanks!

Registration opens March 12 per the runDisney website. Whoop! Whoop!:cool1::woohoo:

PlutoBaby said:
Registration opens March 12 per the runDisney website. Whoop! Whoop!:cool1::woohoo:

Bad news - I won't be able to register until the 16th

Good news - I will be on a Disney Cruise (our first!) when registration opens, so I can't be too sad!

Cannot wait to get registered!

I am jumping in to start this! My DH and I have decided to do this, and besides my doing the C25K last year and running a 5k, this will be my first attempt at a run of any significance. :thumbsup2

If you have decided to do this run too, then please join in and let's work together to be ready for next November!

Race weekend is November 8th to 10th, 2013 with the race being held November 9th at 10pm.

Planned Participants:
Schoonersky & DH
Helloirishkitty
Mac4life30
Tiger Lily 03 (maybe?)
Rupert B Puppenstein (possibly, unless the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon wins out!)
es45
Haas4Concern
Mking623 (maybe!)
Nole95 & DW (maybe!)
Lerxst
irishwishes
Longhorns2

Supporters and/or 2014 hopefuls:
UGAFan0829

I will try to keep the list updated but if I get your information wrong, or you don't want to be on the list just pm me!
count me in!

Thank you so much for that, I have been stalking runDisney waiting for registration dates to be posted! I've already got our package taken care of, I just have to get the registration completed! :yay:

fozziepitysthefool said:
I am SO in!!! Dragging my DS (15) with me. He says it's better than the Princess half-marathon. ;) Am hopeful I can stretch the trip to cover both the Hallowe'en and Christmas festivities! :hyper:

Am nursing a sore hip from an unrelated surgery and can only manage 5k at the moment and then I am sore after. The longest race I have ever done is 10k (and that was 5 years ago)... Am doing another in May, a duathlon in May, an Army Run half-marathon in September and THEN... W&D in November. WOOT!!!

Does anyone know if traditionally it works out better to take the race/room package or just to maybe hold out for a free dining package?

Much thanks!

If I recall from last year, the Friday before the race was the first Very Merry Christmas. We went to MK the weekend before (for Fantasyland preview) and it was all Halloween, when went back the following week for W&D it was all Christmas.

Much thanks!

It would be possible to do both a MNSSHP and MVMCP if you are there long enough. As lerxst said, the 1st MVMCP was the Friday before the race (my non running friends attended that one).

As for package vs hold out for free dining....I think it depends on what is important to you. Choice of resort? "Value" of money paid to Disney? I went with free dining last year. I could have gotten a better deal if I booked room only and paid OOP for food, but I was splurging for my birthday and spent the extra $30 to have set plans and stuff prepaid (if I have a TS credit and an ADR, I am far more likely to sit and enjoy a nice meal than if I were just walking around the park and wanted to eat.). I am also a huge fan of renting DVC points if you are not a DVC member.

Ugh I wish Disney would update all of the information at once, instead of just bits and pieces. It bugs me. lol It says "Registration is open..." and right below that "Registration opens March 12..." :rolleyes2

I wonder how much the price increase will be this year...

Ugh I wish Disney would update all of the information at once, instead of just bits and pieces. It bugs me. lol It says "Registration is open..." and right below that "Registration opens March 12..." :rolleyes2

I wonder how much the price increase will be this year...

My guess: opening price, $190.

Running the half solo, but will be doing the 5k w/ 2 friends who are not quite ready for the big race yet!

I ran it solo last year as the DH came down with a last minute cold and had to bail at the last minute :sad:. The only time I hated was waiting in the last corral waiting for the start. It seemed like EVERYONE was running with someone and I felt SO lonely :sad1:. So you can bet this year, if I see someone with that lost look on their face, I will DEFINITELY strike up a conversation ::yes::! Of course, with all the W.I.S.H.'ers, I doubt anyone will have to worry about that :grouphug:!

The race itself was fun, except for the crowded sections through AK, but all the volunteers and characters did a great job to keep things lively!pixiedust:

One suggestions for this year's W.I.S.H. meetup - as far away from the stage as possible. I couldn't hear a thing anybody was saying :listen:!!

I'm subscribing! I'm really hoping to run this for 2013. I'll make my decision in May or June ( if registration is still open ). Last year my only race was a 5k in September . So I need to see if I'm ready for a half, what's another 10 miles lol! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter